Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Archimedes wrote: »
    I can't do it guys. 2 more months to wait. It's taking so long :(

Come out and Watch the IAFL playoff's.

18th July:
    1: Cork Admirals vs West Dublin Rhinos in Cork

25th July:
    2: Dublin Rebels vs Winner Game 1 in Santry
    3: University of Limerick Vikings vs Carrickfergus Knights in Limerick

7th August:
    Shamrock Bowl: Winner of Game 2 vs Winner of Game 3 in Tallaght Stadium

Tickets for the Shamrock Bowl are on sale from Ticketmaster.ie for 6euro. Its great value as it should be a cracking game whoever the participants are. So come on get out there and watch some American Football and cheer on the IAFL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i see jeremy green has flushed his career/life down the toilet.

liked his rants on football today but have zero respect for the guy now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5367617

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

RuggieBear wrote: »
    i see jeremy green has flushed his career/life down the toilet.

liked his rants on football today but have zero respect for the guy now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5367617

Jebus them are some serious charges. What a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i suppose i should wait and see if he is found guilty but those are indeedy some serious charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I liked Jeremy Green, I love the ESPN podcast with podvader.
    There are some very serious charges, his career is finished

What can you say but "he isn't what we thought he is"
    Yeah, incorrect grammer, you get the point

Matt Williamson, the new host is even better then him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Best. Signature. Ever.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Why can't i manage to find a store that s selling NCAA 11 for Xbox 360 for Ireland or the UK :(

Also hello forum !

Stev_o wrote: »
    Why can't i manage to find a store that s selling NCAA 11 for Xbox 360 for Ireland or the UK :(

Also hello forum !

Because EA don't make the game for European Xbox's. It is and always has been a US exclusive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Because EA don't make the game for European Xbox's. It is and always has been a US exclusive game.

Well that's a disappointment have to wait till August for Madden then!

Best. Signature. Ever.

:D

Clearly its this:
    bradyManningBrady.jpg

Mods: If this picture is not allowed I apologise

• Advertisement

Clearly its this:
    bradyManningBrady.jpg

I get the bang of Manning Vs Brady thread off that pic :D

Where is Davyjose these days, does anyone else not miss him and eagle eye going at it about Brady and Manning? I do in a small way. Those threads were annoying but entertaining at the same time :D:D

I get the bang of Manning Vs Brady thread off that pic :D

Where is Davyjose these days, does anyone else not miss him and eagle eye going at it about Brady and Manning? I do in a small way. Those threads were annoying but entertaining at the same time :D:D

The thing about Manning vs Brady Threads is that their completely pointless. Your either a Manning guy, A brady guy (what is wrong with you people :D) or you quite frankly dont care and think both are as good as eash other. If your a Manning guy no amount of talk will convince you Brady is better and vice versa! Like trying to convince a Man United Fan that Chelsea are Better or a Liverpool fan that Arsenal are better, it just wont happen!

Clearly its this:
    bradyManningBrady.jpg

It must do a lot more than take the shít out of your jersey, it takes away 2 Superbowl rings aswell! ;):pac:

Clearly its this:
    bradyManningBrady.jpg

FYP :D

ManningBrady.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It must do a lot more than take the shít out of your jersey, it takes away 2 Superbowl rings aswell! ;):pac:

BURN!!!

Virtual High 5 for Archimedes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I can't do it guys. 2 more months to wait. It's taking so long :(

You can amuse yourself watching Ochocincos new show on VH1 :D

What's the TV schedule like over here? Is it the same as last year?

Poor old Johnny Jolly suspended for the season. I really refuse to believe someone with such a merry childrens entertainer name has a drug problem...unless he's addicted to twizzlers and hersheys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I watch the videos on the NFL site most mornings, they load it overnight or at least realy late.

Just sharing this, if you've not seen it already.
    Josh Cribbs, return man extraordinaire
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/09000d5d8191ec0d/Return-man-extraordinaire

Ah, you've probably seen it before my link, thought it was cleverly done.
    NFL are great for these skits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Poor old Johnny Jolly suspended for the season. I really refuse to believe someone with such a merry childrens entertainer name has a drug problem...unless he's addicted to twizzlers and hersheys.

Just read that, that's a big blow for us. He had a good year last season. Still, a year is much more appropriate than usual 4 game bs.
    He could face 20 years in prison if convicted so has bigger issues to face.

• Advertisement

Here is an absolutely fantastic season preview for the Jets from Football Outsider.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/files/downloads/FOA%202010%20Sample%20-%20NYJ.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's in a world a of hurt if this turns out to be true.

Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that court records indicate an intention by prosecutors to attempt to prove at trial that Johnny "bought, sold, funded, transported and aided in the buying, selling, funding and transportation of illegal narcotics including cocaine and marijuana" from 2006 through May 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/02/court-documents-make-strong-allegations-against-johnny-jolly/

I've been making a lot of these colour selection pictures lately, but never got round to doing an AF one. As soon as I saw this photo though, I just had to! Would love to get them printed on canvas for my wall.

ifsygj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

That's class Archimedes. Photoshop or something else?

That's class Archimedes. Photoshop or something else?

A program called PhotoImpression. I never did get around to mastering Photoshop :o

A program called PhotoImpression. I never did get around to mastering Photoshop :o

To be honest I know how to use Photoshop and can create the image above but I have been known to take the easy approach with programs like PhotoImpression :D:D

Great read. Been following Herzlich's story for a while now. Truly inspirational.
    herzlich420.jpg

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Each night when Mark Herzlich's head hit his pillow, he prayed he would make it through the entire night. All too often, Herzlich would awaken in the middle of the night to the sound of his own blood-curdling screams.

The screams -- the result of an unknown throbbing pain in his left leg -- occurred so often that Herzlich's roommate at Boston College eventually moved to another room so he could get some sleep.

Several months later, on May 12, 2009, doctors finally discovered the cause of Herzlich's pain. His screams were caused by a nightmare -- the ultimate real-life nightmare. Less than four months before Herzlich's 22nd birthday, doctors told him he had cancer.

Ewing's Sarcoma is one of the rarest forms of cancer. It's a malignant tumor usually found in the bone or soft tissue. Herzlich's nightmare was located deep inside his left femur.

Once this cancer enters the blood stream, the survival rate is estimated at only 10 percent. If the cancer hasn't reached the blood stream, the survival rate increases. But those words meant little when Herzlich learned he had Ewing's Sarcoma.

The doctors told Herzlich -- the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year -- his football career was over. If he was lucky, though, he might be able to jog again. But that was only if he was able to survive the chemotherapy treatments.

When he got home, Herzlich went upstairs to his bedroom and collapsed on his bed. For two hours, Herzlich's mind raced as he started thinking about his life. Or what was left of it.

"The biggest thing for me was what other option do I have?" Herzlich told FanHouse earlier this summer. "Cancer was going to beat me or I was going to beat it. I had a goal I wanted to reach and this made the drive even stronger."

Make no mistake, the drive is very much alive. And so is Herzlich.

On Sunday at the Grandover Resort in Greensboro, N.C. Herzlich will be one of 24 players attending the ACC's Football Kickoff. A senior linebacker, Herzlich will be a media magnet with his charismatic personality, good looks and his inspirational storyline. During the upcoming season, Herzlich's incredible story will be told over and over and over again.

It goes something like this: By the time Herzlich was two years old, he wanted to be a firefighter. As a child, he even wrote down what he wanted to do when he grew up on a 3-by-5 inch note card. "Being a firefighter didn't happen," Herzlich said. "But when I got older I wanted to play football."

As a freshman at Conestoga High in Berwyn, Pa., Herzlich admitted he was "a little slow and a little fat." He didn't make the varsity team, but still played on the freshman squad. His life took a change near the end of his freshman season when Herzlich's mother told him his father wanted to talk to him in his father's upstairs office.

"Dad and I had a great relationship, but I thought this was pretty serious," Herzlich said. "I was nervous walking up the steps."

Sandy Herzlich had a question for his son.

"Mark? Are you having fun?" Herzlich's father asked. "I've seen you do everything since you were little and you usually have passion and love and respect and that's not how you're playing the game."

Mark realized father knew best. "He was right," Mark said. "From then on, I decided I wasn't going to half-ass it or go through the motions. I wanted to play high school football, college and then in the pros. I decided I'm going to be the best at whatever I do and not let anything stand in my way.

"That was my dream. So from that day I moved on and moved forward."

The next game was the final one of Herzlich's freshman season. Conestoga High avoided a winless season with a rare victory as Herzlich had 10 tackles.

A few years later, Herzlich earned a scholarship to Boston College and capped his junior season by being named the ACC's top defensive player in 2008. That December after the season is when he first felt the pain in his leg. The pain got increasingly worse, but Herzlich played through it during BC's 2009 spring drills.

All the while, the doctors could not determine the cause of the pain, which made it even more frustrating.

"This was a very low point in my life," Herzlich said.

Then came the stunning news that Herzlich had cancer. After spending two hours in his bedroom, Herzlich went downstairs to tell his parents what he had in store for cancer.

"My dad saw that look in my eye," Herzlich said.

It was the same look Herzlich had after receiving his father's pep talk as a high school freshman.

"My dad knew I was going to get through it," Herzlich said. "It wasn't easy."

More than a year later -- a time frame that included eight months of chemo, 50 sessions of radiation, surgery on his left leg where doctors drilled out the center of his femur and inserted a 12-inch titanium rod -- Herzlich won his ultimate battle. He beat cancer.

Fast forward to May, 2010, and Dick Vitale is standing inside a packed ballroom at the Ritz-Carlton Sarasota. Hundreds of individuals have paid $1,000 a plate to attend Vitale's Gala, which will raise $1 million for the Jimmy V Foundation and Cancer Research.

It's an extremely emotional night for Vitale, especially when asked about Herzlich. "Just look at him smiling," Vitale said.

Vitale's Gala guest list that night is a who's who of celebrities from the sporting world. Included are a coach who hoisted the Super Bowl trophy and multiple coaches who have won college basketball's national championship along with other dignitaries.

None has the impact on Vitale that Herzlich does.

"He was told he could never play football again, but he was always smiling and energetic," Vitale said. "I told him you don't realize the inspiration ... how you're inspiring so many people, really the effect he has. There's no greater gift, I think, than affecting generation to generation.

"I told him you don't realize the inspiration ... how you're inspiring so many people, really the effect he has. There's no greater gift, I think, than affecting generation to generation."
    -- Dick Vitale on Mark Herzlich "Look at Mark. He's 6-4, 240 pounds, but this disease brings you to your knees. It doesn't care how big you are. It doesn't care what color you are or what religion."

On Nov. 3, 2009, Herzlich underwent his final chemo treatment. A few weeks later, the 12-inch titanium rod was inserted in his leg. During the Eagles' spring practice, he was limited and held out of any contact drills. But there's no doubt he will be ready for Boston College's season opener.

"Mark said they can diagnose me with cancer, but you can't diagnose my heart and I'm going to play again," Vitale said.

In the season opener against Weber State, Herzlich will wear his trademark inverted pyramid eye black painted under each eye -- until the tears wash it away.

Four years ago, Herzlich never could have imagined a game against tiny FCS member Weber State as the most important of his life.

"For me, I look more forward to playing them than anyone I've ever played," Herzlich said minutes after finishing his speech at Vitale's Gala that drew a rousing standing ovation. "It will be incredible. Once I cross the white line, it will be all business."

Vitale knows otherwise.

"There won't be a dry eye at Boston College that day," Vitale said. "So many people are going to go home after the game and tell their kids: 'Did you see that kid, No. 94? He had cancer. They told him he wasn't going to make it. But he did.'

"What a tribute that is."

Vitale then points out that Boston College's season opener against Weber State is on Sept. 4 -- the ninth month and fourth day. Or 9/4. The same number as Herzlich's No. 94 jersey.

"How ironic is that?" Vitale said.

Ironic, yes. And also inspirational.

Just looking at the TV schedule. If someone picks up SNF (NFLUK are in talks with other broadcasters following Five's decision to drop it from their schedule), there'll be a total of 5 definite Pats games on TV.

04th Oct @MIA
    14th Nov @PIT
    25th Nov @DET
    06th Dec NYJ
    19th Dec GB

And that's only the definite ones. There's a chance another game or two of the early games on Sundays could be shown (like @NYJ on Sep 19th). Delighted that ESPN have MNF this year. If someone picks up SNF, we'll be spoilt in comparison to last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

hello forum!

i've just discovered this place, and the game only last season, i've been using tenyardtorrents so far, but where can i find other places to watch the games? it would be nice to see a few live instead of hiding under my blanket until a torrent is upped for fear of seeing the score!

i have sky but are the games on an extra paid channel or do the regular sports channels show any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Adam wrote: »
    hello forum!

i've just discovered this place, and the game only last season, i've been using tenyardtorrents so far, but where can i find other places to watch the games? it would be nice to see a few live instead of hiding under my blanket until a torrent is upped for fear of seeing the score!

i have sky but are the games on an extra paid channel or do the regular sports channels show any?

Hello Adam!

Sky Sports have a review show once a week ( like a match of the day show ). They also show two live games a week, unfortunately both are generally on the same day. I think it's only two games a week.

Apart from that, on NFL.com you can pay to use their service, which will allow you to watch all games live, several at once. However it is a hefty fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement