Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decision Time looming

Options
  • 06-12-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

I've been mulling over a new Car for 2010. We've looked at and priced the following cars.

New A4 Sport + S-line package 140BHP TDI. 43k
    New Superb Elegance 170BHP TDI with all the trimmings. 33k
    New Open Insignia Elite 160BHP CDTI. 35.5k

I've test driven the Superb and Insignia but none of the dealers appear to have the newer spec A4s in stock as of yet and I've only driven the 120PS old sport which doesn't have servotronic steering. The resulting driving experience isn't fantastic as the steering is very heavy. I can't imagine my missus liking it at all.

My question to you all, which would you choose? Value for money being the primary factor, i.e. how much bang you get for your buck.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

flamegrill wrote: »
    I've been mulling over a new Car for 2010. We've looked at and priced the following cars.

I've test driven the Superb and Insignia but none of the dealers appear to have the newer spec A4s in stock as of yet and I've only driven the 120PS old sport which doesn't have servotronic steering. The resulting driving experience isn't fantastic as the steering is very heavy. I can't imagine my missus liking it at all.

My question to you all, which would you choose? Value for money being the primary factor, i.e. how much bang you get for your buck.

Paul

If given these choices I would go with the Superb, it is so underrated for such a good car. Good value as well for what your getting under the bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

A4 is much smaller than the other 2 cars, you should be comparing the A6

The Superb is huge if you can over the badge snobbery the 170 bhp engine should pull like a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The insignia will depricate more than the Audi and wont be worth too much in a few years time. But 43k on a A4 seems like lunacy money to me and its only a diesel too with only 140bhp on tap. That diesel engine in the Opel isnt supposed to be the best either I think a new one is on the way.Would you not have a look a Subaru Legacy Diesel while your out looking?

There's no Subaru dealer close by so I've not even bothered looking online.

The insignia would be the 2010 model. There's a lot of faff going on about blue tooth and Sat Nav in it and the dealers are moaning about it.

teednab-el wrote: »
    If given these choices I would go with the Superb, it is so underrated for such a good car. Good value as well for what your getting under the bonnet!

I'm edging that way alright. Got a good few photos of the superb yesterday before and after I test drove it.

A4 is much smaller than the other 2 cars, you should be comparing the A6

The Superb is huge if you can over the badge snobbery the 170 bhp engine should pull like a train.

Inside the cabin of the insignia is roughly around the same size as the A4 leg room wise.

I'm not really comparing the cars on that basis. I'm comparing them based on features and looks first and then value for money second.

I reckon I'm over the badge snobbery. It's a VAG car through and through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Had a look at a Superb in the showroom the other day and was very impressed. It may have had a few belts of the ugly stick (although I'm actually getting used to that front) but up close it is seriously imposing. Interior is sumptious, although I'm not too sure about the wood trim. Elegance is packed to the rafters too - heated elec seats with memory and full leather, sat nav, hard drive, sensors all round and bags of other kit. It'll even - literally - park itself FFS! You sure as hell won't get that kind of spec in the Audi for 43k! As noted in every review too, it is massive inside (and out!). If you can wait till Feb, the estate will be out then which will be a serious load lugger and loses that droopy backside!

edit: I would check out the Legacy too, and maybe the Octavia VRS?

The main reason I'm considering the Superb is the boot. It's a saloon car or is it? :) That dual opening boot is very cool, i'm just a little worried at how we'll it wear. We've a big dog who currently just flops about on the back seats of my Passat. She'll fit nicely into the boot of the 5 door insignia or the superb.

Heh I even took a squiz at the A5 sportback yesterday, has nice boot space. But again silly money and the spec doesn't compare to the Superb Elegance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd pick the superb. Have you seen the estate? A lot better looking than the saloon imo

EPM wrote: »
    I'd pick the superb. Have you seen the estate? A lot better looking than the saloon imo

Not in the flesh. I've seen pictures online and that. It's out though unfortunately as herself despises Estate cars. She may come round some day, we'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

id defo get the superb 170bhp diesel in the top of the range model. the a4 is crazy money for such a basic car for big money. i have a 07 passat was thinkin about changing but not next year i will be buying the superb id say the passat is very bland like the audi..

• Advertisement

The touch screen radio in the elegance is very cool. The radio in the Audi looks horrible but the screen placement is higher and means it's easier to look at.

I've attached pictures of the Radio, Interior and the Front of the Car that I test drove yesterday. Beige leather interior in this was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Have you seen the SD lost in the Bolero radio. Im hoping to have a VRs in the new year so looking forward to being able to put my SD loaded with songs into it.

