Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I don't think Nash has played for Ireland in 7s. But Tadhg Beirne and Jack Daly have…

Timoney is another possibility from Ulster. My perception is he probably played more 7s than Baloucoune did, and certainly featured more than Izuchukwu.

It could be Jennings from Connacht.

I don't know how likely it is you'd see someone who hasn't been involved in the 7s set up before feature - Hansen, for example. My guess is it'll be Timoney/Baloucoune, Shane Daly and Andrew Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

you can see how one exceptional player (Dupont, Hooper) could be beneficial but if they bring in 4 and sevens guys lose their Olympic spots it's a bit crap

Mens team start against South Africa at 1.37 in the Madrid Grand Final event tomorrow .

Women have Australia at 12.51

https://www.svns.com/en/fixtures-and-results/madrid/matches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ireland narrowly nearly lose to South Africa with some truly garbage officiating.

South Africa kick off on the full, player starts outside the field of play, slaps it back in, lands outside the field of play. Open and shut restart on the full, waved play on.

No calls for high shots, flopping all over the ball. Annoying start

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Massive comeback, Jordan Conroy's tackle was brilliant and with seconds left.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

ireland won, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Great finish to the game this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

They won at the absolute death, super stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tense stuff but deserved winners. No margin for error unlike a standard series given only top two qualify for the semi finals. NZ losing to Fiji a bit of a surprise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭PMC83

any highlights yet?

if you sign up for rugbypass tv (for free ) you can usually watch it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

Great conversion from Lennox to tie up the game and go into overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great game. Impressed by Lennox. Clutch kick, nice step and pass even if that last (forward) one cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Two tough forward pass calls in that game - but swings and roundabouts. Was a great fight back from where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭clsmooth

jaysus I hope that’s not a cheekbone injury for Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Dang, heartbreaker

A tale of 3 drop kicks in the NZ game there.

2 really poor restarts from Lennox who booted it wellllll clear of the touchline. You just don't see that from Dardis.

Can't afford teams 2 free attacking platforms like that.

And a tough but eminently getable conversion from Cribbin (who I vaguely recall making a clutch kick before) to force golden point. He will rue that. It was a poor effort

We were in front of the posts but went wide, needed to bash it up there to seal the win.

Keenan good in attack but a bit slow at the breakdown.

Fine margins and some fine tuning needed for July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Didn't watch any of today's action but no surprise that the Men's managed to secure 5th place.

I don't think we can have any real objections given we were pretty much behind on the scoreboard for the majority of our pool games.

A podium finish in Paris is certainly achievable but will require less errors and a bit of good fortune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ireland Men’s Sevens: Josh Costello, James Dillon, Nick Greene, Hugo Keenan, Jack Kelly, Ed Kelly, Joshua Kenny, Hugo Lennox, Zac McConnell, Matthew McDonald, Bryan Mollen, Connor O’Sullivan, Andrew Smith.

Ireland Women’s Sevens: Kathy Baker, Natasja Behan, Claire Boles, Aoife Corey, Katie Corrigan, Alanna Fitzpatrick, Clare Gorman, Lucinda Kinghan, Amy Larn, Kate Farrell McCabe, Anna McGann, Emma Tilly, Vikki Wall.

Ireland Sevens Fixtures – Rugby Europe Championship, First Leg:

Friday, June 7 –

• Ireland Women v Czech Republic, 10.58am Irish time
    • Ireland Men v Croatia, 1.50pm Irish time
    • Ireland Women v Turkey, 4.08pm Irish time
    • Ireland Men v Germany, 6.38pm Irish time

Saturday, June 8 –

• Ireland Women v France, 11.20am Irish time
    • Ireland Men v Georgia, 1.28pm Irish time.

It's live online at rugbyeurope tv

Good to see Jack Kelly back in action

If they are bringing in one more big name I'd love if it was Dan Sheehan. He has a bit of pace and he's powerful. It'd take a few players to get him down and you could imagine the space that would leave on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Does he realistically have the pace etc for 7s though? I'd rather a back row, more outside backs than ajy front five

He has the pace, as fast as anybody over 20-30 metres, slows a bit after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Nick Timoney would be great to have , ex 7s player

Timoney will go on tour with the 15's I would expect, I assume there will be one more bug name added to the 7's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Baird would be a good shout too

Advertisement