Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Personally, I believe that a golden opportunity was recently missed when the LUAS was extended to Broombridge.
    It should have stopped at Broadstone and the station reopened along with the Athlone - Mullingar line, this would have provided an alternative path into Dublin for commuters from the West & Northwest, while releasing capacity on the east coast lines.

That's the kind of thinking that is often missing from infrastructural planning. Thankfully at least the Mullingar-Athlone route is now safeguarded by the greenway in case it is ever needed for such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

eastwest wrote: »
    That's the kind of thinking that is often missing from infrastructural planning. Thankfully at least the Mullingar-Athlone route is now safeguarded by the greenway in case it is ever needed for such a scenario.

Would echo dolanbaker on this.. been saying this for years and with a second busaurus on site also.. Would have created a transport hub within walking distance of Smithfield and the quays, with Luas connections through to sandy ford and brides glen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Personally, I believe that a golden opportunity was recently missed when the LUAS was extended to Broombridge.
    It should have stopped at Broadstone and the station reopened along with the Athlone - Mullingar line, this would have provided an alternative path into Dublin for commuters from the West & Northwest, while releasing capacity on the east coast lines.

No doubt about it. But it was buried by the then Transport Minister a few years ago. Not that CIE would have been that visionary anyway. They were only looking at Broadstone in relation to Navan line.

But it's point of destination is now luas and there won't be any changing that.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    No doubt about it. But it was buried by the then Transport Minister a few years ago. Not that CIE would have been that visionary anyway. They were only looking at Broadstone in relation to Navan line.

But it's point of destination is now luas and there won't be any changing that.
    Replacing the tramlines isn't that big a task, just an expensive waste of new infrastructure, but if the line was rerouted to the north to meet the M50 at Ballymun with a P+R it could work well, the line between Broadstone & Broombridge can be dual gauge to retain the maintenance facilities there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Will it be handed over for railway use in that case, I wonder?

• Advertisement

Will it be handed over for railway use in that case, I wonder?

It belongs to CIE, so it's their call.
    The greenway is built on condition that rail has precedent.

It belongs to CIE, so it's their call.
    The greenway is built on condition that rail has precedent.
    I would imagine that if there is ever a rail revival on that line, the greenway will be worn out and due for major resurfacing and repairs.

So no real loss, the greenway developers will get their money's worth out of it.

It’s remarkable that bypasses and motorways open up land for development though. You would be forgiven for believing that vested interests want money spent on railways diverted to road building.

The only interest I have in your quoted post is the person that thanked it. As usual avoiding any kind of questioning or provision of supporting information to back up a wild claim.

The only interest I have in your quoted post is the person that thanked it. As usual avoiding any kind of questioning or provision of supporting information to back up a wild claim.

I haven't made a claim, merely an expression that one would be forgiven for believing that. The burden of proof doesn't apply. As Westtip said,
    Indeedie, what I cannot take serious though is takng this thread serious, I mean for all of ye, isn't it just a bit of a giggle, like banter down the pub, now and again engaging seriously. I mean come on, are there really people out there who give a fiddlers puck what happens or what is said on this thread?

I haven't made a claim, merely an expression that one would be forgiven for believing that. The burden of proof doesn't apply. As Westtip said,

You're forgiven

• Advertisement

Encroachment on the WRC. A greenway will protect the route until such time as it passes the required assessments and becomes a viable project.

Given that Irish Rail are actively looking to formally abandon sections of the route, if its not taken by the greenway, it'll be lost to gardens, cows and crops forever

Encroachment on the WRC. A greenway will protect the route until such time as it passes the required assessments and becomes a viable project.

Given that Irish Rail are actively looking to formally abandon sections of the route, if its not taken by the greenway, it'll be lost to gardens, cows and crops forever

But they have the LUAS up in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

It's quality posts like this that have made this thread worthwhile.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    It's quality posts like this that have made this thread worthwhile.

Interestingly though, they haven’t abandoned any section of the line between Athenry and Sligo yet. Assertion of title by Irish Rail done this way:

30261972_1928934280750260_8874786289178640384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bebd1c7ae6b875ec77223cc0c93b0349&oe=5B66464E

For anything else CIÉ are perfectly within their rights to run a rail-road JCB over any other encroachment, and should do so.

You're forgiven

Ego te absolvo, tuo. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Interestingly though, they haven’t abandoned any section of the line between Athenry and Sligo yet. Assertion of title by Irish Rail done this way:

30261972_1928934280750260_8874786289178640384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bebd1c7ae6b875ec77223cc0c93b0349&oe=5B66464E

For anything else CIÉ are perfectly within their rights to run a rail-road JCB over any other encroachment, and should do so.

Of course they are but given they are looking to abandon these lines that wouldn't do much for their case

marno21 wrote: »
    Of course they are but given they are looking to abandon these lines that wouldn't do much for their case

It’s two years since that kite was flown. They’ve done the works illustrated since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Funny how this is exactly the kind of example West on Track have never highlighted in any of their facebook posts or press releases.

westtip wrote: »
    Funny how this is exactly the kind of example West on Track have never highlighted in any of their facebook posts or press releases.

14 years ago this was pointed out to them and they have been overwhelmingly consistent in ignoring the issue of encroachment of the line between Claremorris and Colooney. You could tell them there are mass graves underneath the line and you'd still meet a wall of silence. It now makes me laugh.:D

14 years ago this was pointed out to them and they have been overwhelmingly consistent in ignoring the issue of encroachment of the line between Claremorris and Colooney. You could tell them there are mass graves underneath the line and you'd still meet a wall of silence. It now makes me laugh.:D

West on track has long given up on Claremorris Collooney, apart from a few diehards who still believe.
    The brains in West on track seem to be focused for some reason on a freight line from Athenry to Claremorris, despite the fact that their friends on the WDC were unable to prove a case for freight in their consultancy report on freight.

• Advertisement

West on track has long given up on Claremorris Collooney, apart from a few diehards who still believe.
    The brains in West on track seem to be focused for some reason on a freight line from Athenry to Claremorris, despite the fact that their friends on the WDC were unable to prove a case for freight in their consultancy report on freight.

Another few years and there'll be gardens, driveways and **** over that line too.

I'm in my "near end of thread" mode.:D

Another few years and there'll be gardens, driveways and **** over that line too.

I hear the memory of Magnus Magnusson saying "I've started so I'll finish" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Are there people using this disused railway as it is to go for walks or does the warning sign stop people from using it?
    Activeme.ie seems to list Tuam to Collooney as a walking route:
    https://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/disused-railway-collooney-to-tuam/

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Couldn't Collooney to Bellaghy be a Greenway in another few years! SCC on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

12647244_543545725810862_6823371452501787008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0d83a111b1029b6b0b4f5f4d32567cc4&oe=5B6799BA

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

mayo.mick wrote: »
    12647244_543545725810862_6823371452501787008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0d83a111b1029b6b0b4f5f4d32567cc4&oe=5B6799BA

OMG! Def not photo-shopped? Or trendy railway sleepers from a salvage yard! Suppose if IR had lost interest there was nothing/nobody to stop them? Do CoCo not have any role, presumbly not in compliance with PP?

I hear the memory of Magnus Magnusson saying "I've started so I'll finish" :D

I sure will and why not.:D

OMG! Def not photo-shopped? Or trendy railway sleepers from a salvage yard! Suppose if IR had lost interest there was nothing/nobody to stop them? Do CoCo not have any role, presumbly not in compliance with PP?

That picture isn't exactly new, probably first came up half way through this thread. Up near Collooney I think.

Couldn't Collooney to Bellaghy be a Greenway in another few years! SCC on board!

Yes, that is happening, although it is being fought by a few local diehards and funding may be delayed by a WOT senator who has fought against the project.

• Advertisement

That picture isn't exactly new, probably first came up half way through this thread. Up near Collooney I think.

And nothing done about it since. Getting ever closer to adverse possession, and making a nonsense of any talk about Irish Rail driving a 'unit' down the route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement