Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A massive 13/41

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Ravens fired offensive line coach John Matsko on Wednesday, two league sources said.

Matsko coached the offensive line for the past three seasons. The offensive line struggled this season, one of the reasons why the Ravens dropped to No. 14 in the NFL in rushing.

The Ravens are expected to promote Andy Moeller, who was the assistant offensive line coach.

According to the source, Matsko is interviewing with the Carolina Panthers on Thursday.

Did someone say fall guy? This guy is clearly the scapegoat. The loss of LT Jared Gaither was a big loss and the entire line had to be rejigged. Michael Oher did a fine job at RT tackle last years but you won't find many Ravens fans impressed with him this year, blind side indeed.

Onto the wacky side, Andy Moeller, clocked up his third DUI conviction in September. I think my boss would sack me if I had that record
    But then it's different in sports, where a head coach can strike one of his assistants over in Oakland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Does that mean Cameron stays?

lol if true

Yes, Cam Cameron is staying :(

The wrong person got fired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paul16 wrote: »
    QB quiz,8 mins to name the QB's with the most career victories

http://www.sporcle.com/games/nflqbvictories_leaders.php

21 :D

Got the top 10 too!

EDIT: Bad start to the offseason for the Ravens, losing Matsko and Mattison but keeping Cameron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Drew Brees has definitely got more than 72 wins. Just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

davyjose wrote: »

I was sure of that too.

I got 18, would have got 19, if i could spell Vinny Testaverde (now i can spell it ffs)

Do you read your teams forum?
    I read a few, mainly the Ravens but I've a soft spot for the Texans and 49'ers.

Unlike here, they are very reactionary, sack everyone after a loss, or the Superbowl is in the bag after a win. Hell you could go 16-0 and then win the Lombardi and there would still be calls for mass sackings

Ravens owner had his end of season press conference and did a bit of reading.
    I don't remember a owner taking the time to read fans forums before and commenting on it:
    * “Re-sign Ngata, [Marc] Bulger, [Josh] Wilson, [Sam] Koch, [Billy] Cundiff, [Le’Ron] McClain, [Marshal] Yanda, [Chris] Carr and T.J. [Houshmandzadeh]
    * Change the offense
    * Sign or draft a big left tackle and fast wide receivers
    * Add a big shutdown corner and a dominant edge rusher
    * Get faster players
    * Get smarter players
    * Get more veterans, but get younger :confused:
    * Fire Ozzie (the GM) :eek:, Cam (the OC), [Greg] Mattison (the DC) and Flacco
    * Don’t be a tool, Bisciotti, or ‘Bis-cot-ee,’ as they said
    * Get a deal done with the union
    * And finally, don’t be a mettlesome owner (laughter)

This is why fans don't run teams.
    I love his summary
    “I promise you we’ll get as many of those things done in the offseason as we can.”
    :pac:

Do you read your teams forum?
    I read a few, mainly the Ravens but I've a soft spot for the Texans and 49'ers.

Unlike here, they are very reactionary, sack everyone after a loss, or the Superbowl is in the bag after a win. Hell you could go 16-0 and then win the Lombardi and there would still be calls for mass sackings

Ravens owner had his end of season press conference and did a bit of reading.
    I don't remember a owner taking the time to read fans forums before and commenting on it:

This is why fans don't run teams.
    I love his summary
    :pac:

I post on the broncos forums quite a bit, Good forums and a great smack section but it's very reactionary there given the season we had, about half the threads there are either unfairly railing on orton and blaming him for everything or pining for cutler and repeatedly pointing out that, and i quote "our franchise QB is in the conference game". If the bears get to or win the SB the place will go into meltdown

The other half of the threads there are normal intelligent discussion though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Regarding the teams forum i dont post on the Bengals forum or follow it that much. Reading arguments about whether we are the worst sports franchise of all time is too depressing:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

deisedude wrote: »
    Regarding the teams forum i dont post on the Bengals forum or follow it that much. Reading arguments about whether we are the worst sports franchise of all time is too depressing:(

There's an arguement?!?! :D

Post on igglephans a wee bit. Not as much as i used to as even cynical me can get quite jaded with some of their ****e.

t was one week ago that the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Baltimore Ravens 31-24 in the AFC Divisional Playoffs.

This weekend, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is paying off a wager she made with Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravensthal.

Since the Ravens lost, Rawlings-Blake appears on camera wearing a "Number 86" black and gold jersey of Steelers' wide receiver Hines Ward.

In the video the mayor says that she is, "contractually obligated to record this YouTube video wearing this gold-and-black clothing. This past weekend, the Pittsburgh Steelers were the superior football team." (That last statement was required as part of the bargain.)

Fair play to the mayor, didn't welch on the bet

Does this happen elsewhere? Like do the mayor of Boston and New York or any other rivalries place bets?

