Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Might not have shook the world exactly, but it was certainly interesting when an untouched tribe was found in the Amazon in 2008

15004732.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7426794.stm

Sorry but that was found to be fake.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/06/fake_uncontacted_amazon_tribe.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Sleepeee wrote: »
    ^^ This picture breaks my heart. Pure innocence in the hands of evil. Probably thinking these boys are leading him back to his mother. Not knowing the most disgusting death lies ahead. Heartbreaking.

Do you remember this wee boy? One of the most high profile child kidnappings Ireland (well in my lifetime anyway). Never found. Some suggest his kidnapping was part of a paedophile ring involving members of the church and those in authority. We may never know the truth.

229779_1.jpg?ts=1260564874The photo of Philip Cairns that appeared on missing persons posters after his disappearance in 1986.

<H2>

</H2>

It was a truly horrible thing that happened with the Cairns boy, but I don't think Paedophiles in the Church needed to kidnap kids, they had plenty access to children and the church/politicians/gardai there to cover it all up, why bother kidnapping some kid and making it all high profile?

GiftofGab wrote: »

Jose Carlos? Geekologie? I've never heard of that guy let alone the site, do you have any more sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

1992. A mother in Somalia holds the body of her child who died of hunger.
    15.jpg
    The pope after being shot.
    pope_shot.jpg
    Seal clubbing.(yes thats a screwdriver)

seals.jpg
    Josef Fritzel
    Josef_Fritzl_280_477364a.jpg
    Famine in Africa.
    famine.jpg
    Iraqi kid.
    iraq-children-1_18.jpg
    Pregnant at 5 years old.Peru 1933
    lina-medina.jpg
    Operating on a baby inside the whom at 21 weeks.(abortion is still legal up to 24weeks,in uk)
    the-baby-hand.jpg

Mixture of everything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alabamawhurley

Whats the story of the 5 year old pregnant girl above ^?
    Is that even possible? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sleepeee

CCCP^ wrote: »
    It was a truly horrible thing that happened with the Cairns boy, but I don't think Paedophiles in the Church needed to kidnap kids, they had plenty access to children and the church/politicians/gardai there to cover it all up, why bother kidnapping some kid and making it all high profile?

I don't know mate. Your guess is as good as mine. Why would anybody do such a thing. It's likely he knew or trusted the person. And it being so high profile but yet what happened is still covered up, it would make you wonder. But perhaps this thread isn't the place to be discussing conspiracies. God bless his soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

GiftofGab wrote: »

If it were a hoax, then at least we're aware of logging dangers ;)
    Whats the story of the 5 year old pregnant girl above ^?
    Is that even possible? :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina

I was shocked reading her story, it's very rare but some children can hit puberty very early :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Loveless wrote: »
    Don't think this one has been posted up yet either...

the-baby-hand.jpg

"Take a good look at this picture. It's one of the most remarkable photographs ever taken. The tiny hand of a foetus reaches out from a mother's womb to clasp a surgeon's healing finger. It is, by the way, 21 weeks old, an age at which it could still be legally aborted. The tiny hand in the picture above belongs to a baby which is due to be born on December 28."

Picture is real but the write up is wrong, the baby was sedated so no reaching out and grabbing.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/thehand.asp

One that I saw recently (although it's old) is this of a human embryo's face at 5 weeks, you probably wouldn't even know you were pregnant at this stage. The big slit is forming the mouth and the rest is forming the nostrils and eyes:
    preg-11_1494395i.jpg

I also like this one of a Foetus' leg at 16 weeks:
    P9-preg-26_1494412i.jpg

And this hairy fecker at 20 weeks, he'll eat all that hair before he's born.
    preg-31_1494421i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Corporals_killings1.jpg

Corporal Derek wood as he tries to escape the crowd baying for his blood
    Both he and his collegue were beaten then executed by the IRA aftering attending the cortege of an IRA funeral.

MILLTOWN_PRIEST_DC_1_copy.jpg
    The vicar preforms the last rites

History behind it
    At Gibralter Daniel McCann, Sean Savage and Mairead Farrell were shot dead by the SAS on the 6th March 1988. They were members of an active service unit of the IRA, but had been unarmed at the time of the killing.

