Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Luke Murphy, if I have the right guy, was probably our most impressive forward in the u18 six nations imo. Couple of decent players who were in the training squad are now missing, could be injury though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’ll be honest, i think I saw only snippets of that. Minogue had an absolutely ridiculous clearout/turnover near the line. Murphy is a back row as well, right? Munster are going to have a problem figuring out what to do with these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yea Murphy is the no. 8, all the games are on youtube if you fancy it. Liked Minogue, he was very good in the senior cup game I saw as well but was surprised that he wasn't in the National Talent Squad published at the end of last year. I expect the NTS is fluid and they can add players whenever but thought he would've been in it.

That level of the NTS has i think about half the guys of the level above, so i’d guess next public list he might be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Boys under 18s got to final. Lost to france

Girls u18s finished 5th

I watched bits and pieces of this. Quite a number of talented looking guys. Watch out for Paidi Farrell. He is a different level of athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not quite impressed with the rebranding of the series. Think the format change is interesting but there appears to no longer be a London date on the schedule which I was actually planning on finally attending. If the new branding is to be believed it's because it's not sunny enough in London in August compared to Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Good start for mens team in Dubai beat Aus 19-12 in opening game

Followed up with 35 -10 win over Spain

• Advertisement

Irish men's team best USA 31 0 in first game of next series of games in CapeTown

Mens topped the group with further wins against GB and SA. Rewarded with a QF against NZ who managed to lose two pool games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Wow wow wow, what a start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

First ever win over NZ. 36 21 in the end. Conroy injured which is a shame. Hopefully nothing too serious. Argentina I think in semi final now who are very strong.

What a performance, it took nearly 10 minutes for either team to have any possession in our half.

Having Terry Kennedy back this season makes a massive difference, he was a huge loss not having him last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

that's the best I've seen the play, their rucking was immense, protecting the ball nearly every time. Pity about Conroy, hopefully it's only a stinger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Argentina too good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Shehal

So about as much luck of the draw as the XV's have...

• Advertisement

Well third place was certainly there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Interesting developments on the Olympic squad selection, IRFU have agreed with the provinces that 1 player from each can be selected for the 7's team, my preference would be Larmour or Baird, Calvin Nash, Balacoune, Andrew Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Baird would be an absolute weapon in 7's

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

It would be terrible timing for Baird IMO. He’s just had arguably his best ever game for Leinster, in a position that will soon enough be a position of need for Ireland.

He needs a season of consistent games at 6 to keep building himself up as an international quality blindside, not heading off playing 7s for 6-7 months.

The thing is though, for some players, the lure of playing in an Olympics will be very attractive. I do think there’s something relatively unfair in this for the regular 7s squad players who helped to get us there who’ll miss out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Connacht already have two contracted players with the sevens in Jennings (senior) and Mullins (academy). Could see the reasoning why Smith or McNamara would be let go back to the 7s system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

was there not a rumour about Keenan playing a few weeks back? he's played before too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is there any way to know the schedule for Ireland's mens matches at the olympics?

The pools are on over the Wed & Thurs 24th & 25th but what day are Ireland playing anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Both most likely. 2 pool games day 1 then final pool game and knockouts day 2 then finals and other placing games day 3

Good opening win for men in Perth against GB won 17-12

Women beat USA also by similar scoreline

• Advertisement

Both mens and womens teams into semis

Advertisement