Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair Galway city (merge)

Options
  • 21-11-2006 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

my fan is on its way out, i'll probably need a replacement, but i dont want to go to pc world. Can anyone recommend anywhere good that'll do a proper job replacing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

why don't ya do it yourself? just order the part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭sgthighway

JIZZLORD wrote:
    my fan is on its way out, i'll probably need a replacement, but i dont want to go to pc world. Can anyone recommend anywhere good that'll do a proper job replacing it?
    LOL @ PC World. They wouldn't have a clue anyways.
    If its on the way out you could try cleaning it with a can of compressed air. It can be hard enough to get spare parts for laptops.

What about some lube? All joking aside, I have a spray can of an odourless lube that you use on photo-copiers, shredders etc you could try giving it a blast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I need it done fast and proper as i have so much college **** on it and exams are a coming.
    i think a ball bearing must be screwed, everytime i move the thing it makes a dodgy noise and now when i start it it makes a horrible sound, grinds to a halt and then after a minute it begins to work half decently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would say try lubricating it too as a last resort. If the lubricant is too "watery" it might flow into the circuit controlling the fan and cause a short.

What sort of Notebook is it?

• Advertisement

it's a ghey compaq, i trawled the internet trying to find diy solutions, though i found how to fix the problem if it happens to my housemates one. damned intarweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

They'll have to probably order the part as well as you so you're better off just getting it in Maplin and doing it yourself.

I'll help if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

There is a crowd on shop street next to the army and navy store that do laptop repairs but I've never used them so I can't say how good they'd be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

They're pretty dear...charge €40 up front just for someone to look at the laptop...even if it isn't fixed. And then whatever it costs to fix on top of that..

Jamey wrote:
    They're pretty dear...charge €40 up front just for someone to look at the laptop...even if it isn't fixed. And then whatever it costs to fix on top of that..

Holy Jebuz, I should get into that business :eek:
    What about if they fsck up your laptop trying to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I asked that question and you like have to sign a contract saying that you're letting them look at it at your own risk! Dunno who'd be mad enough to pay them. Anyways, there's another place on Fr.Griffin Road that fixes them. Its around the corner from that grocery shop that I can;t remember the name of. Its like a house rather than a store though...

there must be people stupid enough to pay if theyre still in business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 user1983

The reason we charge to look at laptops is to stop a queue of people into the shop to sort out minor problems - we'd have hundreds coming in to install software like norton if we didnt charge. also, if we didnt charge ya a diagnostics fee and then repaired it, and it was a heap of crap and ye didnt bother to come in and collect it that would be a waste of time for our TRAINED technicians who are trained in conjunction with micrsoft and intel. there not there for their own health ya know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Good crowd in the Business Park near the Marriot, over near the veg place.

user1983 wrote:
    The reason we charge to look at laptops is to stop a queue of people into the shop to sort out minor problems - we'd have hundreds coming in to install software like norton if we didnt charge. also, if we didnt charge ya a diagnostics fee and then repaired it, and it was a heap of crap and ye didnt bother to come in and collect it that would be a waste of time for our TRAINED technicians who are trained in conjunction with micrsoft and intel. there not there for their own health ya know.....

In fairness, you're using the word TRAINED as if it's a benefit. It's the LEAST you should have and is expected that your staff are capable of doing their job proberly. I have my degree, Cisco & MS certs and still work on a 'no fix, no fee' basis and i'm insured incase I destroy someone's machine, I thought that's the way almost all people *should* work

Fairplay though you must be making money if you're still in business

-Edit- To quote yer first line, you should be damn grateful for ANY business you get, whether it be big or small, things may not be so good for you in a year or two and you'll be damn glad to have people coming into you for 'small' jobs

jesus, this is quite ironic as i still havent got my laptop fixed :D

JIZZLORD wrote:
    jesus, this is quite ironic as i still havent got my laptop fixed :D

Jizz - You can have a can of the spray stuff I use for fan's if you want to give it a try. If that doesn't work just order the part online, i'll go through the DIY process - for a nice cold pint ;) (Of whisky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 user1983

JohnCleary wrote:
    In fairness, you're using the word TRAINED as if it's a benefit. It's the LEAST you should have and is expected that your staff are capable of doing their job proberly. I have my degree, Cisco & MS certs and still work on a 'no fix, no fee' basis and i'm insured incase I destroy someone's machine, I thought that's the way almost all people *should* work

Fairplay though you must be making money if you're still in business

-Edit- To quote yer first line, you should be damn grateful for ANY business you get, whether it be big or small, things may not be so good for you in a year or two and you'll be damn glad to have people coming into you for 'small' jobs

dont get me wrong, any business is good business......
    people think the techs are out to screw people....not so. i've worked in manys an i.t place and the techs in pcworld are highly qualified...i noticed on one comment that someone said that the techs were glorified sales people....two totally different sections of the store.

sales people know the basics...if they knew more, they'd be techs! most people like to speak to sales staff who dont throw jargon at them...if you are an i.t wizz, ya dont need to ask the simple questions, but if your stumped i could bet ya my entire wage that the tech depatment could answer it!

also, i said minor....not small....different meanings

user - I agree totally. I don't buy stuff in PC World unless im really stuck (Bought a laptop alright before but didnt need to ask any questions) but they really should have at LEAST 1-2 tech's on the floor. That way if a customer asked a sales guy a 'tech' question, they can just bring the techie over and let him loose... Surprised that PC World haven't copped onto this, it would be good for business imho

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

There's a repair shop out in on the Headford rd which I used, can't remember the name but he was excellent, only charged 70euro for a harddrive replacement and operating system setup too, very cheap, nice fella too.
    It's beside the fruit and veg shop on the Dunnes stores area, those group of shops there, he's upstairs, I think I got it in the golden pages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

That's the one I meant

Yeah that's the same one, excellent, South African guy I think.
    Computer Ace is the name of them I think....Headford rd anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

there's a fella named Séan Louwen trading as The PCGP out on Fr. Griffin road...i've found him very straight and reasonably priced... info@pcgp.ie i think is the email.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    there's a fella named Séan Louwen trading as The PCGP out on Fr. Griffin road...i've found him very straight and reasonably priced... info@pcgp.ie i think is the email.

Is this guy still in business, I can;t contact him by phone or with that email,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Dude on Eyre street (near Mcswiggins) - key popped off my new-ish VIOA and although didn t get to fix it in giving time said it could probably be done. Didnt charge and I ll drop it back to them when its needed less but reckon it will take a while to click back in which will no doubt cost a couple of quid - but dont actually care!

yeah I heard about those lads, I'll try them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

lapteck is the name I think, the lads are very good though. I got a few things sorted in there and have recommended them on numerous occasions with everybody feeling the same

Laptech is right, I called in and they recommended I either fix it myself or dump it, I found them very honest, the problem I had was power and they told me that it's a third party that does that work for them and he'd be too expensive in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Hi All.

Can anyone recommend a good place in Galway to get a laptop fixed? I think the problem is the backlight inverter, or maybe the backlight itself.

Thanks

Rosboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

rosboy wrote: »
    Hi All.

Can anyone recommend a good place in Galway to get a laptop fixed? I think the problem is the backlight inverter, or maybe the backlight itself.

Thanks

Rosboy.
    i use laptech up by mcswiggans, find both
    the lads in there brilliant

Advertisement