At their funeral on 16th March 1988 in Milltown cemetery, Falls Road, Belfast, Michael Stone, armed with two handguns and hand grenades attacked the crowd as the coffins were being lowered into the ground.Michael Stone killed three people that day, and injured over 60.

IRA Volunteer Caoimhín Mac Brádaigh was one of the three killed at Milltown as he tried to disarm Stone.

At his funeral, two british army corporals, Derek Wood and David Howes, drove into the cortege. David Howes and Derek Wood were driving in a silver Volkswagen Passat car wearing civilian clothes. The O'Bradaigh funeral was making its way along the Andersonstown Road towards Milltown Cemetery when the car containing the two corporals appeared. The car headed straight towards the front of the funeral, which was headed by a number of black taxis. It drove past a Sinn Féin steward who signalled it to turn. Mourners at the funeral said they believed they were under attack from loyalists. The car then mounted a pavement, scattering mourners and turning into a small side road. On finding that this road was blocked, it then reversed at speed, ending up within the funeral cortège. When the driver attempted to extricate the car from the cortège his exit route was blocked by a black taxi.When the car was surrounded and the windows smashed, those surrounding attempted to drag the soldiers out. One of the corporals produced a weapon, which off-duty members of the security forces were permitted to carry at the time. Corporal Wood climbed part of the way out of a window, firing a shot in the air which briefly scattered the crowd. Television pictures showed the crowd surging back, with some of them attacking the vehicle with a wheel-brace and a stepladder snatched from a photographer. The corporals were eventually pulled from the car and punched and kicked to the ground.
    Journalist Mary Holland recalled seeing one of the men being dragged past a group of journalists: "He didn't cry out, just looked at us with terrified eyes, as though we were all enemies in a foreign country who wouldn't have understood what language he was speaking if he called out for help."They were dragged to the nearby Casement Park sports ground. Here they were again beaten and stripped to their underpants and socks by a small group of men. According to two British news sources, the men were tortured. A search revealed that the men were British Army soldiers. The corporals were further beaten and thrown over a high wall to be put into a waiting black taxi. It was driven off at speed, while camera crews captured one of its passengers waving a fist in the air
    Shortly after, the IRA released a statement at the time which concluded: "Despite media reports, we are satisfied that at no time did our Volunteers physically attack the soldiers. Once we confirmed who they were, they were immediately executed. But we understand why a section of the mourners attacked them and given what happened in Milltown Cemetery on Wednesday, these people acted with exactly the same motive as those who were commended for pursuing loyalist paramilitary Michael Stone".
    The two men were driven less than 200 yards to waste ground near Penny Lane, just off the main Andersonstown Road. There they were shot several times. Corporal Wood was shot six times, twice in the head and four times in the chest. He was also stabbed four times in the back of the neck and had multiple injuries to other parts of his body.

Redemptoristpriest Father Alec Reid, who later played a significant part in the peace process leading to the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, arrived on the scene. One of the most enduring pictures of The Troubles shows him kneeling beside the almost naked body of Derek Wood, his face distraught as he administered the last rites.

The incidence was photographed and caught on camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyyHtudZBVU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

^ sickening stuff, from all sides involved! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

@ Aru, thanks for posting that, an interesting read. And hopefully all those things are behin the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

No bother.
    Before yesterday i didnt even know that this story had even happened but when i was reading a thread along the same lines as this one on another site it came up and i ended up looking into the story behind it....
    those poor lads, regardless of why they were there, its was a terrible way to go...
    I hope that this country wil never see days like those again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Tomebagel wrote: »
    1992. A mother in Somalia holds the body of her child who died of hunger.
    15.jpg

Famine in Africa.
    famine.jpg

*removed due to second thoughts and not wanting to lower the tone of a great thread*

Still angry though :(

These pictures make me sick, those poor, poor people. :( I can't even imagine what that's like. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

ZiMZuM wrote: »
    This was the 1st picture that came to my mind..
    sad.jpg

god my hearth goes out to the poor child so so sad..

Sleepeee wrote: »
    I don't know mate. Your guess is as good as mine. Why would anybody do such a thing. It's likely he knew or trusted the person. And it being so high profile but yet what happened is still covered up, it would make you wonder. But perhaps this thread isn't the place to be discussing conspiracies. God bless his soul.

Yeah, it's not the place, but I hope whoever took him burns in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Not sure if this has been posted already:

man_on_moon.jpg

Fall of Saigon (end of Vietnam War, in this pic people are being evacuated from the city):
    fall_of_saigon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Loveless wrote: »
    Don't think this one has been posted up yet either...

the-baby-hand.jpg

"Take a good look at this picture. It's one of the most remarkable photographs ever taken. The tiny hand of a foetus reaches out from a mother's womb to clasp a surgeon's healing finger. It is, by the way, 21 weeks old, an age at which it could still be legally aborted. The tiny hand in the picture above belongs to a baby which is due to be born on December 28."

My god, 17 year old male and that really got me

Depp wrote: »
    My god, 17 year old male and that really got me

17 year old males are allowed have emotions too :o tis some picture alright.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_141-1880,_Peenem%C3%BCnde,_Start_einer_V2.jpg
    The V2 rocket being launced.

Me262-3.jpg
    The worlds first fully operational jet fighter, Germany's ME262.

Picture%20399%202%20Turin%20Shrowd.jpg
    The Shroud of Turin.......yes, it was a photo which really revealed the image on the cloth and one which I'd imagine did a fair bit of world shaking and still does :p

The image on the shroud is much clearer in black-and-white negative than in its natural sepia color. The striking negative image was first observed on the evening of May 28, 1898, on the reverse photographic plate of amateur photographer Secondo Pia, who was allowed to photograph it while it was being exhibited in the Turin Cathedral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not sure if this one shook the world (a LOT of pictures on here did not SHAKE the world) but this one certainly turned a few heads. Hitler without a moustache - I think the point of this was to de-caricaturise Hitler

Hitler_without_moustache_by_lyonlamb.jpg

Morlar wrote: »
    Not sure if this one shook the world (a LOT of pictures on here did not SHAKE the world) but this one certainly turned a few heads. Hitler without a moustache - I think the point of this was to de-caricaturise Hitler

Careful Morlar, people might think there is a bit of a theme going on here between your images and mine......:p and jesus stuck in the middle of it all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Just as an aside to the mods, do ye know how the writing on the Vietnam photograph in the original post got to be there? It wasn't in the original picture I linked. Kind of ruins the aesthetic value of the opening to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Just as an aside to the mods, do ye know how the writing on the Vietnam photograph in the original post got to be there? It wasn't in the original picture I linked. Kind of ruins the aesthetic value of the opening to the thread.
    It's possible someone uploaded the photo again (keeping the same link) with the text. Kinda sad really tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That text was there for me from the day the thread started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

There's no edit option with the original post for me. Meh, it doesn't matter. Was just wondering.

There's no edit option with the original post for me. Meh, it doesn't matter. Was just wondering.

If the text only appeared afterwards then maybe the owner of the site that hosts the image realised you hot-linked to his file & changed the file to one that had text across it to mess with your head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A couple more pictures of the Munich Olympics terrorist attack -the apartment:

MunichBlackS.jpg

And one of the helicopters after they were blown up:

12.jpg

This marine was note expecting his position to be attacked hence facing the Taliban wearing the pink boxers and flip flops

610x.jpg

A very close call

Afgh-Garmser-HelmandProv-24thMarine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 its only me

Both amazing and rough stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Not sure if I missed this or that it's been posted already, but I absolutely LOVE the irony in this picture!

mail.jpg

• Advertisement

Not sure if I missed this or that it's been posted already, but I absolutely LOVE the irony in this picture!

mail.jpg

Could be wrong but I thought that picture was from a protest against an Orange order parade through dublin ???

The caption was photoshopped from 'No to Sectarian Parades' to say that instead ?

Advertisement