Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum smokers to cease smoking in 2010

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

papac wrote: »
    I'll be off the fags a year on Sunday. This thread was a great boost at the time and I'd like to say thanks to all.Yay me.

yay you, well done (and anyone else out there)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'll be off the fags a year on Sunday. This thread was a great boost at the time and I'd like to say thanks to all.Yay me.

Sod the fags - did you get the Cervelo?
    My missus says I can buy a Cervelo frame for my birthday in April with the money I save on fags. Motivation central.
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Beasty wrote: »
    Sod the fags - did you get the Cervelo?

Well done

No Cervelo yet. Been having a rough time with hip injury and couldn't stand the thought of a lovely shiny carbon bike that I couldn't use. Seem to be on the mend now though so may have to drop a few gentle reminders to the finance department.
    Leaning towards an Orbea now though.2011 Orca is slubberly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I quit in November '09 - haven't looked back since.
    Smoking ban was a huge help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Been off them a year this month, cycling has been a big factor in staying off em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Dubba wrote: »
    Been off them a year this month, cycling has been a big factor in staying off em.

People who exercise regularly are more likely to give up smoking successfully apparently.I suppose we are more tuned into the benefits of giving up.As luck would have it-I have been injured off and on for most of the last year so I haven't felt the full benefit of my tar free lungs.
    Well done on your year as a non smoker. Don't let your guard down. I was off em for eighteen months on a previous occasion.Hopefully I am older and wiser this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Cheers papac. Yea keeping the guard up is a must! Good luck to foke who've given up or thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Don’t know will I be shot for resurrrecting this thread from the dark ages but it be a good motivation for people like myself,I love cycling I got back into it since may last year and have done 1500km’s since but my hiccup was I also smoked....I was also thinking it was pulling me back from achieving more like easier climbing and better strava segments.
    So as of 10 days ago I’m done and dusted with smoke purposely inhaled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Well done!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Whoop whoop! You can do it!

I gave up 6 years ago now, one of the best decisions I've ever made*
    I was like a bee for the first three months, but then I read the Alan Carr book and it all became ok for some weird reason.

*one of the few good decisions I've ever made :pac:

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    Whoop whoop! You can do it!

I gave up 6 years ago now, one of the best decisions I've ever made*
    I was like a bee for the first three months, but then I read the Alan Carr book and it all became ok for some weird reason.

*one of the few good decisions I've ever made :pac:
    A huge congratulations to you too that is an amazing achievement and one to be extremely proud of,it’s a tough road but so worth it :)
    I’m not too bad mood wise since since in general I have ups and downs but if I do still feel moody after a month I’ll read the Allan Carr book for sure I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews about that book!

tikkamark wrote: »
    Don’t know will I be shot for resurrrecting this thread from the dark ages but it be a good motivation for people like myself,I love cycling I got back into it since may last year and have done 1500km’s since but my hiccup was I also smoked....I was also thinking it was pulling me back from achieving more like easier climbing and better strava segments.
    So as of 10 days ago I’m done and dusted with smoke purposely inhaled!

No , it's a worth while thread to dig up even if it helps just you quit in some small way!!!!!!

Best of luck, I'm told by herself here who quit 6 years ago that after 3 weeks or so you'll really feel the results of quitting so focus on that milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well done, 10 days is a great achievement. For what it's worth I've been off the smokes since 2012 (that's well over €22,000 not spent on fags). At the time I found Alan Carr book very helpful. It's easy say it now but smoking was so silly. The physical and financial cost for no reward except to satisify a craving without reward. Grit your teeth and get through the withdrawal phase and any surprise cravings and you will get rid of nicotine.
    Since giving up I have gotten into ultra distance and endurance cycling, simply impossible if I had continued to smoke. Best of luck quitting. Just don't light up, realise that cravings pass in minutes, just don't light up.
    Just don't light up and you will succeed.

Well done, 10 days is a great achievement. For what it's worth I've been off the smokes since 2012 (that's well over €22,000 not spent on fags). At the time I found Alan Carr book very helpful. It's easy say it now but smoking was so silly. The physical and financial cost for no reward except to satisify a craving without reward. Grit your teeth and get through the withdrawal phase and any surprise cravings and you will get rid of nicotine.
    Since giving up I have gotten into ultra distance and endurance cycling, simply impossible if I had continued to smoke. Best of luck quitting. Just don't light up, realise that cravings pass in minutes, just don't light up.
    Just don't light up and you will succeed.
    That’s awesome inspiration thank you!
    On 11 days now :) it doesn’t seem like very long to some who doesn’t smoke or someone who never tried quitting but to me it’s a long long time!
    That’s what I’m noticing is the cravings only last a few minutes but I know now the bigger picture is much more important than one moment of weakness that Lasts only a few seconds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

7 years myself. Heavy smoker in college (60 a day between working and college). Gave up a few times but always went back on social nights, although never went back to being as heavy a smoker. Gave up 7 years ago and that was that, no cravings or the like from day one, which is obviously annoying to others.

The smell now really annoys me, I am actually repulsed by the smell of smoke and stale smoke. Nice to have clothes that are not ruined by it. The odd occasion my brother in law smokes a cigar and it smells glorious but overall, glad I had the common sense to do it.

At old prices I have probably saved 15k over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I stopped smoking in June 2007 so coming by up to 11 years in a handful of months.

Some people say the craving is always there and I know people who have been off smokes for years but say they’d still love a smoke now and then. Me, I detest them, the smell makes me sick and I can’t figure out how I allowed myself to smoke for nearly 20yrs before giving up. I can safely say I will never smoke again even if they brought out cigarettes which were 100% safe and smelled/tasted like the originals I still wouldn’t touch them.

I started cycling 6 years ago and I know for a fact that if I had been smoking I probably would never have started or given up shortly afterwards.

The first 2 weeks were toughest and it got steadily easier as time went on. After I had been off them 6 months, when offered a cigarette I replied ‘I don’t smoke’ as opposed to ‘I’m off them’

Keep up the good work and think of the benefits and that day when you can say ‘I don’t smoke’ instead of ‘I’m off them’

It’s actually brilliant to hear stories like the two above this post :)
    I’m looking forward to telling people I don’t smoke as opposed to I’m off them.
    I’m actually at the point now already when I look at others smoking I wonder why I did it for so long.

Advertisement