Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They have a very good mix though between commercial and rare songs

They're obviously not going to neglect the popular ones, as they'll always be the most requested, and they have to still play them frequently

An all obscure songs policy would mean less requests, less listeners, less texts and less money for their chosen charity unfortunately

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I want to hear more less played tunes instead of the ones I hear hundreds of times everywhere.

Some of them are less played with good reason :D

The bus driver on the way home last night was tunewd in to Christmas FM, it made standing up the front of a busy bus all the way home a little less of a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My hygienist had it on in the dentist yesterday. She asked was I getting into the Christmas Spirit and I said "yeah since Nov 1".
    So she replied "oh good, bit like me, so you won't mind me playing it loudly" :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

jr86 wrote: »
    non-original versions of Slade, Wizzard, Stop the Cavalry
    Hate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Exactly, or the non-original versions of Slade, Wizzard, Stop the Cavalry etc.

Everyone will obviously text in for the original each time

As in Merry Christmas Everybody and I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday, respectively!

The In Tua Nua version of the first song has got quite a bit of play on Christmas FM over the last few years. I think it's a horrendous cover version. I grew tired of the original years ago, but it's far superior to the newer version!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Hate them!

*Drops LoughC's Christmas Cover Classics CD into bin*

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

How about a little bit of Max Bygraves.....

As in Merry Christmas Everybody and I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday, respectively!

The In Tua Nua version of the first song has got quite a bit of play on Christmas FM over the last few years. I think it's a horrendous cover version. I grew tired of the original years ago, but it's far superior to the newer version!

Its way easier just to type out the artists :)

Agreed, the In Tua Nua version is vile but only topped by Sharon Shannon/Wallis Bird. Why, just why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They played Tua Nua yesterday at 10am and then at 10.10am.
    Whyyyyyy?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Jude13 wrote: »
    Hey, I love that frosty one.

I take my headphones out when it comes on, and I have Attila The Grunt a couple of desks away from (she literally spends the day grunting at stuff, i cant listen to it anymore :-D)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

That Celtic Chique song that win the comp a few years ago is a belter by the way - not played anywhere near enough !!

I like Once Upon A Christmas Time by Geraldine (Peter Kay). I have heard it played quite a lot over the last few years. Has it been played this year?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I like Once Upon A Christmas Time by Geraldine (Peter Kay). I have heard it played quite a lot over the last few years. Has it been played this year?

Funny you mention that I love that song too and it’s been removed from Apple Music and spotify despite it being there last year.

I wonder what’s behind that.

Something tells me people find it offensive somehow.

Loughc wrote: »
    Funny you mention that I love that song too and it’s been removed from Apple Music and spotify despite it being there last year.

I wonder what’s behind that.

Something tells me people find it offensive somehow.

That's gas that you say that, I had it on my Spotify playlist from last year but then it came on shuffle yesterday and it was a completely different version. I never even added this new version must have just been replaced with a new version on Spotify automatically? By the way the new version is awful

Yep wouldn't surprise me if it was the 'easily offended' brigade again. Speaking of which, I think its fair to assume the lack of "baby its cold outside" isn't request based lets be honest

Yep wouldn't surprise me if it was the 'easily offended' brigade again. Speaking of which, I think its fair to assume the lack of "baby its cold outside" isn't request based lets be honest

Yeah it's looking like that, which is a shame, I'd rather they come out and say it was due to negative public feedback and not lack of requests, as many say there's plenty of songs on Christmas FM that no one seem to requests that get played. And Jude must have requested this now a million times by now as well :P

Dunno have I ever heard the Darkness - Christmas time on it actually.

Surprisingly as its quite mainstream

Maybe I've just missed it though!

I've heard it a couple of times I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah it's looking like that, which is a shame, I'd rather they come out and say it was due to negative public feedback and not lack of requests, as many say there's plenty of songs on Christmas FM that no one seem to requests that get played. And Jude must have requested this now a million times by now as well :P

I’ve heard it on Christmas Fm

VanHalen wrote: »
    I’ve heard it on Christmas Fm

Baby it's cold outside?

