Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget fuel implications

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cionád wrote: »
    Most likely midnight tonight, some sneaky stations might take advantage today though.

Looks like a wee cruise around Galway tonight for the best price so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'll just fill my tank up on the way back from Newry then, seeing as everything else is cheaper up north they may aswell add fuel to the list :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

the 3 garages around me are all 119.99 at the moment and have been for a few months, this should drive them up to about 130c a liter, don't you just love monolopys:rolleyes:

Does anyone know the wholesale price of petrol if I was to buy my own petrol tank for home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Does anyone know the wholesale price of petrol if I was to buy my own petrol tank for home?

There was a thread about this a little while back, I think the consensus was that when you count in the cost of a tank / deliveries you would need to be doing a hell of a lot of driving to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Meh 6c big deal im not going to bother filling up my tank to save me 5 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Good idea putting up the price of petrol more than the north, not only will this kill the trade from northerners coming south to refuel but it will mean those heading north shopping will refuel up there, shooting himself in the foot bigtime, he should send Gormley off to the Arctic for a few months studying icebergs :D

He can't. Gormless is busy studying frogs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

irlmarc wrote: »
    Meh 6c big deal im not going to bother filling up my tank to save me 5 euro.

Yeah and if you fill your tank twice a week like i do thats gonna cost ya 520 euro a year extra!!!!

I think that deserves a bit more then a meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hammertime wrote: »
    Hi all,

just a heads up on what is 'expected' to happen tomorrow

approx 6c UNL and 3c Derv

Well that blows the whole 'Carbon Tax' bull**** out of the water then, what with diesel having a higher carbon content per litre than unleaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

racso1975 wrote: »
    Yeah and if you fill your tank twice a week like i do thats gonna cost ya 520 euro a year extra!!!!

I think that deserves a bit more then a meh

An extra tenner a week..
    I don't think that deserves more than a meh.

SV wrote: »
    An extra tenner a week..

Yeah im sticking with my original meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

An extra tenner a week..

That's 520 euro a year. You must be working in the civil service and still think its 2007 to have that sort of view.

That's 520 euro a year. You must be working in the civil service and still think its 2007 to have that sort of view.

Yeah 520 a year was mentioned already.
    I just don't think a tenner a week is a huge amount. I'm going by that as that's when people are usually paid..weekly that is.

If you want to multiply everything then of course it's going to sound like a colossal amount.

and no, I don't work in the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

An extra tenner a week..

So you wont miss 520 in a year? Jesus good to see some people are keeping the tiger era thinking alive.

kayos wrote: »
    So you wont miss 520 in a year? Jesus good to see some people are keeping the tiger era thinking alive.

In a year? No..no I won't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Good idea putting up the price of petrol more than the north, not only will this kill the trade from northerners coming south to refuel but it will mean those heading north shopping will refuel up there, shooting himself in the foot bigtime, he should send Gormley off to the Arctic for a few months studying icebergs :D

i think we should tax his bicycle....

with a sledge hammer. :cool:

and no, I don't work in the civil service.

I dont work in the civil service either and I couldnt give a toss. You drive a car you pay for fuel and despite what you think fuel in Ireland is not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its not that bad but if they tax petrol up to about €1.30. What will it be like if oil gets dear again. Ive a petrol car now but Im fierce tempted by a bmw 335d coupe. Cant imagine that being cheap to fuel either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Most likely midnight tonight, some sneaky stations might take advantage today though.

If I'm correct, the increase from midnight is in excise, which is charged on entry into the country, not at the till. Any stations increasing price until at least their next delivery are price gouging. Same with fags, booze etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

If I'm correct, the increase from midnight is in excise, which is charged on entry into the country, not at the till. Any stations increasing price until at least their next delivery are price gouging. Same with fags, booze etc.

I think you're right.

Newstalk reporting 4 cent on unleaded, 5 cent on diesel, which matches the carbon figures posted by Heroditas.

I think you're right.

Newstalk reporting 4 cent on unleaded, 5 cent on diesel, which matches the carbon figures posted by Heroditas.

I heard the same on the radio aswell.

The only thing is the drop in the price of drink should balance out the increase in petrol for me anyway :D, if its passed on by the publicans that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Someone was saying that'll be cheaper to buy fuel up North if they slap on this "Carbon Tax"
    Just been watching Sky News - and their Pre-Budget is out - their VAT is going back up to 17.5% from 15% - so their prices will take a hike too! Not until Jan though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

VRT reductions on electric and hybrids extended for 2 years

scrappage scheme announced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I think the original point was if you fill at the old prices you only save 2 euro per tank (mine takes 40 liters). And that's only for the first tank obviously.

520 euro a year more expensive? oh noes, that's like... 5200 euro in 10 years!! who can afford that? :rolleyes:

I'm not pro fuel price increases, but taking the extreme example of someone filling up twice a week, what do you expect? You polute a hell of a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No changes on Annual Road Tax??

I was really expecting a hike in larger engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

up 4 cent on petrol according to my calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No changes on Annual Road Tax??

I was really expecting a hike in larger engines?

couldn't help but notice your edit ;): but it is NOT Road Tax it IS a Motor tax.

TF they didn't touch it, though..........€1300 p.a. is quite enough, tks.

I can't believe they put up fuel. What complete and utter wakners ! :mad: Are they so fuggin' stupid that they don't realise they've put up, oh, I dunno -stuff like FOOD ? How the F do they think it gets to the shops ? Transporter Beam ?

And reduced alcohol ?

So, we're to drink our way out of recession ?? Only we could come up with that theory.......

And you're heating fuel (of whatever kind you're havin' yourself....) ....

And as for VAT - it should have been axed down to 15% for at least a year - VAT is a huge impediment in the business I'm in, and I lose business on an almost daily basis over it..........:(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

irlmarc wrote: »
    Yeah im sticking with my original meh.

I'm tempted to say I'll see your meh and raise you 2 meh

No, seriously, in a two car household, which is a necessity outside of Luasland to keep your job, 2 x 520 is a lot more than even a big meh

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This figure of 520/per was pulled out of the sky. Its nowhere near that for almost every driver.

If I do 20,000 miles @ 30mpg, thats 667 gallons or 3026 litres per year.
    4p increase per litre = €121 increase/year

You would need to be doing about 85000 miles per year @ 30 mpg for t to cost €520.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I saved €3.52 by filling up tonight compared to filling up in the morning. This represents an approximate increase of €91 for me annually, I can live with that. I'm happy enough that they left the motor tax alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Well that blows the whole 'Carbon Tax' bull**** out of the water then, what with diesel having a higher carbon content per litre than unleaded.

How do they compare per kilometer, do you know?

Advertisement