Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Career in Standup Comedy (Londonderry)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Scien wrote: »
    Yeah, bkr5 says under the video that "he'd pay to see this".
    I wonder is he any relation to bkr3 on this thread who said "I thought it was pretty decent", the same bkr3 who has an IP match with the username carlinftw....
    :o

I'm guessing that carlinftw is posting in Norm Winters' character, and it's getting a bit of a rise out of some of ye. Look, his career is taking off. Ye canna deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

SlimJ wrote: »

I'm guessing that carlinftw is posting in Norm Winters' character, and it's getting a bit of a rise out of some of ye. Look, his career is taking off. Ye canna deny it.

Initially he was, then he started posting like 'himself'. Perhaps if he'd made it clear about the persona, and asked for feedback on his act rather than making a rude and bigoted first post, people would have been more constructive in their criticism. Good luck to the guy but I don't think there's much of an audience for his style of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Don't mind them OP. That was probably one of the finest stand up comedy slots I've never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

SlimJ wrote: »

You should be a comedian. Cause that was fcukin quality!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 carlinftw

frobisher wrote: »
    Don't mind them OP. That was probably one of the finest stand up comedy slots I've never seen.

Cheers mate. An honest man at last.

As for the rest of you, who continue just to try to put me down all the time... it seems like the lot of you tried to make it big and make a career out of it but failed. And I say that because if you're trying to be funny... you're simply not.

SlimJ wrote:

The Norm Winters character is the result of several years of work. And like I said the fact I got offered a second gig is proof my career is taking off. Some of you just don't want to admit that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

carlinftw wrote: »

The Norm Winters character is the result of several years of work.

sh1t man I hope that wasnt all you were doing with your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

my career is taking off.

'Peaked', I would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr Mo

Watching your video makes me laugh.

But not because your funny, it's because im sick and i get a kick out of watching you failing. Unless that was the point in which case you are very, very good at pretending to fail.

If in fact you actually were trying to be funny take some honest advice, when you are preforming live dont open your monolog with "your watching cabbage news" If your going to stick to your terrible news routiene at least change it up for a live performance. Try something like "here is norm winters reporting live from 'whatever venue'".

Also since your only starting infront of a live audience, don't pick a topic that offends people. Since your only starting out your not going to have a big audience so if you offend one or some of them your creating a tension in the room that the rest of your material wont make up for.

Next you need an opener. In your vider you said like half your monologue before coming to a joke, or at least what i thought was a joke. You need a joke at the start. Something to get the crowd warmed up at the start of your act because if it takes ages to get to your first joke the audience tunes out and will end up missing it.

Ok so, take some advice, change your act and become a bit more funny or stay the same and keep a guy with a sick sense of humour like mine happy.

sh1t man I hope that wasnt all you were doing with your time!

Although I started my YouTube channel about 9 months ago, I've been doing this for about 2 years now on and off. It has been a difficult enough two years though, with people saying I wouldn't even get a gig and things like that.

This was my first live performance in front of a large group of people, and to be honest and not to be blowing my own trumpet too much, I thought I did a pretty good job. I delivered my routine in a confident manner and I got some laughs. Isn't that the whole point of stand up?!?! Anyway, I thought I did pretty well for myself until I came on here that is. It was just disheartening to see the same kind of negativity come back to haunt me, but like last time, I won't just give up. Sure my act isn't perfect but that's why I came here and posted on this board. I'm ready to take this to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Am I missing the bit that supposed to be funny? Genuinely did not understand how anything in the act could be construed as humorous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Cheers mate. An honest man at last.

As for the rest of you, who continue just to try to put me down all the time... it seems like the lot of you tried to make it big and make a career out of it but failed. And I say that because if you're trying to be funny... you're simply not..

i think you may have missed frobishers point....
    frobisher wrote: »

I've highlighted the important word in that sentence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

From a non 'Paddy', non 'freestater' from Belfast I just thought you were a boring prick.

Glad I heard the name norm winters though.....know to avoid it like the plague as its obvious you are so close to a sell out nationwide stadium tour :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

you should rename this thread to My short Career in Standup Comedy (Londonderry)

I've highlighted the important word in that sentence!

What does that sentence mean now? Are you trying to say he didn't like my act? Actually, how could he even have an opinion of it if he's never seen my act? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

your youtube profile says your from Ireland, your better get that fixed pronto.

your youtube profile says your from Ireland, your better get that fixed pronto.

What? Did you even watch my video? In it, I say the Norm Winters character reads the news for Ireland. Also you'll notice my accent changes from my normal Londonderry one to my impression of someone from the south at the start too. You'll also see I put my name down as 'Norm Winters' in my profile. That isn't my real name by the way. It's the character I portray and the channel was made in his honour. The video description even points to that.