• Advertisement

I have heard that Darkness song a number of times over the years on Christmas FM. I have not heard it so far this year, but I need to listen to Christmas FM a bit more! I can't remember hearing that song last year. It regularly comes up on the Christmas specials on tv music channels.

I have seen the Band Aid 20 version (from 2004) of Do They Know It's Christmas regularly on those self same tv channels, but I have rarely heard it on Christmas FM. I think I heard the Band 30 version (from 2014) once or twice, but I don't believe I ever heard the Band Aid 2 version (1989).

Bono holds the record for appearing as a vocalist on the most Band Aid line ups: Band Aid, Band Aid 20 and Band Aid 30. Two members of Bananarama are the only members of the Band Aid 2 lineup to have appeared in another one - the original Band Aid!

I have heard that Darkness song a number of times over the years on Christmas FM. I have not heard it so far this year, but I need to listen to Christmas FM a bit more! I can't remember hearing that song last year. It regularly comes up on the Christmas specials on tv music channels.

I have seen the Band Aid 20 version (from 2004) of Do They Know It's Christmas regularly on those self same tv channels, but I have rarely heard it on Christmas FM. I think I heard the Band 30 version (from 2014) once or twice, but I don't believe I ever heard the Band Aid 2 version (1989).

Bono holds the record for appearing as a vocalist on the most Band Aid line ups: Band Aid, Band Aid 20 and Band Aid 30. Two members of Bananarama are the only members of the Band Aid 2 lineup to have appeared in another one - the original Band Aid!

I actually don't mind the Band aid 2004 version, but the 2014 is awful imo :o

I actually don't mind the Band aid 2004 version, but the 2014 is awful imo :o

Band Aid (1984) - Timeless classic, brilliant.

Band Aid 2 (1989) - Very good, but sadly neglected.

Band Aid 20 (2004) - It's not too bad. I'm not sure about the rap and the percussion part at the end!

Band Aid 30 (2014) - I liked the novelty of it initially. Some good vocals, but the overall arrangement is not great. Just about tolerable for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Band Aid (1984) - Timeless classic, brilliant.

Band Aid 2 (1989) - Very good, but sadly neglected.

Band Aid 20 (2004) - It's not too bad. I'm not sure about the rap and the percussion part at the end!

Band Aid 30 (2014) - I liked the novelty of it initially. Some good vocals, but the overall arrangement is not great. Just about tolerable for me!

in fairness '84 was always going to be hard to complete with.

There are some songs that you only ever hear on Christmas FM and that is one of the things I like about it.

My current favourite of the ones that you only hear on Christmas FM is I Wish Everyday Could be Christmas by Bon Jovi. Another favourite is Something About Christmas Time by Bryan Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

There are some songs that you only ever hear on Christmas FM and that is one of the things I like about it.

Like Feliz Navidad (yes I did have to google it to make sure I spelt it right!!)

I heard another song on Christmas FM last night that is not played on other radio stations or on music channel Christmas countdowns.The song in question has turned up in the past on one of those Top of The Pops2 Christmas specials....and will again if repeated on BBC4 or Gold!

The song I'm talking about is Cold Cold Christmas by Dana. I think it's a quaint song. I would say I have heard it on average once a year on Christmas FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Santa Baby ......Love singing along to that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Christmas Shoes😩😩 Even though it's kind of grown on me

• Advertisement

I was surprised to hear * Mark Byrne (he of various Dublin stations, 4FM, Century Radio, Atlantic 252 and Radio Ireland/ Today FM) this morning. I don't think he has ever done temporary license stations before. I heard Robbie Irwin (best known for RTE Sport these days) this afternoon. He was about to hand over to an ex-colleague of his from 2FM: Mike Maloney.

It's interesting the names that Christmas FM have secured over the years. Like many temporary licenses, it started off with largely people who had been with the smaller pirates over the decades or pirates from the 90s/00s or community stations. But over the years, it has managed to secure some big names. I think it's the nature of the station.

* Incidentally, I believe there was a a different and lesser known Mark Byrne on temporary licensed Hot Country a number of years ago!

Advertisement