Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decision Time looming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

Sweet! Enjoy! That's something to really look forward to. Are you going to spec one up yourself or does the dealer have something in stock? Although, I guess the Superb has pretty much everything on it as standard already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Dealer got a Superb Elegance in stock this day last week. It's black with beige leather interior and all the trimmings. I reckon we'll go with that, so no crazy wait times. Other than that it'd be 12 weeks wait.

Looking forward to a late xmas present for myself hehe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

flamegrill wrote: »
    Dealer got a Superb Elegance in stock this day last week. It's black with beige leather interior and all the trimmings. I reckon we'll go with that, so no crazy wait times. Other than that it'd be 12 weeks wait.

Sounds good.

My dealer told me that there is NO wait if you order off the shelf. There is only a 12 week wait if you add anything other than standard spec.

I was asking about 18" Alloys for only €357(Octavia) but the 12 week wait was too much to consider.

Black with beige leather. *Drools!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I was told that Skoda Ireland has bought in some stock, so if what you want is in the country you'll have no wait. outside of that you'll have to wait.

At the end of the day the only ones who really know are the distributors. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Biro wrote: »
    Ah come on - blows the A6 out of the water? Talk about getting carried away!

not a superb fan i guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

congrats, and well wear. Hope you get the best from your new superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

That estate version actually looks nice! one little pet peeve on it is the 'passenger air bag' written under the radio. Not enough to put one off but still a nice car.
    Is it the same engine as the saloon model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Your dog is gonna love that beige leather :D

Well wear and all that jazz too though. Savage beast of a car that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well wear. Was in a Skoda dealer in Waterford yesterday and they had a black Elegance with beige leather. Gorgeous car. I even like the looks:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

teednab-el wrote: »
    not a superb fan i guess?
    It doesn't matter whether I am or not, incorrect statements need to be pulled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

Well it was not an incorrect statement per se, more an opinion being expressed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

And what would you consider to be incorrect about the statement that the Superb blows the A6 out of the water?

There is no way in which the A6 is superior to the Superb, unless you are talking about re-sale value (offset by greater initial cost) or looks (purely subjective). If they don't perform the same as each other in various areas then the Superb out performs the A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Superb

WOW - Thats helpful.

The “tourist light” function is used by drivers traveling to the continent. Under normal circumstances vehicle lighting requires modification to cope with driving on the opposite side of the road. This is now controlled by the driver form the vehicle so physical modifications are now a thing of the past.

Berty wrote: »
    Superb

WOW - Thats helpful.

The “tourist light” function is used by drivers traveling to the continent. Under normal circumstances vehicle lighting requires modification to cope with driving on the opposite side of the road. This is now controlled by the driver form the vehicle so physical modifications are now a thing of the past.

Huh? Not quite sure what the above relates to, but if the above is a function that is required frequently - check that it's working before you take the car out of the dealers.

We are having some issues with an 09 Octavia L&K where this function isn't on the car, or can't be enabled. Xenon lights are standard on the L&K, can't remember if they are on the Superb Elegance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Ah come on - blows the A6 out of the water? Talk about getting carried away!

The suberb is getting great reviews. Some mags are rating it up there with the mondeo. Autocar rated the mondeo well above the A4 and A6 so its not inconcievable that a suberb is a better car than an Audi A6. In fact I'm surprised that the OP has'nt considered the mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Geoff845

I've been mulling over a new Car for 2010. We've looked at and priced the following cars.

New A4 Sport + S-line package 140BHP TDI. 43k
    New Superb Elegance 170BHP TDI with all the trimmings. 33k
    New Open Insignia Elite 160BHP CDTI. 35.5k

I've test driven the Superb and Insignia but none of the dealers appear to have the newer spec A4s in stock as of yet and I've only driven the 120PS old sport which doesn't have servotronic steering. The resulting driving experience isn't fantastic as the steering is very heavy. I can't imagine my missus liking it at all.

My question to you all, which would you choose? Value for money being the primary factor, i.e. how much bang you get for your buck.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Paul

You can get an Full S Line 2.0 TDI A6 with Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Bose Stereo etc for about €43, your mad going for the Skoda.

Geoff845 wrote: »
    You can get an Full S Line 2.0 TDI A6 with Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Bose Stereo etc for about €43, your mad going for the Skoda.

You knockin them out at that price Geoff?

Still €10k cheaper for a Superb with full leather and more space.

R.O.R wrote: »
    You knockin them out at that price Geoff?

Still €10k cheaper for a Superb with full leather and more space.

In Fairness he asked about the A4 at €42K, the A6 is a good option and to be honest you just cant compare either to the Audi. The Audi is a far better car than the Skoda, no matter what way you look at it, it looks like it was designed by some revolutionary communists child.

Plus he'll loose a fortune in 3 years.

In Fairness he asked about the A4 at €42K, the A6 is a good option and to be honest you just cant compare either to the Audi. The Audi is a far better car than the Skoda, no matter what way you look at it, it looks like it was designed by some revolutionary communists child.

Plus he'll loose a fortune in 3 years.

Just remind us what it is you do again Geoff?

The Audi is a far better looking car than the Skoda, I'll give you that. As I've stated earlier in the thread, except for resale value, the Superb is the same or better than the A6 in all other areas.

In 3 years / 60,000km I predict the A6 would lose €4,717.96 more than the Superb, because the Superb is €10k cheaper to begin with.

Just remind us what it is you do again Geoff?

The Audi is a far better looking car than the Skoda, I'll give you that. As I've stated earlier in the thread, except for resale value, the Superb is the same or better than the A6 in all other areas.

In 3 years / 60,000km I predict the A6 would lose €4,717.96 more than the Superb, because the Superb is €10k cheaper to begin with.

So your saying the Skoda drives the same and has the same finish and as the S Line A6? Give me a break. You can predict all you want, but in this climate I find it amazing you can work out to the cent what a car will stand in 3 years. Thats a very impressive ability and yes I would still pay the €5k premium for a better looking & better built car in 3 years.

I don't know why we are even comparing the 2, their in completely different leagues.

• Advertisement

So your saying the Skoda drives the same and has the same finish and as the S Line A6? Give me a break. You can predict all you want, but in this climate I find it amazing you can work out to the cent what a car will stand in 3 years. Thats a very impressive ability and yes I would still pay the €5k premium for a better looking & better built car in 3 years.

I don't know why we are even comparing the 2, their in completely different leagues.

I drove a Superb 170 Elegance and an A6 170 SE earlier in the year, back to back over the same journey. The Interior Fit, finish & specification of the Superb was better than the A6. The Touchscreen radio is better than Audi's system, the electric seats are better than the levels on the Audi. The leather feels of higher quality.

The engine is the same, I'd guess the majority of suspension components are shared between the 2 cars. Neither handle as well as a 5 series, but the route wasn't one to test the handling. If you are the type of driver to throw a car in to the bends you'd be looking at either the 5 Series or A6 quattro. On a normal daily drive it would be hard to pinpoint any difference between the 2 large saloons.

As far as better built :eek: Time will tell, but we've had a lot less issues with Skoda's than we have with Audi's over the past few years, and I don't see why that won't continue.

It's my job to predict resale values, advise customers what is good value for money & buy lots of cars, just like it's yours to sell Audi's. I admire your brand loyalty, but think you are being a bit blinkered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

In this months Top Gear magazine,

Skoda Superb, Luxury car of the year award.

To the OP, congratulations and best of luck with the new car, I would choose the same car myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi Geoff ....have you a deposit down on a white R8 yet ?? ;)

I have to say though, was in the The Big Smoke at the w/end, and was passengered in an 08 Superb, and the Boss has an 09 A6 2.0Tdi outside the window. Audi better looking, Skoda much more comfortable - the Audi is as hard as rocks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good luck with the new car OP.

Owned the A4 and have seen the new superb and would take the superb over it any day. The finish in the superb is excellent and considering that the Superb is built off a lot of A4 parts then you are well sorted.

That black one there in the pic looks like a fine car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I own a 09 A6 and like it the ride isn't that hard in fact its much better than last car I had S40.

But given your options you went the right way choosing the Superb enjoy it and well may it wear.

And what would you consider to be incorrect about the statement that the Superb blows the A6 out of the water?

There is no way in which the A6 is superior to the Superb, unless you are talking about re-sale value (offset by greater initial cost) or looks (purely subjective). If they don't perform the same as each other in various areas then the Superb out performs the A6.

See that's the thing. The A6 is bigger than the Superb, has a nicer interior and nicer exterior. The Superb is excellent value for sure, far better value than the A6. It's a Passat chassis and has also some components from the Octavia. It's a softer ride than the A6, which is a good thing, because the A6 is harder without the handling reward. Maybe the standard of build is better in the Skoda, but how does a few minor advantages along with some minor disadvantages combine to make the Skoda "Blow the A6 out of the water"? It's a silly statement. If he said in terms of value only, he'd be right, but he meant in every way, like you said above, and that's just incorrect.
    An F430 blows a 348 out of the water in every way. A Superb does not blow an A6 out of the water. It's a more comfortable ride in a far better value package, lets leave it at that. Too many boardies are over stating the Skoda qualities for too long. Anyone would think that comparing a new Skoda to their rival is like comparing a Maybach to a Morris Minor.
    Some Dude wrote:
    Well it was not an incorrect statement per se, more an opinion being expressed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether you agree with it or not.
    It was an incorrect statement. An opinion is fine, but if I said "In my opinion, the Eiffel Tower is far taller than the Empire State building" I'd be wrong, opinion entitlement wouldn't change that.

See that's the thing. The A6 is bigger than the Superb, has a nicer interior and nicer exterior. The Superb is excellent value for sure, far better value than the A6. It's a Passat chassis and has also some components from the Octavia. It's a softer ride than the A6, which is a good thing, because the A6 is harder without the handling reward. Maybe the standard of build is better in the Skoda, but how does a few minor advantages along with some minor disadvantages combine to make the Skoda "Blow the A6 out of the water"? It's a silly statement. If he said in terms of value only, he'd be right, but he meant in every way, like you said above, and that's just incorrect.
    An F430 blows a 348 out of the water in every way. A Superb does not blow an A6 out of the water. It's a more comfortable ride in a far better value package, lets leave it at that. Too many boardies are over stating the Skoda qualities for too long. Anyone would think that comparing a new Skoda to their rival is like comparing a Maybach to a Morris Minor.

We can continue to go around in circles if you like, but the fact is, overall the Superb is a much better package than the A6. If you want to argue otherwise, please go ahead - I'm sure Geoff845 will back you up there.
    It was an incorrect statement. An opinion is fine, but if I said "In my opinion, the Eiffel Tower is far taller than the Empire State building" I'd be wrong, opinion entitlement wouldn't change that.

What you mean there is that it's an incorrect statement in your opinion. See the irony?

We can continue to go around in circles if you like, but the fact is, overall the Superb is a much better package than the A6. If you want to argue otherwise, please go ahead - I'm sure Geoff845 will back you up there.

Much better? OK then. List the ways in which it's "Much better".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Much better? OK then. List the ways in which it's "Much better".

He already has :confused:

• Advertisement

robbie99 wrote: »
    He already has :confused:

No he hasn't, he just generalised a few things, like more space, which it actually has less of.

Advertisement