I've just done one of the biggest poos I've seen in a while. Anyone wanna discuss it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Where is this Londonderry place? I've never heard of it. :confused:;)

Dord wrote: »
    Where is this Londonderry place? I've never heard of it. :confused:;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Londonderry

That says it's one of the traditional counties of Ireland. Guess OP was wrong then.

• Advertisement

C'mon lads, hands up...

...Who's feeding the troll?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    C'mon lads, hands up...

...Who's feeding the troll?

It's not just one of them at it. That should be 'trolls'. It seems like the lot of ye keep hurling abuse at me. :/

carlinftw wrote:
    It's not just one of them at it. That should be 'trolls'. It seems like the lot of ye keep hurling abuse at me. :/

Thats the funniest thing you've said yet!

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Thats the funniest thing you've said yet!

well the jokes on them really. they can slag me all they like. I'm determined to get better at this and go fulltime at it. It's been a dream of mine for a long time. It's hard sometimes when you have to deal with people who just want to shatter that dream of yours... but no matter. I'm going to stick with this. I've come this far now and I won't be stopped by a bunch of forum trolls. I've had a lot worse before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

I've been waiting all my life to see a funny unionist......I'm still waiting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

So not too long ago I was in a pub in Great Britain's own Londonderry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0Gypw8hp8
    Mr Mo wrote: »
    Watching your video makes me laugh.
    Snip - starting out, <snip> don't pick a topic that offends people.

This advice seems to make sense; by the way have you a link to the English version of your 'routine'. I'm sure it was most amusing.

TJJP wrote: »
    This advice seems to make sense; by the way have you a link to the English version of your 'routine'. I'm sure it was most amusing.

Well I thought stand up was all about pushing the social boundaries a little by talking about controversial topics. All the big comedians do it, right? Maybe I pushed the bounds a bit too far?

And I'm assuming that somewhere in there in your comment was a question/request... about an english version of my act? Nah the Norm Winters character is a satirical Irish character. I could however invent a new character though, it's not that much of a stretch. It'll just take some time to develop, like the last one, is all.

well the jokes on them really. they can slag me all they like. I'm determined to get better at this and go fulltime at it. It's been a dream of mine for a long time. It's hard sometimes when you have to deal with people who just want to shatter that dream of yours... but no matter. I'm going to stick with this. I've come this far now and I won't be stopped by a bunch of forum trolls. I've had a lot worse before.

You realise that if you do want a career you're more than likely gonna have to go to Edinburgh? Where a lot of the people that post here play? Every hand you can get should be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Well I thought stand up was all about pushing the social boundaries a little by talking about controversial topics. All the big comedians do it, right? Maybe I pushed the bounds a bit too far?

And I'm assuming that somewhere in there in your comment was a question/request... about an english version of my act? Nah the Norm Winters character is a satirical Irish character. I could however invent a new character though, it's not that much of a stretch. It'll just take some time to develop, like the last one, is all.

>Maybe I pushed the bounds a bit too far?

And that’s probably it - Can norm winters be from Londonderry and be a satirical Irish character? I'm sure he could, but those that have been successful in this arena (Connolly (Billy not James <irish republician and also a Scott btw>) and Carson (Frank not Edward <Edward was a bit serious>) are funny but deferent to their roots. You can slag your own, but not others, unless you slag your own more it seems. That type of self depreciating humour comes from peccadilloes not sectarian hate. We're all way past that I hope.

• Advertisement

TJJP wrote: »
    >Maybe I pushed the bounds a bit too far?

And that’s probably it - Can norm winters be from Londonderry and be a satirical Irish character? I'm sure he could, but those that have been successful in this arena (Connolly (Billy not James <irish republician and also a Scott btw>) and Carson (Frank not Edward <Edward was a bit serious>) are funny but deferent to their roots. You can slag your own, but not others, unless you slag your own more it seems. That type of self depreciating humour comes from peccadilloes not sectarian hate. We're all way past that I hope.

Hmm. You know this actually has to be the soundest bit of advice yet. Cheers for that. I'm actually going through some top performances in my head now... and yeah it seems you're 100% right on this one. It's kinda like how Jews can make holocaust jokes and get away with it, if I'm following you correctly. Looks like I may have to change up my act a bit.

And yeah, I would like to think we're past that as well, some people's reactions to Norm might say otherwise though? I don't want to put words in people's mouth, but it seems like I may have offended some people. Particularly when I see such negative reactions and outright slagging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement