Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Trampas

He must be closer to top scorers over last 3 rounds lately.

Just a little slow out of the blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

6 clear of Wiesberger as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I know winning the Open exceeds everything Shane has done this year,but he has slumped since that great win.Hopefully he can get back challenging and winning in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I know winning the Open exceeds everything Shane has done this year,but he has slumped since that great win.Hopefully he can get back challenging and winning in 2020.

Let's see how he gets on next week in Dubai before we write off the rest of this year for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,736 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A week of boozing when you have just hit the best form of your life isn't going to help things. It could set you back six months.
    I hope he gets back to the form he showed in Portrush soon. He is massively talented and capable of winning all the majors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

eagle eye wrote: »
    A week of boozing when you have just hit the best form of your life isn't going to help things. It could set you back six months.
    I hope he gets back to the form he showed in Portrush soon. He is massively talented and capable of winning all the majors.

WTF?!

Shane has never been a player week in week out up the top end of leaderboards like a Kuchar. I would expect he would like to contend more than he does, as would any player but to say a ‘week on the booze’ will set him back 6 months is outrageous. It’s not like he has fallen off the planet, he is still in the worlds top 20.

He has said several times he enjoyed his week but didn’t go too hard at it.

If you can’t take a few days off and enjoy winning the Open you never will. Many players have said how they didn’t take time to enjoy there major successes and regret it.

Remind me wrote:
    If you can’t take a few days off and enjoy winning the Open you never will. Many players have said how they didn’t take time to enjoy there major successes and regret it.
    He could have taken time to enjoy it on mid-September.

He won the open in week 29

Returned for playoffs 32/33

Next week was 38 in went worth

I’m sure his head has been spinning for a lot of the time since as demands have increased. Probably takes 6 months to get yourself back.

Loads go through this phase after winning their first major. Nothing unusual. Just has to keep the head and don’t do anything crazy and he’ll be back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He could have taken time to enjoy it on mid-September.

On your logic, Mid september would have had him wiped out until shortly after the Players Championship in mid-March :)

Rikand wrote:
    On your logic, Mid september would have had him wiped out until shortly after the Players Championship in mid-March
    I didn't say he had to go drink 20+ pints per day.

• Advertisement

10 with some chasers

It’s exactly what you implied.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jeez, a guy has the biggest win of his career, probably the biggest possible tournament to win for a lad from Ireland, he won it on the island of Ireland and won it well and all this criticism for him enjoying it.
    Everything Shane did after winning epitomises Shane and why he is so popular in media, fans and amongst fellow professionals.
    I bet there were many Pros seeing Shane's antics and wishing they spent more time savouring a Major win and not hopping on a plane the following morning for the ProAm Wednesday.

Hard crowd

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think too many people expected Shane to kick on and start challenging at the top of the leaderboard each week but I don't think that was ever on the cards.

He's still a very good golfer but he'll have more bad weeks than good. He's not going to start raking up lots of top 5 or top 10 finishes. Winning a major doesn't change that.

But when he's on it he's capable of winning any tournament. Surprised he's not going to South Africa but he'll still have a good chance next week Dubai.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Remind me wrote:
    It’s exactly what you implied.
    No, you have alcohol on the brain if you took that from my post.

Rikand wrote:
    On your logic, Mid september would have had him wiped out until shortly after the Players Championship in mid-March
    BTW, did you make it over to Clara for the celebrations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I think it's unlikely Shane would have been able to focus on his game in the immediate aftermath of his win. So he was probably right to take the week off. And maybe he did celebrate a bit more than most other golfers, but that's just the type of guy he is and I don't think anyone should blame him for that.

Among other things, he must have been feeling an awful sense of relief that this one didn't get away from him. The impact that losing a four shot lead in the US Open had on his game was much greater than any hangover related impact of some overenthusiastic celebrations.

Your comment comes across as churlish and begrudging. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounds. And even the worst hangover in the world doesn't last six months!

BTW, did you make it over to Clara for the celebrations?

Nope, if he came to athlone I might have popped in to see him alright but I wouldn't be bothered heading all the way over there :pac:

abff wrote:
    Your comment comes across as churlish and begrudging. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounds. And even the worst hangover in the world doesn't last six months!
    Nothing begrudging about my comments. I was delighted for him winning the Open but feel he should have went straight to the US to enhance his chances of taking the Fed Ex Cup title.
    I really do believe it was a wrong decision to head home and go drinking.

Maybe I do. Used to love a decent feed of pints but unfortunately not anymore.

You brought it up and implied his celebrations would set him back 6 months which was a ridiculous comment.

• Advertisement

Remind me wrote:
    You brought it up and implied his celebrations would set him back 6 months which was a ridiculous comment.
    How is it ridiculous? Do you understand what a week on the beer does to the body? Do you understand how long it takes to put muscle memory in place and how quickly you can lose it?

How is it ridiculous? Do you understand what a week on the beer does to the body? Do you understand how long it takes to put muscle memory in place and how quickly you can lose it?

Yeah I do know what it does and it doesn’t knock you back 6 months even if it was a major bender.

Do you know how much he drank every day? He is on record as saying he didn’t have that much and of all the many interviews he did that week with the media not once did he come across as drunk or any of the normal signs of someone who has had an week on the beer’

That is what makes your comments ridiculous.

Ok folks, back to Shane Lowry the golfer discussion, every time weight/partying/drink gets discussed it's flaming and goes around in circles.

Let's concentrate on his golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Embarrassing post talking about muscle memory FFS......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I agree with the point eagle eye is trying to make :eek:

Top form can be fleeting. A streak of a few weeks can come and go and define a career. Lowry didn't sneak a win, or get lucky or something. He Dominated from start to finish, destroying the best in the world along the way by a final margin of 6 shots. Shane himself has defined himself as a streaky player. While I was over the moon for him, I was a little disappointed to see him pull out of the next competition and not kick on from there and get used to beating the best in the world!

I hope he can start to play with the kind of form he had back in July and solidify himself as one of the best in the world. There really is nothing better than to see his name at the top of the leaderboard.. and I want to see more of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

RoadRunner wrote: »

Top form can be fleeting. A streak of a few weeks can come and go and define a career. Lowry didn't sneak a win, or get lucky or something. He Dominated from start to finish, destroying the best in the world along the way by a final margin of 6 shots. Shane himself has defined himself as a streaky player. While I was over the moon for him, I was a little disappointed to see him pull out of the next competition and not kick on from there and get used to beating the best in the world!

I hope he can start to play with the kind of form he had back in July and solidify himself as one of the best in the world. There really is nothing better than to see his name at the top of the leaderboard.. and I want to see more of it!
    Different strokes for different folks. :)

We've seen players come out after a big win and just be faffing around the course because their head is still living in the previous weekend or they're just mentally tired after the effort. And we've seen the oppposite too. Rory McIlroy has done it, Tiger Woods obviously comes to mind too. Imo, if you're used to winning, it's easier to reset for the next competition. But I'd say it's tough. It's not a week later, it's just a few days before you're back to travel, practice rounds and the first round of the next competition.

Won a full tour event as an amateur, won a regular event, won a WGC and won a Major, if he can repeat that over his next 10 year then happy days

slave1 wrote: »
    Won a full tour event as an amateur, won a regular event, won a WGC and won a Major, if he can repeat that over his next 10 year then happy days

Hopefully he doesnt have to go back to being an amateur at some point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

RoadRunner wrote: »

I know what you're saying but let's face it...his head was never going to be in it. Mentally, he would have been knackered after that Sunday. Keeping the doubts at bay, keeping the thoughts of winning at bay...keeping himself on a relatively even keel to see it out.

If it was his second major, then maybe I'd be more inclined to say he should have kicked on.

But as it was, better to let it sink in and digest it and enjoy it and come back to it when he was ready.

He knows he can do it when it counts now. He proved it. Playing the next week wouldn't solidify that any more than it is, imho.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote:
    You are setting a very low bar for man with his talent. I'd be hoping he wins a lot more majors.

Advertisement