Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whos in the wrong here? (m50 3-lane sys)

Options
  • 28-11-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I drive to work every day on the m50, and there are always people cruising along in the middle lane for whatever reason. Anyway I usually go faster than them (not breaking the speed limit) but I overtake them on the inside (leftmost) lane (which is the lane I am driving anyway). I used to think they were goin too slow for the middle lane, but then I remember years ago from my driving instructor that you should never overtake on the left.

Thoughts / opinions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

This one gets me as well...i drive a small van and usually sit on the inside lane doing about 60-80kms per hour..dependant on traffic conditions..i've "undertaken" vehicles and had them pull in behind me, flashing their lights and sitting up my arse!!
    I'm not an aggressive driver..it's a bloody small van and diesel costs aren't getting any less so i tip along at a reasonable pace..what are you supposed to do? Drive out to the 3rd lane then drive back across to the 1st lane??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

yeah that's what I am tryna find out ! Anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Both are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

My understanding is left is slow middle is for overtaking slow lane and right lane is for overtaking the middle lane.

If you go to europe nobody sits in the fast / Right lane unless you are on the power. If you do they will sit on your ass flasing their lights until you get out of the way.

i too take the M50 from the N32 and drivers just sit in right and middle lane with the slow lane (in some instances) completely free.

It bugs the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

The problem is that according to the rules of the road, you should never undertake. The rules are made with never exceeding the speed limit in mind, the defence that you only undertook because you were driving at the speed limit and the other car was going slower is ridiculous. Be glad that they're only sitting in the middle lane and you still have the opportunity to overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

Legally you shouldn't , but I join the m50 at blanchardstown every morning and you see all the retards going straight out into the right hand lanes as soon as they can. I stay in the far left lane and sail past them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

My opinion is that you should use the left lane as much as possible until you come to slower traffic. You can move into the middle lane to overtake and can stay there until you have overtaken the traffic and move back into the left lane. The right lane should be used for traffic travelling faster than those in the left and middle lane.

It's all well and good to say don't undertake..but what the hell are you supposed to do if you are tipping along at 60kms per hour in the left lane and someone is in the middle lane doing 50?? Drive across to the outside lane and then back across to the first lane or just maintain 60kms and stay where you are??
    What are the legal implications here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

In general, people are dumb when it comes to motorway driving. If someone doesn't understand that the right lanes are for overtaking then I make their mind up for them fairly quickly by undertaking. It's a real pet hate for which I have no tolerance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

newmills wrote: »
    It's all well and good to say don't undertake..but what the hell are you supposed to do if you are tipping along at 60kms per hour in the left lane and someone is in the middle lane doing 50?? Drive across to the outside lane and then back across to the first lane or just maintain 60kms and stay where you are??

Well you would both be in the wrong in that situation, you would be undertaking, and the person sitting in the middle lane is not keeping left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Do the police ever enforce the law on undertaking? Anyone ever get stopped for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you are in the "weaving" lane that runs along parts of the M50 then it is OK to pass on the left. If you are in Lane 1, then it's not OK to pass middle lane road hogs on the left but it is understandable why you'd want to do so.

3 lane motorways in this country are a shambles as it seems that 90% of drivers haven't a clue what lane to drive in. The result is that law abiding drivers end up getting frustrated with having to change lanes 4 times to overtake one middle lane hog. The other "options" are join the herd and become a middle lane hog yourself, or blatantly break the law and undertake everything using the empty lane 1.

Well you would both be in the wrong in that situation, you would be undertaking, and the person sitting in the middle lane is not keeping left.

I understand that undertaking is illegal but i've found instances on the m50 where i've been on the inside lane and at 60-70km/p/h i've been faster than the middle lane..however the middle lane is very busy making it difficult to get into it..should i slow right down to 40-50kms/p/h with my indicator on to get into the middle lane (thus slowing the inside lane down to a crawl) or should i continue at 60-70kms/p/h??
    I know the rules dictate that undertaking is illegal but does common sense prevail??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

So the answer is both parties are in the wrong ?

Does anyone have any links to road traffic legislation to clear this up once and for all !

