Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

They are full metal jacket and the are intact if they had being fired at anything the bullet (the top half would have separated from the bottom half so someone is lying those bullets have not been fired at her house

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Dead_owner_dog.jpg

A video of a similar event
    This story really gets to me everytime. It's no wonder they call dogs 'mans best friend'...

97 pages...and this is the one that has stayed with me the most. There is more humanity, love and tenderness in this picture than in so many of the others that have been posted. :(

I'm going to add to the thread as well:

The sinking of the Lusitania in 1915:

lusitania3.jpg

Seabiscuit - the horse that gave America hope during the depression: (and now I'm off to watch the movie again!)

seabiscuit-cp-1187839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The Assassination of William McKinley

545px-McKinley_last_photo.jpg

McKinley arrives at the Temple of Music, shortly before being shot by Leon Czolgosz.
    Sept. 6th, 1901.

william-mckinley-casket.jpg

The mortally wounded president lingered for a week, finally succumbing to blood poisoning on September 14.

william-mckinley-czolgosz.jpg

Jurors pronounced Czolgosz guilty and sentenced him to death by electrocution on October 29, 1901.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_William_McKinley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Red Army soldier marches a German soldier into captivity at Stalingrad

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E0406-0022-011%2C_Russland%2C_deutscher_Kriegsgefangener.jpg

Stalingrad was one of the bloodiest battles in the history of warfare. Many soliders froze to death or starved during the freezing Russian winter. His face tells it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Not sure if this was done yet, but this picture always stirs emotion in me:

http://d284656.u38.hosting.digiweb.ie/img/2008/11/16/columnists/paul-williams/jerry-mc-cabe.jpg

jerry-mc-cabe.jpg

There's something very heroic about this photo of that handsome, honourable, patriotic Irishman, detective Garda Jerry McCabe. He bravely sacrificed the only possesion that was truly his for the sake of us Irish people. Even in death he looks like a leader, ready, clean and upright. You will never be dead to Ireland Jerry, RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Probably photoshopped pic of bin laden dead.

bin-laden-dead-2011bin-laden-deadbin-laden-killedladen-dead-or-aliveladen-deadosama-bin-laden-bodyosama-bin-laden-body-foundosama-bin-laden-body-703725.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

beanie. wrote: »
    Probably photoshopped pic of bin laden dead.

bin-laden-dead-2011bin-laden-deadbin-laden-killedladen-dead-or-aliveladen-deadosama-bin-laden-bodyosama-bin-laden-body-foundosama-bin-laden-body-703725.jpg

That was proved fake, its a bad 'shop in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Can't believe some newspapers published such a blatent photoshop...
    all the faker did was place a badly pixelated beard on a dead mans face...
    1dygc.jpg
    also it on Gulf news :o
    2350006756.jpg

Helicopter
    The helicopter which crashed due to "Mechanical Failure" during the operation.
    chopper-682_1302996a.jpg
    ?m=02&d=20110502&t=2&i=401887512&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2011-05-02T130627Z_01_BTRE74110F700_RTROPTP_0_BINLADEN
    pb-110502-osama-compound-2.photoblog900.jpg
    800xxr.jpg

The Compound
    cia-compound1_1303129a.jpg
    110502_Osama_compound_4.jpg

Americans Celebrating
    in the early hours at Ground Zero. America Fu€k Yeah!
    osama_013.jpg
    and the white house
    celebration02_1302873a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The White House watching the attack on bin Laden as it happens.

White-House-watches-bin-Laden-2-630x420.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

The BP Oil Disaster: DeepWater Horizon

DeepwaterHorizonFire4-22-10.jpg

DeepwaterHorizonBuringandGoingdo-2.jpg

• Advertisement

mona-lisa.jpg

dclane wrote: »
    the reason I've always found this painting odd is its lack of eyebrows... found out later that experts xrayed the painting and apparently they are there but were painted over in restoration work

The downfall of Fianna Fail!

brian-cowen-drunk-360x480.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The 5th Solvay Conference in Belgium, which brought together the greatest minds of the last century including Einstein, Curie, Schroedinger, Bohr, Heisenberg, Planck, Dirac, Pauli, Lorentz, Born, etc. The majority of the twenty-nine attendees are Nobel Prize winners.

the-minds-that-saw-god.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

http://media.skysurvey.org/interactive360/index.html

This is the largest true color photograph of the night sky ever created. It was shot by first time astro-photographer, Nick Risinger, a 28-year-old from Seattle. This is not just one view of the night sky but a 360-panorama composed from 37,000 individual photographs, taken by Risinger during his 60,000 mile trek across the western United States and South Africa.

VietnamGirl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

laros wrote: »
    http://media.skysurvey.org/interactive360/index.html

This is the largest true color photograph of the night sky ever created. It was shot by first time astro-photographer, Nick Risinger, a 28-year-old from Seattle. This is not just one view of the night sky but a 360-panorama composed from 37,000 individual photographs, taken by Risinger during his 60,000 mile trek across the western United States and South Africa.

Genuinely mindblowing, i see pics like that and I have no concept of how tiny we are or how the hell we're here.cant comprehend distance, the size of the universe, nothing.

Earth is the same as one of them tiny dots...and in all of them dots are we really the only place that could sustain some sort of life? has to be plants or something somewhere in all of that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

df1985 wrote: »
    Genuinely mindblowing, i see pics like that and I have no concept of how tiny we are or how the hell we're here.cant comprehend distance, the size of the universe, nothing.

Earth is the same as one of them tiny dots...and in all of them dots are we really the only place that could sustain some sort of life? has to be plants or something somewhere in all of that....

Not to be too pedantic, but each of those dots is far, far larger than Earth. Each is either a close star or a distant galaxy, with the exception of the local planets. Amongst the hundreds of trillions of stars with hundreds of billions of planets in the habitable zone, it would really be something if ours were the only one with talking hydrogen. As always, Carl Sagan says it best.

bp3.jpg
    Demonstrators shout slogans and hold banners as they take part in May Day rally in downtown Lisbon on May 1, 2011. In Portugal, tens of thousands marched in protest at austerity measures expected to be imposed under the terms of a European Union and International Monetary Fund bailout plan. (Patricia De Melo Moriera/AFP/Getty Images)

May Day - set of 39 photos of various protest around the world
    usually a day to commemorate workers and workers rights, usually marked with protests every year, just dosn't seem well recieved her but is prevelant in may country's. (also Note the few of protests where tens of thousands marched in Portugal against sanctions for the EU bailout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

A lot of the photo's here I have read of before/ seen on tv, Rwanda, Jonestown, Dunblane, etc. Though some of the pics I put up are mentioned before, I have not seen these particular photos.

IRA Bomb in Hyde Park 1982, I know there was humans killed, but when I saw these images as a child, they really shook me!

_38514407_horses238.jpg

hydepark1982.jpg

Miami Showband Massacre 1975. A UVF and UDR (army regiment) killing

miami+showband+2.jpg

Dublin and Monaghan bombings 1974. UVF and suspected British Army involvement.

DMBombDevastation.jpg

The 4 O'Briens are a husband, wife and there toddler and infant!

1972233_9ac67a54.jpg
    Columbine Shooting 1999
    This really is upsetting, not the image itself, though it is heartbreaking, but the story with the picture, the boy dead on the ground is Dan Rohrbough. His father ran around to every building being used to house students after the shooting. He could not find his son anywhere, the morning after the shooting, he opens the newspaper and sees this picture, this is how he finds out his son died! Left on the pavement like rubbish and without even a sheet over him during the night to stop him being exposed to the elements!

115307d1262035204-columbine-high-school-shooting-daniel_rohrbough_columbine.jpg

Now less depressing things

The Liger, a product of science

liger.jpg

A lioness and a Oryx calf

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGlJJMMJQtrSBptD62Tv4z8ij4XttgMKxyj7-EotqveX3LMLvs3w&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    A lioness and a Oryx calf

I was reading about this phenomena recently. I think this lioness in particular in one of the Safari parks in SA. A lioness is not a particular good mother to calves - lions sleep most of the days, so some of the calf were dying of hunger. In a few cases the Oryx's mother succeeded in getting the calf back. It looks unusual/cool... but not really good for the calf :o:rolleyes::o

Some very interesting photos here, retro photos. They are no explanations given to any of the photos, I am posting just a few of them.

cool-retro-photos02.jpg

cool-retro-photos03.jpg

cool-retro-photos08.jpg

cool-retro-photos09.jpg

cool-retro-photos14.jpg

cool-retro-photos16.jpg

cool-retro-photos33.jpg

cool-retro-photos36.jpg

Her smile is sickening :mad::mad:
    cool-retro-photos45.jpg

cool-retro-photos46.jpg

I presume these are some of the Jacksons
    cool-retro-photos65.jpg

Does anyone know whose death this is related to - James Dean or the Monaco one... And then it might not be anyone famous.

cool-retro-photos52.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Morlar wrote: »
    I remember seeing the videos of one of those years ago, if I recall correctly. the scary part of the footage is that the brutal murder which took about 10 minutes to complete was all filmed about 8 feet from a motorway. The world would be a slightly better place if those animals were put to sleep imo.

hanging-kitty.jpg

by far the worst thing I have ever seen on the internet....worst then any beheading etc.

Cannot believe what they did, watched the video and lasted 35 seconds before I nearly puked....

Honest to god...the worst thing I ever seen.....I really wish I could unsee this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Queen-Mise wrote:

I think that might be a picture of Bikini atoll where the US did lots of nuclear bomb testing on derelict ships. All the native islanders had to move off the island later because of the radiation.
    Queen-Mise wrote:

Again, not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that the actual story behind this was that the policeman is trying to hold the dog back and move the black guy away from the dog - but it looks more sinister in this picture.

Great pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Some very interesting photos here, retro photos. They are no explanations given to any of the photos, I am posting just a few of them.

http://www.smilorama.com/img/retro/cool-retro-photos/cool-retro-photos02.jpg
    I could be way off but I think I saw that one in a journalistic collection on the North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Ludwig Wittgenstein; the one and only.
    Ludwig_Wittgenstein_by_Ben_Richards.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

Gator wrote: »
    hanging-kitty.jpg

by far the worst thing I have ever seen on the internet....worst then any beheading etc.

Cannot believe what they did, watched the video and lasted 35 seconds before I nearly puked....

Honest to god...the worst thing I ever seen.....I really wish I could unsee this
    Is there any wiki page so i can read the story?

cheers

Advertisement