Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Cable in Lidl €6.99

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

ah thats ok then. Not a bad deal so. :) id love to see if u could get a cheap hdmi cable and compare images. stick a few pics up here for us to gander at?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

iknorr wrote: »
    ah thats ok then. Not a bad deal so. :) id love to see if u could get a cheap hdmi cable and compare images. stick a few pics up here for us to gander at?
    tbh thats alot of work when you are too busy basking in the glory of the images my xbox and bluray are pumping out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Like what? i didnt know the cables allowed additional features ;)
    They don't. :)
    Isnt that why there is a standard on the cables?
    It is! Either the cable meets the standard, regardless of price, or it doesn't.
    Tests have been done on expensive cables and cheap calbes. (i think its on gizmodo. )
    Theres no difference in these cables unless u use larges lenghts. i think it was over 3 or 5 meters.
    Exactly as I posted earlier. More expensive cables can give a greater range, particularly in an electrically noisy environment. In most practical installations there will be no difference.

M1XR wrote: »
    2 metre belken white cable with 24 k connection
    its to support a new led tv just bought.

I'm sure it'll do a wonderful job supporting new telly, well worth the extra money for that. :)

(Just don't expect your picture to be any better.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

thanks i bought two :)
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    also just bought 2 ;)

Has anyone received their cable from this crowd yet?

• Advertisement

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130349643607&fromMakeTrack=true#ht_2793wt_1016

I purchased that a few weeks back. Still waiting on it. I didnt realise that the cable sfor 1.4 are available....for 6 euro i chanced it

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

M1XR wrote: »
    2 metre belken white cable with 24 k connection
    its to support a new led tv just bought. stats are all really high on it (2000000:1 contrast. 100hz refresh etc) so why skimp on quality. and i bought it in curries

No need to skimp on quality, as has been said earlier you can get a high quality 2m HDMI cable for <20 Euro. I'm sorry but you got ripped off.

Tesco cables are muck and not worth €5, but you can get good cables at a fraction of what you paid. You can be sure that the majority of what you paid went into Curry's profits and not into the materials and labor of making the cable.

Do both devices you are connecting to have gold connectors? If not the 24k connectors you got aren't doing you any favors.

I guess you cable was at least reassuringly expensive :rolleyes:

recycler1 wrote: »
    They don't. :)

It is! Either the cable meets the standard, regardless of price, or it doesn't.

Exactly as I posted earlier. More expensive cables can give a greater range, particularly in an electrically noisy environment. In most practical installations there will be no difference.

I like being correct :D

recycler1 :thumbs up:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

For anyone who is looking for one, I have used this crowd a few times before. Had absolutely no problems at all. I think for a 5 Metre HDMI Cable it comes in at a shade under 10euro including postage.

http://www.digibuys.co.uk/Premium-Quality-HDMI-CABLE-p-148.html

You just specify the length at the bottom...either 1, 2 or 5 metres.
    I was ideally looking for 4metres but had to pick the 5 metre one...but hey thats life!

what version is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

congo_90 wrote: »
    Has anyone received their cable from this crowd yet?
    havent received mine, so i emailed the seller, and he said to wait a few more days, and if it doesnt turn up he'd refund me the money and send me 2 more for free... paypal ftw either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

HappyHarry wrote: »
    No need to skimp on quality, as has been said earlier you can get a high quality 2m HDMI cable for <20 Euro. I'm sorry but you got ripped off.

Tesco cables are muck and not worth €5, but you can get good cables at a fraction of what you paid. You can be sure that the majority of what you paid went into Curry's profits and not into the materials and labor of making the cable.

Do both devices you are connecting to have gold connectors? If not the 24k connectors you got aren't doing you any favors.

I guess you cable was at least reassuringly expensive :rolleyes:

If the Tesco cable works how is it any different to a more expensive cable?

wiki,

Although no maximum length for an HDMI cable is specified, signal attenuation—dependent on the cable's construction quality and conducting materials—limits usable lengths in practice.[56] HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (1080p60 and 2160p30).[53][57][58] Category 1 HDMI cables are to be marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed".[1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

More expensive cables can have additional protection to prevent electrical interference, to prevent wear and tear, to make the cable stronger etc. In short lengths, e.g. less than 5 metres, a lot of this is a waste; especially given the fact that a lot of cheap cables can support 1080p perfectly fine.

The main thing to remember in all this is that cable manufacturers are adept at advertising and they need to be. If they weren't, they'd see their profits fall drastically. If every consumer was aware that they didn't need to spend a fortune on HDMI cables less than 5 metres in length and that a €10 or less cable would do the exact same job as a €65+ cable, the world would be a better place. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

I bought one when then first went on sale. The built quality seemed very poor but it did work with my blu-ray player for about 2 hours. After that the player (Panasonic DB60) would just give error codes - no picture on the TV.

I had another HDMI cable (a 5m one i bought some months before for about €12) and changing to this resolved the problem immediately. I think at the time some people suggested that the Tesco value cable was unreliable at 1080p.

I returned the Tesco cable and bought the Warfdale cable that Argos had for €7. Build quality appears MUCH better and no problems since.

Strange thing is that the Tesco cable hadn't been moved or even touched between the short time when it was working and the time it started giving problems.

I'm all for cheap cables, but the Tesco value cable is pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

HappyHarry wrote: »
    I bought one when then first went on sale. The built quality seemed very poor but it did work with my blu-ray player for about 2 hours. After that the player (Panasonic DB60) would just give error codes - no picture on the TV.

I had another HDMI cable (a 5m one i bought some months before for about €12) and changing to this resolved the problem immediately. I think at the time some people suggested that the Tesco value cable was unreliable at 1080p.

I returned the Tesco cable and bought the Warfdale cable that Argos had for €7. Build quality appears MUCH better and no problems since.

Strange thing is that the Tesco cable hadn't been moved or even touched between the short time when it was working and the time it started giving problems.

I'm all for cheap cables, but the Tesco value cable is pure ****e.

Agreed but as I said if it works there's no difference

I bought ones off ebay for 2 euro and they have been working fine for the last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

it seems that a lot of people have more knowledge about these cables than the people selling them. i have personally bought mainly monster stuff for my own sitting room and have bought the best i could get my hands including monster speaker cable ran under the floors. i have seen demos of cheap versus top of the range in different shops and looked for myself instead of some salesman trying to bore the **** out of me with gbps and nitrogen liquid and fibre this and that.
    i personally see the difference and i like to get the best out of what i have. we watch a lot of films at home as we have young children and dont get out often. i spent over 2 grand on telly 3 years ago and i wasnt going to connect up the cheap scart cables that i had from the old setup.for these people who believe that a cable is a cable, do they feel that a car is just a car aswell? or do they have an expensive car? sure they all get you from a to b.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

this thread is about HDMI cables my man

if you dont know the difference between scart and HDMI, you dont know very much at all!

ive experience with an expensive hdmi branded cable and a generic 10e brand, plugged into the same HDTV, showing the same bluray scene

guess what, they were both the same, escept the expensive one had a nice shiny box and the cable had a hardcoated material to protect the cable

EDIT:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/08/wireworlds-platinum-starlight-hdmi-cable-is-only-1-000-better/

this might be a cable that should interest you greatly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

andy3695 wrote: »
    it seems that a lot of people have more knowledge about these cables than the people selling them. i have personally bought mainly monster stuff for my own sitting room and have bought the best i could get my hands including monster speaker cable ran under the floors. i have seen demos of cheap versus top of the range in different shops and looked for myself instead of some salesman trying to bore the **** out of me with gbps and nitrogen liquid and fibre this and that.
    i personally see the difference and i like to get the best out of what i have. we watch a lot of films at home as we have young children and dont get out often. i spent over 2 grand on telly 3 years ago and i wasnt going to connect up the cheap scart cables that i had from the old setup.for these people who believe that a cable is a cable, do they feel that a car is just a car aswell? or do they have an expensive car? sure they all get you from a to b.

A SCART is analog rather than digital, so is far more prone to signal degradation and inteference, especially on cheap cabling.

HDMI is digital and therefore gives you perfect signal or nothing at all.

Monster claim their cables give you the best picture/sound but this is a lie. You can either get a picture/sound, or nothing. It's 1s and 0s and they're preying on people's ignorance and wallets.

You were right to spend well on analog cables, but when it comes to digital cabling, Monster holds no advantage yet*

*When high-bitrate signals are introudced via HDMI 1.4/3DHD Blu-Ray then this argument could be made. But who has the money for that?!:pac:

We are not talking about cheap scart cables here, its cheap hdmi cables vs expensive....
    Andy this is the start of your hammering.