I think a tv/radio ad campaign is needed to advice people on how to drive on these new motorways. Face it, no driving instructor will bring a learner onto the motorway, and nobody ever gets driving instruction after they pass their test.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

dublinhead wrote: »
    Do the police ever enforce the law on undertaking? Anyone ever get stopped for it?

Yup! Even though I was exiting around 20 seconds ahead :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Here you go: I always stick to speed limit in the middle lane, making the assumption that left lane is for slower vehicles and right lane for overtaking only- appeciate other drivers may not be so informed ;)

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8342-0.pdf

Lane discipline
    The normal “keep left” rule applies. This means that you stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking. The outside lane is for overtaking only and a vehicle should move back into the inner lane when the overtaking manoeuvre is completed. Unless traffic density is such that all lanes are moving in queues, the right-most lane should only be used to overtake or to accommodate merging traffic. Once you’ve finished overtaking move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming form behind to pass by.
    In a three-lane carriageway you may stay in the centre lane while there is slower moving traffic on Lane 1; a goods vehicle with a design gross weight exceeding 3,500 kilograms, a passenger vehicle that has accommodation for more than 8 passengers or a vehicle drawing a trailer, horsebox, caravan etc should not use the right-hand lane of a carriageway next to the central median (the outside lane) except in exceptional circumstances when it is not possible to proceed in the inner lane due to an obstruction.
    Overtaking
    Overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This is covered in the rules of the road.

There are two situations when you can pass someone on the left;

(1) if they are turning right

(2) if you are in slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the right

Rule 2 seems to cover this... so passing them is fine but if you pull in in front of them afterward near in mind this is a dangerous maneuver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

3DataModem wrote: »
    This is covered in the rules of the road.

There are two situations when you can pass someone on the left;

(1) if they are turning right

(2) if you are in slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the right

Rule 2 seems to cover this... so passing them is fine but if you pull in in front of them afterward near in mind this is a dangerous maneuver.

In what way does staying at around the speed limit constitute slow moving traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Cicero wrote: »
    In a three-lane carriageway you may stay in the centre lane while there is slower moving traffic on Lane 1;

But the problem is most of the time this is not the case (from my experience on the N7 and N4 anyway) - the inside lane is usually relatively empty, and slow vans, vehicles with trailers, artics, etc. all go in the middle lane with everyone else. :confused:

I usually stay in the inside lane driving at the limit if there is a long queue in the middle going slower than limit - as 3DataModem said the ROTR gives the impression this is OK to do. In many cases it would be hard/dangerous to get to the outside lane to overtake anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'm fairly sure the opperators should be doing their job on this one. If I'm paying three euro to use a road I expect it to be in good condition. Not over-run by lunatics in random lanes. I've played games of Mario cart that had better organisation.

Some day there's gonna be a serious accident, I hope I'm not there when there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

newmills wrote: »

Our rules of the road will have to be updated. They were written at a much different time, when we only had 2 lanes in each direction. Parts of the M50 have 4 lanes in each direction, so the no "undertaking" rule no longer makes sense. Also if you look at the new N3/M50 junction layout there'll be roads/ramps every where, it will be hard to know whats considered the inside lane.

There should be no safety issue with undertaking either, as you should always check your blind spots correctly before changing lanes. This is the way it works in many other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also if you look at the new N3/M50 junction layout there'll be roads/ramps every where, it will be hard to know whats considered the inside lane.
    Its the one on the left, unless there is a solid(ish) line to your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I do most of my motorway driving in the UK on business, and there undertaking is normal because all three lanes are occupied. In reality, a motorway is at least three lanes. If we are to abide rigidly to the rule that the LH lane is for driving in, and the middle and outer lanes are for overtaking, then a motorway is actually a single carriageway to all intents and purposes. That, to me at least after almost fifty years of driving all over the world, is nonsense.

