Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Taylor Swift song Christmas Tree Farm is really growing on me! Could become a classic in a few years. Nostalgia dialled up to 11.

This is still a great shout. Been loving listening to it all season.

Shout out for other new Christmas music which holds up over the years Sia - Santa’s coming for us, John Legend - Bring me love and Robbie Williams new Christmas album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Loughc wrote: »

Shout out for other new Christmas music which holds up over the years Sia - Santa’s coming for us, John Legend - Bring me love and Robbie Williams new Christmas album.

Yep agree with all of those! It's good to see some newer Christmas songs that will last a few years.

On the other hand, I never want to hear that Hudson Taylor song again. An awful pitiful whine of a thing that managed to ruin the Christmas from Kilkenny Castle programme for me. It was overplayed far too much. Just because it's homegrown doesn't mean it needs to be played to death.

Overall though, I enjoyed Christmas FM this year. Didn't hear it as much as previous years because I didn't spend as much time in the car but the kids loved playing it at home and they both had their favourites. The older one adored Christmas Tree Farm and would shriek with delight whenever she heard it while the younger one loved I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas :D

Not enough Jonah Lewie or Bowie/Crosby for my liking but the station caters for all listeners, not just ageing farts like me. The texts are the best though. Had a few read out and the kids thought it was the best thing ever. It really is the little things...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not just your kids. I almost caused a car crash when I heard mine read out on air. I’ve heard 2 read out this year. 2 more than any other year.

I got to listen to way more ChristmasFM this season because of Alexa. Prior to getting an Alexa our radio was a bit crackily. With Alexa we got to have ChristmasFM on in the mornings getting ready and while making dinner and tidying so a good bit.

It also guided us on 2 trips to Tipp in December.

The most amazing things about ChristmasFM are the amazing work they do for all the charities and they fact it really feels like a unique Christmas tradition that both young and old near and far. When listening to it live you really get the feeling of community and like something really special is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Kylie "Christmas isn't Christmas till you get here" worth a shout too Loughc ;):)

jr86 wrote: »
    Kylie "Christmas isn't Christmas till you get here" worth a shout too Loughc ;):)

Yes great shout. Need to add it to my playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not just your kids. I almost caused a car crash when I heard mine read out on air. I’ve heard 2 read out this year. 2 more than any other year.

I got to listen to way more ChristmasFM this season because of Alexa. Prior to getting an Alexa our radio was a bit crackily. With Alexa we got to have ChristmasFM on in the mornings getting ready and while making dinner and tidying so a good bit.

It also guided us on 2 trips to Tipp in December.

The most amazing things about ChristmasFM are the amazing work they do for all the charities and they fact it really feels like a unique Christmas tradition that both young and old near and far. When listening to it live you really get the feeling of community and like something really special is happening.

Yeah the community thing is definitely something that reverberates with me. I collected my mother on Christmas Day to bring her over to our house and sent a text saying hi to the kids etc and it was read out.
    Next thing my brother in Holland whatsapped me saying he heard the message. I didn't even think he listened to the station but that one WhatsApp really made my day! It made the world seem a smaller place for a few magical moments

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yeah the community thing is definitely something that reverberates with me. I collected my mother on Christmas Day to bring her over to our house and sent a text saying hi to the kids etc and it was read out.
    Next thing my brother in Holland whatsapped me saying he heard the message. I didn't even think he listened to the station but that one WhatsApp really made my day! It made the world seem a smaller place for a few magical moments

That’s just lovely.

I love hearing the texts and what others are doing. It’s lovely to hear others Christmas plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Sent in a request but never heard it, others did, so didnt have the Christmas fm fix.

I still remember about 2010-11 driving back from work from the middle of the desert in another country with an Irish colleague. We were in a remote location and 3g was on and off. Christmas fm new to both of us. We were not close pals and work was fracious however I banged in a request whilst he was driving and it got called out. We then sang along with 2 hours of Christmas music. Might have been 2011 as I don't think I got home that year.