There's a bit at the end, left on the cutting room floor ;)

Fair play to the mayor, didn't welch on the bet

Does this happen elsewhere? Like do the mayor of Boston and New York or any other rivalries place bets?

There's a bit at the end, left on the cutting room floor ;)

Would have been funnier the other way --Pittsburgh's Mayor Ravenstahl wearing a Baltimore Jersey :pac:

Roethlisberger too. Again ... Just sayin

From twitter, Cutlers jersey getting burned after the game
    These people aren't fans at all! And if Cutler leads them to the playoffs again next year no doubt they'll be cheering him on

229830185.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1295856879&Signature=iwhiVi0NXpsvF3D3okhYd9BCkCs%3D

The last time I saw this was JaMarcus Russell

He's getting killed by his fellow pros on twitter
    * Maurice Jones-Drew: “All I’m saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee… I played the whole season on one.”

* Former NFL lineman and current ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth wrote, “As a guy how had 20 knee surgeries you’d have to drag me out on a stretcher to Leave a championship game!”

* Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett wrote, “If I’m on chicago team jay cutler has to wait till me and the team shower get dressed and leave before he comes in the locker room!”

* Deion Sanders wrote, “Im telling u in the playoffs u must drag me off the field. All the medicine in pro lockerooms this dude comes out! I apologize bear fans! . . . Folks i never question a players injury but i do question a players heart.

* Oakland’s Bruce Gradkowski: “Is cutler still ur starter next year? Did the players give up on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Hard to argue with them. When you see what Stafford did when he wrecked his arm, what TO did when he came back from a broken leg to basically play in the superbowl on one. Then you look at Cutler and it was obvious before he left the field that he didn't want to be there.

Thats what happens when losing becomes acceptable. I feel for the bears fans. They have a qb with massive talent but that was the real Jay Cutler out there yesterday. Shame he didn't go to a winning college program. He could have been a great one imo.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Hard to argue with them. When you see what Stafford did when he wrecked his arm, what TO did when he came back from a broken leg to basically play in the superbowl on one. Then you look at Cutler and it was obvious before he left the field that he didn't want to be there.

Thats what happens when losing becomes acceptable. I feel for the bears fans. They have a qb with massive talent but that was the real Jay Cutler out there yesterday. Shame he didn't go to a winning college program. He could have been a great one imo.

I agree, i remember his days in Denver where he would pout and get all pissy when things didnt go well for him, it even led to an embarrassing feud between him and rivers at one stage.

Last night showed that he still has this fundamental problem in his attitude tbh, to just meekly sit without a dissenting murmur on the sideline with headphones in and a scowl on your face while your team plays one of the most important games in it's history at home to it's biggest rivals, is hard to comprehend

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭spillit67

Stafford has come out of numerous other games. Cutler has stayed all games bar one for the Bears whilst getting the crap beaten out of him more than even Matt Stafford was for the Lions.

Cutler was injured, a grade 2 tear, I will argue with them. Cutler was helping Hanie and trying to keep him level, another accusation thrown at him.

What QB looks happy when thing don't go their way? Brady. Nope. Manning neither. Cutler was no different than he ever is out there. He never comes out and bitches about his offensive linemen getting killed. It was interesting that so many of his teammates came out to bat for him. It is obvious he holds respect there with them for one his toughness and two for never bitching when the likes of Harris and Hanie he could well have with that line.

As for Maurice Jones Drew. I think he came out really badly. He tried to make it out as he was 'joking', a standard reply when one is caught out. Looking at his twitter he was quite clearly in that mindset all day until his agent told him to come out with damage limitation. He didn't even apologise to his fellow player. I thought personally it was uncalled for and has unfortunately changed my opinion of my favourite back in the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

If cutler ran on his Torn MCL he could do damage that could end his career.
    It was the coaches and team doctors decision anyway. "Tough guys" who play through the pain end up doing more damage. Cutler was thinking ahead incase the bears won that he could have a chance to play in the superbowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

The craziness continues in Cincy. First Mike Brown decided to keep on Marvin Lewis despite his pretty horrific record.

Now Lewis and Ochocinco are trading insults in the media.

Carson Palmer wants out now and i cant say i blame him. That said the way he was playing last year he wont be too much of a loss. His best years are definately behind him

If Carson Palmer wants a new career with another team it's up to him to play better.
    Can't see much interest in a trade for him

Bit of a wacky story alright
    A suburban Chicago car salesman's tribute to his recently deceased grandmother, who was a Green Bay Packers fan, ended up costing him his job Monday, the Chicago Tribune reported.

John Stone decided to wear a Packers tie to his job at Webb Chevrolet in Oak Lawn, Ill., one day after the Bears lost in the NFC Championship Game to their NFC North rivals.

"I didn’t know you could get fired for wearing a tie," said Stone, 34. "I’m supposed to dress up. I’m a car salesman."