Having said that, undertaking is dangerous, mainly because the idiots hugging the other lanes only look in their rear view and right hand mirrors (if they bother to use mirrors at all). So we have potentially a couple of tonnes of metal travelling at 100 clicks with the driver looking the wrong way. Such people shouldn't be on motorways in the first place. Therefore I can see the time when passing the driving test only allows you to drive on N roads downwards, but you have to pass another test to use motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ART6 wrote: »
    I do most of my motorway driving in the UK on business, and there undertaking is normal because all three lanes are occupied.
    Its the norm in a lot of countries, i hold a canadian licence and its the norm there too... if someone doesn't check their blind spot when doing a lane change in either direction they are the one that are at fault.

The person on the inside lane might not be undertaking, but traveling at the same speed, joined the motor way at an on ramp. So if someone doesn't check their blind spot, it can still cause an accident.
    ART6 wrote: »
    Having said that, undertaking is dangerous, mainly because the idiots hugging the other lanes only look in their rear view and right hand mirrors (if they bother to use mirrors at all). So we have potentially a couple of tonnes of metal travelling at 100 clicks with the driver looking the wrong way. Such people shouldn't be on motorways in the first place. Therefore I can see the time when passing the driving test only allows you to drive on N roads downwards, but you have to pass another test to use motorways.

I would agrree that the irish driver training system is completely out-dated, and motor ways were never factored into it. For example a driving instructor can not take a student on a motor way to teach them how to use it properly :eek: which is just stupid.

Graduated licencing would be a great idea. Before the first test your not allowed on a motorway. After the first test your allowed on the motorway with your instructor/tester.

But its Ireland nothing will happen and the government are just going to ad an extra 500 stupid questions to the pool of theory test questions (many of which already have errors in them) and say they are doing something about driver training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

FFS, mods can this be treated like foglights please?
    OP seems like a troll. This issue is covered on here nearly every second day.
    Next person who comes on with a similar question should be tracked down and have their license revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Both of you in the wrong on paper! Middle lane hoggers are as old as the 3 lane system- should be clamped down but traffic cops have bigger fish to fry these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Cicero wrote: »
    Here you go: I always stick to speed limit in the middle lane, making the assumption that left lane is for slower vehicles and right lane for overtaking only- appeciate other drivers may not be so informed ;)

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8342-0.pdf

Lane discipline
    The normal “keep left” rule applies. This means that you stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking. The outside lane is for overtaking only and a vehicle should move back into the inner lane when the overtaking manoeuvre is completed. Unless traffic density is such that all lanes are moving in queues, the right-most lane should only be used to overtake or to accommodate merging traffic. Once you’ve finished overtaking move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming form behind to pass by.
    In a three-lane carriageway you may stay in the centre lane while there is slower moving traffic on Lane 1; a goods vehicle with a design gross weight exceeding 3,500 kilograms, a passenger vehicle that has accommodation for more than 8 passengers or a vehicle drawing a trailer, horsebox, caravan etc should not use the right-hand lane of a carriageway next to the central median (the outside lane) except in exceptional circumstances when it is not possible to proceed in the inner lane due to an obstruction.
    Overtaking
    Overtake
    You're in the wrong so.

It says you MAY stay in the centre lane WHILE there is slower traffic on Lane 1.

You understand may and while, yeah?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kazul wrote: »
    FFS, mods can this be treated like foglights please?
    OP seems like a troll. This issue is covered on here nearly every second day.
    Next person who comes on with a similar question should be tracked down and have their license revoked.

If you have a problem with the OP's post then report it, wingeing about it on thread is not on. And back seat modding is against the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

i plan ahead, if i'm in the middle lane and my exit is coming up ill stay there til i pass the exit before mine (so not to clog up traffic merging onto the M50) then when all traffic has entered the motorway i check if im clear,signal and move into left lane, that way im not being stupid and overtaking anybody and then suddenly cutting across lanes of traffic at the last minute to get to my exit and im not going to slow anyone up because im exiting the motorway, good habits to get into, no point flooring it down the motorway, we all get there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

77FsKPN0gXlaucgywxITmg%3D%3D_g153.gif

Australia .. signs up everywhere with an on the spot fine for those who dont stay left .. *sigh*

Advertisement