Much better than my IPOD with radio transmitter and charging leads all over the place.

I didn't notice an SD card slot on it. But looking at the picture again I see it there at the bottom. nice!

EPM wrote: »

Is there such thing? I have not seen one, cannot find prices and the brochure does not even mention it.

Yep. See the attached image.

Full catalogue for the estate:
    http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Catalogue/SuperbCombi/SuperbCombi_Catalogue_ENG.pdf

Out here around Feb. I believe the dealers are meeting this week to set prices, expected to be approx €1200 more than the h/b. I reckon this could actually be a big hit for Skoda.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Full catalogue for the estate:
    http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Catalogue/SuperbCombi/SuperbCombi_Catalogue_ENG.pdf

Out here around Feb. I believe the dealers are meeting this week to set prices, expected to be approx €1200 more than the h/b. I reckon this could actually be a big hit for Skoda.

5 or more sales?

That Combi has some list of goodies available. Electrically open taillift, lights in the taillift and lots more.

5 or more sales?

Being a bit of a pessimist there Henry! Massive estate, high quality, loads of goodies, way better looking than the h/b yet at a bargain price? I'd buy one if I was in the market for one....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Superb gives you by far the most bang for your buck. 2nd would be the Insignia (presume ECOFlex version for 2010) with the A4 lagging well, well behind. Earlier in the year had a Superb 170 Elegance and an A6 170 SE come off the same truck for 2 customers. Drove them back to back (for refuelling) and despite a €9,000 price difference (or thereabouts at the time) the Superb kicked the ass off the A6 in all areas except performance (same).

Insignia isn't bad, but if you don't mind the looks of the Superb then it's the best value out there at the moment.

P.S - first time I drove an A4 with Servotronic I thought there was something wrong with it. Don't like that system at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd go with the Insignia. A4 is grossly over-priced. The Superb is excellent value, but just uninspiring and ugly. The Insignia is the best handling and a much nicer interior to the Skoda. Elite is a great spec too. There's a twin-turbo version of that 2 litre coming out if that's of any interest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Being a bit of a pessimist there Henry! Massive estate, high quality, loads of goodies, way better looking than the h/b yet at a bargain price? I'd buy one if I was in the market for one....

More a realist perhaps? The market is dead, no credit is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

+1 IMO

I cant really see any incentive to buy in 2010 rather than holding out 'till 2011 or 12, prices should at least as low then :(

Back on topic, iId go for the Superb too, massive spec for the money and blows the A6 out of the water, not a mind the A4. Put 18" alloys on it, rather the standard 17" ones, OP, and no one can say it aint an imposing and good looking car!:)

Actually on the subjest of the skoda, are volkswagen bank any better for lending?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

On that note (apologies for going OT), anyone know if Lombard are still lending direct to the public? I don't think GE Money are doing much at the moment (if any) so if Lombard aren't then there could be even more issues than 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Paul

Dont go Sport + S Line route on A4. Add the S Line to the price which works out as follows:

A4 TDI 143 - €36,200
    Add S Line - €3150
    Add Xenons - €1400

=

€40,750

The only thing you really want in the Sport is Xenons. Everything else is contained within S Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

RedorDead wrote: »
    The only thing you really want in the Sport is Xenons.

You’re right; the really desirable part of the a4 sport line is the xenons. Not much else to get too excited over. Although the day time driving lights have a love them or hate them element. A mate of mine who drives an a5 actually has them turned off. I personally like them, but they are becoming a bit common on the roads now.

Of the three I’d go with the superb. It's a bit different and you get a lot of bang for your buck. And as you said, just like the audi it’s a VAG car :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very wise of the OP to only consider the A4 with servo steer option. After much annoyance with A5 and dealer & Audi saying its fine, they are finally agreeing that standard steer system is crap. Says alot for the steering geometry really when you have to introduce electronic control to make it useable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Back on topic, iId go for the Superb too, massive spec for the money and blows the A6 out of the water, not a mind the A4. Put 18" alloys on it, rather the standard 17" ones, OP, and no one can say it aint an imposing and good looking car!:)

Ah come on - blows the A6 out of the water? Talk about getting carried away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Biro wrote: »
    Ah come on - blows the A6 out of the water? Talk about getting carried away!

Given the price difference, that is:)

I wouldnt actually take the Superb over the A6!

• Advertisement

The general consensus appears to be that the Superb is the best value for money. It's also probably the most practical for our needs.

it looks like this will be the way we're going. Roll on January 7th 2010 when I pick her up!

Advertisement