Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget fuel implications

Options
  • 08-12-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just a heads up on what is 'expected' to happen tomorrow

approx 6c UNL and 3c Derv

as I say that's the strong rumour within the industry, if it's wrong don't shoot the messenger

all I'm saying is if yu tank is empty fill it up before lunch tomorrow.

Regards
    ht

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Is it going up, or down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Going up. I reckon 6c UNL, 5c on diesel.

Would make unleaded cheaper up north than down here :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If petrol is going up that much, Im going to seriously have to figure out another way of sourcing it..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More green punishment for petrol drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Would that qualify as their so called 'carbon tax' we've been hearing about so much for the last couple of weeks? God I hate the greens fcuking clowns the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,991 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If petrol is going up that much, Im going to seriously have to figure out another way of sourcing it..

Like in make your own ethanol? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Good idea putting up the price of petrol more than the north, not only will this kill the trade from northerners coming south to refuel but it will mean those heading north shopping will refuel up there, shooting himself in the foot bigtime, he should send Gormley off to the Arctic for a few months studying icebergs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just when everyone in the country is saying we should be more competitive, the Government adds 5/6 cents with a "green tax":confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Cionád wrote: »
    Going up. I reckon 6c UNL, 5c on diesel.

Would make unleaded cheaper up north than down here :eek:

That's the big feat of the government IMO, if people start going over the border for fuel the tax loss will be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought this was going to be another rant about Tesco petrol.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hammertime wrote: »
    That's the big feat of the government IMO, if people start going over the border for fuel the tax loss will be catastrophic

Going up north to save a few cent on petrol is illogical. The cost of the journey will more than cancel any saving out, depending on where you're driving from.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Stekelly wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be another rant about Tesco petrol.:)

Thats what I thought too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

jaysus christ..
    I wonder how much road tax will go up..

Running my car which was always so easy may get very expensive!
    Confab wrote: »
    Going up north to save a few cent on petrol is illogical. The cost of the journey will more than cancel any saving out, depending on where you're driving from.

Not if you fill a load of cans! I remember this happening before..safety issues were mentioned with carrying around bootfulls of unsecure petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Confab wrote: »
    SV wrote: »
    jaysus christ..
    I wonder how much road tax will go up..

Running my car which was always so easy may get very expensive!

Not if you fill a load of cans! I remember this happening before..safety issues were mentioned with carrying around bootfulls of unsecure petrol!

You could fill it with food and alcohol. No law against that and it'll make the saving all the bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Del2005 wrote: »
    You could fill it with food and alcohol. No law against that and it'll make the saving all the bigger.
    lol, because you quoted all of that I first read it as that I could fill my car with food and alcohol in place of fuel :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Does anyone know if home-heating oil is going to be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Most likely!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably so - done in part to help encourage this green industry crapology we keep hearing about! make it too expenisve to heat the housa that you might consider a solar panel or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Is it going up, or down?
    I like what you did there :D

I'm 37 and going to buy my first car in the coming weeks. I know.

I never had a need to buy a car in the past as I have lived in Germany, France, Spain & Holland where public transport was more efficient and affordable than having a car, and I also gave years working at sea, so having a car parked up for weeks when I was away and paying for it, was, well a waste.

Anyway, this is all well and dandy having these penalties off taxes to change people's ways, but to what?
    Most people don't have alternative means off transport, such as a reliable, affordable and integrated public transport. It is not here. And it could be here, they are loads off working examples available in other countries, such as the ones listed above.

And in the future, this fuel will no doubt rise without the aid off those planks up in the dail, and what will this do for local industry.

The mind really wonders at these guys.

Another short term solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Interesting that Hammertime quotes quite differing price increases for petrol and diesel.
    If that is the case, then this carbon tax is being applied completely differently to how it is supposed to have been calculated, i.e. based on the international price of carbon (such a ridiculous concept anyway)

