Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Cable in Lidl €6.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Raoul

do they still have these in stock?? Thinking of going to get one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Raoul wrote: »
    do they still have these in stock?? Thinking of going to get one tonight.

Doubt Lidl still have them as they rarely keep electrical stock. You best bet is probably Tesco, they usually have 1m ones for €6.50. If you're in no hurry the ebay link given earlier http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2M-Premium-Gold-HDMI-1-3-Cable-For-PS3-HDTV-1080P-K4_W0QQitemZ270416390717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3ef612aa3d or http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24546 are good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Zoombits.co.uk have a 5 metre for £6.31 ( £7.89 less 20% with code: newsale20 ) including free postage to Ireland.
    http://www.zoombits.co.uk/shop/cables-monitor-digital-cables/hdmi-1.3-hdmi-male-to-hdmi-male-5.0m-69.003/16165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

stuf wrote: »

You'd be MUCH better going with this, also reviewed by "What HiFi".

It gives "Muscular, exciting sound" and is also rumored to protect the electrons flowing through the cable from "Swine Flu". (The cheaper Tesco cables don't have this protection and you should bring them with you when you're getting innoculated. Ideally, they should get an injection too. If they won't do this for you the next best thing is to lick them from end to end immediately you've got your injection and the protection should pass over to the cable through capillary action.)

To the OP: the Tesco, Aldi, Lidl cables are all fine - as are the standard cables supplied with most equipment. Don't be mislead by the snake oil merchants, or "What HiFi", for that matter. The reviews above are rubbish and would be banned outright if there was any decent consumer protection legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

WhatHifi wrote:
    this Chord Company HDMI has amazing sonic impact and capability

Sonic Impact......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

recycler1 wrote: »
    You'd be MUCH better going with this, also reviewed by "What HiFi".

It gives "Muscular, exciting sound" and is also rumored to protect the electrons flowing through the cable from "Swine Flu". (The cheaper Tesco cables don't have this protection and you should bring them with you when you're getting innoculated. Ideally, they should get an injection too. If they won't do this for you the next best thing is to lick them from end to end immediately you've got your injection and the protection should pass over to the cable through capillary action.)

To the OP: the Tesco, Aldi, Lidl cables are all fine - as are the standard cables supplied with most equipment. Don't be mislead by the snake oil merchants, or "What HiFi", for that matter. The reviews above are rubbish and would be banned outright if there was any decent consumer protection legislation.
    my respect for What HiFi is now as low as the ground itself. i mean that's ridiculous, 115gbp is about 110 more than what its worth.

who buys this garbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

recycler1 wrote: »

I would normally agree with you regarding many expensive cables but I posted a link to one that was ~€8.50 with delivery. There are physical limits to the transfer of 1080p signals down basic HDMI cables - some of the cheap ones will distort a lot on high content signals and some won't. Seeing as the one in LIDL isn't available then an €8.50 one of the web is a good alternative.

You're just as bad in the snake-oil department in this case recycler1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    my respect for What HiFi is now as low as the ground itself. i mean that's ridiculous, 115gbp is about 110 more than what its worth.

who buys this garbage?

People who don't know any different. I know a very nice chap who was caught with this lately. Bought an LCD just for SD viewing. Guy in the shop sold him a HDMI cable for €65. I told him to bring it back and tell your man where to stick it.:mad:

FFS he had no HD equipment to connect to the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Freddie59 wrote: »
    People who don't know any different. I know a very nice chap who was caught with this lately. Bought an LCD just for SD viewing. Guy in the shop sold him a HDMI cable for €65. I told him to bring it back and tell your man where to stick it.:mad:

the salesman must have been some prick knowing that he had no use for it, but selling it to him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

That's a disgrace. I hope he brought it back?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Tea_Bag wrote: »

who buys this garbage?

If you read any of their reviews, your respect should have been low enough already; favouritism doesn't begin to cut if with those people.

But you know he's going to need that HDMI cable when he uses his DVD player... you know, to ensure he is able to benefit from the cutting edge Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and the ultra-clear, super-duper "you'd-swear-it's-HD-video-quality" TM that only a €65 HDMI cable can provide. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

stuf wrote: »
    There are physical limits to the transfer of 1080p signals down basic HDMI cables - some of the cheap ones will distort a lot on high content signals and some won't.

There are "physical limits" to the transfer of any signal, digital or analogue, down a physical media. Equally, all signals are distorted as any physical medium has a finite bandwidth. In the case of HDMI/digital signals the only concern is not corruption but whether the signal can be correctly reconstituted at the receiving end.
    I am not aware of any issues with 1080p HDMI signals down "basic" cables due to corruption. Have you some reference collateral for me that I can follow through on? (I have a profesional interest in the whole area of digital signalling.)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that threre may be a case for "higher quality" HDMI Cables, with greater shilelding, over longer distances, in electrically noisy environments. In practice, the benefit of such cables would be a greater range, rather than any increase in picture or sound quality. It is unlikely to apply in a domestic setting with cables of 2 to 3 meters length.

Claims that any particular cable carrying a digital signal will give better quality is ...... Snake Oil. (Either the signal can be reconstituted, or it cannot.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Monster Cables are a disgrace...the price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Monster cables are overpriced & ripoff. But you WILL see a difference between a Tesco cable and for example one of the GAME premium cables. If you have a PS3 you wont get several additional features supported by the cable. Best tests are 360 dashbord (HDMI settings) and PS3 Display settings for HDMI. You will be missing various options depending on the cable. That being said 24.99 is the most you should spend on a cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mailblaney

i use this cable for my xbox, works very well.

but surely there must be a difference between the lidl cable and the €80 cables other than the price, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

gflood wrote: »
    Monster cables are overpriced & ripoff. But you WILL see a difference between a Tesco cable and for example one of the GAME premium cables. If you have a PS3 you wont get several additional features supported by the cable. Best tests are 360 dashbord (HDMI settings) and PS3 Display settings for HDMI. You will be missing various options depending on the cable. That being said 24.99 is the most you should spend on a cable.

That's a new one on me. Any links to back this up? Cheap as chips tesco cables connecting a PS3 here and I can't fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

gflood wrote: »

Like what? i didnt know the cables allowed additional features ;) Isnt that why there is a standard on the cables?

I normally use the ****tiest cheapest cables with the latest standard, and they work fine. Tests have been done on expensive cables and cheap calbes. (i think its on gizmodo. )
    Theres no difference in these cables unless u use larges lenghts. i think it was over 3 or 5 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mailblaney wrote: »
    i use this cable for my xbox, works very well.

but surely there must be a difference between the lidl cable and the €80 cables other than the price, no?

The expensive cable will probably have better shielding from electrical interference, but this is generally only a concern if you are running longer lengths of HDMI, e.g. over 5m. For shorter lengths, you're better off buying a cheap cable, as you won't notice a difference in comparison to the expensive cables and you'll save yourself a lot of money too.

There's a lot of information on this here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The expensive cable will probably have better shielding from electrical interference, but this is generally only a concern if you are running longer lengths of HDMI, e.g. over 5m. For shorter lengths, you're better off buying a cheap cable, as you won't notice a difference in comparison to the expensive cables and you'll save yourself a lot of money too.

There's a lot of information on this here.

Thanks for the information, twas very helpful indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I had a guy in Peats try to sell me a €40 HDMI cable. I said that I just wanted a cheap one. He said the dearer ones handled more information. I said no, it's like a printer cable, 1/0, on/off, you get a signal or you don't. He started saying the "High-speed" HDMI cables handle higher bandwidths and higher resolutions. I very pleasantly said no thanks and walked on out of there.

I dunno if he really believed what he said or not. I just know there's a lot of people being taken advantage of out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

ok just spent 90 euro on a cable, and seen this. dont feel bad though its a quality cable and will make picture beautiful unlike this one.
    anyway thats life:rolleyes:

M1XR wrote: »
    ok just spent 90 euro on a cable, and seen this. dont feel bad though its a quality cable and will make picture beautiful unlike this one.
    anyway thats life:rolleyes:

erm what cable and how much and where.....

iknorr wrote: »
    erm what cable and how much and where.....
    2 metre belken white cable with 24 k connection
    its to support a new led tv just bought. stats are all really high on it (2000000:1 contrast. 100hz refresh etc) so why skimp on quality. and i bought it in curries

M1XR wrote: »
    2 metre belken white cable with 24 k connection
    its to support a new led tv just bought. stats are all really high on it (2000000:1 contrast. 100hz refresh etc) so why skimp on quality. and i bought it in curries
    was that a philips 9 series ?

I have some belkin gear. Its actually not bad but i wouldnt have paid that money for a cable. hmmmm did u research the cable or look for reviews of it before u bought it/

was that a philips 9 series ?

I have some belkin gear. Its actually not bad but i wouldnt have paid that money for a cable. hmmmm did u research the cable or look for reviews of it before u bought it/
    limited research i will admit but i knew what i wanted, eg high quality gold cable with multi shields etc. was buying tv sound system and bluray so one cable didnt make a whole difference to price

edit: ps its a samsung 6000

you should have got it for free if u bought a system!!!!! I wouldnt have left the shop without getting something for free

• Advertisement

you should have got it for free if u bought a system!!!!! I wouldnt have left the shop without getting something for free
    was in sale and got a teelevision stand free

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement