Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Clanket wrote: »
    Don't want to get into an argument about it. But is this kill team sanctioned by the powers that be?

No. They are a bunch of psychos who have been outed, invesitgated, put under arrest, and put on trial. IIRC some are facing the death penalty. One of the other soldiers posted about others murdering civilians on facebook and his own father tipped off the army about it which was it seems was criminally slow to respond to the allegations. Five of the soldiers now on trial could face the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

prinz wrote: »
    They are not representative of the American Army.

I know, it was said more in a moment of rage than anything. I understand they do not represent the American Army.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

prinz wrote: »
    No. They are a bunch of psychos who have been outed, invesitgated, put under arrest, and put on trial. IIRC some are facing the death penalty. One of the other soldiers posted about others murdering civilians on facebook and his own father tipped off the army about it which was it seems was criminally slow to respond to the allegations. Five of the soldiers now on trial could face the death penalty.

According to this rolling stone article about the kill team, their actions appear to have been well known about, including to officers who did nothing to stop it. Now the military are going full swing to play down the truth as much as they can.

Shocking behaviour but to be quite honest I am in no way surprised.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-kill-team-20110327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

"Plausible deniability"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Germans-airlift-1948.jpg
    Food arriving for the Berlin when the soviets cut off ground access

berlin_konrad_schuman.jpg
    19-year-old Hans Conrad Schumann, the first border guard to defect on August 15, 1961

berlin112opt.jpg
    Secret Police try to stop a woman escaping from the democratic paradise of the East

wall41_opt.jpg
    At 2 a.m. on Aug. 13, 1961, a low, barbed-wire barrier was strung between East and West Berlin, by the 15th the wall begins

hist_berlin_wall.jpg
    at its height, a desolate prison wall

5-01pic2.jpg
    one of the iconic images of the 1980's and the death of communism. 80% of Poland joined the Union. this was the start of the fall of tyranny, started by one man in a shipyard

ronaldreaganevilempire.jpg
    in 1983 Reagan delivers the 'evil empire speech'. although most in the west were embarrassed, in the east no one could believe a US President would say it and the struggle continues. The Kremlin was not impressed

Reagan_and_Gorbachev_hold_discussions.jpg
    Reagan and Gorbachev discuss the end of missiles in Europe. Meanwhile Reagan ramps up 'star wars' to spend the soviet military into oblivion knowing they would try to keep up. 2 russian words everyone know at the time glasnost and perestroika

berlinwall_259026s.jpg
    what no one would have imagined, the wall falls...10 years ealier , you would have been considered insane.

1225_big.gif

The soviet empire falls. Who would have dared thought it would end like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mz Lazy

The Lynching of Young Blacks -

2ik378j.jpg

Che -

166yyjr.jpg

Does anyone else have a really big urge to smack that guy with the mustache pointing at the poor guys hanging??

And on a lighter note, doesn't Che kinda resemble Johnny Knoxville from Jackass ^_^

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts as shaking the world but this series of photos won the Pulitzer Prize for feature photography in 2007.

(The photos of Derek Madsen who passed away from a rare childhood cancer)

I've just spent that last few moments with my head in my hands crying.....

How his mother remained as calm as she could for her son, even in his last moments, has me in awe, she is an amazing woman and I feel so sorry for the pain she and her son endured during his illness

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

ZiMZuM wrote: »
    This was the 1st picture that came to my mind..
    sad.jpg

this has to be the saddest picture i've ever seen, nothing else needs to be said i think...

actually i have just been looking through the thread and have seen many more equally upsetting
    pictures, and us humans are said to be 'civilised', as of now i am ashamed to be a part of
    this 'civilisation'...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

riot.jpg
    rebel-council-seeks-to-transform-libya.jpg

libya_bomb1.jpg
    muammar-gaddafi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am only putting in the link for this picture as it is very upsetting. I have quoted the text for the picture.

http://greatwar.nl/weekpictures/voorpagina97.jpg
    Yes, we know this is an unpleasant sight. But this whole war was very unpleasant - especially for the men who had to fight it. So don't complain if we confront you with their reality.

This is a French medical picture, made on March 31, 1918. The dead man is a French soldier of the 99th Infantry Regt., who was killed by German mustard gas. The gas not only burned his lungs and intoxicated him, but also tore his skin apart.

This is the site it came from: http://www.greatwar.nl/

• Advertisement

That site doesn't appear to be working for me.

This might be the picture?

That site doesn't appear to be working for me.

This might be the picture?

Yep that is the picture alright. Strange link doesn't work - it opens fine for me. Thanks for linking the picture.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Yep that is the picture alright. Strange link doesn't work - it opens fine for me. Thanks for linking the picture.

