Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Just some more pics

334243-pn-japan-tsunami.jpg

img_606X341_1303-japan-eartquake-tsunami-Miyako.jpg

743599-japan-tsunami-aerial-140311.jpg

10,000 missing so far. God help them.

It's the scariest thing when you see statistics like, "10,000 people are surely dead - the population is 17,000". That's pretty much a whole entire town completely wiped off the face of the Earth in a matter of minutes possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

traincarswreck.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hogzy wrote: »
    But that wouldnt explain all the earth being split below it. I highly doubt all that earth was dug up to build a path.

I am probably not explaining that right, but if it were due to road resurfacing wouldnt just the tarmac crack and not all the earth below it?

Yes it would be, and its a road, not a path. Depending on the traffic its expected to take, the softness of the ground below it (and hence the foundation reqd), and pipes/cables etc. that may have been lain beneath the road, they may have had to dig up to 8 feet below the road surface level.
    That is exactly what happened in this situation. The road would have been done one lane at a time, with temporary traffic lights controlling traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 murfinsurfin

What is even sadder than the pictures coming from Japan is the news that the scumbag hedge funds are making money from it. They are betting on the situation getting worse by causing the stock market to crash. These are the same scum that keep dropping Ireland's ratings, they don't care how much suffering they cause as long as they can make a profit from it. Wouldn't it be lovely if we could put them on a big bus, then drive it over the Cliffs of Moher, or as I call it, a bloody great start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

2012_03_houseinpacific2.jpg

photo taken from the U.S navy ship USS Ronald Reagan miles out at sea two days after the earthquake/tsunami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

00020332-314.jpg&sa=X&ei=KmCDTanOJdSbhQePjrCtBA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEuxUrXxaf3JMGBKSSCLe5ECn1ttg

0000c1f0-314.jpg&sa=X&ei=P2CDTbjjGs6DhQeM4eHFBA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEBCIGly6S02cTiLPY-KogDtCbd5g

1411-newartan_l_231762t.jpg&sa=X&ei=U2CDTfizGc6ChQfhtLW_BA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH7mHhx6zKPNUAEE2mApMbcYveVTA

225429225_db14e2b160.jpg&sa=X&ei=ZGCDTZq6FsawhQfgpPXDBA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFAw_WLk2SnKBzKV9Xno0kvMY1E3A

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyN4-f0SHGfnVC_Q0nvXAG6RrBClTZyKi0F68WXJOrXhXFKyxutg

3220044195_c4f05f6185.jpg%3Fv%3D1235079654&sa=X&ei=vGCDTYPJL8mXhQfW9fTDBA&ved=0CAQQ8wc4hQE&usg=AFQjCNHDQJoKno6T7LyeCTLS4pX7kVR8zg

In Memory of

Michael Barrett, Raheny, Dublin 5.

Richard Bennett, Coolock, Dublin 5

Carol Bissett, Ringsend, Dublin 4.

James Buckley, Donnycarney, Dublin 5.

Paula Byrne, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Caroline Carey, Coolock, Dublin 5.

John Colgan, Swords, Co. Dublin.

Jacqueline Croker, Killmore West, Dublin 5.

Liam Dunne, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Michael Farrell, Coolock, Dublin 5.

David Flood, Beaumount, Dublin 5.

Thelma Frazer, Sandymount, Dublin 4.

Michael French, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Josephine Glenn, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Michael Griffiths, Killmore, Dublin 5.

Robert Hillock, Twinbrook, Belfast.

Brian Hobbs, Whitehall, Dublin 9.

Eugene Hogan, Artane, Dublin 5.

Murtagh Kavanagh, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Martina Keegan, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Mary Keegan, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Robert Kelly, Raheny, Dublin 5.

Mary Kennedy, Killbarrack, Dublin 5.

Mary Kenny, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Margaret Kiernan, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Sandra Lawless, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Francis Lawlor, Finglas, Dublin 11.

Maureen Lawlor, Finglas, Dublin 11.

Paula Lewis, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Eamon Loughman, Beaumont, Dublin 9.

George McDermott Raheny, Dublin 5.

Marcella McDermott, Raheny, Dublin 5.

William McDermott, Raheny, Dublin 5.

Julie McDonnell, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Teresa McDonnell, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Gerard McGrath, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Caroline McHugh, Artane, Dublin 5.

Donna Mahon, Raheny, Dublin 5.

Helena Mangan, Coolock,

James Millar, Twinbrook, Belfast.

Susan Morgan, Derry.

David Morton, Artane, Dublin 5.

Kathleen Muldoon Kells, Co. Meath.

George O'Conner, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Brendan O'Meara Coolock, Dublin 5.

John Stout, Coolock, Dublin 5.

Margaret Thornton, Dublin 8.

Paul Wade, Artane, Dublin 5.

and not forgeting the 215 injured...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Born two days before that fire, named Gavin Eugene after my mothers cousin who died that terrible night,
    Eugene Hogan, Artane, Dublin 5

RIP all who perished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

vietnam_20soldier.jpg

4410641002_372316b30a_z.jpg?zz=1

A-young-British-soldier-007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Not the exact picture that I was looking for but it's similar. The first picture that I remember being upset by was a picture of a man walking by an abandoned baby in the streets of China. :(

babies-abandoned-1-300x225.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Jesus Christ! That's probably one of the most depressing photos I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

mixednuts wrote: »
    Stardust

Scary, I could only imagine what that was like at the time. I live around the corner from the Stardust site (Butterly business park). All those people nearly all from the area.

