Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A way to sidestep the 4c carbon tax

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Works for me, you're mileage (sic) may vary.

From midnight tonight unleaded in my local Tesco (Maynooth) should be 119.9c a litre. E85 in my local Maxol will be 97.9 still. That's 22c of a difference, or 4.5 litres worth of carbon tax.

Simple maths. For every 4.5 litres of unleaded add in 1 litre of E85 into your tank. That'll give you 18% of a mix of E85 (15.5% to 19.5% ethanol depending on your unleaded).

[Standard disclaimer: studies show your car will probably run fine on up to 65% ethanol, but it's your call]

At 30% E85 I seem to get better economy too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Is E85 not included in the carbon tax? sure only 15% of it is ethanol. If it isnt happy days, ive been running e85 for almost a year now. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E85 is 85% ethanol, which is not a fossil fuel.

Not all fossil fuels were targetted in the budget. E85 (or rather the 15% which is unleaded) was not one of those not touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

(Taking off my petrol industry hat for this)

sorry but the hassle of going to 2 different petrol stations to save 2 euro on a €50 fill is not practical at all

You can do it in the same station if you like (Maxol sell Unleaded aswell as E85). I just chose to do it in two as I do some shopping in Tesco and pass Maxol on the way home.

My post did leave it open to the imagination as to how far this could be taken. The last fill I did worked out almost €5 cheaper (now it will be even more).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Hey this never occured to me!So I could just go to the local Maxol (which sells E85 afaik) and just pump in some of both and save a packet AND maybe even have a faster more economical running car !So you reckon 1:4.5 is a safe optimum?Cool!Eh youre SURE about this!?

• Advertisement

Yes, you could stick the green pump in, fill up so much Unleaded and then top if off using the Red E85 pump.

For me a ratio of about 1 part E85 to 3 Unleaded seems to be optimum. I don't know about anyone else's car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

What are you driving JHMEG if you dont mind me askin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So you suggest running 30% ethanol? Won't that cause potential long term damage to the fuel system? Not to mention ethanol burns off more quickly leaving you to fill the car more..

Civic IMA (ie Hybrid). Not the only one here to have experminted with E85 tho. Matt Simis, derry and Ninety9er have all run or are running E85.

Edit: Tenzor - as stated 30% E85 seems optimum for me in terms of efficiency. That would suggest it burns off slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

JHMEG wrote: »
    Works for me, you're mileage (sic) may vary.

From midnight tonight unleaded in my local Tesco (Maynooth) should be 119.9c a litre. E85 in my local Maxol will be 97.9 still.

I bought petrol in a Maxol garage a couple of hours ago and it was around the 1.19 mark. Do you wreckon that include the 4c increase? THe B******s didnt even wait until midnight if thats the case :)

• Advertisement

Tiesto wrote: »
    I bought petrol in a Maxol garage a couple of hours ago and it was around the 1.19 mark. Do you wreckon that include the 4c increase? THe B******s didnt even wait until midnight if thats the case :)

1.19 is right for dublin. been that price for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tiesto wrote: »

Shud be 1.23 tomorrow..

Kinda the reason I've been buying it in Tesco for 115.9, that and the clubcard points: A lot of 4-for-1 offers... eg €10 worth of clubcard points is worth €40 against a ferry ticket.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Simple maths. For every 4.5 litres of unleaded add in 1 litre of E85 into your tank. That'll give you 18% of a mix of E85 (15% to 18% ethanol depending on your unleaded).

Assuming that the regular unleaded is 100% petrol (which it may not be), then adding 18% E85 (which is 85% ethanol / 15% petrol) will give a ethanol content to the mix of at least 15.45%. (Of the 5.5L mix, only 85% of 1L (or 850ml) is ethanol).

If the unleaded was something like E5 - 95% petrol / 5% ethanol, then that mix ratio would have about 19.55% ethanol.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Slightly flaky maths there.

