Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

First Up wrote: »
    Are you saying that Leinster players are chosen for reasons other than merit? Are more deserving players from elsewhere being by- passed? Have you examples?
    not at all saying that any player not there on merit. Just disappointed spread of players is so poor.
    Was the wider training panel ever announced? Presumably guys like Jack Daly and Aaron Sexton will feature in the squads for other world series legs.

I think it's generally two legs and then a break for a few weeks, so any 13-man squad named will probably stay the same for those two weekends, unless there are injuries, I suppose.
    no it wasnt.
    I say we could see a fair few players getting game time over the series. 10 rounds with 5 sets of 2 rounds back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

get over yourself. Here what goes again?

What exactly is wrong with having an issue with a national squad overly dominated by players from one area especially in a game that isnt exactly played regularly and it's not like players from leinster play 7s more etc
    I would say exact same if it was any other province

Get over myself?
    Pot, kettle, black

Having an issue isn't a problem, having an issue that has been discussed to death and voicing that issue in the most passive aggressive manner possible is most definitely a problem.
    And if you're a poster that almost instantly replies with "but what would you do to fix it" whenever anyone else voices their displeasure with anything you damn well better obey your own self made rules when you have an issue with something.

A game not played regularly? It's rugby. The basics in 7s are the same as the 15 a side game.
    And actually people from leinster would play 7s more, umbrella 7s would be one example of the 7s tournaments played in leinster, open to all teams in the country but only leinster teams entered.

The reasons there's more leinster players in the team than elsewhere are there for anyone that's looking to see.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Get over myself?
    Pot, kettle, black

Having an issue isn't a problem, having an issue that has been discussed to death and voicing that issue in the most passive aggressive manner possible is most definitely a problem.
    And if you're a poster that almost instantly replies with "but what would you do to fix it" whenever anyone else voices their displeasure with anything you damn well better obey your own self made rules when you have an issue with something.

A game not played regularly? It's rugby. The basics in 7s are the same as the 15 a side game.
    And actually people from leinster would play 7s more, umbrella 7s would be one example of the 7s tournaments played in leinster, open to all teams in the country but only leinster teams entered.

The reasons there's more leinster players in the team than elsewhere are there for anyone that's looking to see.
    the game is very different though. You trying to claim what is being coached in other provinces isnt as good as what is done in leinster? Umbrella 7s is a one off event and similar events take place in the other provinces. Connacht have had 7s events for schools/clubs quite regularly and Munster have them for clubs and especially schools both the so called traditional schools and emerging schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

the game is very different though. You trying to claim what is being coached in other provinces isnt as good as what is done in leinster? Umbrella 7s is a one off event and similar events take place in the other provinces. Connacht have had 7s events for schools/clubs quite regularly and Munster have them for clubs and especially schools both the so called traditional schools and emerging schools.

Tackle, pass, ruck, step the basics are all the same they carry over. Cheers for putting words in my mouth, I wasn't trying to say anything like that but whatever you want to think. The fact Leinster are sending players all over the country and further afield in numbers far far greater than any other province says everything though. My point with Umbrella 7s is its not a provincial competition its open to all but only Leinster teams entered.
    Get that chip off your shoulder it's embarrassing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are you saying that Leinster players are chosen for reasons other than merit? Are more deserving players from elsewhere being by- passed? Have you examples?

I'd say it's a more likely scenario that players from elsewhere are refusing the call up as the money is poor and the training camp is too far away (blanchardstown).

That said I don't know if any have refused a call on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'd say it's a more likely scenario that players from elsewhere are refusing the call up as the money is poor and the training camp is too far away (blanchardstown).

That said I don't know if any have refused a call on that basis.

Have you players in mind who should be in the squad but who are not - for whatever reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Wanted to see Wren involved , hes a very good player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Delighted to see Eanna Madden from Mohill in Co. Leitrim named in the squad. I've know him since he was at school with my youngest.

Very good athlete, it'll be interesting how it goes for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭luke9311

OldRio wrote: »
    Delighted to see Eanna Madden from Mohill in Co. Leitrim named in the squad. I've know him since he was at school with my youngest.

Very good athlete, it'll be interesting how it goes for him.

Wasn’t he with Lansdowne? Says seapoint now? Unless he moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

luke9311 wrote: »
    Wasn’t he with Lansdowne? Says seapoint now? Unless he moved

To be honest I thought he was still at Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I used to follow the series on sky sports the last few years but dropped that now. It says on the site that you can watch live online if no local broadcast. Does that mean its streamed online anyway on the series site?

Loved watching already but with Ireland now a core team and the wonens events synced up really looking forward to this season. Even if Ireland could make the cup half of the draw a couple of times they should be competitive enough to stay up

I used to follow the series on sky sports the last few years but dropped that now. It says on the site that you can watch live online if no local broadcast. Does that mean its streamed online anyway on the series site?

On Sky Sports from tomorrow morning.

OldRio wrote: »
    To be honest I thought he was still at Lansdowne.

I thought the same under clicking the link above I hadn’t know he changed to seapoint

On Sky Sports from tomorrow morning.

I know that but dont have SS anymore.
    I thought you can stream from the HSBC 7s website directly? Or from the app? I guess I'll find out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Caught most of the USA game.

They can be really disappointed to have lost that one to be honest. Didn't take their chances and gave away some soft tries. Game was definitely there for the taking. Really positive to see we're well up for it though. The US are a great side.

Conroy mixed his performance with some dodgy tackling and a really poor drop but absolutely emptied Carlin Isles and forced a turnover.

Kennedy was ok but missed 2 tackles in the space of 5 seconds for a soft US try from their 22.

Hugo Lennox looked very lively. He hasn't seen too much in the starting team but looked up to it.

Ireland have no like for like replacement for Mick McGrath which is a real pity as he'd be a valuable battering ram against teams that don't tend to miss tackles. Although Aaron O'Sullivan is some unit. Could fill that role nicely

They can be really disappointed to have lost that one to be honest. Didn't take their chances and gave away some soft tries. Game was definitely there for the taking. Really positive to see we're well up for it though. The US are a great side.

Conroy mixed his performance with some dodgy tackling and a really poor drop but absolutely emptied Carlin Isles and forced a turnover.

Kennedy was ok but missed 2 tackles in the space of 5 seconds for a soft US try from their 22.

Hugo Lennox looked very lively. He hasn't seen too much in the starting team but looked up to it.

Ireland have no like for like replacement for Mick McGrath which is a real pity as he'd be a valuable battering ram against teams that don't tend to miss tackles. Although Aaron O'Sullivan is some unit. Could fill that role nicely

Has Mick quit rugby or injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Played last week for Malahide in the AIL

Played last week for Malahide in the AIL

thought he would be involved maybe trying to focus on 15s

That fwd pass to Conroy in the corner would have made it 14-12. We could have been even more ahead but for the unforced errors. Nerves maybe. Instead Perry Baker took it to the house to make it 7-19 and momentum shifted. Still respectable start. Hope they can take a win from the next 2 at least, preferably with Conroy rounding quadzilla lol

• Advertisement

Playing ail for malahide supposedly there strength and conditioning coach too and then as far as I know runs a gym in bird avenues pitches up near dundrum area I think

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

Jordan Conroy is mental quick. He needs to up the rest of his game but if he can score 5 tries a game I don't mind it.

So women finished 10th and Men 12th. Many watch the games and how did the development sides do?

Anyone watch the games this weekend unfortunately didnt see any games because of work. Jordan Conroy did very well I see but who else impressed?

Anyone watch the games this weekend unfortunately didnt see any games because of work. Jordan Conroy did very well I see but who else impressed?

First pool game v tight against USA. Handling errors cost us. I less mistake may have got us to the cup draw
    Next vs Aus who were on fire and beat us 7tries to 3
    It was JC 5 tries against Scotland but some were real team efforts. Last one under the posts 2mins overtime for the win.

11th play off ( straight playoffs and no shield? So only I knock out game for positions 9-16 based on pts different etc in pools). Vs Spain who swarmed around us to stop it getting wide. JC got away for one but we should have had a couple more but for pretty brilliant Spanish last ditch defence. Lost Harry McN after game one.

Overall 12th but on team stats, pts, tackles, tries, clean breaks etc Ireland was top 6-9. Basically dangerous attack but work to do on D. Lose our shape too easily. I'm sure that will come over the season.

As for who else impressed
    I thought Greg O Shea was a good link and decent playmaker
    TK was dangerous but needs to pass earlier
    Hugo Lennox and Aaron O Sullivan lively
    Billy D and Mark R ok too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Is there anywhere online where you can watch the games again? I missed the ones v Aus and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mick McGrath was playing with the Ramblin Jesters for Dubai 7s, a couple of lads have played with them before (McNulty and Roche played with them back in August)

Mick McGrath was playing with the Ramblin Jesters for Dubai 7s, a couple of lads have played with them before (McNulty and Roche played with them back in August)

Would have thought McGrath was a key player for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Squads named for Cape Town:

Aaron O’Sullivan (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Adam Leavy (Lansdowne)
    Billy Dardis (Terenure College) (capt)
    Greg O’Shea (Shannon)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Hugo Lennox (Skerries)
    Jack Kelly (Dublin University)
    John O’Donnell (Lansdowne)
    Jordan Conroy (Buccaneers)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary’s College)
    Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster) *
    Peter Maher (Old Belvedere)

Kathy Baker (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Megan Burns (Tullamore/Leinster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster) (co-capt)
    Anna Doyle (DCU/Leinster)
    Kate Farrell McCabe (DCU/Leinster) *
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/Leinster) (co-capt)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Brittany Hogan (DCU/Ulster)
    Emily Lane (Mallow/Munster)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (Old Belvedere/Munster)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Some improvement from last week in fairness

Advertisement