Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Question. Why are the Rams favourites vs Vikes for tonights game?

I know, Favre isnt playing, Rams are att home, now have Sam Bradford and of course its Preseason... but surely the Vikings who got to the NFC championship game should be good enough to see off the Rams, even with their 2nd/3rd string???

Im new enough to the NFL so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Being perfectly honest betting on a Pre Season game is like betting on two flys crawling up a wall, its damn near impossible to predict what will happen when the 2nd string take on the 3rd string etc. Put it this way, the season the Lions went 0-16, they went 4-0 in preseason!

Your better off waiting until the real season starts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Put it this way, the season the Lions went 0-16, they went 4-0 in preseason!
    Good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

DDC1990 wrote: »
    forgive me if this is a stupid question.

No such thing :)

Betting on pre season games is for fools, I'd steer away.
    I'm not saying you were and you do have a good question

The Vikes have a lot of absentees, Favre, Harvin, John Sullivan the centre, Peterson, Cedric Griffen and EJ Hederson

But even if they were fit, they would only play for a quarter or so.

The Rams have a lot of players with great shots of earning roster spots, they'll be fighting for their careers.
    Yes, the Vikings should see off the Rams on paper but we aren't realy comparing starters with starters. The top starters won't be on the field for 60 minutes
    And a win for the Rams will do a lot to boost confidence in front of a home crowd.

I don't know who will win, I won't be betting on it but I could easily see the Rams doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Thanks guys. Didnt know the Lions went 4-0 their 0-16 season.
    Will steer clear. A great example last night was the Eagles vs Jaguars.

Eagles looked in the first 10minutes like they could blow the Jags away, with 2 easy field goals, and 2 3 and out series on D. I wake up in the morning to find they only won by a point. Funny game this NFL :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Any one see this? Glenn Coffee has quit the NFL to go back to school and be one with God. Round 3 pick in 2009 draft such a waste of talent he could have been decent. Had some very good runs last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/14/coffee-says-he-wont-reconsider-ive-told-christ-its-time-to-go/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saw it yesterday.

Tbh, fair play to him.

You have but one life and if he is willing to give up million dollar contracts to dedicate himself to his faith then good luck.

Saw it yesterday.

Tbh, fair play to him.

You have but one life and if he is willing to give up million dollar contracts to dedicate himself to his faith then good luck.

Well to be honest you can still dedicate yourself to your faith while working in a job. I understand the fact he want to finish his education but the be one with god bit is mad. Im all about finding ones faith and each to their own but unfortunately your faith wont pay your way through life and isnt a full time job. But hey that is another days debate on another thread.

The man wants to follow his dream.

His teammates all had the dream of playing in the NFL and got there.

Leave him follow his dream, if he wants to go back to school and be a preacher then anyone can respect that.
    Though of course he could have played a few years, and the millions could be donated to his parish. But his choice.

This sort of thing isn't unique, happened last Februrary

Did you read the piece at all? He even says he "shouldn't" have entered the draft.

To be honest I have no time for guys who waste other peoples time. It is clear from what he said he never actually wanted to play in the NFL but finish out school and follow his faith. So why enter the draft in the first place? Is it because he saw a way to make money to help fund his way?

It is like going for a job interview taking the job and then quitting. You have just taken up a spot for someone who would have committed longer and wanted it.

Oh and to add I never said it was unique that wasn't the intentions of me posting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Did you read the piece at all? He even says he "shouldn't" have entered the draft.

To be honest I have no time for guys who waste other peoples time. It is clear from what he said he never actually wanted to play in the NFL but finish out school and follow his faith. So why enter the draft in the first place? Is it because he saw a way to make money to help fund his way?

It is like going for a job interview taking the job and then quitting. You have just taken up a spot for someone who would have committed longer and wanted it.

Oh and to add I never said it was unique that wasn't the intentions of me posting it.

Bit harsh. As he said he found God at college while he was an excellent footballer. The pressure on him to stick it out and enter the nfl would have been huge, and extremely hard for any 20 year old to deal with. Even now, looking at peoples reaction to it and how everyone is basically looking at him as if he is some kind of idiot it's not hard he tried to stick it out even though he heart was never in it. Fair play to the kid for having the balls to step away from what would be considered a dream job and lifestyle for most people because he's not enjoying it.

Plenty of people take jobs, find out then don't actually like it and then quit. Looking at what coach Singletary has said I can't knock the kid at all.
    "I did not,'' Singletary said when asked if he tried to get Coffee to stick it out. "He was having a fine camp. The one thing I learned a long time ago is if someone wants to leaving and you try to bring him back and talk him out of it, chances are you're going to have to talk him out of it again.

