Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum smokers to cease smoking in 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I only started yesterday and i'm grand so far. Except for just after dinner yesterday when i thought i would go insane for the want of a smoke.

I just got stuck into the dishes and it went away.

Gonna hit the pool for a long swim after work and hopefully that will allieviate some of the want.

Looking forward to getting back on the bike when the cold snap ends and i'm a few weeks off the fags, i'm expecting sensational results... i'll keep myself going with gym and pool till then.

My girlfriend is up the ballyjames so i'm pretty much off the booze too by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,050 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

McTigs wrote: »
    My girlfriend is up the ballyjames so i'm pretty much off the booze too by default.

Aww, now that's a touching sentiment. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

up the ballyjames
    Took me a minute but :).Thats an early contender for my new (to me) expression of the year.

I missed my 27th Dec deadline due to family not being able to go away as arranged due to weather.
    I am down to 10 a day from 30 and hope to go cold turkey at the weekend.
    Well done to all quitters and I hope to join you soon.

Lumen wrote: »
    Aww, now that's a touching sentiment. Congrats!
    Thank you very much! A bit unexpected but we're over the moon.

And a big added incentive to stay off the fags too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Congrats McTigs

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

@McTigs -should have added my contgratulations to that last post.
    You had better get loads of training miles in now-time may be scarce for a couple of decades.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Congrats, it doesnt mean you have to stop cycling though, just shop for different products

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

How did new years go taxman, are you finding much of a physical difference?

Still going strong I'm pleased to report. Can't really comment on any physical difference just yet cause due to injury and weather I haven't gone near a bike since after I gave up.

Best of luck going cold turkey,I know I couldn't. I still get my little fix of nicotine when needed but the thought of a real fag doesn't enter my head thank god.

Monies saved so far have gone towards a new Tacx Bushido turbo and a few alpine climbs.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

ha, just spotted this, i'm off since new years too. best of luck to everyone, it's a tough thing to do, but if the support here helps, all the better.
    @McTig, congratulations, that must be a hell of an incentive to stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Only new to the forum but may as well add my name to the list. Off them since new years eve. Day 6 and counting.

• Advertisement

1. Captain Havoc
    2 *cough*The Tax man*cough*
    3. McTigs
    4. thebouldwhacker; 4th January 2010
    5. papac
    6. Paulyh
    7. weaselman

Anyone else interested add your name to the list by quoting and editing. All 7 above still involved? I reckon putting your quit date will give a good guide on how well people are doing too... we need to decide on rewards/punishments too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Anyone else interested add your name to the list by quoting and editing. All 7 above still involved? I reckon putting your quit date will give a good guide on how well people are doing too... we need to decide on rewards/punishments too.

1. Captain Havoc 4th January 2010
    3. McTigs
    5. papac
    6. Paulyh
    7. weaselman

Reward, a good set of lungs is the best reward :D The money saved is paying for my commute to my new place of work :( Punishment, someone suggested earlier that the smokers pay for the lads on the list that still don't smoke in a sportive. I think the smokers should have to smoke 20 fags each the morning of the Seán Kelly and drink a nagin of whiskey, that'll teach the fückers.

sy wrote: »
    100388.jpg

Smoke twenty WHILE they are cycling it!

(I just cant get this photo outa my head, The poor guy second from the right probably said something like... 'lads I'm fooked, I cant breath, my lungs only work at 20% capacity coz of all the fags' to which his team said 'quick smoke this... there's another hill coming'.

I know the feeling:o

1. Captain Havoc 4th January 2010
    3. McTigs 4th January 2010
    5. papac
    6. Paulyh
    7. weaselman

I'm still in. Reward is not being blugened to a pulp at the hands of a rolling pin weilding girlfriend

100388.jpg
    I too love this photo. It's on the wall of the smoking room in Kelly's pub in galway.

Has the guy in the backround with his arm in the air just won the tour and are these end-of-tour celebration fags?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Bump!!