True, but the mad thing is your maths are even more wrong, primarily cos of this:
    85% of 1L (or 150ml)

85% of 1L is.... 850ml!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lads, both your maths leave a bit to be desired :p

In case the unleaded is 100% unleaded petrol:

l petrol eth
    4.5 4.5 0
    1 0.15 0.85
    5.5 4.65 0.85
    perc 0.154545455

In case the unleaded is in fact E5 (95% unleaded petrol and 5% ethanol)

4.5 4.275 0.225
    1 0.15 0.85
    5.5 4.425 1.075
    perc 0.195454545

So between 15.5 and 19.5 percent

True, but the mad thing is your maths are even more wrong, primarily cos of this:

85% of 1L is.... 850ml!

Yes, that bit wasn't clear, I've corrected it. Does it look right now? :D

unkel wrote: »
    Lads, both your maths leave a bit to be desired :p

In case the unleaded is 100% unleaded petrol:

l petrol eth
    4.5 4.5 0
    1 0.15 0.85
    5.5 4.65 0.85
    perc 0.154545455

In case the unleaded is in fact E5 (95% unleaded petrol and 5% ethanol)

4.5 4.275 0.225
    1 0.15 0.85
    5.5 4.425 1.075
    perc 0.195454545

So between 15.5 and 19.5 percent

Yep, totally right chief. :pac:

macplaxton wrote: »
    Now that's back to front. E85 is 85% petrol 15% ethanol, check again. :pac:

Maybe you should check again, Sir :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Sorry now for asking a dumb ass qusetion but what if I was to run the wifes 02 Scenic on E85 and nothing else ( cause I know she'll tell me where to stick it if I tell her to start mixing at the pumps :D ) what potential damage might I do short term if any!!!

• Advertisement

Can we just say 15% to 20% and leave it at that. It's not really relevant anyway.

Can we just say 15% to 20%

Where did you get those figures? ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Sorry now for asking a dumb ass qusetion but what if I was to run the wifes 02 Scenic on E85 and nothing else ( cause I know she'll tell me where to stick it if I tell her to start mixing at the pumps :D ) what potential damage might I do short term if any!!!

Car probably won't work on 100% E85 (there are some potential fuelling issues), tho you are unlikely to damage it.

Run mixes from 10% upwards in it and see which suits best.

Matt Simis posted a table before of compounds which are damaged by alcolohol. None are in a modern car.

There are rumours that as petrol is a slightly better lubricant than E85 that you should change your oil more often if using E85, but I have always changed oil at twice the frequency recommended by the manufacturer.

Well Fuel pumps, fuel lines fuel tank will all corrode. Along with anything aluminium along the way.

Matt Simis posted a table before of compounds which are damaged by alcolohol. None are in a modern car.

Here's Matt's post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

kona wrote: »
    Well Fuel pumps, fuel lines fuel tank will all corrode. Along with anything aluminium along the way.

Okay so 4.5 to 1 is fine , a little bit more isnt a problem , 100% just wont run, the potential damage is to the fueling system ( is that short or long term ) but this is debatable.....Am I on top now!

Your figures are correct.

Maybe you should check again, Sir :p

I will, I have and I will concede, that my working-out is correct, but my composition of E85 fuel is wrong. :o:D.

Time for another edit...

Okay so 4.5 to 1 is fine , a little bit more isnt a problem , 100% just wont run, the potential damage is to the fueling system ( is that short or long term ) but this is debatable.....Am I on top now!

100% will probably run, but with the CEL on. With the CEL on the ECU is running open loop and the car will drink fuel. It also may not actually run that well either.

You won't do any damage to the fuelling system.

As I said, start small (10%) and work up. (Just don't start at E85 in on top of an empty tank.) Keep records and do your maths. 10% to 20% for me as much as makes no difference, but by 30% there is a difference. I have run at 50% but have had pretty bad fuel economy. The weather turned cold at the same time so I'm not sure which is to blame. Further investigation is required.

• Advertisement

Can we just say 15% to 20% and leave it at that. It's not really relevant anyway.
    Your figures are correct.
    +1

Personally I would like to buy proper 100% petrol, but then I don't run anything modern.

Advertisement