Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 107 'Penn Vs. Sanchez' **Official Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

marvin_eastman_cut-300x225.jpg

Almost as bad as big bad Marvin!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

sonic.trip wrote: »
    have this bet on:

BJ Penn , Frank Mir , Kenny Florian , Stefan Struve , Jon Fitch , DaMarques Johnson , Matt Wiman , Johny Hendricks , Alan Belcher

anyone know how wiman and hendricks done?

2euro bet = 105 euro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Ridonkulous cut from the kick at the end! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Bet ya wish ya put more on now :P

Bed now :)

• Advertisement

flawless performance by bj. who in hell is going to give him a competitive fight at 55?

flawless performance by bj. who in hell is going to give him a competitive fight at 55?

There's nobody!

Gomi is in talks with UFC right now, but i dont think he'll go near BJ.BJ has already beaten him anyway.

Aoki was a decent shout from Joe but he's a bad style for a UFC crowd!

Most exciting fight would be perhaps Eddie Alvarez!

But he's by far No.1 in the world!

What a superb comeback by DeMarcus!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Great fights. Andddd it's 6 a.m. We're good fans.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    There's nobody!

Gomi is in talks with UFC right now, but i dont think he'll go near BJ.BJ has already beaten him anyway.

Aoki was a decent shout from Joe but he's a bad style for a UFC crowd!

Most exciting fight would be perhaps Eddie Alvarez!

But he's by far No.1 in the world!

I forgot about eddie. The ufc need to get him on the payroll.

• Advertisement

I really thought this was going to be a tough one for BJ cause diego is a great fighter, but watching that aint nobody is going to challenge im for quite a while! his balance, movement, defence and striking are immense, a true champion!

Methinks Dana needs to get Shinya Aoki on the phone pronto!!!

I really thought this was going to be a tough one for BJ cause diego is a great fighter, but watching that aint nobody is going to challenge im for quite a while! his balance, movement, defence and striking are immense, a true champion!

I don't know why i always think these really tough guys will put it up to Penn. I thought it about Sherk, Stevenson, Florian and now Sanchez and he made each one look ordinary!

He's a completely different level! Incredible!

consultech wrote: »

From a competition point of view, yes

But from a business point of view, i don't think he will!

Ever see Aoki just sit on his ass and try lure his opponents into his guard?

That would NOT go down well with a UFC crowd!

I don't know why i always think these really tough guys will put it up to Penn. I thought it about Sherk, Stevenson, Florian and now Sanchez and he made each one look ordinary!

He's a completely different level! Incredible!

he really made sanchez look ordinary there, no more YES's for while :D

on that note and 160 euro richer its time for bed :D

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
    * Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
    * Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
    * Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
    * Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
    * Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman
    * Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks
    * Lucio Linhares vs. Rousimar Palhares
    *Edgar Garcia vs. DaMarques Johnson
    * Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant

only one I got wrong was burns :p feck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

It's a pity BJ didn't finish that in the first round. It was like watching a boxing match, you can usually tell from the first two minutes who the better fighter is and it's just a matter of when. The closest Diego got to a take down? Getting Bj's knee on the ground ?

I can't see anyone beating BJ at 155 in the UFC. I think there's a slight chance of people taking it to him in a ring, BJ is the master of take down defence that incorporates the cage, maybe in a ring, some of those big names outside of the UFC will have a chance of taking him down.

But if they do take him down, what then? I don't think Aoki could submit him and he's not much of a GNPer. Would Alvarez or Thompson/Melendez be better?

I'd rather see BJ clear out the international 155 divison before going back to 170

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

consultech wrote: »

Nah aoki is nowhere near bj's level. Judo and wrestling not good enough to take bj down and even when it gets there he doesnt have a hope in hell of submitting him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

His tooth is stuck in his mouth-piece, ouch!

Great fight so far!

Struve is lucky that flying knee counter didnt knock him out! He'd have never been able to show his face at the UFC again!

eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

callaway92 wrote: »
    eh??
    think hes making reference to fedor vs arlovski, fedor knocked him out when he went for a flying knee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Pretty good PPV. Not the best but not the worst either. I'd give it a 6.8 out of 10. Penn was class, and Mir did the job. Ken Flo, I dont know what to say about him. He's a good fighter at his level, but i just find him boring and dont particularly want to see BJ beat him up again.

The abiding memory I have will be that cut on Diego, I think its the biggest cut i've ever seen on a head. It looked about 6 inches long and 2 deep. Yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

think hes making reference to fedor vs arlovski, fedor knocked him out when he went for a flying knee

ya, but he said, Struve would never be able to show his face in the UFC again:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'd give it a 6.8 out of 10.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Just after watching it now. Mir was very impressive as was florian. BJ is just on another level to anyone i the division and i cant see anyone beating him for a while
    is diego naturally a southpaw or does he just fight that way because of his oppponent? why the hell is he fighting in that stance and jabbing with his left? its shocking to watch. by the time he throws it BJ (and his previous opponents from memory) was gone, but he still followed up with the right then anyway. seriously needs a boxing coach.
    SOME FECKING CUT!!!

The ufc need to bring in some new faces for the 55 devision i thinks. Maybe the likes of alvarez, jz, shaolin mendez, thompson or Kawajiri would give bj a better fight than last night.

Outside of Bj, Sanchez and florian are the two best fighters in the lightweight devision, and bj just destroyed them both. He made it look easy.

Edgar is a great fighter but he is too small for a lighweight, and not on bjs level, skill wise tbh.

If the ufc dont bring some of these guys I wouldnt be opposed to see him going back up to 170. Not agaisnt gsp, but maybe some other top 10 guy, like hardy, fitch, or koscheck. Yes, I would pay money to see him put a beating on koscheck!

Just after watching it now. Mir was very impressive as was florian. BJ is just on another level to anyone i the division and i cant see anyone beating him for a while
    is diego naturally a southpaw or does he just fight that way because of his oppponent? why the hell is he fighting in that stance and jabbing with his left? its shocking to watch. by the time he throws it BJ (and his previous opponents from memory) was gone, but he still followed up with the right then anyway. seriously needs a boxing coach.
    SOME FECKING CUT!!!

I think he is a lefty alright. His boxing has never been particualrly strong, but was really exposed last night against a fluid striker. Diego has his 5 strike combination in mind when he throws, and just telegraphs them out there with no anticiapation of bjs movement.

Bjs stand up is on another level, He knows where his opponent is going to be when he throws, and throws the most suitable punch/combo. His mma boxing is truely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

after watching that fight twice i still cant see bjs uppercut when diego went for teh takedown! his hands are so fast!

If Freddie Roach is saying you have the best hands in MMA; you're doing something right.

Fightmetric stats are out.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Penn-Sanchez.html

Bj absolutely raped diego here.

Penn total strikes landed - 150
    Sanchez total strikes landed - 8

Penn strikes landed to the head - 137
    Sanchez strikes landed to the head - 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

he really made sanchez look ordinary there, no more YES's for while :D