Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Time Meet Up :: AFTERMATH - #2 26.11.09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

AnCatDubh, have you any tips for car park this time around, maybe near to Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    AnCatDubh, have you any tips for car park this time around, maybe near to Stephen's Green.

I'll be heading into the royal college of surgeons. If memory serves me correctly, if you come in the N11 route following st stephen's green around and continue until you go past the st stephens green shopping centre (stay in lane nearest the green itself as you travel around), towards the LUAS stop and take a right before you can't go any further on this road. I think its signed at that point.

I've updated the map with where I think it is, so feel free to correct me anyone if i'm incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This sounds great, really looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I'm game if I can get away from work. I'm new here but it shouldn't be difficult spotting the large group of photographers milling around.

For parking - I can suggest jervis st car park as they're open late for chrimbo and have a maximum charge of 7 euro in the evenings. And it's practically on the route.

As per this thread #1 the time has come for a return visit and to get some more practice in for night time city shooting.

The date: This Thursday 26th, November, 2009
    The time: 6pm for a 6:30pm start.
    The Venue: Dublin City Centre (See Suggested Route below for Starting point)

The Night Time agenda: (which never appears to go according to plan ;))

Take in some night life, in particular suss out the Christmas lights / shopping areas. That means Grafton Street, Henry St, and on O'Connell Street at this stage (I understand) all have their lights on. Abbey Street last time was busy and would be worth a repeat visit. Also open for a stroll towards the ha'penny / temple bar direction.

Coffee: Debenhams looking down on Henry Street (if still open) directions from SinisterDexter - otherwise somewhere random along route.

The boyz/galz to expect:
    • AnCatDubh
    • pullandbang
    • pixbyjohn
    • SinisterDexter
    • xia - (to join in later)
    • eightcell
    • Kintarō Hattori (only a maybe - bug has caught?)
    • zoegh
    • Buzz Lightyear
    • Promac (depending on work)

Suggested Route (Approx 1.8miles in length)

Starting point Outside the entrance to St. Stephen's Green as indicated on the map.

Parking: Either Royal College of Surgeons (St. Stephens Green) or on other side of town (Jervis Street Shopping Centre) - Both of these have been added to the route map

Accuweather is still giving it cold (5degrees feeling like -3degrees) and windy but guess what ? Still no rain. Yay! :D Wrap up warm folks / Visit Penny's - 2 pairs of fingerless gloves for €1.50 apparently.

Pre Flight Check
    Charge batteries
    Check your quick release plate is either on your camera or on your tripod.
    Download/Wipe your memory cards.
    Think about what lens(s) you want to bring.

For anyone not been to one of these before, don't worry and don't be shy. Here's what to expect (vaguely) ;

Between the 6 - 6:30 while people gather, there's a bit of chat / introductions / slagging the guy with Pentax (that would be me!), etc... So don't leave it until 6:30 on the dot to meet up - you'll miss some of the chat and familiarisation. Then at the appointed time (which we'll probably overshoot by a mile) we begin to photograph the scene. After a period we begin to wander along the appointed route. It's an easy stroll with stopping at appropriate times or where someone sees a scene they want to try capture. People probably will travel in 2's and 3's stopping and regrouping at different parts of the route. We'll try take in a coffee in buy your own style :rolleyes: - more chat, perhaps review what you've been at. Then, continue as before. The great thing even if you are a little shy in groups (aren't we all) is that we're all photographers (of if like me, a wannabe) so you'll have things to chat about. TLDR - Everyone welcome.

I think that's it. I'll check back during the morning up to about 2pm and answer any queries anyone has. Otherwise - looking forward to it and meeting some old / some new acquaintances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I am an idiot. I thought you were meeting tonight. D'oh. :o

Eeeek??? :eek: I hope not :D

Maybe you'll be on form by tomorrow evening then? Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

After your post on the last page I was about to ask how you'd know that you'll have a bad nights sleep tonight:D:D
    So hope you all sleep well and see you all tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Excellent - as they say in certain parts of North Carolina.

See you all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭derokid

would ye have room for another one in there?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

derokid wrote: »
    would ye have room for another one in there?????

Of course. Don't be shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭derokid

Cheers Kintaro.... not to hot at the night shooting but willing to give it a try...!!!
    Stephens Green gate at 6... ish... lookin forward to it... see ye there....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I blew my wretched sinuses apart diving last night. I will be skipping if you don't mind.

Sorry AnCatDubh.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I just want to say a big Thanks to AnCatDubh for organising tonights walk. I enjoyed meeting new and old faces and getting out for a couple of hours.

Here, here!

We had a great night and I couldn't believe it went so quick. It was 10.00pm before we knew it.

BTW - NOBODY is allowed mention the Father Ted moment ;)

Thanks to all for a most enjoyable evening

4136506953_58f732e8b9.jpg

Model man
    4137270138_52b3bec496.jpg

Posers from tonight! :D

F333AC274C5A45E391E8BCB0140C2143-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah, I walked through you as you went from Grafton St down to Trinity. Was wondering if this was a Boards thing.

Good stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Posing ehh!!! So thats what took ye so long to get down Grafton St.:p

Well thanks to AnCatDubh for organising the walk, and to everyone else for making it enjoyable.

Nice to put faces to names.

Will post photos later - nice Temple bar pic there pixbyjohn!

• Advertisement

Yeah, thanks An Cat Dubh, it was loads of fun... Good to get out taking some shots with people who aren't my Dad! :p

Good to meet you guys- must stick up some pics soon- although most of mine turned out pants!

Zo

Not TOO bad...

43F03D13EC354F0A9FFB1A649E4D29BB-800.jpg

And I quite like this...

48871AD2A4A44A6FAD4BF07305A1D85A-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Thanks again, I had a laugh!

4138260106_990910b20f.jpg

4138260532_7d45d0cf69.jpg

4138260766_fde201cdc6.jpg

They are some nice pics Eightcell!

xmastree.jpg
    Slow shutter speed* didn't work.... so here comes the Layers!idea I had with AnCatDubh ~ proving our brains were also freezing
    karenmillen.jpg
    Best I could do, suggestions on how to make the name stand out?
    carr.jpg

Good stuff you people. Some great shots being posted.

Thank you all so much for turning up and keeping me company for the evening :) I hope you all had fun. I know I did. I guess it wasn't too taxing an evening so hopefully no one had expected lots more. Great to see some new faces and sure the old ones weren't too bad either :cool:

I've lots to process but here's one which i've entitled "a terrible beauty".

A8357DF8117E42278C29B892640C629B.jpg

I'm sorry I had to run before things finished up. Hopefully you all got enough time there. Temple Bar looked mighty prettiful as I walked back, so guess what? I'm up for a temple bar night meet at some stage again (glutton for punishment). Any takers??? :D

Thanks to SinisterDexter for the coffee suggestion. Yum, twas nice stuff - the chocolate cake looked better though!

Again, thanks to everyone for making the effort and coming along. I really appreciate your efforts.

Liam and Treasa - I hope you both are feeling better. Next time maybe?

4139631664_0f90b9f9f4.jpg

Having a fag and a cuppa

975098D7C2B348C8AFAB9AC4954F2DFB.jpg

I'm up for another night out - though I'm out of the country for a week and a bit from Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Great night out the other night, even if it was a short one on my behalf.

A couple of shots from then.

772C1690F3B74F8BBCAD1CC8CAB4E256-500.jpg

76B61C3C38924525AFD4BC59A8B89E92-500.jpg

• Advertisement

Flower lady
    4140792529_764ed3bc83.jpg
    Grafton Street
    4141551590_beb8f128f2.jpg

Advertisement