Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

9 wtg Day 5

5 miles recovery, real slow at 8:30 pace. I was happy to keep it slow, the legs were tight in new places after yesterdays treadmill run. Now I have to fit in a long run tomorrow, and an IMRA race Sunday. I'm in two minds about doing the long one: not that I need to be fresh for the hill race (Rotterdam is the main goal for now), but this is meant to be a fallback week....

...ahh scratch that, as I type it I realize I'm just making excuses to skip a long run, so long run tomorrow!

9 wtg day 7

13 miles, including 6.6 mile hill race, warm up, warm down.

After myself and SJ registered, we were asked to park the car at Marlay park and jog up to the start, which meant we had a not insignificant 1.7 mile uphill to just make the start of the race. This presented no subsequent problems for him, but I'll use it as an excuse for a notso hotso run.

First couple of miles or so were fast and hard, as all these races are. A couple of people passed me on mile 3, which was the main ascent, when my legs were burned. Think I had been running at my lactate threshold and was starting to suffer. No real problem, I just started running twenty seconds, walking ten for a while, and got to the summit without losing any more places. I was at least top 20 at this stage, happy with my position, and had a good feeling about the upcoming downhill...

Which began in earnest when I applied some knowledge gleaned from Boards, and ran downhill without the brakes, covering a lot of ground and taking back a couple of places. I was flying now, taking large strides and hitting the ground well. I flew by a big JCB down the a very muddy and rocky path, and was thrilled with how well I was covering the ground, this had to be my best technical downhill ever, each footfall was planting in mud or rock but coping very well...only problem was I should have turned right by the JCB, and by the time I had scrambled back on course I had been passed by lots of others, and added over half a mile to the 6 mile route. I was really pissed off at this stage (considered for a brief moment DNF'ing) but hey, its only a race, its not like I was going to win the Olympics, and missing turns is part and parcel of IMRA.

So I'm happy-ish with the run, certainly I would have been happy if I had maintained my position to the finish. As a training run it was very useful, and I'll be stronger coming into the Annacurra run. Worst part was I added a whole bunch of numbers to the Boards AC score, which had been looking great after two terrific runs from Enduro (1st) and Slogger Jogger (11th), but after they threw me into the gorse bush and hurled rocks and venom at me for 10 minutes or so, their anger abated and they forgave me:)

Imra races, ya gotta love them, where else €7 buy you this drama?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm still not talking to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Still great running and you know how to run downhill perfectly, so 2 valuable lessons learned and for only 7 euro and fair play for continuing, great run all in all

I'm still not talking to you :)

Rats. And I'm all outta friend-buying cash too...:mad:

• Advertisement

8 wtg Day 1

7 miles recovery, up a great snow covered hill. Fantastic views of South Wicklow from the top, a snowscape as far as the eye could see. Legs were a bit tight from yesterday, nothing too bad though.

Worked on my core earlier, helping the kids build four snowmen:)

Good stuff. I was thinking the same thing so I had to get out this evening. Great conditions for running especially if you found a fresh trail of snow. Nice and soft on the feet for recovery :)

8 wtg day2

10 miles, consisting of 8 miles at 7:18 pace, 2 mile warmdown 8:30 pace.

Having read the thread on "snow running", and the amount of city folk who have to contend with slack-jawed skangers hurling iceballs at them, I once again count my blessing I live where I do. By the time I got out, the roads were slushy enough, but I had a great downhill through a snow covered field. Doesn't make a difference whether you're 8 or 88, you'll always feel a sense of pride if yours are the first footprints in the snow:)

The route was mainly along forest trail, and my shoes were soaking very early in the run. Considering the difficult traction underfoot, I was happy with 8 miles at this pace. Legs felt a bit tired, but the "engine" was there when I wanted it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Doesn't make a difference whether you're 8 or 88, you'll always feel a sense of pride if yours are the first footprints in the snow:)

So True. Felt that satisfying 'crunch' under my footfalls this morning :D

Had the same feeling earlier today. My inov-8s did the business in fresh snow up to 6 inches deep at times. Theres a sense of achievement making your way up that trail (hill) ploughing through the snow. A great feeling.

• Advertisement

8 wtg day 3

5 miles incl 4x40sec uphill strides, 40 min total

Almost did nothing today, and had some wine with dinner. But my feet were real itchy, so I got out for a run round town with a few uphill strides thrown in.

8 WTG DAY4

18.1 miles in 2:37, avrg pace 8:40 min/mile

My calf muscle was very tight at the start of this run, and it got so bad I considered aborting. But I had read Krusty's account of his snow run yesterday, and I was determined to get in some snow running while I could. Once I got off road and into the hills, I was crunching my way through quite deep snow for about 8 miles or so. A blizzard started up for most of the run, very nice to be able to run through it. The downhill sections were a real boost: you can fly down and measure your stride against the footprints you leave trudging uphill.
    Oftentimes it was tough going, and the legs certainly got a workout from all the lifting they had to do. My pace was all over the shop, understandable given the conditions. When I got back onroad I kept adding loops so as to make a good 18 mile lsr- and with the hills and snow it felt as good as getting in a 20 miler.

Calf is tight now again, but I'll go easy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Don't be blaming me! My run was only 6.7 miles. I can't imagine doing a long run in those conditions. Fantastic running in that weather! Respect!

One handy side effect of all this snow is a plentiful supply of nice, cold, clean water.

Fab running pops given the conditions. Wow. You can lie on at the weekend and laugh at the thought of the rest of us doing our LSRs :rolleyes:

Fab running pops given the conditions. Wow. You can lie on at the weekend and laugh at the thought of the rest of us doing our LSRs :rolleyes:
    Cheers SJ, as it turns out the missus has plans for me at the weekend, so I it was now or never.
    Calf is bloody killing me now:pac:

8 wtg day 6

10 miles; 8 at 7:08 pace, 2 recovery 8:30pace

A tight calf kept me from doing any more hills these past two days. I think I got it from the fast Ticknock downhill, and exacerbated it by running through deep snow. I got a nice 8 miles this afternoon on a flat trail, and after a couple of miles the calf was fine. The run itself felt great, legs were tired, as I'd expect them to be amidst this hard training, but the engine had plenty of juice. Last couple of miles were under marathon pace.

I'm happy with where I am in training now, with two months to go.

well done pops. Just pm'ed you re a possible run tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm happy with where I am in training now, with two months to go.

Good stuff. Do you have a target time ?

Good stuff. Do you have a target time ?

2:59:59.99 would do:)

Last three Dublin marathons, 3:49, 3:31, 3:10. Since my training routes are so hilly I can't be scientific when it comes to pace, but looking at my times now versus two months before last DM I should be on course for sub 3.

7 wtg day 2

8 miles in 54:17, 6:47 pace. 2 mile recovery at 7:45 pace.

Right, I've been losing motivation over the past couple of days for some reason, I guess the training can be a bit of a drudge, and there's still two months to go. However, this morning I had a look at Woddle creeping up on me in the 1000 mile challenge, and proved once again that the hardest step in training is the first one out the door. Felt great once I was running. Thanks for the motivation once again Woddle!

As I've often alluded to on these pages, pacing is my biggest issue. So many of my miles are done over hills, that I can find it hard to judge how I'll survive running at 6:51 pace over in flat Rotterdam. So today I intended a ten mile run, and intended at least four at PMP. The first two miles were quick enough, 7:06 and 6:44, but the next two had me slowing a bit as they included a few hills (6:58, 7:15). So I said I'd make it five miles, then six (6:23, 7:03), and felt good enough to run two more at a faster pace (6:28, 6:14). Average pace over the eight miles was 6:47, total time 54:17, which I'm very happy about. A couple of weeks ago I ran eight in 58:30, and remarked to Slogger Jogger afterwards that its always a bit of an achievement to do eight under an hour. Last week I ran the eight in 57:10, so today I've taken a couple more minutes off that, and on a hillier course too.

I still need to do a twelve miler or so at PMP, on the flat, and might wait till next week to find a flat course in Dublin to do it. If I manage that I'll be more confident about my overall pace for the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

great running again.