No worries, it's probably something to do with my laptop/internet connection and there's something somewhere blocking it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Was reading about the Empire State building a few weeks ago when I came across this photo very famous at the time of an Empire State suicide victim from the 1940s, Evelyn McHale (Irish blood, clearly). It was entitled 'The Most Beautiful Suicide'. She looks so serene and strangely demure with her crossed legs. Here's more info: http://kottke.org/08/07/the-most-beautiful-suicide

EDIT: I see someone has already posted it!

evelynmchalea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

^^^
    I remember that picture, can't remember the story behind the woman, but it was very sad. Must google it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

rebel10 wrote: »
    ^^^
    I remember that picture, can't remember the story behind the woman, but it was very sad. Must google it.

It's all in the link there. Really sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

It's all in the link there. Really sad. :(
    :oSorry, was busy looking at the image, didn't see the link, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That's really cool.

Worth a Thousand Words: World’s Best Photos

http://dpshots.com/photo-inspiration/worth-a-thousand-words-worlds-best-photos.html

Here a couple of the photos:

world_press_photos_2009-14.jpg
    Light enters through a hole in the roof of a house hit by a tank shell in Tuffah, northern Gaza. The family that lived in the house had fled during Operation Cast Lead, the Israeli attack on Gaza that began at the end of December 2008. Mohammed Shuhada Ali Ahmed, 39, had gone back to fetch clothes for his children and was killed when the shell struck.

world_press_photos_2009-7.jpg
    Youths smoke crack in Reno, the poorest neighborhood of Guinea-Bissau’s capital city. Crack was unknown in the country before international drug traffickers arrived. Guinea-Bissau has become a hub for cocaine trafficking as South American drug cartels seek new smuggling routes to Europe. With over 100 islands off its coast and a navy with no working boats, Guinea-Bissau offers a haven for drop-offs, storage and movement of cocaine.

world_press_photos_2009-16.jpg
    Gaza being attacked by Israeli forces.

• Advertisement

071018_blog.uncovering.org_fuzilamento-irao.jpg

I don't know if this has been posted, and I know this photo hasn't shook the world, but the reasons behind it do...
    wrote:
    This photograph, distributed by the UPI agency in 1980 was awarded the Pulitzer prize without the identity of his author being known. Shot on August 27th, 1979, it captures the shooting of Kurdish men by soldiers of the Iranian theocratic regime led by Ayatollah Khomeini, at the beginning of the Iranian Revolution that overthrew Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

Reagan_Assassination-300x203.jpg

I'm pretty sure this one hasn't been posted either (although I spent last few days reading through nearly 100 amazing pages of pictures, I could of missed it..)

Here's a quote from the site...
    wrote:
    Ronald Reagan was the 40th President of the United States and on March 30, 1981 just when President Reagan was leaving a speaking engagement at the Washington Hilton Hotel, John Hinkley Jr. fired at President Reagan and other three who were near the President. However, President Reagan survived the assassination attempt and suffered a punctured lung for which he was quickly taken to the hospital where he was provided immediate medical assistance and was saved. However, there was no apparent reason found for the motivation of this assassination as Hinckley was inspired from a Hollywood movie called Taxi Driver where the lead actor tries to assassinate the Senator in order to save a child. However, after that incident President Reagan always preferred to wear a bulletproof jacket and all his meetings and appointments with international ministers were cancelled.

http://urbantitan.com/7-failed-assassinations-attempts-that-shook-the-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

^^ The event has been posted about before. Not sure about the picture.

On the Kurdish Shooting picture, I always get a really strong feeling of helplessness looking at pictures for that. Wishing that Jack Bauer would show up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Queen-Mise wrote: »

world_press_photos_2009-14.jpg
    Light enters through a hole in the roof of a house hit by a tank shell in Tuffah, northern Gaza. The family that lived in the house had fled during Operation Cast Lead, the Israeli attack on Gaza that began at the end of December 2008. Mohammed Shuhada Ali Ahmed, 39, had gone back to fetch clothes for his children and was killed when the shell struck.

Something not right about this photo.

Thats not the trajectory of a tank round. And save for a little damage to the tiles on the floor its really weird that nothing else is touched in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

Thats not the trajectory of a tank round. And save for a little damage to the tiles on the floor its really weird that nothing else is touched in the room.

To me it looks like the shell hit the external wall between the two floors hence creating the hole in the roof and very little damage to the floor. I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chefburns wrote: »
    To me it looks like the shell hit the external wall between the two floors hence creating the hole in the roof and very little damage to the floor. I could be wrong though.

I don't know tbh, but that looks like a hit on re-enforced concrete and just going on personal experience it doesn't look (to me) like a tank round.

There are some good sites listing fake war photos, a lot of things about this photo make it look fake to me.

The last photo, the one with the W.P. raining down on the Gazans looks like hell on earth - I've seen that posted before and its terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It looks to me as chefburns says, and that the damage to the floor was done by falling concrete, also, its not that nothing else was damaged, its that someone cleared it up and is living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Fatima_Bullets.jpg

They are PR photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

maglite wrote: »

They are PR photos

Must be throwing those bullets these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

^^^^^^I don't get what the thing is with that photo?

Advertisement