An absolutely fascinating watch/listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Listen to a lot more Christmas FM this year then previously. I really liked the 'Big Yawn' at 7.30am every morning as me and Elf1 would be in the car on our own, as dropping her to breakfast club. We use to do a big yawn together. It was great that there was three presenters on so lots of chat and banter, not just one person talking on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ditto, we loved the Christmas cheer at 8.30/8.40am. There were a few days where the eldest made us wait in the car park of the creche until it came on - other parents must have thought we were mad. Was like that scene from Only Fools and Horses when they become millionaires! :D

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Ditto, we loved the Christmas cheer at 8.30/8.40am. There were a few days where the eldest made us wait in the car park of the creche until it came on - other parents must have thought we were mad. Was like that scene from Only Fools and Horses when they become millionaires! :D

Thanks CL, this is the kind of feel good things I need to hear this morning :)

CheerLouth wrote: »

LOVE it!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Interestingly I enjoyed Christmas FM more when it went to the digital only service. I'm not sure of the exact timeline but it seemed to be better around new year. More diversity of the songs, less chat, maybe there were no DJs. Not sure. Got to eventually hear The Waitresses 'Christmas Wrapping' & Tom Pettys 'Christmas All Over Again'.

Also delighted that I totally missed the terrible 'Christmas Shoes' abomination.

Ditto managed to miss Christmas shoes any time it was on, but also need to request Christmas Wrapping more this year.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ditto managed to miss Christmas shoes any time it was on, but also need to request Christmas Wrapping more this year.

I didn't avoid the Christmas Shoes fiasco... I was cleaning the house with ChristmasFM playing on the Echo and it started playing I let a roar out at Alexa to stop.

It's just too depressing to be a Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I didn't avoid the Christmas Shoes fiasco... I was cleaning the house with ChristmasFM playing on the Echo and it started playing I let a roar out at Alexa to stop.

Still never heard more than about 30-40 seconds of it, having read about it on here a few years back I looked it up on YouTube, to this day I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did listening to it. Utter garbage, and that's saying something when you take into account the amount of poor/bad Christmas themed songs.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Still never heard more than about 30-40 seconds of it, having read about it on here a few years back I looked it up on YouTube, to this day I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did listening to it. Utter garbage, and that's saying something when you take into account the amount of poor/bad Christmas themed songs.

Am kinda intrigued to look it up however maybe its best I don't!!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Am kinda intrigued to look it up however maybe its best I don't!!

Oddly I still think it's something everyone needs to experience at least once, so I say youtube that bad boy :P

Oddly I still think it's something everyone needs to experience at least once, so I say youtube that bad boy :P

Ok boss however I'm holding you responsible for any side effects :D

• Advertisement

Ok boss however I'm holding you responsible for any side effects :D

I'm still receiving counciling for PTSD after less than a minutes viewibg/listening so beware!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Okay, I have heard Christmas Shoes over the years on Christmas FM. I heard it a couple of time in its most recent run. I have to say that I do not mind it all.

I'm obviously in a minority.

^^Nice try using a different log in Christmas FM>

Okay, I have heard Christmas Shoes over the years on Christmas FM. I heard it a couple of time in its most recent run. I have to say that I do not mind it all.

I'm obviously in a minority.

I do understand how people don't mind it, it's emotional and can certainly make one reflect. It's not for me but I understand it's marmite.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

With Christmas Shoes it's not even really a song, it's more a really saccharine tear-jerk story. It's actually worse than "Text me christmas", which is obviously saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I do understand how people don't mind it, it's emotional and can certainly make one reflect. It's not for me but I understand it's marmite.

I don't mind hearing it once or twice over the Christmas period but I definitely don't think it is requested nearly as often as they play it on Christmas FM. I think they just chuck it on because it gets people talking and the more people talk about the radio station, the more likely people are to listen to it which means more donations. Makes sense really.

DvB wrote: »

This.

That's 2 minutes (as long as I could last!) of my life I wouldn't get back....the comments where the final straw, way too depressing.......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My boyfriend had never heard Christmas Shoes, so when it came on Christmas FM while we were in the car I made him listen to the whole thing. I'd told him before it was a terrible song but even so he couldn't believe how awful it is, we laughed through the whole thing :D

This.

That's 2 minutes (as long as I could last!) of my life I wouldn't get back....the comments where the final straw, way too depressing.......

Its the pinnacle of cr*p Christmas tunes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

dubstepper wrote: »
    With Christmas Shoes it's not even really a song, it's more a really saccharine tear-jerk story. It's actually worse than "Text me christmas", which is obviously saying something.
    I couldn't believe it when I heard that Text me Merry Christmas was Straight no Chaser. What happened to them?!!

Advertisement