First off u use monster cable and quote them as being the best. Have u ever searched for reviews on monster....maybe this might clear things up a little....
    http://hd.engadget.com/2007/12/17/hdmi-cable-scam-used-to-fool-in-store-customers/

See monster use non HDMI cables to compare too their HDMI

If u read this thread you could see that on short lenghts there is no difference in cables who have the current certification/standard.

Even tests with oscilloscopes show this, as previously posted.

Now monster are known for their high quality speaker cables also , aren't they????

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

Seriously if u think ur getting a great image off a 3 year old tv that cost over 2 k, then think again. I bet for 600 ( probably less) euro u can get a better tv right now.

I dont care if u just want to justify spending all that cash on cables if it makes u sleep well at night cos it certainly doesnt improve the picture quality. I just dont wanna see people, who dont know about these cables , being ripped off by salesmen on commission.

• Advertisement

it seems that a lot of people have more knowledge about these cables than the people selling them.

Certainly in my case. (I have many years professional experience in the area of digital communications.)
    i have seen demos of cheap versus top of the range in different shops and looked for myself instead of some salesman trying to bore the **** out of me with gbps and nitrogen liquid and fibre this and that.
    i personally see the difference and i like to get the best out of what i have. we watch a lot of films at home as we have young children and don't get out often.

There are lots of "tricks of the trade" to make some items look &/or sound better than others. Generally these tend to be the items with the highest margin or best commission.
    i spent over 2 grand on telly 3 years ago and i wasn't going to connect up the cheap scart cables that i had from the old setup.
    If your telly has a HDMI input you should see a major improvement in picture quality by connecting your DVD, Blue-ray or set top box to it via a HDMI cable.

ifor these people who believe that a cable is a cable, do they feel that a car is just a car aswell? or do they have an expensive car? sure they all get you from a to b.

Of course there are differences between cables. The real question is whether those differences will, in a particular installation, make a difference to the listening and/or viewing experience. (Or whether the installation will be more long-lasting, whatever.)

In the case of analaogue signals, audio (e.g. Phono) or video (e.g. scart), the choice of cable and connector can make a material difference. For audio feeds you need good quality shielded cables, with gold plated connectors on plug and socket. Beyond that, paying more money does not give a better sound. (At one stage I did very extensive testing of various combinations on a sophisticated test bed which included an audio distortion meter (with a resolution of 0.001% THD) and a Spectrum Analyser.)

Even more money is wasted on speaker cable. You may have to shell out for flat cable to go under a carpet. Apart from that, mains cable is as good as anything else!

In the case of digital signals, such as HDMI feeds, the cable quality makes not one iota of a differance to the audio or video quality. The build quality, e.g. the conector, may be poorer on some cheap cables. In such a case, which I have not come accross, it would warrant paying a small amount more.

This holds true whether you are using copper (DVI/HDMI) or fibre (SPDIF).

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a pi$$ing match. Rather, like iknorr, I hope this prevents people from spending scarece money unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

my set up is as folllows....

ps3 to tv - monster hdmi400 cable
    panasonic hdd recoreder to tv -monster hdmi400
    home cinema to tv monster mv3 component cable.
    scart leads are used from sky box to tv and sky box to recorder.
    apologies for not typing all details earlier.
    i did mention scart cables, but i am using high end monster mv3 scart cables.
    i may be stupid in the eyes of most people here but i see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

my set up is as folllows....

ps3 to tv - monster hdmi400 cable
    panasonic hdd recoreder to tv -monster hdmi400
    home cinema to tv monster mv3 component cable.
    scart leads are used from sky box to tv and sky box to recorder.
    apologies for not typing all details earlier.
    i did mention scart cables, but i am using high end monster mv3 scart cables.
    i may be stupid in the eyes of most people here but i see the difference.

Are you saying you see a difference between using a cheap HDMI cable and the Monster HDMI cable when connecting your PS3 to your TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Zoombits.co.uk have a 5 metre for £6.31 ( £7.89 less 20% with code: newsale20 ) including free postage to Ireland.
    http://www.zoombits.co.uk/shop/cables-monitor-digital-cables/hdmi-1.3-hdmi-male-to-hdmi-male-5.0m-69.003/16165

I bought this cable, it arrived yesterday and is perfect. Picture is amazing ( Blu Ray to full HD)
    Stuff the rip off HDMI cables i say

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This has descended into mindless yammering!

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement