Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whos in the wrong here? (m50 3-lane sys)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

DeBeere wrote: »
    Pippip, unfortunately you are the finest example of why these three lane systems have not been working. I would go into details, but others posters have done a better job of pointing out the reasoning behind it.

The reason I end up driving the way I drive is because the M50 is the finest example of why the three lanes system cannot work in Ireland. The rules of the road do not account for traffic jams to get off at slips. When these are fixed then the system can work but when you have the Lucan exit backing up a km every evening explain to me how you are not going to end up driving the speed limit in lane 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Had a friend telling me today about the 'spas' on the roads there yesterday..

Telling me as he was heading up he was in the right hand lane and a Golf came up behind him flashing his lights..My friends response "Sure he had a lane to the left to pass, some eejits on the road!!!"

Argue with that one :rolleyes:

Annoyed me no end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I try to use correct lane discipline and if travelling in first lane and want to overtake someone in middle alne, move out 1-2-3-2-1, but ever since i had a guard pull me over on the n7 for doing this on a quiet night, and say i was swerving all over the road, i just keep going on the inside lane. theres no point in even trying IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

There was an Isuzu Trooper holding up traffic and sitting at 70km in the outside lane of the N7 this morning. A Garda bike sat on his ass for 15 seconds but he still wouldn't move into the empty middle lane. So the Garda blew his horn for about 10 seconds and started waving his arm, motioning to the driver to get the f out of his way, before the gob****e actually pulled over. There should be penalty points for dickheads who hold up traffic like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I'll leave you with this. I drive mostly on the M50 during rush hour (heading northbound) and heres how it ends up every day.

I, like all you instruct me to do, join the M50 in lane 1. Traffic in lane 1 is always going slower than the speed limit due to volumes merging and exiting lane 1 so as you all say to do, I go into lane 2 where I generally spend the rest of my journey as traffic in lane 1 is always moving slower, only when I reach just past Blanchardstown do I ever find lane 1 moving at a speed at which I then move into. I do go into lane 3 when passing red cow and Lucan exits as the volume trying to get off not only effects lane 1 but with lane jumpers then slows lane 2.

So in summary I do exactly what you all ask me to do, as per the rules of the road, but as I mentioned all through this thread ,with volume, this results in me spending the majority of my journey in the middle lane which you have a problem with. So i guess I can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you think the M50 is busy?...try the UK M25 or M4 in the vicinity of Heathrow more or less any time of buisness hours and THEN you'd see busy AND STILL I can use the inside lane with regularity and believe me I dont hang around! Most inexperianced poorly trained Irish drivers wouldt last 5 minutes on there.... My advice,(to all drivers), learn some road craft , common sense and good manners. ROR is spot on, keep to the left-most feasible lane...it isnt hard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pippip wrote: »
    The reason I end up driving the way I drive is because the M50 is the finest example of why the three lanes system cannot work in Ireland. The rules of the road do not account for traffic jams to get off at slips. When these are fixed then the system can work but when you have the Lucan exit backing up a km every evening explain to me how you are not going to end up driving the speed limit in lane 1.
    There are rarely tailbacks at the M50/N4 interchange. I came across one there a few weeks ago and the one before that was a few months ago.
    Also, nothing about it on the AA roadwatch site either.
    Are you sure that you didn't dream this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kbannon wrote: »
    There are rarely tailbacks at the M50/N4 interchange. I came across one there a few weeks ago and the one before that was a few months ago.
    Also, nothing about it on the AA roadwatch site either.
    Are you sure that you didn't dream this up?

Northbound at 17.30 to 18.00 when I'm usually passing, it can be back 2-3 km. That's one of the times to avoid the inside lane as idiots break to a standstill to try and cut the queue, or come from the middle or even outside lane to try and merge in to stopped traffic.

At that time of the evening it happens for Blanchardstown and Finglas to some extent as well. Probably at the M1 junction too, but I've given up on that and queue for Finglas instead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I use that same slip road at that time and there are no queues.
    Occasionally traffic may be moving about 50km/h but it moves!

Advertisement