Well I just thought I'd ask how folks that kicked the habit are getting on?
    Hope everyone is still going strong.:)
    100388.jpg

I reckon that's an EPO joint being passed around at the front.

Still off them thank god.

The cravings have largely faded but i haven't quite turned into pain-in-the-arse-ex-smoker telling people you can't believe they can poison themselves with that filthy habit yet.

Captain Havoc still off, having a grumpy day today, don't know if it's a side effect or not, although I haven't had alcohol since the 2nd either. Maybe it's like that scene in Father Ted where Jack is sober for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Keep it up lads, and fair play to you.

I don't smoke but I've a brother who's attempting to kick them so I've a notion what way ye must be, stick with it and promise yourself a set of Zipps in Jan 2011 to reward yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

On my last week of the patches, it'll be 7 weeks this Thursday off them....but have had a few over the New Year period and the odd one since due to stress related problems (work). Back off them again so will really see how things work out next week when completely off the patches. Definitely found the patches really helpful, allowed me to deal with the habit of smoking first and then work on the nicotine addition second. Would recommend then to anyone that's finding it really hard giving up.

Although, I'm still allowing myself a hookah every now and again. Not sure if that means I failed but some things in life are just too good to give up.

• Advertisement

Still struggling to quit. Being snowed/iced in for a few weeks- frozen pipes etc- not conducive to giving up. Have cut down considerably and am focussed on giving up completely so I reckon I will do it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Try to use stressful situations as a test to your discipline when it comes to smoking. If you can get through this without them you can get through anything without them. You're in control here remember.

Well done to all of you who have not had one yet. The craving never really goes away, you just have them less often. If ever there was a good time to be a stubborn boll!x, now's the time.

be a stubborn boll!x

My wife says I'm great at that.:D

McTigs wrote: »
    I too love this photo. It's on the wall of the smoking room in Kelly's pub in galway.

Has the guy in the backround with his arm in the air just won the tour and are these end-of-tour celebration fags?

No, he's signalling to the team car for another packet of Gitanes after the guys at the front scabbed his last ones. He's not too bothered though as Gitanes are the official cigarette of his team and he's allowed no more than 5 boxes a day.

Done it.:D

A few weeks behind schedule but 2 days fag free.

In the words of Alan Carr- I am now a happy non smoker...

Don't miss em at all- I am a bit snappy but expect that to only last a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

papac wrote: »
    Done it.:D

A few weeks behind schedule but 2 days fag free.

In the words of Alan Carr- I am now a happy non smoker...

Don't miss em at all- I am a bit snappy but expect that to only last a few days.

Well done, this Alan Carr guy seems to be the man.
    My gf who is a smoker bought the book over a year ago and still has not opened it. We went to oz over xmas and she brought the book on the plane and i thought this is encouraging 24 hours on a plane could get through a lot of the book, she still never opened it over the hol and ended up smoking 25 a day by the time we got back, 10 more than before we went!! Rant over.
    On the good side every time she buys a pack thats €8 more I can spend on cycling and she can't give out!!

Best of luck though and keep it up!

Just had a snickers for the first time since I quit, damn that was tasty. Could be the new cake.

Just had a snickers for the first time since I quit,

MMMM Snickers. Good thing the shop is 12km away.

Seriously though-Everything tastes great now. I have got into raw carrots since I quit. Not trying to be super healthy- just tried one and it was delicious.Its great having taste buds again.

Hows everone doing- I am three weeks off em. Amazing difference on bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I've started to quit with the intention of getting fitter and maybe starting as a courier in the summer, and possibly eventually getting into racing, even recreationally. I was only on about 5-10 a day since last May, but then at least 20 a day for the last few months, so I thought I'd better pack it in. Came off them completely for a week, and now if I give in on a night out and have one, I find I don't enjoy them nearly as much, so I think I can happily come right off.

Serious respect to any long-term heavy smokers who have quit, I found it hard enough and I didn't even consider myself a 'real smoker'!

• Advertisement

I'll be off the fags a year on Sunday. This thread was a great boost at the time and I'd like to say thanks to all.Yay me.

Advertisement