Stone said that upon his arrival, dealership general manager Jerry Roberts called Stone into his office and ordered him to take off the tie or be fired. Stone told the Tribune that he thought Roberts was kidding and went back to work. An hour later, Roberts repeated his demand on the showroom floor. When Stone didn't remove the tie, he said he was fired on the spot without being given a chance to explain the emotional significance of the tie.

"I don’t know why he did it, I really don’t," Stone said. "That’s hurtful. I thought I was a good salesman."

Roberts confirmed the firing to WGN-TV, adding that the dealership had a promotional tie-in with the Bears.

On Tuesday, Stone said on the Dan Patrick Show that if he had to do it all over, he would not have worn tie.

Stone, a father of two, wasn't unemployed for long, however. On Tuesday, another Chicago-area Chevrolet dealership hired him.

They must have little or no employment laws in the States

I'll think twice before slagging my boss during the GAA championships next summer :eek:

spillit67 wrote: »
    Stafford has come out of numerous other games. Cutler has stayed all games bar one for the Bears whilst getting the crap beaten out of him more than even Matt Stafford was for the Lions.

Cutler was injured, a grade 2 tear, I will argue with them. Cutler was helping Hanie and trying to keep him level, another accusation thrown at him.

What QB looks happy when thing don't go their way? Brady. Nope. Manning neither. Cutler was no different than he ever is out there. He never comes out and bitches about his offensive linemen getting killed. It was interesting that so many of his teammates came out to bat for him. It is obvious he holds respect there with them for one his toughness and two for never bitching when the likes of Harris and Hanie he could well have with that line.

As for Maurice Jones Drew. I think he came out really badly. He tried to make it out as he was 'joking', a standard reply when one is caught out. Looking at his twitter he was quite clearly in that mindset all day until his agent told him to come out with damage limitation. He didn't even apologise to his fellow player. I thought personally it was uncalled for and has unfortunately changed my opinion of my favourite back in the league.

Man, cutler has taken massive abuse over the last 2 seasons and never once complained. Has another QB taken more sacks in that time? I doubt it.

Turns out the guy has a torn ligament and was right to come out. some of the comments by fellow players were just classless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Man, cutler has taken massive abuse over the last 2 seasons and never once complained. Has another QB taken more sacks in that time? I doubt it.

Turns out the guy has a torn ligament and was right to come out. some of the comments by fellow players were just classless.

Well said DavyJ ....the medical team in Soldier Field made the decision ...end of story ...as Brees alluded to ...a tear like that can be a 2 week problem or 6 weeks so it can mean you can struggle through it or not allow you to plant your foot at all ...if Cutler had hit the showers it would have saved some of the furore but his i dont care what the dtractors think now leaves a lot of people now looking red-faced as for Twitter ...stop reading that rubbish ...if Schefter/Florio etc have a scoop fair enough but when Deoin Sanders/Dockett/Ocho etc cry out for recognition ...why feed the beast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

are you living in a glass bubble untouched by reality .....Stafford has played in 13 games in 2 seasons and missed 19 games all at $30m dollars guaranteed, Cutler played in 16 of 17 regular season games and this includes a game with 9 sacks at the Giants in 1 half ...as hindsight has now shown lauding Stafford and criticising Cutler has been an embarassing folly for all concerned

But let me tell you something that you CAN take to the bank if Stafford misses say 7-10 games next season there is a nasty escalator in most QB contracts on the 3-4 week of the new season (usually March 20-31st 2012) guaranteeing a multi-million sum if Stafford is still on the roster , it could be $4-5m and that will hove into view if he misses a chunk of games and you wont need to compare starting QBs Cutler & Stafford cos only one will be starting and it wont be Stafford .

You will be comparing the names Stafford & Leinart

CNN published a survey on which cities were most depressed about their team
    Before I even saw the list I knew Philadelphia would be there, no team has more angry fans!
    If they won the Superbowl they'd still be complaining. Nothing wrong with criticism, sometimes it gets classless though
    Here's the full list:

1. Philadelphia
    2. Atlanta
    3. Cincinnati
    4. Houston
    5. San Diego
    6. Detroit
    7. Jacksonville
    8. Cleveland
    9. Charlotte
    10. Seattle
    11. Phoenix
    12. Buffalo
    13. Nashville
    14. Minneapolis

I'm suprised Buffalo isn't higher. Imagine reaching four superbowls and losing them all.

I'm suprised at Atlanta
    I am not suprised at San Diego, they get threatened with blackouts for not selling out their stadium often. And it's not like they are a poor team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Chad Johnson has officially changed his name back to Chad Johnson.

Praise Jeebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

#1 pick, what you think?
    Reckon it's between him Fairley and Patrick Peterson for the #1 Pick.

He's very Moss/Megatron esque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aABY_tEmewg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fisher confirmed as gone from the Titans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement