Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A way to sidestep the 4c carbon tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Bear in mind that he 37c mentioned there includes:
    - buying rights to look for the oil
    - finding the oil (a very expensive lottery)
    - buying rights to the oil (up front and/or per litre)
    - drilling and pumping the oil (a rig costs up to $400m, and roughnecks aren't cheap)
    - shipping the oil
    - refining the oil
    - mixing in clever additives
    - storing the petrol
    - shipping the petrol
    - running a massive multinational organisation (salaries, premises, taxes, legal, advertising, r&d, sponsorship (motorsport, politics;)) and what have you)

When you consider that farmers get about 20c for extracting a litre of milk from a cow, 37c/l for all of the above strikes me as pretty phenomenal. For the government to come along and take twice as much for no work must seem pretty galling. No wonder they're such c*nts.

Good point. Stripping taxes away, pertol and diesel are phenominally cheap per litre compared to just about any liquid product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

JHMEG wrote: »
    Exxon made $40 billion profit in 2008, the biggest profit ever recorded by a US company.

Shell made $31 billion profit in 2008, a record for a British company.

I'd say that gives them scope for flexible pricing. ;)

According to Wikipedia (i'll welcome a more credible source if you cite it) shell made 26 billion profit in 2008, from 458 billion turnover. About 5.5%. So 2c of our 37c is shell's profit margin. A little more than I thought allright. 2c off the base price would knock 3-4c off the price at the pump. So if shell decided not to expand or pay it's shareholders (us), they could just about absorb yesterday's 4c tax increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There is not a simple relationship between profit and turnover in a company as diverse as Shell.

Anyway, can we get back on topic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyway, can we get back on topic.

Indeed.

Tried it today with the Accent.Ran perfectly on a ratio 4.5l of e5 to 1 litre of e85.
    Think thats around a 19% mix.No engine light and no problems.Going to bump it up to a 25% mix on next fill.

Also going to drive it with the diagnostic machine connected to see if I can get a fuel consumption reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Indeed.

Tried it today with the Accent.Ran perfectly on a ratio 4.5l of e5 to 1 litre of e85.
    Think thats around a 19% mix.No engine light and no problems.Going to bump it up to a 25% mix on next fill.

Also going to drive it with the diagnostic machine connected to see if I can get a fuel consumption reading.

Nice to see someone with a bit of imagination! :)

Don't forget to keep notes of mpg etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nice to see someone with a bit of imagination! :)

Don't forget to keep notes of mpg etc.

Been reading up on the whole e85 thing after reading this thread.Seems to be an awful lot of myths about the stuff.Apparently most cars newer than the mid 90s can cope with it quite well up to a 30-40% mix despite the manufacturers recommendations.

Ive also been trawling the web looking for reports of actual engine damage caused by e85 but so far havent found one confirmed report--most are hearsay except for those regarding small engines like outboards and lawnmowers.

Advertisement