"And that would be disrespectful to the guys out here. We have guys out here that really want to be here and I'm looking high and low to find those 53 that really love being here. And that's what the game's all about.''

Questions were first raised when Coffee was a no-show for practice Thursday afternoon. It's not clear how the absence fit into Coffee's decision to leave.

Asked to describe how Coffee seemed to him, Singletary said he knew the running back "felt bad.''

"His demeanor was, 'I really hate to do this. I really hate to lay this on you, coach. I love my teammates and I love what we're doing, but since college my heart hasn't been in it. In fact, I came out early because my heart wasn't in it,' '' Singletary said. "Knowing Glen Coffee, he really felt awful. I'm thinking that he was thinking I'd really be upset with him. And that was not the case.''

Bit harsh. As he said he found God at college while he was an excellent footballer. The pressure on him to stick it out and enter the nfl would have been huge, and extremely hard for any 20 year old to deal with. Even now, looking at peoples reaction to it and how everyone is basically looking at him as if he is some kind of idiot it's not hard he tried to stick it out even though he heart was never in it. Fair play to the kid for having the balls to step away from what would be considered a dream job and lifestyle for most people because he's not enjoying it.

Plenty of people take jobs, find out then don't actually like it and then quit. Looking at what coach Singletary has said I can't knock the kid at all.

Yes what I said is probably harsh but that is my opinion of him. I never said he was an idiot either. For me he should have grown balls back in college and decided not to enter the draft if that what was truly in his heart.

As for Coach Singletarys comments he really doesn't show us anymore than what we would have gotten from the article. And in fact he never gives his opinion on it either. He just said it is wrong to force someone to do something they don't want to do which to me is common sense.

Each to their own I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

This is really going to hurt Frank Gore's value in Fantasy, watch him tumble down the draft boards. Glad now I didn't draft him.

Also, spare a thought for the Rams, they were supposed to be first in line to sign Westbrook, but once he got a better team he was off. No-one wants to sign with them if they have any other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/23/tom-brady-on-hard-knocks-i-hate-the-jets-i-refuse-to-watch-the-show/

Tom Brady on Hard Knocks: "I hate the Jets. I refuse to watch the show."

Tom, you sir, are a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hazys wrote: »

Tom Brady on Hard Knocks: "I hate the Jets. I refuse to watch the show."

Tom, you sir, are a legend.

Jerk comment, IMO. :D

Thought I'd leave that hang there for a few mins and see if anyone bit :P

davyjose wrote: »
    Jerk comment, IMO.

Why? He is a Patriots player and most Pats players and Fans don't like the jets and share the same sentiment. If the Pats did Hard Knocks you can guarantee there would be a queue of players and coaches and fans lining up to have their say.

Edit: I say this in the nicest possible way. You are a wank3r just like your Colts and Manning. :D :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Jerk comment, IMO. :D

Thought I'd leave that hang there for a few mins and see if anyone bit :P
    Ref shuffles feet on sidelines and plays with her whistle ;)

Ref shuffles feet on sidelines and plays with her whistle ;)

Throw the god damn flag already!!!

Those Colts get away with eveything. :P

Why? He is a Patriots player and most Pats players and Fans don't like the jets and share the same sentiment. If the Pats did Hard Knocks you can guarantee there would be a queue of players and coaches and fans lining up to have their say.
    Brady's not a fan -- he's a professional. Anyway, it was a joke dude. I'm not a big fan of the Hard Knocks series myself -- it's a bit too "reality TV" for me, but it's no big deal. But, IMO, I don't think there was any real point in making that comment. Brady is above that, tbh.

Brady's not a fan -- he's a professional.

I never said he was a fan and you missed my Point. Let me quote what I said notice the bits in bold:
    He is a Patriots player and most Pats players and Fans don't like the jets and share the same sentiment

He is a Patriot through and through. His one and only team in the NFL is the Pats. I am sure he carries the same attitude as all die hard pats fans, players, coaches, admin etc etc "We hate the Jets" it is as simple as that. So what if he is not professional about it. Nothing wrong with saying he hates the Jets plenty of players have said publicly they hate teams so why shouldn't he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I never said he was a fan and you missed my Point. Let me quote what I said notice the bits in bold:

He is a Patriot through and through. His one and only team in the NFL is the Pats. I am sure he carries the same attitude as all die hard pats fans, players, coaches, admin etc etc "We hate the Jets" it is as simple as that. So what if he is not professional about it. Nothing wrong with saying he hates the Jets plenty of players have said publicly they hate teams so why shouldn't he.

