Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

8-year-old Boston bombing victim Martin Richard.

420941_645433782152745_1510563100_n.jpg

I know this isn't a "shocking" picture of the event itself but this photo has been seen all around the world over the past 24 hours and the poignancy of the sign Martin is holding makes his death all the more sadder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

249944.jpg

249945.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

>>> Snipo <<<<<<<<

>>>>> >>> >>> . SniP< <<<< <<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

>>>>> s n i p <<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The devastation was very similar:
    4vWMsZE.jpg
    gwjWvEl.jpg
    njkINFD.jpg
    5A1MDiu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Boston bomb where the little kid got killed brought back my memories of these 2 poor lads who were killed by the IRA in Warrington in 1993.

250005.jpg

They are Johnathan Ball aged 3 and Tim Parry aged 12. As a young Irish teenager at the time I felt so much shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I will never condone the killing of civilians by any army or force, especially children, and I am not sticking these up as a sick form of tit for tat, killing children is the most disgusting thing anyone could ever do in my eyes, regardless of their "cause" or "orders"!

But these are the children killed by the RUC and British Army with plastic bullets and other weapons solely for being Catholics in Belfast.

Francis Rowntree, aged 11 41121285.jpg

Stephen Geddis, aged 10
    plasticbulletspicture7.jpg

Brian Stewart, aged 13
    plasticbulletspicture1.jpg

Julie Livingston, aged 14
    plasticbulletspicture9.jpg

Carol-Anne Kelly, aged 12
    Kelly_Carol_Ann_220581.jpg

These are only a few. Sorry the pictures are so bad, the best pictures of them are pictures of the murals painted of them down different Catholic/Nationalist areas of Belfast. I just cannot understand how any fully grown man/woman of a trained armed force could look through the sight of their gun and pull a trigger knowing these were only children!

Both sides of the struggle have a lot to answer for with the innocent people they killed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cdoTOEq.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

HMS_Conqueror_%28S48%29.jpg

HMS Conqueror returning home after the Falklands War, flying a Jolly Roger to indicate a successful attack on enemy shipping.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sNIP <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

"A Hockey Dad Breastfeeds His Two Year Old Son"

Photo%2525202012-02-29%2525201%25253A50%252520AM.jpg

I came across this interesting image by accident. Trevor Mac Donald is a gay trans gender man who has a son that he conceived and delivered naturally. His partner is the biological father. Despite transitioning before becoming pregnant, he has managed to maintain a breastfeeding relationship with his toddler son. Obviously this image isn't "earth shaking" but it certainly presents a number of taboos, gender identity and transition, gay parenting and extended breastfeeding (feeding beyond two years old.)

The Dad, Trevor, is a popular writer and blogger. Here is the article I stumbled across.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/trevor-macdonald/how-i-learned-to-be-a-bre_b_1452392.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

That kid will grow up to be a normal person, said no one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    That kid will grow up to be a normal person, said no one ever.

As normal as the other 6-7 billion weirdo's on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

There are many photos too horrific to post (or even to link to) here. People can research more on it themselves if they so wish.

Poor kids suffering because of evil war mongers and companies like Dow Chemical and Monsanto.

250310.jpg250311.jpg250312.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Worztron wrote: »

Poor kids suffering because of evil war mongers and companies like Dow Chemical and Monsanto.
    Organic pollutants poison the roof of the world

Cancer is primarily an environmental disease with 90–95% of cases attributed to environmental factors and 5–10% due to genetics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515569/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cancer is primarily an environmental disease with 90–95% of cases attributed to environmental factors and 5–10% due to genetics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515569/
    Stopped reading that when they dragged up
    mobile phones and power lines cause cancer

There is no accepted biological mechanism to explain the epidemiological results; indeed, the relation may be due to chance or confounding.
    - In this update of a large nationwide cohort study of mobile phone use, there were no increased risks of tumours of the central nervous system, providing little evidence for a causal association.

And besides atmospheric oxygen can be considered as an important environmental mutagen

3Wz4BAf.jpg

Back in it's day this was just another ad, only became shocking in hindsight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lanyard

Green_Howards.jpg

The above painting shows Henry Tandey carrying a wounded soldier at Ypres. Henry was the most decorated enlisted British soldier of WW1, receiving both the Victoria Cross and Distinguished Conduct Medal. Now this painting may not have shook the world but it did make a lasting impression on a young Adolf Hitler who saw the picture in a newspaper report of Henry receiving his Victoria Cross in 1918. Hitler immediately recognised him as the person who saved his life!

Adolf Hitler and Tandey encountered each other after the battle at Marcoing. According to Tandey, as the Germans were retreating, a wounded German man limped into his line of fire. He stated, “I took aim, but couldn’t shoot a wounded man, so I let him go.” The German soldier saw him lower his rifle and nodded his thanks before wandering off.

It was reported that Hitler highly regarded Tandey and his decision to spare his life. So much so that Hitler acquired a large copy of the above painting and hung it up at his mountaintop residence at Berchtesgaden - the eagles nest. He proudly showed of the painting to British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain when he visited Hitler’s Berghof residence in 1938. When Chamberlain asked about the painting Hitler said, “That man came so near to killing me that I thought I should never see Germany again. . . .”

Upon learning the wounded man’s identity years later, Tandey remarked, “If only I had known what he would turn out to be. When I saw all the people, women and children, he had killed and wounded I was sorry to God I let him go.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Tandey

Advertisement