Yeah the pacing thing is something I also worry about. I don't think you need to worry too much though. If you are running those times on hilly courses you will breeze around Rotterdam.

I'd definitely do a couple of 18 mile runs on the flat before the marathon so you can calibrate yourself !

I'd definitely do a couple of 18 mile runs on the flat before the marathon so you can calibrate yourself !

You're right, I will have to do this. Unlike most runners, I see the hills at 18 mile in Dublin and think "goody!", knowing it will give me a chance to rest some leg muscles and switch to using others for a while. Rotterdam, being so flat, means three hours of using the same muscle group. The hills down here may help my stamina, but they won't aid flat running.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fantastic running DNHOP! What a pace!
    I find it a strange sensation, switching from the flat/downhill muscles to the uphill muscles. My body groans as if to say 'here we go again', before settling into the slog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

You're right, I will have to do this. Unlike most runners, I see the hills at 18 mile in Dublin and think "goody!", knowing it will give me a chance to rest some leg muscles and switch to using others for a while. Rotterdam, being so flat, means three hours of using the same muscle group. The hills down here may help my stamina, but they won't aid flat running.

Agree. I found Berlin's marathon flatness rather uncomfortable especially after midway. All my toes on my left foot were numb for days later and still the numbness hasn't gone on my big toe.
    On the starting line in the DM 4 weeks later I spoke with some lads from Antrim who also did Berlin. One of them lost all of the nails on one of his feet a few days after.
    I much preferred the gradient change in in Dublin. You're legs and feet would also. Not much flatness around Wickla though

Abhainn wrote: »
    Agree. I found Berlin's marathon flatness rather uncomfortable especially after midway. All my toes on my left foot were numb for days later and still the numbness hasn't gone on my big toe.
    On the starting line in the DM 4 weeks later I spoke with some lads from Antrim who also did Berlin. One of them lost all of the nails on one of his feet a few days after.
    I much preferred the gradient change in in Dublin. You're legs and feet would also. Not much flatness around Wickla though

So as someone who has experienced both, how do you best deal with fatigue brought on by flat marathons? Obviously I will try and get in a few long runs before on the flat, but is there a way of shifting gait or something that can help stop muscles from cramping up during the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

donothoponpop you may not be affected by the coarse flatness, so it may not be a problem for you.
    But I think in an ideal world find a flat location to carry out one or two of your long runs. Chances of finding a place like that are slim though.

If it were me next time I would try and avoid the problem by wriggling my toes more often in the race itself. Otherwise just bare the pain. It lasts only lasts for a hour or so anyway:)

Smashing running donothoponpop. We''ll get each other over the finish line in sub 3 time no matter what.

Smashing running donothoponpop. We''ll get each other over the finish line in sub 3 time no matter what.

You don't know how true this is! Your wuss runs notwithstanding;), I've been getting scared at some of the outdoor paces you've been running lately- so much so that your recent weekend report was directly responsible for my pushing the PMP over a few extra miles today:)

But hey, if it gets us home under three hours, keep up the competition!

7 wtg day 3

14 miles av 7:17 pace, 1 mile warm down.

Just to continue that theme, on todays run I was thinking of a specific Slogger Jogger run, where he did 14.4 miles av 7:20 pace. Not that I'm going to define my marathon through him, but he's been hitting all the right times lately, and I'd like a bit of that magic please.

This morning was similar to yesterday in that I dreaded going out the door, but once I was out into the bright frosty air I was motoring along at a pretty good pace (about PMP+7%). It felt like an easy pace compared to yesterdays run, and even though there were a couple of hills to slow me down a bit, I felt better than I thought I would for most of the run. The last few miles I had to lie to myself ("just get to 11, now 12, now 13: ahh go on, do the 14!") but luckily I'm pretty gullible. Happy with the pace.

• Advertisement

7 wtg day 4

5.7 miles hill run

Did a recce of the Annacurra route with SJ, nice'n'easy. There's still a lot of snow up the top, which was great fun running through. Started getting stomach cramps and sweating profusely on the way down, hope its just a reaction to the past two days hard runs. Racing this route on Saturday, should be in good shape for it.

Advertisement