Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum smokers to cease smoking in 2010

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:40pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So there's a few of here who smoke. Anyway in 2010 we shall cease to be smokers, how as ever a bit of motivation to stay that way never goes astray. If we have a smoke in 2010 what shall our punishment be? You the good people with the creative minds to make a punishment so bad that even looking at a fag will make us shiver shall decide. Please suggest some punishments.

Anyone looking to cease in 2010 add your name to the list:
    1. Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

1. Captain Havoc
    2 *cough*The Tax man*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

that even looking a fag will make us shiver
    All that lycra, what choice do we have?

I'll give up too

• Registered Users Posts: 31,033 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Suggested punishment: a tattoo of Mary Harney, peeping from under the line of your bib shorts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

McTigs wrote: »
    All that lycra, what choice do we have?

I'll give up too

Ooopsy. Edited.

1. Captain Havoc
    3. McTigs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I'm considering giving up the fags, but it'll be a cold day in hell before you wrest the pipe from my grubby, tarry paws! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I would add myself to the list, but then it just adds to the pressure... I'll try to cut down though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would add myself to the list, but then it just adds to the pressure... I'll try to cut down though!

I've done the cut down thing and now I feel I'm ready to make the last step. I used to smoke 30 a day but I started cutting out fags here and there and now I only smoke when I'm out and the odd social one, I go through a pack a week at the moment. It's a good move, oh yeah, I switched from Carrolls to Silk Cut blue which has helped also.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

Only just getting back into things on the bike but I'll have some of that action. On patches at the moment, fell off the wagon at the weekend after 5 weeks. Want to really give it a shot with the bike this year and get some sportives under my belt, as well as a tour of some sort so the cigs have to be cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Was just discussing giving up for new year when I saw this post.

ITS A SIGN I TELL YOU.:)

Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Best of luck to all of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i'm in!! need to loose a few pounds* too.
    going to give it a go this week but really want to be rid of them asap!!

*by pounds i mean stone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

1. Captain Havoc
    3. McTigs
    4. thebouldwhacker

I've been fighting'em for a while now, def more time in 2009 spent as a non smoker than a smoker so thats an improvement... but I'm up for this. Below are just two resources I have found handy, I would recommend the Alan Carr book too, works for some,

Re the mary horney tat... I'd rather somoke 40 Cubans a day:D

How about those who have failed by a certain date have to pay the entry fee for those who havent for a sportive... Perhaps the ROK as many will be attending and the money isnt paid until the day of the cycle and its for charity....

This be a calculator which shows how much you have saved and how much longer you will live

This is endless, from scary stories to good resources

And of course when you have saved a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.
    -Mark Twain-

Love that quote

Best of luck lads.
    I packed them in myself some years ago and it's the best thing I ever did.
    Your lungs and your pocket will thank you.

Just think all that extra money to spend on bike bits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Just think all that extra money to spend on bike bits biggrin.gif

My missus says I can buy a Cervelo frame for my birthday in April with the money I save on fags. Motivation central.

I gave up before using the Alan Carr method and I am going to use it again in case anyone is looking for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Just to be clear on who is in or out... Those who are in quote the list above add your name and post up.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

1. Captain Havoc
    3 Paulyh

1. Captain Havoc
    3. McTigs
    4. thebouldwhacker
    5. papac
    6. Paulyh

The list is growing, probably only because we haven't seen the punishment yet :D

Now, who's going around the back of the bike shed?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Having given up more times than I care to remember, here's what I think. Don't wait till New Year's Day, do it now. You shouldn't build it up a sense of occasion or start making it out to be a sacrifice. You're quitting and that's it.

Allen Carr is pretty good I found. Generally anything that treats smoking for what it is, an addiction, is usually pretty useful reading. I actually found things that dealt with addictions to stronger drugs quite interesting to read too.

It'll make a massive difference to your cycling. While you can get away with murder as a smoker on the bike (I've done the W200 no bother as a heavy smoker for example), you'll never really reach your potential if you keep smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I switched from Carrolls to Silk Cut blue which has helped also.

Could you not have gone the extra step and smoke Silk Cut ultra,like I did.;)
    el tonto wrote: »
    Having given up more times than I care to remember, here's what I think. Don't wait till New Year's Day, do it now. You shouldn't build it up a sense of occasion or start making it out to be a sacrifice. You're quitting and that's it.

Allen Carr is pretty good I found. Generally anything that treats smoking for what it is, an addiction, is usually pretty useful reading. I actually found things that dealt with addictions to stronger drugs quite interesting to read too.

It'll make a massive difference to your cycling. While you can get away with murder as a smoker on the bike (I've done the W200 no bother as a heavy smoker for example), you'll never really reach your potential if you keep smoking.

I'll be off them before Christmas comes along,none of that new years crap for me. I've a 200 to complete in January. I was off them for nearly 4 months this year leading up to the WW200.The difference in my lungs over that short period was amazing,if not a little frightening too.
    Problem was the 200 was my main goal for the year so after that things went off the rails,back smoking and not out as much on the bike. My major goal now is just under 2 years away and that's my focus point and motivation to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

1. Captain Havoc
    3. McTigs
    4. thebouldwhacker
    5. papac
    6. Paulyh
    7. weaselman

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Well I hope no one incurs the same punishment as me for smoking 20 - 30 a day: a myocardial infarction, better known as a heart attack. At 32 I asked the cardiologist what the hell I was doing in his office and he replied that if I never smoked we'd never have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Best of luck guys, I used to be a fairly heavy smoker myself, Allen Carr's book did the job for me. Give it a shot if you havent tried it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep. Me too about 8 years ago. I was reading it on a night duty and couldn't wait to get it finished so I could quit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

...and me too on the 13th May 2004. Tried reading the book on two previous occasions and didn't finish it and didn't quit. Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I dont smoke, should I take it up for 2010?

Jumpy wrote: »
    I dont smoke, should I take it up for 2010?

Yes, it's the extra mild that suits your style:

Matinee%2BCigarette%2BAd%2B1983.jpg
    Matinee+Cigarette+Ad+1983.jpg

The battle begins for me tomorrow.
    Reading for the next few days.... Scandal by Allen Carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

I gave up 10 years ago, and last year I went back for 6 months. The powerbreath yoke really helped me to quit. Each time I felt like smoking I use the powerbreath and the smoke craving were easier to deal with. good luck everybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Suggested punishment, in easy steps.

1: Pick a quit buddy from the cycling forum (non - smoker)
    2: Count up all the money you save on smokes as you go along
    3: If you fall off the wagon pick a bicycle accessory that you really want to the value of the total from 2 above
    4: Give the accessory to your buddy from 1 above (probably no longer a buddy after this step).

ta da

Good luck to all

Advertisement