Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

eastwest wrote: »
    And nothing done about it since. Getting ever closer to adverse possession, and making a nonsense of any talk about Irish Rail driving a 'unit' down the route.

Oh if CIÉ want it, they will have it. A thirty year adverse possession claim against the railway failed at High Court and was confirmed on appeal to the Supreme Court.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-who-used-cié-field-for-30-years-loses-case-1.2737966

In the meanwhile, here’s a glorious rant from the original thread.

‘This is 2009 - deal with it!’ :D
    Nostradamus says that the Sligo line is like a ghost train now with nobody using it but from what I see at Connolly I would dispute this and would suggest that the increased frequency on the line may have spread out the passengers a bit more evenly.
    I said compared to a couple of years ago when the frequecy was increased. There are far less people on the Dublin-Sligo train now. However, the N4 has as many cars as ever and the bus eireann Charlestown-Dublin service which I now take instead of the trains, costs me HALF the PRICE and gets there in the about the same time, on a comfortable bus, with a refreshments and toilet break at Longford.

What's part of this do you not understand? The Inter-City train is a luxury for most Irish people now. We are in the midst of an economic depression and not all of us are employed in the public sector and therefore we are forced to live within a certain economic reality.

There is no civil service department, nor QUANGO paying for my train ticket to the next West on Track magical event. I lose money if I take a day of work to listen to some miricle struck priest demanding Irish tax payers fund his red carpet through the Pearly Gates in front of a goups of excited trainspotters from outside the West of Ireland. This still happening while funding to the likes of Crumlin's Children's Hospital is being reduced and bills being passed through the Dail trying to make Blasphemy as jailable offense. Who has their head up their backsides here? People like me, or 'social justice choo-choo/Our Lady of Knock' brigade?

Many Irish people have to live in the real world. The bus is good enough when the cashflow is down and you have to pay your own fare.

The Western Rail Corridor is an offensive and sickening indulgence considered how bad the Irish economy is now. Same for Clonmel - Rosslare (section), Limerick-Ballybrophy. WIPE THEM OFF THE RAIL MAP AND BUILD THE INTERCONNECTOR AND METRO NORTH NOW.

Terminate all Sligo rail services at Longford, Westport and Ballina services at Athlone. Keep the lines open and maintained - only run specials, fully booked services on them such as GAA etc. Open up the bus market to full deregulation. If the regional newspapers, TDs and councillors, WoT, Clergy complain, then let them organise trains and pack them with passengers if they are so sure of the demand. Nothing to stop them from using local financial resources to lease trains for the this "huge demand"...I am sure every business man in Connacht will be dipping in his pocket and every civil servant in the Department or Teaching profressionar in Connacht will be only to happy to have their salary garnish to fund a start-up of these "vital" servvices. Sure they could have a collection box at the Basillica at Knock!

We need improved medical services here in the West and good bus services to get people to them, not empty trains running across the fields.

This is 2009 - deal with it.
    If you care about rail transport in Ireland you quickly come to the conclusion it has to be COMMUTERS OR OBLIVION.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Are there people using this disused railway as it is to go for walks or does the warning sign stop people from using it?
    Activeme.ie seems to list Tuam to Collooney as a walking route:
    https://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/disused-railway-collooney-to-tuam/

I don't think anyone's paid any attention to the signs for at least the last decade. Sections of it are used by walkers, but I've no idea if you can walk all the way through without meeting walls of brambles. I just view it as a very long thin nature reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Oh if CIÉ want it, they will have it. A thirty year adverse possession claim against the railway failed at High Court and was confirmed on appeal to the Supreme Court.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-who-used-cié-field-for-30-years-loses-case-1.2737966

Forgotten about that case, great news for the greenway in Sligo at least where people have fenced in the remnants of the closed railway as if they own it in their gardens.

westtip wrote: »
    Forgotten about that case, great news for the greenway in Sligo at least where people have fenced in the remnants of the closed railway as if they own it in their gardens.

Well if any use is going to be made of the trackbed, it will be CIÉ driving the JCBs down it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In the meanwhile, here’s a glorious rant from the original thread.

‘This is 2009 - deal with it!’ :D

That post was not by Judgement Day!!

Del.Monte wrote: »

You're right - the rant quoted JD on the top of the post. I'll edit...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

That picture isn't exactly new, probably first came up half way through this thread. Up near Collooney I think.

Hadn't seen it, wasn't a member when thread started in 2009, not sure when half-way point was reached but it's a verrrrry long thread so forgive me!

Hadn't seen it, wasn't a member when thread started in 2009, not sure when half-way point was reached but it's a verrrrry long thread so forgive me!

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Del.Monte wrote: »

Mr Del Monte...he say "no!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That info was made available as far back as 2004. The entire encroachment issue is around that long. Ignored by WOT too.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    That info was made available as far back as 2004. The entire encroachment issue is around that long. Ignored by WOT too.

