Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whos in the wrong here? (m50 3-lane sys)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

squod wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the opperators should be doing their job on this one. If I'm paying three euro to use a road I expect it to be in good condition. Not over-run by lunatics in random lanes. I've played games of Mario cart that had better organisation.

Some day there's gonna be a serious accident, I hope I'm not there when there is.
    The M50 toll is collected by eflow for the government (remember Bertie "I won it on the gigis" Ahern threw €600 million at it).
    The operators job is to collect the money and not to teach people how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Bonito wrote: »
    i plan ahead, if i'm in the middle lane and my exit is coming up ill stay there til i pass the exit before mine (so not to clog up traffic merging onto the M50) then when all traffic has entered the motorway i check if im clear,signal and move into left lane, that way im not being stupid and overtaking anybody and then suddenly cutting across lanes of traffic at the last minute to get to my exit and im not going to slow anyone up because im exiting the motorway, good habits to get into, no point flooring it down the motorway, we all get there in the end.

Nice ... and while you're moron-ing along in the middle lane "so as not to impede traffic coming onto the motorway" there are cars behind you forced into lane 3 which in turn slows the traffic in that lane.

Move the f*ck over and let the cars coming onto the motorway adjust their speed. If they don't you can overtake them or ... hey ... you could even slow down, it seems you're not in a hurry anyway.

It's all about education and attitude. I had it drilled into me when I learnt to drive that on a dual carriageway (do we really need motorway training ?) I should stay in the left lane and only move out to overtake. Then move back in and get out of the way of faster traffic. This is simple stuff, it's not f*cking rocket science. It became part of my psyche while driving. So much so, that when I drove in America a few years ago and was advised to "pick a lane and stay in it", it felt physically wrong to drive along in any lane but the inside one.

One of the problems here is peoples perceptions of distance and time. I've spoken to friends about this and some of them are of the opinion that there's no point in pulling in when there's a car 100 metres ahead that is going slower. What seems to be ignored is that in the time it takes to catch and pass that other car, quite a few cars could have gotten past if the driver had pulled over.

BTW, what's with the trucks hogging the middle lanes on the M50 and N7? FFS, I thought these fellahs were supposed to be professionals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't use the 3 lane sections of the M50 regularly, and when I first started using it I admit I didn't have a clue on which lane to be in other than knowing the far right lane is for overtaking.

It confused the hell out of me that everyone was sitting in the middle lane. It just didn't/doesn't make sense to me. Now I just stay in the inside lane and stick to a speed comfortable to me, if I end up undertaking a car in the middle lane then so be it, I'm not going to cut across two lanes and back just to overtake someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

DubTony wrote: »
    Nice ... and while you're moron-ing along in the middle lane "so as not to impede traffic coming onto the motorway" there are cars behind you forced into lane 3 which in turn slows the traffic in that lane.

Move the f*ck over and let the cars coming onto the motorway adjust their speed. If they don't you can overtake them or ... hey ... you could even slow down, it seems you're not in a hurry anyway.

Who said he is forcing anyone into lane 3. If he is doing the speed limit he is doing exactly what he is suppose to be doing.

By your logic every car on the motorway should be in lane 1 and lanes 2 and 3 should be for people who want to speed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You overtake on the right. The slower you are going the more to the left you should be.

Do the opposite in Europe and America.

Do you guys not learn how to drive on a highway when you get lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

You overtake on the right. The slower you are going the more to the left you should be.

Wow. Just wow!

Would you do that in yer test love?

Do the opposite in Europe and America.

Do you guys not learn how to drive on a highway when you get lessons?

Yes but in reality this equals all cars in lane 1!!!! So all cars on the motorway are to stay in lane 1. What do you suppose happens when merging traffic arrives and you have a few hundred cars all travelling in lane one.....you have cars in lane two and there you go we end up exactly as reality has it as long as you do the speed limit.

I think this is a case of common sense over rules of the road.

pippip wrote: »
    Yes but in reality this equals all cars in lane 1!!!! So all cars on the motorway are to stay in lane 1. What do you suppose happens when merging traffic arrives and you have a few hundred cars all travelling in lane one.....you have cars in lane two and there you go we end up exactly as reality has it as long as you do the speed limit.

I think this is a case of common sense over rules of the road.

They have to wait until there is a chance for them to get in, they cant expect people to move over.

LOL. I learned how to do that real fast from driving in france and california.

squod wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow!

Would you do that in yer test love?

I dont know what you mean, but I do object to you calling me love. Take it back and say you are sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Lane 1
    The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2
    On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.

On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.

Lane 3
    If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I dont know what you mean,

I know. Have you read any other post here ever? Or the ROTR?
    The slower you are going the more to the left you should be.

They have to wait until there is a chance for them to get in, they cant expect people to move over.

LOL. I learned how to do that real fast from driving in france and california.

Your concept cannot work with volume on a motorway. It would end up with people stopped on the slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Lane 1
    The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2
    On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.

On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.

Lane 3
    If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

this post is the one that makes most sense to me. if everyone read this there would be no problems:)
    especially this!!!

"On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is SLOWER moving traffic in lane 1."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its OK to overtake on the inside at all times provided you check your mirrors for unmarked patrol cars and/or are driving a white van. Ignore bit about mirrors if you are driving a t*xi (expletive deleted).

Special rules apply to BMWs and SUVs..asak for details...:cool:

Who said he is forcing anyone into lane 3. If he is doing the speed limit he is doing exactly what he is suppose to be doing.

By your logic every car on the motorway should be in lane 1 and lanes 2 and 3 should be for people who want to speed overtake!

FYP.

That's exactly how it's designed to work. It's the job of the Gardai to deter speeding, and not for some gimp to decide that he'll stay in the "fast lane" because of those murdering speeders.

As for the BS arguments that "everyone would be in lane 1 and nobody could get onto the motorway", FFS... wake up children. If this is the sort of logic used by people who were supposedly trained to drive and actually passed a test, it's no wonder this thread was started.

DubTony wrote: »
    FYP.

That's exactly how it's designed to work. It's the job of the Gardai to deter speeding, and not for some gimp to decide that he'll stay in the "fast lane" because of those murdering speeders.

As for the BS arguments that "everyone would be in lane 1 and nobody could get onto the motorway", FFS... wake up children. If this is the sort of logic used by people who were supposedly trained to drive and actually passed a test, it's no wonder this thread was started.

Mate, you haven't got a clue do you?
    Hope to god I'm never on the M50 when your about if thats how you were trained to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mate, you haven't got a clue do you?
    Hope to god I'm never on the M50 when your about if thats how you were trained to drive.

I think you'll find that DubTony knows how to drive on a Motorway, and you need to lose the chip on your shoulder and either read the rules of the road, or take some advanced drived training.

It's drivers like you who cause traffic jams by staying in lane 2 because there may be something going slower than you at some point in lane 1.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I think you'll find that DubTony knows how to drive on a Motorway, and you need to lose the chip on your shoulder and either read the rules of the road, or take some advanced drived training.

It's drivers like you who cause traffic jams by staying in lane 2 because there may be something going slower than you at some point in lane 1.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. All the posts by DubTony seem to assume that everyone is going below the speed limit, and so are you. If i'm in the middle lane doing 100kph or 120kph (what ever the speed limit is) the only way I'm annoying anyone is if they want to speed. So if DubTony wants to speed thats fine but don't have a go at the rest of us obeying the speed limits and driving responsibly.

I understand your point of staying in the left hand lane but as I mentioned earlier this only works with low volume, so for the M50 thats from about 10pm through till 5am, any other time you'll be constantly having to move into the middle lane at every merger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

DubTony has it spot on. If EVERYONE stayed in LANE 1 unless they NEEDED to OVERTAKE then lane 2 would be CLEAR for when the cars in lane 1 come up onto traffic MERGING onto the motorway. And in situations where traffic is heavy then those who have moved into lane 2 can then move into lane 3 to allow those into lane 2 to make way for the merging traffic, nobody has 2 jam on or slow down and there's no accidents. Bit of cop on and common sense saves lives. And obviously there's going to be alot more incidents and accidents on the M50 until it's completely revamped and completed. Simple matter of trial and error. Just because you use the M50 every single bloody day doesn't mean you can predict every other single drivers actions. Hence this is why you look well ahead and anticipate other driver actions. Obviously instead of showing adverts on how to overtake or how to use multi lane roundabouts they should be showing how to drive in mulit-lane traffic!

• Advertisement

I understand your point of staying in the left hand lane but as I mentioned earlier this only works with low volume, so for the M50 thats from about 10pm through till 5am, any other time you'll be constantly having to move into the middle lane at every merger.

And???????

That's how you drive on a motorway, or are you scared that moving lanes might cause additional wear on your tyres?

I'm on the M50 around 07.00 each morning and have no difficulty driving at the speed limit (or maybe slightly above) in lane 1, moving to lane 2 to overtake, or even lane 3, then moving back left again.

If I have to move to lane 2 to allow people to merge, then I move if it's safe to. If it isn't safe to then I'll adjust my speed to allow others to merge.

This is called driving on a Motorway.

R.O.R wrote: »
    And???????

That's how you drive on a motorway, or are you scared that moving lanes might cause additional wear on your tyres?

I'm on the M50 around 07.00 each morning and have no difficulty driving at the speed limit (or maybe slightly above) in lane 1, moving to lane 2 to overtake, or even lane 3, then moving back left again.

If I have to move to lane 2 to allow people to merge, then I move if it's safe to. If it isn't safe to then I'll adjust my speed to allow others to merge.

This is called driving on a Motorway.

So why not go the speed limit in lane 2, thus merging problems aren't an issue for anyone and then people like DubTony are free to use lane 3 if they want to go faster? I have no problem switching lanes but I do prefer to give myself an easier drive while not annoying anyone.

"If I have to move to lane 2 to allow people to merge, then I move if it's safe to. If it isn't safe to then I'll adjust my speed to allow others to merge."

The above then slows everyone behind you causing the slow down you just accused me of doing! Wouldn't have happened if you had been in lane 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

So why not go the speed limit in lane 2, thus merging problems aren't an issue for anyone and then people like DubTony are free to use lane 3 if they want to go faster? I have no problem switching lanes but I do prefer to give myself an easier drive while not annoying anyone.

"If I have to move to lane 2 to allow people to merge, then I move if it's safe to. If it isn't safe to then I'll adjust my speed to allow others to merge."

The above then slows everyone behind you causing the slow down you just accused me of doing! Wouldn't have happened if you had been in lane 2.
    If there were no idiots stuck cruising along in lane 2 then he could have moved in rather than having to slow all traffic behind! So really it's the ignorant gobs in lane 2 that cause the slow down of lane 1 by either A: Not moving back into lane 1 after "overtaking" or B: Not watching what's happening in lane 1 to realise "Oh merging traffic and lane 1 is full I better move into lane 3 to allow drivers in lane 1 to move into lane 2 so the merging traffic can freely enter the motorway" DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

And what do you do when you want into your middle lane? You try to merge. All you're doing is deleting the left most lane and turning the road into an effectively two lane one.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

I apologise for having nothing helpful to add, but just want to vent about drivers who are unable/unwilling to correctly drive on the motorway. Why on earth would anybody think it is correct to overtake in the left lane?
    Also, people need to brush up on indicating and positioning on roundabouts.
    Not rocket science folks. Sorry. Rant over.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    And what do you do when you want into your middle lane? You try to merge. All you're doing is deleting the left most lane and turning the road into an effectively two lane one.

I'm not saying I use lane 2 all the time. I agree with the rules of the road that lane 1 should be used and I do use it if I'm driving late at night but IT DOES NOT WORK WITH VOLUME.
    And if you need an example of that go drive on the M50 during the day. If your in lane 1 you are pretty much going to be in lane 2 by the next exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

middle_lane_shot.jpg

I'm not saying I use lane 2 all the time. I agree with the rules of the road that lane 1 should be used and I do use it if I'm driving late at night but IT DOES NOT WORK WITH VOLUME.
    And if you need an example of that go drive on the M50 during the day. If your in lane 1 you are pretty much going to be in lane 2 by the next exit.

Sometimes there is just no teaching people :rolleyes:

It does work at all times on the motorway, any motorway. I know, I've done it numerous times on the M7, M50, UK M60, M62, M61, M6, M1, etc. etc.

It might not work if you aren't a very good driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I just drove home from the airport and left the 50 at Palmerstown.

Reasonable traffic from Blanch exit as its two lanes but and soon as it became 3(4) no one moved left so the left two lanes were clear all the way to my exit.

The M50 looks busy to you because of all the IDIOTS sitting in the middle lane hogging it forcing everyone into the 3rd lane.

KeepLeft.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Pippip, unfortunately you are the finest example of why these three lane systems have not been working. I would go into details, but others posters have done a better job of pointing out the reasoning behind it.

Advertisement