Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Time Meet Up :: AFTERMATH - #2 26.11.09

Options
  • 22-11-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

As per this thread #1 the time has come for a return visit and to get some more practice in for night time city shooting.

The date: This Thursday 26th, November, 2009
    The time: 6pm for a 6:30pm start.
    The Venue: Dublin City Centre (actual to be decided)

So, first of all we need to gauge the interest. These things work much better when there are more than one photographer taking part! :)Pop a post on the end of the thread to say if you are interested.

The Night Time agenda: (which never appears to go according to plan ;))

Take in some night life, in particular suss out the Christmas lights / shopping areas. That means Grafton Street, Henry St, and on O'Connell Street at this stage (I understand) all have their lights on. Abbey Street last time was busy and would be worth a repeat visit. Also open for a stroll towards the ha'penny / temple bar direction.

There's lots in all of the above and as usual we probably won't get through the half of it. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to take a half time coffee somewhere to warm the heart. Suggestions?

So, what do ye say people? Anyone up for it? Chip in if there are must places to see perhaps lit up now for us.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Weather permitting I'm game. If it's still going to be raining hard then no chance, but if the forecast is good then count me in.

Ah feck yis!
    The one day of the week when I have something on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Enjoyed the last one so I am definitely on for this again.
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Count me in.

I have a spare (crappy) tripod or a gorilla pod if anybody needs.

As for coffee, debenhams if they are still open - get to see down onto the people in Henry St. Not really aware of anywhere else that would be open late.

Could check and see if the Epicurean is open on Abbey St.

Not really a coffee at night kind of guy, night is for drinkin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Ah feck yis!
    The one day of the week when I have something on!

Ditto, rock the vote to Friday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Would love to join again. But will be in NCI til 8. So if you're still around...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

I'm interested and looking forward to it since I missed the last one!

I'll stick around as long as people need. So 8pm should still be fine Xia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Will try and make it, just not sure if I'm doing anything Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

oooh, sounds like fun, i've never been on one before! Pretty sure I'm not doing anything...

:D

I'll stick around as long as people need. So 8pm should still be fine Xia.

Ditto - weather permitting! If we get going at 6.30 I'd say we should just be breaking for coffee at around 8.00ish - I know I'll be getting grumpy without my fix by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

If I make it back from cavan at a reasonable hour on Thursday, I'd love to pop in , say 'ello and take a few schnapps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The list thus far:

AnCatDubh
    pullandbang
    pixbyjohn
    SinisterDexter
    xia - (to join in later)
    eightcell
    Kintarō Hattori
    zoegh
    Buzz Lightyear

Weather Update: Still looking windy and cold but no sign of rain on accuweather at the moment. Gloves, scarfs, fleeces, wind cheeter, rain mack (I don't trust weather people) -> all recommended.

If all that comes to pass it will be a reasonably big group. Need to be careful of innocent bystanders (shoppers) - some of these streets are likely to be busy, and 9 photographers spread across Grafton street may be a little too distracting.

I'm looking forward to it - a few new faces in the list too and some familiar ones.

Check back before then and we'll settle on a meeting place - perhaps do the start on Grafton Street thing if that makes sense to people. We'll pick an exact spot nearer the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Damn! I have training on Thursday evenings at 1930 in Phionex Park! Working Friday night and off to England on Saturday morning! I'm never free anymore!!

Buzz is coming - are we staying in Public places? :p

Originally posted by SinisterDexter
    I have a spare (crappy) tripod or a gorilla pod if anybody needs.

Any chance I could borrow it? Tripod is on my Christmas list... :D

Absolutely no problem.

Thanks a million!!

Would anybody PM me his mobile so that I can find you as Kintarō Hattori sounded a little vague whether he can make it?

• Advertisement

xia wrote: »
    Would anybody PM me his mobile so that I can find you as Kintarō Hattori sounded a little vague whether he can make it?

Done!

xia wrote: »

No I'll be there for sure! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

Damn I missed the first one last Friday week and cant make this one, Pencil me in for the next one REGARDS
    Aidan

No I'll be there for sure! :)

Famous last words and the worst nights sleep ever means I'm not likely to attend, sorry. :(

Suggested Route Approx 1.8miles in length

Feedback on the route would be welcome. If i've included a "no go" area then please do let me know and i'll update.

Starting point of outside the Entrance to St. Stephen's Green as indicated on the map.

Accuweather is still giving it cold and windy but guess what ? Still no rain. Yay!

Wrap up warm folks.

Looks good, but where is the coffee?

That little walk is never 1.8 miles, is it? Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Thats a nice little route to be taking, we will get alot in going that way... excellent!

• Advertisement

zoegh wrote: »
    That little walk is never 1.8 miles, is it? Mad.

meh! you got me. I didn't check it myself, but Mr. Google said it was so I was only taking his word.

Actually, what I found a little surprising on the last night walk a week or two ago was how quickly time flew when you stopped in a spot, everyone got a chance to shoot for a few minutes, and then moving on. Time will pass by very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get all of this in to be honest.

By the way, i've a tripod going if anyone is short of one. It's a cheap-y one which I wouldn't trust free standing with a large weight lens plus dSLR combination but xia used it last time out with her DSLR and it was ok. Just don't abandon it with your baby on top of it (particularly if we have gusty conditions). Camera owner beware. ((better than not having one is what i mean)).

I'll summarise things in a post later.

Advertisement