Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

robinph runs around roads

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:mad: <angry> <annoyed> <confused> :mad:

Seems like this recent upping of the mileage is messing about with my body in unexpected ways as I just cannot seem to keep going for much more than an hour before my legs start to give way now due to sugar levels bottoming out. Wasn't a problem before, but then I might have only run for that long once in a blue moon. Going to have to go along and confuse the folks at the hospital and get some things changed around before I'm going out running for more than 5'ish miles again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Once I had eventually figured out how to keep putting one leg in front of the other I finished off doing 10 and a bit miles @ 7:50'ish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

That really is a pain in the backside, hope you get it sorted!

did you not do a marathon before? did you run that on guts instead of long runs?:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, the last marathon was mostly just run on guts I guess. It certainly wasn't based on any decent amount of training. Think it's just with the more regular longer runs it is making me more sensitive/ using better the insulin so I just need to adjust down some dosages, just need to have a chat with the hospital about exactly which to switch around as it's not always the most obvious one.

Anyway, off to drink more beer tonight so I'll worry about that and give them a call tomorrow.

Well had a bit of a chat with the hospital yesterday and they agreed with my analysis of the problem and what to change to fix it. Although at the same time admitting to not really having a whole lot of information about people doing as much exercise as I'm now building up to so I know as much as they do about how to deal with it. They did suggest making a bigger change to the meds than I would have picked to change by myself so just have to try things for a while now and see what happens and hoping that it doesn't mess up my readings in other times of the day or on non long run days.

A very cold 5 and a bit @ 7:25'ish today.

Too early to tell if things are working right again yet, the stuff I changed works over 24hours+ so takes time to make a difference. Also I was a bit out of sync from normal with my schedule today before heading out for the run so numbers were a bit off and cannot really tell at this stage the exact cause of that and if it's the intended change or just me being a bit bad.

I was glad to make it round the full 10 and a bit @ 7:30 pace without any trouble today though so happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Sounds like you are having a rough time of it Robin - hope it regulates soon on new regime. We need to get you in shape for a decent rematch for the Leixlip 5 ;)

It is to a certain extent self inflicted hassle that I'm trying to figure out at the moment, as I'm not the most well behaved patient ever as far as following "the rules" is concerned. Assuming I don't break myself in Rotterdam though I'll be back to give you a good race again in Lexlip. If I don't go and get drunk on the 31st I should be able to get a good time on the 1st as well ... give you a time to aim for. ;)

Another freezing cold 5'ish miles today @ 7:50'ish, had to watch for the paths being a bit slippy going up and down some hilly bits I found as well.

5.5'ish @ 7:10'ish today.

Although it was far too cold to be going outside in shorts, the paths were not actually a problem today as we'd had no new precipitation. I did nearly come a cropper going past the end of someones driveway though, I guess they had been washing the car earlier so the pavement in front had then turned to ice.

The last week I only totalled about 15miles and mostly just served to keep the legs moving. Just did another few miles today to finish off 2009, I seem to find I go flying along without even trying the day after a hangover. :confused:

7'ish @ 7'ish today.

Apart from having to skate to get across the roads it was actually a nice run out there today. Time and distance mostly irrelevant as it was just an exercise in keeping the legs turning over and finding a few more new paths nearby that I never knew existed before.

• Advertisement

Just been going slowly round and round in circles of the nearest park I could find without any hills in the way for the last couple of days. I did upgrade to a pair of Screw Shoes for todays run.

5 miles yesterday and then just over 6 miles today @8'ish including stops for skating across the roads still.

Put a few extra screws in my shoes today and undid the ones already in there a but so they stuck out a bit more. I think I may be getting a bit to fast for the conditions at the moment as I ended up doing a few 7:30 pace miles on the way round my 7 miles of looping back and forth past kids wanting to throw snowballs at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

robinph wrote: »
    Put a few extra screws in my shoes today and undid the ones already in there a but so they stuck out a bit more. I think I may be getting a bit to fast for the conditions at the moment as I ended up doing a few 7:30 pace miles on the way round my 7 miles of looping back and forth past kids wanting to throw snowballs at me.

Natures way of telling you to do some fartlek!

Well it was quieter out in the park today, guess the threat of fresh snow actually falling out of the sky kept people indoors, so no chance to try out that fartlek training technique. Covered about 10.5 miles going round in circles today at just over 8 pace, so the fresh snow, whilst providing more grip, also slowed me down a fair bit.

The last week was a bit...erm...rubbish. I did a 5 mile and a 6 mile run around in circles on the snow last Friday and Saturday, then Sunday I planned to go for a longer run. I'd not figured out how far I intended to go but wanted to plod around for a minimum of 12. That didn't happen though as I had just had enough of the small laps of the park I was doing and the snow was being a drag so just ended up with 8 before I gave up. :mad:

Then we've had the two days of defrosting so didn't go out at all, but this evening all the snow and ice gone and the 3rd race of the Raheny Winter League.

So tonight was a speed training session 3 mile race and I managed to get around in 17:33, that's knocking nearly 50 seconds off my previous time. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Fxxx me, that's great running. Fair play. See you at the next Raheny Race.

I was hoping to be able to beat my previous time, but had not expected to be taking that much out of it so well happy with that.

...and it was probably the first race of the year anywhere in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

The last week was a bit...erm...rubbish. I did a 5 mile and a 6 mile run around in circles on the snow last Friday and Saturday, then Sunday I planned to go for a longer run. I'd not figured out how far I intended to go but wanted to plod around for a minimum of 12. That didn't happen though as I had just had enough of the small laps of the park I was doing and the snow was being a drag so just ended up with 8 before I gave up. :mad:

Then we've had the two days of defrosting so didn't go out at all, but this evening all the snow and ice gone and the 3rd race of the Raheny Winter League.

So tonight was a speed training session 3 mile race and I managed to get around in 17:33, that's knocking nearly 50 seconds off my previous time. :D:D:D
    great running well done, whats your 5mile pb again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think the main thing I get from that is that training only holds you back!
    Feet up and relax until the next race!!

shels4ever wrote: »
    great running well done, whats your 5mile pb again?

I did 30:56 in the BHAA RTE 5 mile and a 30:46 in the Adamstown 8k last year. McMilian still has me just missing out on the 30minutes for a 5 mile though, based on last nights time.

Sounds like a challenge to me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I did 30:56 in the BHAA RTE 5 mile and a 30:46 in the Adamstown 8k last year. McMilian still has me just missing out on the 30minutes for a 5 mile though, based on last nights time.

Sounds like a challenge to me. :D

Yes I'd say you will bevery close to that 30 mins mark :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

belcarra wrote: »
    I think the main thing I get from that is that training only holds you back!
    Feet up and relax until the next race!!

+1 fair play Robinph. You and Christeb. Might try your tactic of missing training before the next race.

I think today was my first proper run out of any distance since I went and changed the meds around a bit weeks ago. Still need to try things out a bit more yet, but it's looking good so far for me being able to keep running for over an hour without falling over. Don't know what was going on with the pace today though as I was flying along without actually intending to be going that fast so ended up doing 10 and a bit @ 7:10'ish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

great running - not just last night but today - the legs obviously werent too stiff, thats some pace. prob felt comfortable tho cause it was so much slower than last night

Just did 4'ish, was going to go a bit further but changed my mind part way round and took a shortcut back.

After the 4 miles of racing through the mud in Tymon Park yesterday I decided to try and make up for the lack of miles earlier in the week and got a longer run in this afternoon. Ended up doing 13 and a bit miles with it averaging out at 7:20'ish, I threw in a few faster ones in the middle for a laugh as well just to see what happened.

Looks like I still need to mess around with changing the meds a bit more though after todays run. :mad:

I did get a bit of running in during this week, mostly due to being bored during the Great Boardsie Blackout of 2010. Was only a bunch of relatively short ones though with a 5 and a bit, a 7 and a bit and another 5 and a bit. Today was another BHAA cross country though so again time for a bit more speed work. According to the Garmin the course was just a touch over 5 miles and I did that in 30:36, so I am a bit more hopeful of actually being able to break the 30 in Raheny next week.

Have to go and see what I can spend my prize voucher from today on in Lifestyle sports now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I did get a bit of running in during this week, mostly due to being bored during the Great Boardsie Blackout of 2010. Was only a bunch of relatively short ones though with a 5 and a bit, a 7 and a bit and another 5 and a bit. Today was another BHAA cross country though so again time for a bit more speed work. According to the Garmin the course was just a touch over 5 miles and I did that in 30:36, so I am a bit more hopeful of actually being able to break the 30 in Raheny next week.

Have to go and see what I can spend my prize voucher from today on in Lifestyle sports now.

What was your finish position Robinph? Thats a great time.

What was your finish position Robinph? Thats a great time.

Think I was around about 40th this week, with BeepBeep67 not far behind. There certainly seemed to be more faster people about at this weeks race, but I guess that dragged me along to a faster time. Was shocked when my Garmin was beeping the mile splits at me at 6 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

EH, I hope thats an individual prize and not a team prize.

Advertisement