[font=&quot]Fuel[/font]
    [font=&quot]Unit[/font]
    [font=&quot]Indicative Unit Price (incl VAT)[/font]
    [font=&quot]Impact of Carbon Tax[/font]
    [font=&quot]€15 per[/font]
    [font=&quot]tonne CO2[/font]
    [font=&quot]€20 per[/font]
    [font=&quot]tonne CO2[/font]
    [font=&quot]Gas Oil[/font]
    [font=&quot]litre[/font]
    [font=&quot]€0.66[/font]
    [font=&quot]+6.1%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+8.1%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Heavy Fuel Oil[/font]
    [font=&quot]litre[/font]
    [font=&quot]€0.62[/font]
    [font=&quot]+7.1%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+9.5%[/font]
    [font=&quot]LPG (bulk)[/font]
    [font=&quot]litre[/font]
    [font=&quot]€0.54[/font]
    [font=&quot]+4.8%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+6.5%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Natural Gas*[/font]
    [font=&quot]kWh[/font]
    [font=&quot]€0.05[/font]
    [font=&quot]+6.4%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+8.5%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Coal[/font]
    [font=&quot]tonne[/font]
    [font=&quot]€380[/font]
    [font=&quot]+10.4%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+13.9%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Peat Briquettes[/font]
    [font=&quot]bale[/font]
    [font=&quot]€3.85[/font]
    [font=&quot]+8.9%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+11.9%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Petrol[/font]
    [font=&quot]Litre[/font]
    [font=&quot]€1.18[/font]
    [font=&quot]+3.0%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+4.0%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Diesel[/font]
    [font=&quot]Litre[/font]
    [font=&quot]€1.07[/font]
    [font=&quot]+3.8%[/font]
    [font=&quot]+5.0%[/font]
    [font=&quot]Electricity*[/font]
    [font=&quot]kWh[/font]
    [font=&quot]€0.16[/font]
    [font=&quot]0%[/font]
    [font=&quot]0%[/font]
    [font=&quot] * Dependent on scale of consumption.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 64,991 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    he should send Gormley off to the Arctic for a few months studying icebergs :D

A few months? Surely he'll agree to practise what he preaches. He'll agree to be buried alive in the Arctic in the permafrost as global warming will surely set him free in the next few weeks. Yeah right. He'll be Ötzi Mark 2. Not to be found until the year 4000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Hmmm, I wonder if they are trying to engineer a short term bump in VRT revenue? Combined with the inevitable bump in the motor tax rates, increasing the price differential between diesel and petrol strengthens the case for people to go and buy 2008+ diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Is this the carbon tax we're being threatened with or simply an increase in excise?

Won't be long before retail prices reach the dizzy heights of summer '08 although I still can't figure out why? Is it time to dump the dollar?

7 June 2008 BBC Web site.

Screenshot2009-12-09at003214.png

8 December 2009 http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-12/08/content_12608195.htm

Screenshot2009-12-09at002850.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DubTony wrote: »
    Is this the carbon tax we're being threatened with or simply an increase in excise?

Won't be long before retail prices reach the dizzy heights of summer '08 although I still can't figure out why? Is it time to dump the dollar?

It's an increase in excise cunningly disguised as a "carbon tax".
    Apparently the Greens are bleating that the only reason they want it implemented is because FF want to raise some more revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

How much does it cost to buy one of those Home heating oil kerosene tanks?

Then, How much does it cost to to rent a tanker truck, split between a 'few' friends?

Maybe buying in bulk will make a saving. Not to mention a truck's cab full of other crap bought in Newry, and that you can get your home heating oil and everything. Drive it home, fill your own tanks in the shed somewhere, and full up at home for a few weeks or so. Lather, rinse repeat.

It's perfectly legal, it *is* the EU after all, and sure was the excise paid in the country of sale?

Either that, or a Volvo Estate with 40 Jerrycans. Just don't crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Whats annoying and suprising to me is, is that petrol/diesel has not come down at all. It's still up there at 118/109. if anything less fuels should be used less now than say a year ago, what with people saving money and using less fuel by not going anywhere if they don't need to.

Why wasn't it high during the Celtic Tiger, and lowered now to promote purchase of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

NoDrama wrote: »
    I'm 37 and going to buy my first car in the coming weeks. I know.

...buy a motorbike, at least that way you'll feel better, and get to work an hour earlier as well. :)

And, if you go back to the Mainland, you can bring it with you. No need to worry about horse**** VRT-entrapment.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

When is this taking affect? Ive not been arsed filling up in a few weeks now, and im nearly on empty! Dont tell me im gonna be filling up for an extra 5c a liter today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

When is this taking affect? Ive not been arsed filling up in a few weeks now, and im nearly on empty! Dont tell me im gonna be filling up for an extra 5c a liter today!

Most likely midnight tonight, some sneaky stations might take advantage today though.

Advertisement