Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

robinph runs around roads

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's not David Beckham, it is another current Engerland and Chealski captain though. :D

The cattle grids, gates and some bits of uneven surface certainly slowed things down a bit. But I think it may have helped me a touch as well. I was concentrating on making sure I didn't trip up at the cattle grids, walking through every water stop and it broke things up a bit. By starting off, when you're feeling great, and doing the walk through the water and across cattle grids means that you loose a bit of time, but you soon gain it back again which then annoys the people you are racing against who thought they had just "overtaken" a knackered runner. Then you re-take the place back again half a mile down the road.

You also then don't have the tricky mental decision later in the race when you really are knackered about if you should stop to walk through the next water station and will you get going again, and does stopping for a 20 second walk mean failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Whats the goal for London Robin? 2'55? Any half planned leading up to it?

You gonan train properly or just go the half assed route again ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I now believe that quicker than 2:55 is possible in my current form so would be perfectly happy to head off at that pace in London. One of my brothers won't show me any kind of respect until I get to 2:45 though, and the other one is trying to talk me into NY next year.

I am currently hoping that I'll try for doing some proper training for it this time rather than my half assed route that has got me through so far. But I can't see myself actually following a pre-set plan or anything from a book like the rest of you do. I may have a glance at some plans however and change my targets a bit, and there is even the possibility of not doing quite as many races in the build up...but that may be taking things a little too seriously.

I've not looked for a half yet, but when I do I am now expecting to be getting something very close to 80minutes, or preferably under. Just need to find one a suitable time before London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

robinph wrote: »
    I now believe that quicker than 2:55 is possible in my current form so would be perfectly happy to head off at that pace in London. One of my brothers won't show me any kind of respect until I get to 2:45 though, and the other one is trying to talk me into NY next year.

I am currently hoping that I'll try for doing some proper training for it this time rather than my half assed route that has got me through so far. But I can't see myself actually following a pre-set plan or anything from a book like the rest of you do. I may have a glance at some plans however and change my targets a bit, and there is even the possibility of not doing quite as many races in the build up...but that may be taking things a little too seriously.

I've not looked for a half yet, but when I do I am now expecting to be getting something very close to 80minutes, or preferably under. Just need to find one a suitable time before London.

Doing Silverstone myself, middle of nowhere but a perfect course for a pb by the looks of it, 3 laps of the F1 course and no hills (along with the midday start :D) I see Bath is now sold out, that would have suited you fine. Plenty of others around the place anyway.

If things go to plan for me sub 2'55 would be my target but there's a long way to go yet. Pints afterwards either way :p

Went and watched Bath last year. Surprised at how popular it seems, but I didn't like the look of the course especially. Looked as if it was a bit crowded on the second lap.

Silverstone sounds interesting, would not want it to be windy as it would be a bit exposed.

Edit: Definitely on for pints after London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck robinph, judging by the amount of updates on this log you'll need it :D

I know you won't belive me, but I have actually done some training this time round. Still not quite the level that I'd have liked and life got in the way a bit at times, but good things "should" be possible tomorrow.

Just shy of a 60 minute 10miler recently and a decent time on a hilly trail half marathon makes me confident of the speed. I'm sure I've not done enough long miles compared to what I think would be in various training plans the rest of ye might be following, but I'm way ahead of what I had done prior to DCM'10.

Full of confidence. Just need the diabetes and other medical issues to keep out of the way for the duration and I think a 2:55 should be well within my grasp.

New 1 mile pb of 5:13 :D

However, done on footpath around a park and up and down a bit of a hill. :confused:

Was the second leg of a 3x1 mile relay which we easily won with a team cobbled together over Facebook this morning, but this clearly means that I need to find another track race to do a proper time seeing as my last, and only, track mile was back in '09.

Advertisement