Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dp, after this mornings 18.2m I believe I've prepped myself for a pile of shambollicks in tomorrow's Howth run but I'm still up for the mud bath it will most probably be. Would be good to say hi (at the start mind :))

Look forward to meeting you! I'm 6'2", shaved head, probably wearing a bright orange "Run like an animal" top, or a red long sleeved top, depending on weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Also 6'2", I'll be in running tights under a pair of 'skins' shorts with wasp yellow stripped Mizuno's. I'll wear my fetching baby blue beanie hat for xtra kudos (and individuality, I hope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Don't forget to register your Boards team in tomorrows race and best of luck, my wife won't let me race 2 days in a row :(

Woddle wrote: »
    Don't forget to register your Boards team in tomorrows race and best of luck, my wife won't let me race 2 days in a row :(

That's understandable, you can't give all your lovin' to Boards AC!

Ironically I had the registrar of my AC phone me this morning, he's registered me for another year with them, but I was able to clarify with him 100% as far as AAI are concerned, you can register under another AC for IMRA races. So Boards AC will be put down tomorrow- assuming I get there, it's VERY stormy where I am now!:eek:

12 wtg day 7

4.4 mile IMRA Howth winter race, 39:15

Who knew you could fit so much variety into a 4 mile race? Grass, muck, leaves, rock, scree, forest, canopy, water, heather, trail; all formed parts of the terrain on this new route to Howth summit. The first mile or so was an easy enough uphill, but any overtaking had to wait until the next, long downhill section, which went on way too long, as you knew you would have to make up this gain later. By the time the long ascent came around, the field had started to spread out a bit. I tried holding on to Slogger Joggers' tail for a while here, but he soon was picking off runners ahead of me and was gone. Walking was nigh on obliglitry on some of the steeper sections, the rocks here were quite slippy. I had a heavy fall onto some granite at the top here, but that's nearly par for the course with IMRA.

As we looped around towards the summit, I started to tire, and was passed by a few here (including Rusty Cogs who gave a salutation), so I dug in a little and managed to reel a few back in. Eventually the summit arrived, and with it a severe wind which had to be experience to be believed. The wind actually blew you upwards to the summit, then managed to cut against you horizontally, making progress extremely difficult.

Managed to pick up the pace a bit going down, and caught up with a couple more runners, despite falling again a couple of times. By this stage I had Rusty in my sights again, and I was making up ground on him, purely I'd say because I'm more experienced at downhill running. A fast turn through mud at the bend for home sent me crashing down hard again, but a quick glance revealed just blood, and no bone;), so I set off again. Rusty was gone with the wind by now, so I had a bit of a sprint with a couple of other guys, and held them off to finish after Rusty (well done man, great run! You too SJ, you were flying!).

Got to lose a little weight for the next one, and sort out the sore knee, but can't wait! 3 home for Boards AC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running Donothoponpop, and a great write-up.. You're making me nervous about my return to the IMRA races! Do you think I could run in skateboarders knee and elbow pads, and a motorcycle helmet?!

Great running Donothoponpop, and a great write-up.. You're making me nervous about my return to the IMRA races! Do you think I could run in skateboarders knee and elbow pads, and a motorcycle helmet?!

I think you should patent this idea! To be fair though, there was an awful lot of different terrain to contend with on this short, narrow course, and the mud lent itself to slipping. I'm sure Ticknock won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

[quote

By this stage I had Rusty in my sights again, and I was making up ground on him, purely I'd say because I'm more experienced at downhill running. A fast turn through mud at the bend for home sent me crashing down hard again, quote]

Was that you ? I could hear some guy bearing down on me and was expecting to be passed all the way to the line, I dared not look back. TBH after being passed six times on the Sugarloaf down hill you were chasing a man trying to prove something to himself. :)

[quote

By this stage I had Rusty in my sights again, and I was making up ground on him, purely I'd say because I'm more experienced at downhill running. A fast turn through mud at the bend for home sent me crashing down hard again, quote]

Was that you ? I could hear some guy bearing down on me and was expecting to be passed all the way to the line, I dared not look back. TBH after being passed six times on the Sugarloaf down hill you were chasing a man trying to prove something to himself. :)

Yeah, I followed you right down and was getting closer till I fell at the end. That's part and parcel of hill running though, and I was beaten by the better man. But the fast downhills come with experience, and I daresay you'll have covered your Achilles heel in time for the next race:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

There is a reason why goats have 4 legs and sharp hooves... ;)

• Advertisement

11 wtg day 3

10 miles just under 72mins, 7:11 min/mile pace.

The knock I got on the knee at Howth is still sore, and I've been busy workwise, so it was easy for me to take one, two, and even three days rest. However, I logged onto the 1000 mile challenge to find myself ousted from the top 10 by bazman, so in a frantic show of umbrage:o, I grabbed my rain jacket and went out into what was a wet and windy day.
    The first few miles went sharpish enough, as my legs felt good after the race. Ran on a backroad loop, with a few small hills thrown in (I can remember when this course included what I used to call The Big Hill!), and I kept the pace steady enough through the puddles and gusts: happy enough with how this one went.

11 wtg day 4

7.2 miles, including 10x120m-200m uphill strides.

Set out to do a 6 miler, and when I hit the first hill I strode up it, ran to another hill, sped up it, etc, all the way round the course. I'd say I was going 90% effort on the strides, lungs were burning at the end of each one. Interesting to note my recovery pace between them was often hitting 7:20 pace, and how relatively easy that felt.

11 wtg day 5

16.5 miles in 2:15, ave pace 8:10 min/mile.

I HIT THE FRIGGIN' WALL!

This long slow run was very ill-prepared- a bottle of wine from yesterday was gurgling in my tummy all night, I didn't hydrate enough before setting out, had no fuel or drink with me as I ran. The intention was to get in 17 or 18 miles, and the course was one of the more hill laden that I run.

First few miles went grand, although last nights wine forced me to make a pitstop 4 miles in, and I held back about 8:10 pace (PMP+20%). Sped up a bit around halfway, wanting to run at PMP+10%, and found myself bounding along with no problems. So I decided to throw in a few extra climbs, in order to extend the milage a bit. No problem with the elevations, and by 14 miles in I decided to go for 18, so started to double back a bit to lengthen the run.
    The legs were starting to feel tired now, I was thirsty, hamstrings were getting tight, but I persevered. Then-BAM!- 15 miles in and I was finding it really hard to maintain pace. By 16 I was crawling along, and I had to stop. My body felt icy, there was no power in the legs... I had hit the wall, stupidly because I had no food or drink. I struggled to walk the remaining half mile home, and have been sugaring up since.

The purpose of the long runs is to gradually push further out when you hit the wall (run out of carbs), so having this experience this early in the training program is not too worrying, but I don't want to go through it again, and will take gels and drink with me on LSR's in future.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back. I got used to the 10k training program, where you didn't have to worry too much about pre-hydration, a good nights sleep, or bringing fuel. I had forgotten how difficult the longer runs were, and that you had to take them seriously. Lesson learned for me! No more drinking (alcohol) the night before a long run.

Great pace all the same! You should learn to feed from the land, and you'd be fine. :D

You should learn to feed from the land, and you'd be fine. :D

Wipes sweat from brow, curses lack of berries in January, outsprints ewe desperately trying to stop her newborn lambs from being eaten...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Your body will have learnt a lesson though. I run a few of my LSRs un-fuelled on this theory:
    Finally, (and this is optional) a great way to ensure that you will deplete your carbohydrate stores on these long, steady runs is to not eat any carbohydrates immediately before or during the run. Any carbohydrates ingested will be used by the body for fuel, and we don't want this. We want to deny the body carbohydrates in these runs so that the muscles will become better at sparing the carbohydrate stores, more efficient at burning fat and used to running with lowered blood glucose levels. Now, many people think I'm crazy when I say this, but it works. It takes time to get adjusted to it if you have always been carbing up before and during your long runs, but with time and practice you can do it. I will note, however, that it is important to drink water and electrolytes throughout these runs so that you don't get dehydrated. I also recommend carrying an energy gel with you just in case you run into trouble (like taking a wrong turn, having to run longer than expected and getting a little woozy).

Link here

Might not feel like it but your body will now store a lot more glycogen to avoid that happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The luxury of it all.. wining and dining on a Thursday evening :) Strike this run down as a lesson learned. You're getting the miles in though which is the important thing and for a few days at least you're notionally ahead of me on the 1,000 mile challenge (which you should be in the long run - pardon the pun - as the P&D mileage tops HH any day).

Your body will have learnt a lesson though. I run a few of my LSRs un-fuelled on this theory:

Link here

Might not feel like it but your body will now store a lot more glycogen to avoid that happening again.

Yeah, I was somewhat aware of this, thanks for the link. It's all about pushing your body a bit further each time. No pain, no gain, right?:)

Got in 5 mile recovery tonight, 44 mins. Felt dead starting off, 10 min mile, but by the last two I was motoring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You're some man getting that recovery run in the same day as your 'hit the wall' run... Very well done. You certainly helped motivate me on my run today, so thanks for that.

You're some man getting that recovery run in the same day as your 'hit the wall' run... Very well done. You certainly helped motivate me on my run today, so thanks for that.

Glad I could help! To be fair, it wasn't like I hit the wall at 18 during the marathon and struggled through the remaining 8: I just stopped when the legs turned to jelly and walked the quarter mile home. Had a nap and felt like stretching the legs in the eve:)

But on that note, so often when I'm doing a hard run, will I think of what someone has posted here, or the 1000 mile challenge, or info I've gotten through Boards. Didn't have that comraderie on my first two marathons; its great to have it now.

• Advertisement

11 wtg day 7

10 miles in 84 mins.

There was nothing in the legs this morning, no power at all. Woke up feeling as if I had a cold coming on, but laced up and went out early, intending 13, but was sweating a lot so turned back after 5 miles out. I think my body is telling me something after three hard training weeks, I think I need to have a "step-back" week and quieten down the pace/distance over the next few days. IMRA race at the weekend, so the timing is right to have a mini-taper.

10 wtg day 1
    Rest day. Felt very run down, thought I might have a cold coming on.

10 wtg day 2

8 miles including 10x100m strides, total 55:54, ave pace 6:59/mile.

I really didn't know what sort of session this would be, as I'm finding the last three hard weeks catching up on me (and judging by other training logs, many others are feeling this way too. Perhaps we all started training hard after Xmas, and need a collective step back week now?). So I set off intending to do at least 6 miles, and decided to let my body dictate the pace. As it happened, I felt pretty good, and started to throw in a few strides as I ran through the forest. Reached the turn around point averaging 7 min miles, and figured I would slow on the return (slight overall incline), but kept it up and pushed the last mile at 6:35, all the while doing the odd stride, then slight jog, before picking up again.

So the session was a good one, but I'm still going to take it easier this week, just because it seems the cautious thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I know what you mean about the hard weeks finally catching up but I'm not feeling too bad myself, I kind of stepped back last week in quantity but the big thing for me is the recovery runs, I don't know whether you include these enough but I find them to be very helpful

Woddle wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the hard weeks finally catching up but I'm not feeling too bad myself, I kind of stepped back last week in quantity but the big thing for me is the recovery runs, I don't know whether you include these enough but I find them to be very helpful

Yeah Woddle, i include them, but am notorious for doing them wayyy too fast! I'm just starting to cop on to this- 5 mile recovery should be 8:30-9:00 pace, not 7:00-7:30 as I have been doing them. I know the science behind them (basically they set you up for your next hard run), now I need to learn a mantra that Recovery=Slow.

9 wtg day4

15 miles at 6:47 pace

Woke up this morning with a nagging doubt that I had less time to Rotterdam than I thought, and sure enough when I checked I was using the previous weeks schedule! No real problem, but it puts taking a soft week into perspective:rolleyes:

Today was a cold and wet streak of misery outside, so much so that I capitulated and decided to drive to a gym and do some treadmill miles. This would be my first time running inside in a few years, and I had never before ran a treddie looking for a decent pace or distance. So armed with ipod, towel, and water bottle, I started off at a little faster than marathon pace, hoping for 12 @ PMP and then 3 warmdown. The first few miles were ok as it was relatively novel to me, and I found the running v-e-r-y easy. I know there's an issue with calibration and accuracy with treadmills, all I can say is the pace "felt" about right, and I was cosseted with my music, water to hand, towel when I needed it, and- most importantly- no wind, no variable terrain, no gravity, no hills, basically no resistance to anything than might hinder the running form.

By 8 miles in I was starting to tire a little, but nothing too bad, had the zen monotony feeling (or "misplaced boredom"), and kept going to the required 12, (pretty bored by now), then decided to run the last 3 at same pace, speeding up to sub 6 by the time I stopped at 15.

So in summary I got in 15 miles a little faster than my PMP, and could definately have kept going for at least a few more. On the plus side, the "course" resembled more the flatness of Rotterdam, rather than the hills I'm more used too, so using the same set of muscles for a fast long run will have been a good exercise, and I'm happy that I can run at PMP for 15+miles at this stage, but I still feel like I cheated.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Excellent run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

donothoponpop great run but I somehow I don't think you will be satisfied untill you repeat a similar distance outdoors at PMP. That would be a huge confidence booster.

+1. Excellent running. As for the cheating, you ran faster than PMP, so it all equals out in the end. You'll also have the scenery, fellow participants, cheering crowds and taper to push you on to faster and greater things. Does that help? ;)

Abhainn wrote: »
    donothoponpop great run but I somehow I don't think you will be satisfied untill you repeat a similar distance outdoors at PMP. That would be a huge confidence booster.

Yeah, you're spot on there. A bit of a problem with my judging pace is I do most, if not all, of my training on hills, and/or trails, which can skew pace judgements (albeit better for my training, so no complaints!).

I need to try a PMP run on the flat, might try to get up to Dublin next week and find a flat course.

• Advertisement

+1. Excellent running. As for the cheating, you ran faster than PMP, so it all equals out in the end. You'll also have the scenery, fellow participants, cheering crowds and taper to push you on to faster and greater things. Does that help? ;)

Cheers Krusty, there's a "raceday" boost to factor in, thats for sure! However, as Abhainn said, I'll just have to repeat that run outdoors in order to convince myself.

Advertisement