I've no doubt he have no porblem suiting up for the Jets if it came to that so I think players should just keep quiet about "hating" a divisional rival.

... I think players should just keep quiet about "hating" a divisional rival.
    That's certainly grand sportsman-like-conduct and worth following (Blue bites her lip and tries not to shake her fist at across-town-rival UCLA Bruins).

I've no doubt he have no time suiting up for the Jets if it came to that so I think players should just keep quiet about "hating" a divisional rival.

I doubt the Jets will turn him down over what he said if he ever becomes available to them. Lets be realistic Brady's comments were probably said because he is playing up to Pats fans. Does he really hate the Jets who knows? But right now he is a Pats player and his persona is to hate the Patriots biggest rivals. It would be sad if a team said no to a quality player because of something he said a few years back. He isn't the first and wont be the last player to publicly hate a rival.

I doubt the Jets will turn him down over what he said if he ever becomes available to them. Lets be realistic Brady's comments were probably said because he is playing up to Pats fans. Does he really hate the Jets who knows? But right now he is a Pats player and his persona is to hate the Patriots biggest rivals. It would be sad if a team said no to a quality player because of something he said a few years back. He isn't the first and wont be the last player to publicly hate a rival.

See Jason Taylor, here are just some of the comments he has said against the Jets and their fans and these comments are only from last year:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-04-09/sports/sfl-jason-taylor-rips-jets-fans-10_1_fireman-ed-jets-fans-meadowlands-stadium

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/04/jason_taylor_meets_with_the_je.php

• Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brady gets dogs abuse every year from the Jets fans and they are the most foul mouthed fans in all of football. I'm sure they have said horrible things about him, his family, his wife. It would not be a surprise if he actually does hate them. As you say he might be playing up to the fans, he certainly did to me because I loved it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sparkee

Brady is a hero! He's setting down a great pre-season game on Sept 19th with the Jets. There's nothing wrong with a bit of hatred in any sport. It helps focus a player. Rex Ryan will rise to the occasion as usual but will sadly walk out of meadowlands hanging his head. Sanchez is a good up and coming QB but can't even stand in Brady's shadow.

As i said (third time now) it was a joke!

Edit: I've learned it's probably best if I don't comment on Brady here -- unless necessary :D

Peter King on SI.com asking for Warner to unretire. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/24/mailbag/index.html
    Call Kurt.

I know Kurt Warner has said he's retired, and he's never given one iota of a hint that he'd reconsider. But if I'm Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, and I've just watched the horror show at quarterback that I watched last night, I've got to at least call Warner today and ask if there's any way he'd reconsider his decision.

Leinart looked uneasy against Tennessee in his three series with the first unit; he showed little confidence. His backup, Derek Anderson, threw two awful passes into the end zone in the red zone, and anyone who has watched Anderson in recent years has to question his accuracy.

Warner twice last night tried to throw cold water via Twitter on any chance he'd play again. "OK, y'all... I am watching game... I am not coming back... and I would still appreciate your help! LOL, sorry guys, u know def of 'retire'?'' Meaning, "Do you guys know the definition of 'retire?' '' I'd still make the call if I were Whisenhunt.
    So let me get this straight ... after three years of abusing veteran QB's for unretiring, the media are now actively encouraging it?

:rolleyes:x1,000,000

As i said (third time now) it was a joke!

Edit: I've learned it's probably best if I don't comment on Brady here -- unless necessary :D

The piece of mine you quoted was in response to this:
    Brady's not a fan -- he's a professional. Anyway, it was a joke dude. I'm not a big fan of the Hard Knocks series myself -- it's a bit too "reality TV" for me, but it's no big deal. But, IMO, I don't think there was any real point in making that comment. Brady is above that, tbh.

Which to be fair doesn't come off as a joke but an actual serious response. Next time use a smiley to emphasise the joke. That first line to me doesn't read joke.

• Advertisement

The piece of mine you quoted was in response to this:

Which to be fair doesn't come off as a joke but an actual serious response. Next time use a smiley to emphasise the joke. That first line to me doesn't read joke.

Yeah but the joke was in response to Brady's comment. The bit you've put in bold was in response to your comment.

I've used a smiley twice already. It would seem neither of them worked -- because you're still chasing me up on this.

I suppose I do think it was a strange comment to make from a potentially GOAT QB. But I'm trying to stay away from talking too much about Brady, after some of the doozie discussions we've had on here. :pac:

My first comment was a joke. I realised when i saw it, it looked nothing like a joke (what you quoted initially), so I edited. I honestly wouldn't open a genuine debate with the adjective "jerk". You got there before I could clarify, I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement