Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 107 'Penn Vs. Sanchez' **Official Thread**

Options
  • 09-12-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

200px-Ufc107poster2.jpg

Venue: FedExForum
    Broadcast: Pay-per-view & ESPN UK

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
    * Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
    * Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
    * Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
    * Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
    * Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman
    * Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks
    * Lucio Linhares vs. Rousimar Palhares
    * Edgar Garcia vs. DaMarques Johnson
    * Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant

logo_espn.gifThis event will be showen in Ireland and the UK live on ESPN (Chous NTL, Channel 407. Sky Channel 417. ESPN HD Sky Channel 442) Sunday Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 3am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I think the main event could be fight of the year, It will be close but I think BJ will pick up the win.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Guida vs Florian seems well down the card for a big fight like that... I love/hate Guida so I dont know if I want to see him win or lose :)

Penn better be in better shape then against BSP...I suspect he will be...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'll stick my neck out and say Diego to win...(most likely by Decision)

MAIN CARD

* Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks

The top 2 matches all have potential to be great fights and so does Florian v Guida

DeVore wrote: »
    Guida vs Florian seems well down the card for a big fight like that... I love/hate Guida so I dont know if I want to see him win or lose :)

Penn better be in better shape then against BSP...I suspect he will be...

DeV.

BSP?
    is this a typo or some joke I don't know about?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

GSP... soz!

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    GSP... soz!

DeV.

Ahhhh, just thought it was some new nick name for GSP.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Can't wait for this fight. Big potential to be fight of the year, I hope Diego does it.

I'm big fans of Fitch and Guida so I'm hoping for them 2 to win too. Going to be tough for Clay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

oh man, i love diego's style but then im a big fan of b.j, i think diego will be a real threat but i think b.j can do it. gonna be a great fight though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

BJ, Frank, Kenny and Fitch to win. Havn't really looked at the rest of the card yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

MAIN CARD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not sure about the betting on this, Diego is priced way to high, so the theory is that he is a good bet. However, I've always been screwed when going for the over priced under-dog

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was in the pub last night with a load of mates watching the preview show. Really shaping up to be an incredible fight. Really can't wait for it. I do think though that Penn will win it but I think it'll be close.

I'm also expecting Frank Mir to win his fight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

its a tough fight to call, Penn is going to have to be in top form to beat sanchez and sanchez will be pumped up as he always in. I think Frank Mir is going to destroy Kongo, a lot of people don't rate Mir and i don't understand why.

its a tough fight to call, Penn is going to have to be in top form to beat sanchez and sanchez will be pumped up as he always in. I think Frank Mir is going to destroy Kongo, a lot of people don't rate Mir and i don't understand why.

Penn will have to be aware of Sanchez's pressure. He'll always be on him and won't give him time to strategise. That seems to be Sanchez's game plan for a lot of his fights but I think Penn will be ready for it.

Should make for cracking viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

That_Guy wrote: »
    Penn will have to be aware of Sanchez's pressure. He'll always be on him and won't give him time to strategise. That seems to be Sanchez's game plan for a lot of his fights but I think Penn will be ready for it.

Should make for cracking viewing.

totally agree, its going to be a great fight, and in fairness there are 3 potentially very good fights on the card. really looking forward to it

totally agree, its going to be a great fight, and in fairness there are 3 potentially very good fights on the card. really looking forward to it

Great way to end the year.

Hopefully I can stay awake for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Sanchez by decision
    Mir by sub
    Fitch by decision *yawn
    Florian by RNC
    Struve by TKO RD1

A fantastic main event , cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Any man that has 'YES' cartwheels is bound to win
    Yes Diego :D

From the countdown show:

* edit not embedding for some reason
    McLink

Press conference starting in 4 hours.

http://www.ufc.com/live/

Said it's being streamed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

MAIN CARD

All tough fights to call, really looking forward to this card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

God I hope Deigo takes a beating!
    Seriously, the guy is a good fighter, but wouldn't you just love to see him cartwheel into the octagon shouting "YES!", doing his Rayden from Mortal Kombat pose, bless himself just before the fight starts and run out of his corner and straight into a beating!
    .....phew glad I got that off my chest.:pac:
    In any case, if BJ is in shape and keeps his head he should take Deigo. Could see it going to decision.

* Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir:
    Cheick kongo may look the part but doesn't really deliver the goods and his ground game is awful. Mir by sub round 1

* Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks (Don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

i hope diego can pull it off but its going to be tough for him and a big fan of fitch so hope he can get the win aswell but dont really know to much about his opponent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

I just watched this interview of bj penn http://www.mmabay.co.uk/penn%20on%20sanchez.html

And tbh i dont know about his mindset from the way he was talkin!
    him sayin things like "if i can go home and tell myself i did my best, that will do"
    wat u think??
    Also why did ufc ban his sponsor RVCA????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Heres a clip of an open spar bj did recently. Hes looking very fast and sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

This definately has the potential to steal fight of the year tag away from Sanchez's fight with Guida earlier in the year cant wait. Rooting for Diego to win this probably because of his odd ball personality & the entertainment he brings to his fights but think BJ might just take it. The Florian v Guida fight should be another cracker. Guida is another fighter who is great to watch the mans cardio is unbelievable even if he is probably just limited with a ground game. If Kenny keeps the fight standing reckon he should take it.Wouldnt mind seeing a rematch then between Sanchez & Florian at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Anyone see the press connference? What in God's name was with Diego Sanchez' cane!?:confused: His fashion sense isn't quite up there with his fighting ability

Edit: just got to the explanation of the canes! ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Really looking forward to the card as Mir is my favourite fighter and Sanchez and Guida had the fight of the year earlier but I can't see any reason why Fitch is ahead of the Florian Guida match. It's going to kill the momentum of the card

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Anyone see the press connference? What in God's name was with Diego Sanchez' cane!?:confused: His fashion sense isn't quite up there with his fighting ability

Edit: just got to the explanation of the canes! ha
    Care to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

Mellor wrote: »
    Care to share?

Bj and Sanchez both got a cane for being grand marshals at the marching of the ducks, which is some sort of festival held every year in memphis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Mir by sub rd 1

Sanchez by stoppage

Guida to surprise Florian

Advertisement