Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Surinam wrote: »
    Oh my god the take on the Rose of Tralee had me in stitches - hit the nail on the head!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4o99f2ErLo

Lols..That Calleary bloke is a brilliant comic actor, has me laughing just looking at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That Mental show should have been done better. They should have ripped into that type of RTE-for-the-youth show more. It was good that they had a go, though.

The last sketch, the poetry bit was funny. Probably had the best Priest stealing a kid sketch, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

his impression of Hector is spot on "hoooorahhoooooraahhhooo it'll be great craic!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    I think that Patsy's long arm was ripped off from Bo Selecta's Mick Hucknall. I think that Reeves and Mortimer did something similar even before that which makes it telescopic plagarism I suppose. It's still funny, though.
    I don't think so, weren't Catholics up north said to have one arm longer than the other?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

one arm longer?? and the meaning behind it is???

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

one arm longer?? and the meaning behind it is???
    always looking for a handout

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't think so, weren't Catholics up north said to have one arm longer than the other?

Well that probably was a saying but it's also somewhat obscure to a person watching it in the Republic who might notice the similarity. Would be nice just to have a quick direct reference to it in one of the sketches.

Well that probably was a saying but it's also somewhat obscure to a person watching it in the Republic who might notice the similarity. Would be nice just to have a quick direct reference to it in one of the sketches.
    you want the jokes explained?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Its shocking bad! :-/

you want the jokes explained?

I just think the expression would be a bit obscure to a large section of the viewership and a reference to it in the discourse between Edwin & Patsy would give the long arm prop a context and make it funnier as a result.

• Advertisement

I just think the expression would be a bit obscure to a large section of the viewership and a reference to it in the discourse between Edwin & Patsy would give the long arm prop a context and make it funnier as a result.
    might also render it useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭older i get better i was

first show great, 2nd one had some good stuff and some just ok stuff,the barman is brilliant ! in fairnes the two lads with mc savage are exellent aswell, I saw one of them doing a stand up as support to apres match and he was also exellent that time , not sure of his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I nearly broke me hole laughing at the All Ireland Talent show sketch. The family dancing and braking sticks is class. Still giggling at work thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Anyone else find themselves counting down the days until the next Savage Eye?

Anyone else find themselves counting down the days until the next Savage Eye?

This time last week...yes.
    But after last mondays episode....no

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

krudler wrote: »
    thats the point though its taking the piss out of all those godawful Northern sitcoms.

I was wondering about it.

What's the point of the long arm and 'Stick it in the pan?'

Also, why is Mary Robinson's husband in a birdcage?

I do like the show but this could never figure out those parts.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I was wondering about it.

What's the point of the long arm and 'Stick it in the pan?'

Also, why is Mary Robinson's husband in a birdcage?

I do like the show but this could never figure out those parts.

I think it's just an absurd sight gag on one level. Doesn't need to be read into but it was said earlier on in this thread that the long arm thing was to do with a unionist saying that catholics had one arm longer than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think it's just an absurd sight gag on one level. Doesn't need to be read into but it was said earlier on in this thread that the long arm thing was to do with a unionist saying that catholics had one arm longer than the other.

Basically you dont want to get the joke even if there was even one?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Basically you dont want to get the joke even if there was even one?

Some gags are funny just because they're an absurd, ridiculous sight. For example, John Colleary as Mary Robinson's 'house bound' who is mute, has a birdcage on his head, has an uncanny knack for mimicry......and Bob Mortimer 'stuffed' into a bottle, singing "For all of us/Two of us."

It's not everyone's cup of tea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I saw one of them doing a stand up as support to apres match and he was also exellent that time , not sure of his name?

Patrick McDonnell? I saw him a couple of months back doing stand-up, he was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Gaa_ wrote: »
    Hector interpretation is hilarious on the savage eye

Rahoo rahoo rahoo!

The female day time tv host character... Maura Derrane? Crossed with Miriam & Lorraine Keane???

barryd09 wrote: »
    Rahoo rahoo rahoo!

Go on ya wildman!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The female day time tv host character... Maura Derrane? Crossed with Miriam & Lorraine Keane???

i think it's blathnaid ni chofaigh

i think it's mainly blaithnaid.....crosssed with the others

The mannerisms suggest derrane to me, the babies would suggest miriam and the snidey remarks and overall look means lorraine keane to me?
    Never figured blaithnid in the character, must keep an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The mannerisms suggest derrane to me, the babies would suggest miriam and the snidey remarks and overall look means lorraine keane to me?
    Never figured blaithnid in the character, must keep an eye out!

she be's throwing in irish words the odd time too i think and blaithnid has 4 kids as well but i see why you'd think miriam because of them :pac:

which one of them goes on about 'glamour' and says 'come here to me'?

maybe it is a mash up but it always came across to me as blathnaid but i don't really know any of them that well to notice things they do/say that the character does

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

McSavage said himself the character is purely based on blathnaid

• Advertisement

I saw his dad on the news over the weekend, he seems an honorable man however he IS the mcsavage politician character to a T!!!

Advertisement