Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bought the RTE guide and some mince pies at the shops and head for home in the car.
    Turned on the engine.
    Christmas FM kicks in with Driving Home for Christmas.

Get home and put on Christmas FM as I pick out my christmas tv viewing in the guide.

Its all coming together nicely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

They’ve redeemed themselves- just played “Baby it’s cold outside” :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Cork Lass wrote: »
    They’ve redeemed themselves- just played “Baby it’s cold outside” :)

:)

Also @LoughC I heard Peter Kay yesterday too! :D

Great weekend put down !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jr86 wrote: »
    :)

Also @LoughC I heard Peter Kay yesterday too! :D

Great weekend put down !!

All is right with the world again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Is it only me or are other people getting tired of Christmas FM?

I'm not sure if I have overdosed the last few years, or it's the case that after a couple of weeks of it I'm done, but I find I can't listen to it as much. I find it odd as I really enjoyed it the first few years.

*runs for cover*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

The first 4 words of your opening line..... Bah Humbug to you....

Aside from the gr8 Christmas Songs, no Brexit, no talk of elections, no Trump.....no lengthy ad breaks. And its always for a super cause. So its a win win for me...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

dubstepper wrote: »

I'm not sure if I have overdosed the last few years, or it's the case that after a couple of weeks of it I'm done, but I find I can't listen to it as much. I find it odd as I really enjoyed it the first few years.

*runs for cover*

I think it’s the opposite in general ChristmasFM is getting more popular and popular each year. The social media following is growing. I enjoy it more dropping in and out throughout the day rather than long listens throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I’ve made my own iTunes Christmas song list mixed with some classic pop or rock songs too. It’s a big mix of everything so I don’t get bored. But yeah I switched off the Christmas songs this evening. Sometimes quiet is good too.

dubstepper wrote: »

*runs for cover*

Yeah to be honest I generally "burn out" after a couple of weeks of it myself :o as the month goes on I listen less and less, but that goes for Christmas music in general tbh

I agree with Loughc though, in that I find it best to just dip in and out during the day rather than sustained listens

That said its mainly my Spotify playlist I'm using at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I like dipping in and out of it. I couldn't listen to it for the whole day.
    It's ideal for when I'm in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I love the period just after it goes live, i tend to just listen when im in the car though as anywhere else I've no access to a radio to hear it.
    But I have noticed i only dip in & out even when in the car after that. I tend to stick on my Christmas playlist on my iPod when I'm coming home on the train from work as it has all my favourites on it. Even when at home i'll do the same & dock the iPod or stick on MTV Christmas or one of the other music channels, so I find my listening diminishes the longer its on air. I do try to listen in for the last couple of days its on air though & do feel a little sad when it shuts down each year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I love the period just after it goes live, i tend to just listen when im in the car though as anywhere else I've no access to a radio to hear it.
    But I have noticed i only dip in & out even when in the car after that. I tend to stick on my Christmas playlist on my iPod when I'm coming home on the train from work as it has all my favourites on it. Even when at home i'll do the same & dock the iPod or stick on MTV Christmas or one of the other music channels, so I find my listening diminishes the longer its on air. I do try to listen in for the last couple of days its on air though & do feel a little sad when it shuts down each year.

Yeah 100% I'm the same

I have a Spotify playlist of about 50/60 songs I all like. Some days I'm in the mood to hear some more than others

I love Christmas Fm when it starts but as the month goes on if I listen at work I find I'm just switching over to my Spotify playlist anyway - there's too many songs on it I just get a bit fed up of, whereas Spotify is tailored to my own favourites :o

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Flying with the fundraising today. Some of the stories would make a stone cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Over €200k raised in 12 hours! That is amazing really and is testament to how popular it is I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard Once Upon a Time by Geraldine McQueen, aka Peter Kay, this evening. My first time hearing it this year!

I haven't heard Hugh O'Brien this year so far. He would tend to be on Saturday evenings when he is on Christmas FM. Has anyone heard him so far?

I heard Once Upon a Time by Geraldine McQueen, aka Peter Kay, this evening. My first time hearing it this year!

I've heard it a few times the last few days.
    Enough of Hudson Taylor though. Seriously, their song is being played to death!

Heard it twice today alone. Delighted :)

Here is another interesting Christmas tune that you don't hear on Christmas FM. I heard it a short while ago ago on 8Radio.com.
    I Wish It was Christmas Today by Julian Casablancas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wS-k66MKgs

The Taylor Swift song Christmas Tree Farm is really growing on me! Could become a classic in a few years. Nostalgia dialled up to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Anyone hear Ellie Goulding’s cover of Joni Michell’s River. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2pwJAHXP8

They are playing it regularly on bbc radio 2. I think it’s lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

I haven't heard Hugh O'Brien this year so far. He would tend to be on Saturday evenings when he is on Christmas FM. Has anyone heard him so far?
    Hugh's last show on Christmas FM was in 2017. Like a lot of presenters from the golden era of Irish radio, he decided to call it a day.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I've heard it a few times the last few days.
    Enough of Hudson Taylor though. Seriously, their song is being played to death!

So it turns out that the Hudson Taylor song is being used in the current 3 ad. That might explain the airtime. Still tires of hearing it though.

I heard an interesting take on Frosty the Snowman by The Cocteau Twins last night. This was on Pat James' show, Off the Record, on Radio Nova's digital station Classic Rock. It is yet another song that I can't see making Christmas FM's library of songs.

On Saturday night, I happened to hear The Christmas Tree by Dustin The Turkey on community radio station NEAR FM, which I had briefly tuned into in the car. Does that song ever get played on Christmas FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I heard "Text Me Christmas" the other day driving, and had to fight the urge to drive into a wall.

Surely one of the most annoying songs out there?

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Taylor Swift song Christmas Tree Farm is really growing on me! Could become a classic in a few years. Nostalgia dialled up to 11.

I really have to agree. It’s really catchy.

Actually, I have heard that Hudson Taylor song (How I Know It's Christmas) a couple of times now on Christmas FM and I quite like it. The lyrics in the opening verse are a bit clunky (trying to fit the words "Grafton Street" into the tune!), but, overall, it is a pleasant little ditty with a nice Christmas feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm the opposite, if I never hear that Hudson Taylor song again itll be too soon, sick of hearing it to the extent I now really dislike it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, it's gotten a LOT of air time, tbh!

• Advertisement

Hate to ask but when is ChristmasFM finishing this year? I’ve a trip back to Dublin to make tomorrow and I want it to guide the trip back.

Advertisement