Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is After hours raison d'etre?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

K-9 wrote: »
    Generally, they do. On Henrygate, yep, it could have been handled better, wouldn't read too much into it. Mods aren't perfect, hell, that is why Terry was popular/unpopular.

I think the abuse rule is way too tight. I know it's applied to strike down hard on any personal abuse, but it seems ridiculous sometimes. Maybe an on thread warning or a PM?

If you take note in the next couple of weeks we've really tried to be more proportionate when dealing with abusive posters. It's a change that has happened recently but look for it and you'll notice it.

The issue of celebrity jokes, well, c'mon. On the night they died we don't really want it to be OK to propogate callous jokes ie paedo or gay jokes in the most popular forum on boards. It's a tricky one. We're still wrestling with the best way of handling those. I think anybody who is trying to handle that stuff as fairly as possible will struggle with those.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K-9 wrote: »
    Generally, they do. On Henrygate, yep, it could have been handled better, wouldn't read too much into it. Mods aren't perfect, hell, that is why Terry was popular/unpopular.

I think the abuse rule is way too tight. I know it's applied to strike down hard on any personal abuse, but it seems ridiculous sometimes. Maybe an on thread warning or a PM?

We've eased up on that quite a lot. We generally do issue on thread warnings or infractions instead of bans now. You ignore the warnings though and you will get a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

If you take note in the next couple of weeks we've really tried to be more proportionate when dealing with abusive posters. It's a change that has happened recently but look for it and you'll notice it.
    We've eased up on that quite a lot. We generally do issue on thread warnings or infractions instead of bans now. You ignore the warnings though and you will get a ban.
    Yup did noticed this last weekend. Cheers guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

One thing I think that should be done is that there should be more emphasis on making people actually put some effort in to their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Kiera wrote: »
    That said, some of the "jokes" in those threads are sickening and dont belong in here. There is another forum for people and their sick jokes about dead people.

This is true but my point is that if people post anything here they should be willing to have that subject made fun of. If the mods don’t fell it is appropriate to make fun of a particular subject then the charter should clearly say so. No one should post here unless they are willing for the subject matter of their post to be made light of.

(On a side note 1000 posts!:D What happens now? Do I level up? Do I gain the ability to read text speak without having to reread it 10 times? Do I get a letter from the queen/king of boards? I may have used up my quota of posts for the year I feel old now…)

• Advertisement

Doc wrote: »
    This is true but my point is that if people post anything here they should be willing to have that subject made fun of. If the mods don’t fell it is appropriate to make fun of a particular subject then the charter should clearly say so. No one should post here unless they are willing for the subject matter of their post to be made light of.

(On a side note 1000 posts!:D What happens now? Do I level up? Do I gain the ability to read text speak without having to reread it 10 times? Do I get a letter from the queen/king of boards? I may have used up my quota of posts for the year I feel old now…)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Terry goes a bit Terry and slings a barb and everyone gets insecure. Ferfuksake would ye relax. Dont go changeing sh!t. Its Grand.

:confused:

:confused::confused:

Doc wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Congats on the 1000th post there Doc. :pac:

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Terry goes a bit Terry and slings a barb and everyone gets insecure. Ferfuksake would ye relax. Dont go changeing sh!t. Its Grand.

Who wants to tell him? I don't want to tell him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Can we have the right to be sarcastic at all times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Congats on the 1000th post there Doc. :pac:
    See! This is the kind of stuff AH is about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Where's this thread with the facebook racist? Somebody link me!

Where's this thread with the facebook racist? Somebody link me!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=76047

There you go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sheeps wrote: »
    One thing I think that should be done is that there should be more emphasis on making people actually put some effort in to their posts.

Show us the way Sheeps, show us the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We're only cleaning it up because the current one is a mess to read. The reason for this thread is to have a small description of after hours for new people so they will get the forum. This has been planned for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Great, haven't been on AH much lately. Good to see.