Not by me (though I'm not WOT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Not by me (though I'm not WOT)

But if course you're not.
    WOT reckon that the wrc is 'not up for discussion'.

But if course you're not.
    WOT reckon that the wrc is 'not up for discussion'.

And as far as I can see, they've never discussed it here. Yet this thread is near the 10,000 post mark. I'd call that Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

even though they don't comment, I stand by my opinion that they are amongst us and hang on our every word.

Isambard wrote: »
    even though they don't comment, I stand by my opinion that they are amongst us and hang on our every word.

An awesome feeling, is it not?

MSC_2014_Blair_Mueller_MSC2014_%28cropped%29.jpg

Isambard wrote: »

I think most of us would agree it really doesn't matter what is written on this thread, about this, there are probably less than 10 people reading it and contributing, what really does matter is the thousands of people in Tuam who support the greenway, the real people who have become members of the Sligo greenway co-op, the real people that support the Kiltimagh greenway group, that is what really matters, and in truth that is what must hurt WOT most, that they no longer hold sway over public opinion on this matter; yes they still have their political cronies like Sean Canney and Sean Kyne, but the greenway campaign also has its political support now, like the entire Sligo County Council and two prominent members of the Dail in Galway East and backbenchers in Sligo who support the greenway campaign. Not to mention the businesses along the route and in Tuam in particular who support the greenway (in towns north of Charlestown the Sligo business community is 100% supportive of the greenway). This thread has had some influence on thinking and debate but in truth ideas and influence have been driven more on Facebook due to its greater reach and the way in which certain members of the greenway campaign have skillfully managed the media content in regard to the greenway in both national and regional media. I have no doubt WOT probably still read this thread, as we allow our thought process to come out here, and it must concern them that a campaign that did not exist when they came on the scene has virtually driven the debate in the public media about the so called Western Rail Corridor for about ten years now. The greenway along the route is very much part of the political consciousness now. Thanks in no small part to a handful of people.

I think most of us would agree it really doesn't matter what is written on this thread, about this, there are probably less than 10 people reading it and contributing, what really does matter is the thousands of people in Tuam who support the greenway, the real people who have become members of the Sligo greenway co-op, the real people that support the Kiltimagh greenway group, that is what really matters, and in truth that is what must hurt WOT most, that they no longer hold sway over public opinion on this matter; yes they still have their political cronies like Sean Canney and Sean Kyne, but the greenway campaign also has its political support now, like the entire Sligo County Council and two prominent members of the Dail in Galway East and backbenchers in Sligo who support the greenway campaign. Not to mention the businesses along the route and in Tuam in particular who support the greenway (in towns north of Charlestown the Sligo business community is 100% supportive of the greenway). This thread has had some influence on thinking and debate but in truth ideas and influence have been driven more on Facebook due to its greater reach and the way in which certain members of the greenway campaign have skillfully managed the media content in regard to the greenway in both national and regional media. I have no doubt WOT probably still read this thread, as we allow our thought process to come out here, and it must concern them that a campaign that did not exist when they came on the scene has virtually driven the debate in the public media about the so called Western Rail Corridor for about ten years now. The greenway along the route is very much part of the political consciousness now. Thanks in no small part to a handful of people.

Its an interesting turnaround then from this report in 2009:
    Ah Derek another timely reminder of the reality of it all - I see in the Galway news they reported thousands signing a petition in Tuam for the extension of the WRCNOA (new abbreviation for WRC North of Athenry)and the Govt to throw out the direct recommendation of An bord Snip,

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8973-thousa...-rail-corridor

Quote:
    “THOUSANDS VOICE OPPOSITION TO PROPOSALS TO HALT WESTERN RAIL CORRIDOR
    Sun 27th September 2009
    Thousands of people in Tuam have voiced their opposition to proposals to abandon phase two of the Western rail corridor.

Over three thousand signatures were collected at four campaign stands in Tuam yesterday, which were organised by the town council.

People signing say they're completely opposed to recent proposal from An Bord Snip, which recommend that the Western rail corridor be finished in Athenry"

You see this in itself is not news but news creation to suit your own needs - a common trick by PR campaigners - get people to sign a simple petition and "prove your case" - lets add a caveat to this report - I wonder how many of those three thousand who reportedly signed up for support of the WRCNOA were public sector employees, or claimed any form of social welfare I wonder how many owned their own private residences - you see the point is this . We are totally F****ked, thanks to the finanancial mismanagement of our government and now we are faced with choices:

Cut public sector pay by 5% according to yesterdays Sunday Times

Introduce new taxes, like rates (which the rest of Europe has BTW)

Cut social welfare payments

Or if we are not prepared to to do the above - well as the Sunday Times reported yesterday on its front page said:

Quote:
    Sunday Times front page yesterday:"A number of ministers are preparing to press for a reduction in next years national development plan funding of up to 1.5 billion"
    Now were these options put to the 3000 signatories in Tuam?? So what do you folks in Tuam want: Your railway to Eyre Square via Athenry which I doubt 95% of the 3000 who reportedly signed the most recent petition will use - or cuts in your social welfare, public sector pay, and the introduction of rates.

The truth is the WRCNOA is now so far down the pecking order of national priorities it will inevitably be axed.....or some plattitudes about preserving the line etc until times get better etc will be spun out...

However, knowing this reality, I confidently predict we will see a steady stream of press releases from various bodies and organisations about how vital this trainline is and interlinked stories over the next two months. I presume that WOT are busy writing the back up news release to the news from the WDC published last week - to keep the whole WRCNOA in the public eye - they are masters of managing the media in the west - I await to see the next "story" in the western people - West on Track states how the Western Development Council data further supports the case for the WRCNOA and how everyone living in Dublin 4 is plotting against them,. and hwo this vital piece of infrastructure must go ahead....... think you know the jist of what they usually say. The people of the west cannot be ignored any longer etc (yeh right look at the Sligo Cancer facility campaign!!)

This way they make the myth become a seeming reality.

Of course, as we all know - it won't happen - cos we are broke and in truth its not needed - but another book needs to be written on that one!

Now lets look at that piece from the Western Development Council and the line that says:
    Quote:
    “There is significant congestion on the current primary road network into Galway city, particularly the N17 and N18, suggesting latent demand for commuter rail services,”

This sentence belies credibility - Surely what these people in their cars want going to places like Balybrit to work is an improved N17/18 and a bypass of Claregalway; wake up, these people are not going to get out of the comfort of their cars for second rate commuter train service. they might use a better bus service if it actually took them to where they want to go, and was flexible and ran on time and had later night services - but they are not all heading for five minutes walking distance of Eyre Square and they all want the flexibility of their cars to get home at night. The latent demand for commuter rail service does not exist! Get the buses in order for a fraction of the cost and you will solve the public transport issues in Galway and routes into Galway
    Last edited by westtip; 28-09-2009 at 17:23.

I would be inclined to disagree.

This thread is what prompted my interest in the topic, has allowed me to keep up with all the goings on from all sides and has motivated me to actually get involved at a local level (more to follow in a few weeks)

Lord GnT good too see you have found yourself a job as official archivist of this thread and its predecessor. Stay happy, I am sure you will find many more jewels to requote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

If one was travelling on the N17 and one of those timber laden Waterford bound trains criss-crossed the N17 four times within 7km- how long would one potentially be delayed if one was travelling from Claregalway to Horan Road to catch a plane, to say Liverpool? ( Not a rhetorical question). I was 15 minutes waiting for a two carriage railcar to pass at Manulla last week, so I'm genuinely concerned and curious.

I think it's called a reality check, in 2009 the first phase of WRC had not yet been proven to be a failure in terms of living upto expectations. It has. People know the truth, they also know the Germans are not going to put up with this nonsense. Pragmatism and reality have broken out. False promises are being seen for what they are. 2009 was a different world.

I think it's called a reality check, in 2009 the first phase of WRC had not yet been proven to be a failure in terms of living upto expectations. It has. People know the truth, they also know the Germans are not going to put up with this nonsense. Pragmatism and reality have broken out. False promises are being seen for what they are. 2009 was a different world.

And yet not that different. The financial crisis of 2008 may have receded, but certain shibboleths remain untouched.

And yet not that different. The financial crisis of 2008 may have receded, but certain shibboleths remain untouched.

Indeedie and for those who don't do the Irish Times crossword everyday:

shibboleth
    noun
    a custom, principle, or belief distinguishing a particular class or group of people, especially a long-standing one regarded as outmoded or no longer important.

Now that Sean Canney has been cast into the political darkness, what are the implications for his friends in the rail lobby? Will he still be able to block greenway development from his perch outside the door of Minister Ross' office?

Now that Sean Canney has been cast into the political darkness, what are the implications for his friends in the rail lobby? Will he still be able to block greenway development from his perch outside the door of Minister Ross' office?

What kind of perch? The fish one or the parrot one? If its a fish, is it kept in a tank with a lead on it? This late in the thread, these are the things we think of to keep it alive.

What kind of perch? The fish one or the parrot one? If its a fish, is it kept in a tank with a lead on it? This late in the thread, these are the things we think of to keep it alive.

I had pictured the parrot variety.
    Probably a polygon now.

I had pictured the parrot variety.
    Probably a polygon now.
    It's a Norwegian blue!

It's a Norwegian blue!

‘Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

• Advertisement

‘Ello, Miss?