Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is After hours raison d'etre?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It's like a car crash.....you just can't look away

So is your face. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think the current charter is being taken a little too literally at the moment. I don't think that was the intention.

Giblet wrote: »
    I think the current charter is being taken a little too literally at the moment. I don't think that was the intention.

How do you know? What did you do, write it or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It used to be "for all things not work related", but now it seems to be "for all things not appropriate anywhere else", the frivolous, if you will.

It could justifiably be renamed "Expect a smart-assed comment forum".

Raison d'etre? Where you can post p1553d!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Who cares? It's not like anybody reads them charter things.

You should rickroll any noob noobish enough to read it.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Who cares? It's not like anybody reads them charter things.

You should rickroll any noob noobish enough to read it.

To be fair people do read it.
    After they get banned.
    To look for loopholes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iWillBeReborn

zuroph wrote: »
    After hours consists of the type of chat you have with your mates after a few pints at a lock in. You might disagree and argue your side, but if you get rowdy, the barmans gonna kick you out, so keep it civil. Typical subjects are anything thats in the days news, a funny story you heard, and terrible jokes and puns. Sometimes the debate can turn serious, but remember, the barmans watching, and you're gonna wanna come back, so don't get so loud that the neighbours kick up **** and ye're all barred.

Wait? You mean like it was originally intended? See original AH Boards.ie icon of yesteryear for proof. Man at bar with pint in hand...... :p

http://web.archive.org/web/20001205063200/http://www.boards.ie/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

if you're just here to take a swipe at after hours then kindly GTFO.

Sheeps wrote: »
    You've listed quite a few of the major things that make this forum a unfunny cesspool.

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Is "lurk moar" an acceptable charter?

I think AH has a sort of Je ne sais quoi (LC French is FINALLY paying off) that is very hard to define. There is a certain dynamic to the forum that requires time spent lurking and observing to understand. we're a complex lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

phasers wrote: »

I think AH has a sort of Je ne sais quoi (LC French is FINALLY paying off) that is very hard to define. There is a certain dynamic to the forum that requires time spent lurking and observing to understand. we're a complex lot ;)

I agree with that...I joined the site in May, but only started posting with any regularity around September. Reading the board for a few months meant I got to know what sense of humour the regulars have, and what kind of things are discussed...I do have a chuckle when someone new comes in and says 'that's not funny at all, why are you laughing about that you sick freak'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

[hick]We don't take kindly to French around here.[/hick]

I find it weird that the phrase 'je ne sais quoi' literally means not knowing what it is you're talking about, yet everybody gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'd say autoclose threads that take the piss out of other threads or threads made on the same idea of others with minimal difference Ie
    "You know you're a skanger if........" (Original)
    "You know you're a Culchie if........" (copy)
    "You know you're a regular person if........" (not even funny)

Not taking a stab at Mods or moderating here, but I've seen a lot of people banned for "personnal abuse" when it's pretty much been said in a joking manner so maybe ease up on that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

+1

and the charter should be somewhat dynamic aswell, rather than a black & white set of rules

+1

and the charter should be somewhat dynamic aswell, rather than a black & white set of rules
    You'll have to come at me a bit more specific than that I'm afraid. It's currently rules and guidelines. Short form, crisp and clear. make no mistake it will be just as dull as the current one. The point is to try and make it as friendly as possible to new folk. Lots of links and info but in a non bloated format.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You'll have to come at me a bit more specific than that I'm afraid. It's currently rules and guidelines. Short form, crisp and clear. make no mistake it will be just as dull as the current one. The point is to try and make it as friendly as possible to new folk. Lots of links and info but in a non bloated format.

Well the global site-wide guidelines would still need to be steadfast and applied without question

AH is in a unique position though, as almost anything is open for discussion the things been discussed vary wildly and what's acceptable in one type of thread may not be acceptable in another

Mods should use some degree of discretion as to how rules are enforced between different types of threads

Bumppppp.
    New charter now posted.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

hey hey, I've written a sizeable portion of the after hours charter! I AM THE LAW!!!!
    Bollocko: Post deleted, zuroph, read the charter
    Zuroph: Read the charter?! I WROTE THE FCUKING THING!!!! MUHAHAHAHA
    Bollocko: Banned.

zuroph wrote: »
    hey hey, I've written a sizeable portion of the after hours charter! I AM THE LAW!!!!

A sizable portion?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The damn thing nearly broke me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

A sizable portion?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The damn thing nearly broke me!
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, and I wrote a sentence of it too!

I demand my royalties

• Advertisement

Bumppppp.
    New charter now posted.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

That's a well worked out charter dr. B. It could be a template for the site itself. Well done. Now, when are you getting your *pen* out :D

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That's a well worked out charter dr. B. It could be a template for the site itself. Well done. Now, when are you getting your *pen* out :D

I dunno.
    At some point.
    That's still a few down on the list of things that need doing around here.

Yes I did say in all honesty earlier in the thread that any input would be stolen. Thanks to anyone for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I dunno.
    At some point.
    That's still a few down on the list of things that need doing around here.

Yes I did say in all honesty earlier in the thread that any input would be stolen. Thanks to anyone for that.
    Great job, Doc!

Kiera wrote: »
    Great job, Doc!

Seconded.

It must have took you ages to write Doc, it took me long enough to read!
    Very comprehensive

Kiera wrote: »
    Great job, Doc!

IT wasn't just me. I was just the vehicle. Everyone pitched in. Actually Javaboy wrote most of it.
    /sniff.
    To Javaboy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

IT wasn't just me. I was just the vehicle. Everyone pitched in. Actually Javaboy wrote most of it.
    /sniff.
    To Javaboy!
    To Javapoo *clink*

May he rest in peace

brummytom wrote: »
    Seconded.

It must have took you ages to write Doc, it took me long enough to read!
    Very comprehensive

Days and days of writes and edits tbh. The downside is it's just a boring framework so the incredible tedium was the worst thing to overcome.

But does it work. That's the next question. Is it comprehensive, what has been missed, how can we make it better for the new folk.
    Not that they'll read it but there's always a glimmer of hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IT wasn't just me. I was just the vehicle.

You just hold your guitar and the spirit plays it. A conduit, if you will. :)

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    You just hold your guitar and the spirit plays it. A conduit, if you will. :)

I think you can be infracted for calling a mod a "conduit"...

Advertisement