That's good change. Other than that, ban the "nag, nag, nag, nag, nag" posters!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I don't think there is a way to sum up After Hours. You half to lurk for a while and suss the place out before you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

We're only cleaning it up because the current one is a mess to read. The reason for this thread is to have a small description of after hours for new people so they will get the forum. This has been planned for a while now.

Sorry, that was just my 2c regarding putting a new charter together. Apologies for going OT, but its AH ;)
    i like it here as it is.

Sorry, that was just my 2c regarding putting a new charter together. Apologies for going OT, but its AH ;)
    i like it here as it is.
    Completely understand. I like this place too. :) We're not changing any of the rules or anything like that just hopefully making the rules clearer to new people or people who don't understand them to ensure the smooth running of the forum. The charter really needed updating. The current has the rules spread out over a whole thread. The new one will have a list of all the rules in the first post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Who wants to tell him? I don't want to tell him.

Don't even think about it doc.

Pushes doc in front..

I have your back.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Cos i just feel stupid in the other forums..:o I love AH!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

anniehoo wrote: »

Aw!, Shucks!

:p

I just feel it's a place where general topics can be discussed in an open manner without being too serious, there is scope to move to an appropiate forum if the disussion warrents it, the "bollix proof jax" being a classic example of a thread that quite rightly deserved to be in tCN.

The same can be said it a TV orientated thread (for example) becomes to "subject orientated" then it can be moved as well, It's a bad idea to just lock these - move them if they're out of place.

It would be a good idea not to be too rigid in the types of threads to allow here, the recent "hand of frog" debacle being a classic example, the end solution of having one and only one thread was the best outcome.

Toilet threads (as in sh*t etc) should just be flushed into the bin, or into a juvinile version of AH (youth club - forum)

As for the rest - leave as is - it's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

After Hours is my favourite forum because you don't know what you're going to read.

With Soccer, you get Soccer.

With Weather you get Weather.

With After Hours, well let's see. Quotes, Sunday World, Graffiti, the match, what to do with a fiver, abortions and sandwiches. And then there's the photoshop competitions and the mods getting naked for money in various places of Ireland. (btw Sharpshooter is next :pac:)

And that's the first couple of threads. I imagine it's a very hard place to moderate. I think some things are heavy handed in my opinon. One person made a thread about being happy and one guy jokingly posted 'STFU' and the OP knew, everyone knew, but he got a warning :confused:

I think certain threads are locked too quickly, I remember the Henry incident, about 15 football threads were created and they all got locked. A mega thread was eventually created, but it was very, very late. It took one mod to do it while the mods on at the time didn't think of it, despite that was people wanted to talk about. Oh well, lessons learned.

After Hours is probably my favourite forum here. It makes me laugh, it makes me think and I sometimes engage in healthy debate.

There's a few things that piss me off though. For example, someone starts a thread about let's say...Worst Moments. And I can guarantee this will happpen, a poster will come along and say 'this thread'. That was funny the first time. But now it's a standard responce for a thanks whore.

Also when debating something aka a certain article in a paper or a tv show, the discussion will go 'That <example> is ****e'.

Well done you think it's crap, but thanks for not adding constructive in the thread other than to whore/troll/get your satisfaction for insulting something.

I remember when the typical AH responce was 'Yore Ma' and the mods did a damn good job of stamping that out.

I know I'm nit-picking, there's not a lot wrong with it. If someone asked me what AH is, I wouldn't be able to give them an answer without explaining the moderators, and the characters we have here.

You either get it or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

anniehoo wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=457

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's the forum for posting up any cool vids, pics or links that you've found, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

More of a friendly pub than a debating society.

More high jinks than high brow.

More inclusive than exclusive.

More, i want more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

After Hours should really be renamed "After Hours but before 9pm watershed". Any risqué/non-PC remarks get snipped out.
    This is what AH is now. But not what it should be IMO.

What's "sick", "tasteless" or "inappropriate" to one person is perfectly acceptable to another. I don't see why AH must pander to the former group.

AH should not do it's best to be inoffensive.

It's a good forum, but I admittedly come away from reading it now and then thinking "gosh, those people are awfully uptight/prudish".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It's like a car crash.....you just can't look away

Advertisement