Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

^
    Absolutely amazing that one person's mercy could arguably be responsible for the death's of nine million people. Incredible.

Anyway back on track. Here is a link to some, really interesting ones there.

Fallout cloud above the Japanese city of Nagasaki, 20 minutes after the atomic bombing in 1945.
    awesome4.jpg

German air raid on Moscow, 1941
    awesomeJ.jpg

Contrails above London after dogfight between british and german aircraft. September 1940
    awesome5.jpg

Benjamin, the last Tasmanian Tiger, at Beaumaris Zoo in 1933
    awesome6.jpg

A shell shocked reindeer as World War II planes drop bombs, by Yevgeny Khaldei, Mourmansk, Russia, 1941
    awesome7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Remember the title of the thread

Photo that shook the world (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Photos, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Three women

Amanda Berry, 26, went missing in 2003 when she was 16
    Gina DeJesus, 23, disappeared when she was aged 14 in 2004
    Michelle Knight, 32, disappeared in 2000 when she was 20

db51884948.JPG
    amanda-berry.jpg

and a young girl believed to be one of the womens daughter, found alive after 10 years when man hears them screaming from neighbours house.

article-2320519-19A70230000005DC-758_634x417.jpg
    Reunited: Amanda Berry (centre) at the Cleveland Hospital alongside her emotional sister (left) and the daughter that she gave birth to during the 10 years she was held against her will

article-2320519-19A6E521000005DC-620_634x435.jpg
    House held captive in.

Held captive by
    article-2320519-19A750F3000005DC-195_306x423.jpg
    The prime suspect has been identified as 52-year-old Ariel Castro
    and his 2 brothers.

article-2320519-19A84173000005DC-609_634x421.jpg

found alive after neighbour hears screamin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320519/Amanda-Berry-Gina-DeJesus-Michelle-Knight-Cleveland-Girls-tied-basement-TEN-YEARS-escaping-3-brothers-arrested.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/amanda-berry-gina-dejesus_n_3226112.html#slide=2419354
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/07/missing-women-found-cleveland-ohio-live (rolling timeline at the minute)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Oldham riots...say no more

_1296007_walterface150.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Amazing quote from the above interview, maybe not suitable for this thread

WyqAv5Z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

9372-1650x1080.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Hello folks.

Posts removed containing chat. The pic in question has been re-instated as we discuss behind the scenes the best way to keep everyone happy here. Please lets get back to the topic at hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IMAGEN-12781622-2.jpg

IMAGEN-12781623-2.png

IMAGEN-12781624-2.jpg

IMAGEN-12781625-2.jpg

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/escaped-colombian-caught-surgery-article-1.1337122?localLinksEnabled=false

Giovanni Rebolledo — sentenced in 2012 to 60 years in prison for kidnapping, robbery and extortion — became ‘Rosalinda’ and was working as a prostitute when police spotted him.
    The group allegedly used beautiful women to seduce wealthy men into coming home with them.

Once under the gang's control, the men would be tortured with electric shocks into handing over bank cards, pin numbers and other valuables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Spoiler? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Three women

Held captive by
    article-2320519-19A750F3000005DC-195_306x423.jpg
    and his 2 brothers.

Huey from the fun lovin criminals???

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Spoiler? Really?
    That chick is actually a dude

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

03_img_02891.jpg?w=735

Two victims amid the rubble of a garment factory building collapse in Savar, near Dhaka, Bangladesh

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Hope this hasn't been posted.
    Its video and audio recording of Mission control during the columbia space shuttles re-entry.
    You can feel the emotion in the room when the shuttle stops responding.
    Its very tempting the skip to the end but I strongly suggest watching the whole thing.

This puts a bit more perspective on how everyone at mission control must have been feeling at the time
    Throughout the risk assessment process, senior NASA managers were influenced by their belief that nothing could be done even if damage were detected. This affected their stance on investigation urgency, thoroughness and possible contingency actions. They decided to conduct a parametric "what-if" scenario study more suited to determine risk probabilities of future events, instead of inspecting and assessing the actual damage. The investigation report in particular singled out NASA manager Linda Ham for exhibiting this attitude.[17] In 2013, Hale recalled that Director of Mission Operations John Harpold told him before Columbia's destruction:
    You know, there is nothing we can do about damage to the TPS. If it has been damaged it's probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?
    Hale added, "I was hard pressed to disagree [at the time]. That mindset was widespread. Astronauts agreed. So don't blame an individual; look for the organizational factors that lead to that kind of a mindset. Don't let them in your organization."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Any chance of getting rid of the spoiler plz? so frustrating wtf :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

hoody wrote: »
    http://timethemoment.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/03_img_02891.jpg?w=735

Two victims amid the rubble of a garment factory building collapse in Savar, near Dhaka, Bangladesh

Link here

Oh wow...that is so so sad :( I really hope they weren't alive for too long under that rubble. Can't imagine what those last moments would have been like :(

It reminds me of the Lovers of Valdaro

pompeii.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Some good news for a Friday...

17 days after the factory collapse in Bangladesh, a woman is pulled alive from the rubble

article-2322391-19B67A9E000005DC-37_964x616.jpg

article-2322391-19B6713B000005DC-43_964x637.jpg

article-2322391-19B69CE2000005DC-350_470x423.jpg

Speaking from her hospital bed in Dhaka, she said: 'It was so bad for me. I never dreamed I'd see the daylight again.'

Reshma, a seamstress, says she survived by eating dried food that was in her area and drinking spare amounts of water with her.
    She was discovered on the second floor of the eight-story Rana Plaza building, where crews have been focused on recovering bodies, not rescuing survivors, for much of the past two weeks.
    'I heard voices of the rescue workers for the past several days. I kept hitting the wreckage with sticks and rods just to attract their attention,' she told the private Somoy TV from her hospital bed as doctors and nurses milled about, giving her saline and checking her condition.
    'No one heard me. It was so bad for me. I never dreamed I'd see the daylight again,' she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

EF5 Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. At least 50 dead so far, and a massive section of the town is just gone:

aqL1wiT.jpg

p6UeLxW.jpgkdEz0Nu.jpg

PlpRbWS.jpg

Rajeloj.jpg

And the monster itself:
    x1ryCUp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Is it not an EF4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Dunny wrote: »
    Is it not an EF4?

Not sure. It was reported as an EF5 at one point, shortly before I made my post.

Either way, this has the potential to be as bad as Joplin in terms of casualties and many times worse in terms if destruction.

Found this which gives an idea how quickly this formed and grew:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Imagine coming back to your house and seeing this.

"Looks fine from the outside! F**k"

s_t11_0RTXZPN5.jpg

How about a first-person perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

This video is amazing. These guys are wreckless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

0006d294-642.jpg

Not a photo that shook the world but certainly shook one town and resulted in the deaths of two teenagers.

Geraldine O'Reilly, 15, who was on her Christmas holidays from school, had got a lift into Belturbet in her brother's car to buy chips. The explosion occured while she was in the shop, waiting to be served. She was killed instantly, her brother seriously injured.

Paddy Stanley, 16, was also on his Christmas holidays from school in Clara, Co Offaly. He had taken a holiday job as a helper on a Calor gas delivery lorry.
    While making a delivery in Belturbet there was a problem with the lorry and the driver decided they should stay in Belturbet overnight. When the bomb exploded, Paddy was in the public phone kiosk on Main Street, trying to telephone his parents to tell them he would not be home.He too was killed instantly.

No one was ever charged in connection with the bombing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

<snip>

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it fits in with the shocking images from the tornado devastation...

Mod: No, it doesn't.

Advertisement