My Dad says the whole area was just torn apart as nearly everyone knew of someone who had perished. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Chicago Chick

Moving and shocking photos. It is so terrible what people go through all the time and it seems like a lot of it is cause by humanity. Think most of the shocking pictures I can think of have already been posted.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

1968 wrote: »
    4. emmetttill6.jpg

you might have seen about this boy's grave being desecrated

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/13/emmett-tills-old-casket-m_n_231103.html
    CHICAGO — When his mother put the battered body of 14-year-old Emmett Till in the ground more than 50 years ago, it was supposed to be the end of a sad saga for the boy whose lynching became a rallying point for the civil rights movement.

But even in death, Till cannot rest. Four years after his body was exhumed as part of an investigation, his original glass-topped casket has been found in a rusty shed at a suburban cemetery where workers are accused of digging up and dumping hundreds of bodies in a scheme to resell the burial plots.

The casket, which was seen by mourners around the world in 1955, was surrounded by garbage and old headstones. When authorities opened it, a family of possums scampered out.

"There is no rest for Emmett," Ollie Gordon, a cousin, said Monday. "It was turmoil when they exhumed his body, and now we are put in turmoil because we might have to exhume again."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

3 hours, page 94.

Epic. Thread.

Yes, I have no life.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Wow, what a thread. Thanks to all who posted (so far). A sobering and reflective view of humanity. Reminds me of what my Ma says; no matter how bad things seem, there is always someone in a worse place. Puts a lot of things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Burner- wrote: »

That image of the road already repaired and reopened is amazing.
    Terrible tragedy but the Japanese are such intelligent strong willed people .

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

http://totallycoolpix.com/2010/12/best-pictures-of-the-decade-the-noughties/

NSFW
    (some pictures show dead people and animals, and other generally unpleasant things).

Some amazing pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

triseke wrote: »
    http://totallycoolpix.com/2010/12/best-pictures-of-the-decade-the-noughties/

NSFW
    (some pictures show dead people and animals, and other generally unpleasant things).

Some amazing pics.

truly amazing collection there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The Kill Team photos.

"During the first five months of last year, a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan went on a shooting spree, killing at least four unarmed civilians and mutilating several of the corpses. The “kill team” – members of the 5th Stryker Brigade stationed near Kandahar – took scores of photos chronicling their kills and their time in Afghanistan." - Rolling Stone

Warning - Extremely graphic and disturbing photos

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/31ac84de754efdb4b454db0b56d9478c9dba3fb9.jpg

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/93a1f89d75968aabcc96c095bc4f2a73eda158f7.jpg

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/5f86669c5dfbe1198edaadc963d95485f05b7876.jpg

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/a051793232dae23099afdaada2f5990ce6d8cfc0.jpg

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/96e55ed3e161838d355072454d053ec46dbb35a5.jpg

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/2987ea1af8a9d92f58e8f0414f47fef28ea44f78.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/photos/the-kill-team-photos-20110327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

i just puked...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Jesus f*cking Christ, what in the name of God is wrong with some people?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

RichieC wrote: »
    i just puked...

Sorry about that, I should have just linked the photos and gave a warning - as one of the mods has now done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Ya know what: **** the American Army. I'm sick reading this story on The Kill Team. This is not the first time something like this has come up. They can rot in hell.
    The poppy plants were still low to the ground at that time of year. The two soldiers, Cpl. Jeremy Morlock and Pfc. Andrew Holmes, saw a young farmer who was working by himself among the spiky shoots. Off in the distance, a few other soldiers stood sentry. But the farmer was the only Afghan in sight. With no one around to witness, the timing was right. And just like that, they picked him for execution.

He was a smooth-faced kid, about 15 years old. Not much younger than they were: Morlock was 21, Holmes was 19. His name, they would later learn, was Gul Mudin, a common name in Afghanistan. He was wearing a little cap and a Western-style green jacket. He held nothing in his hand that could be interpreted as a weapon, not even a shovel. The expression on his face was welcoming. "He was not a threat," Morlock later confessed.

Morlock and Holmes called to him in Pashto as he walked toward them, ordering him to stop. The boy did as he was told. He stood still.

The soldiers knelt down behind a mud-brick wall. Then Morlock tossed a grenade toward Mudin, using the wall as cover. As the grenade exploded, he and Holmes opened fire, shooting the boy repeatedly at close range with an M4 carbine and a machine gun.

Mudin buckled, went down face first onto the ground. His cap toppled off. A pool of blood congealed by his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Ya know what: **** the American Army.

They are not representative of the American Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Don't want to get into an argument about it. But is this kill team sanctioned by the powers that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Clanket wrote: »
    Don't want to get into an argument about it. But is this kill team sanctioned by the powers that be?

They went rogue as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Clanket wrote: »

They weren't, but their officers have a lot to answer for.

Advertisement