Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is purgutory real ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

kelly1, Slav I'm sorry you won't continue the debate. But your posts were very interesting.

For all Christians, I'd love to know views on the following, in simple terms. Is this right?

Saved = accepting Jesus as our saviour and accepting His sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins.

Saved != holiness

Saved != saintliness

The saints are the ones who go straight to heaven. What is in between being saved and being a saint?

Surely God only begins to mould us when we accept His son but many of His works of art die before becoming His masterpieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

[quote=Slav;63166810

Where is Purgatory?Peter wrote about Sheol here and Sheol is not Purgatory, is it?

[/quote]

Perhaps it is! ....and perhaps it is the place that we 'know' exists in Scripture, between the 1st and 2nd judgement.

Some Christians believe this to be like a 'sleep' and others call it Hades etc.

So we are all in agreement there is a 'third' state other than 'heaven' and 'hell' for people who have passed on? Be it, Hades, Sleep, Purgatory.

I think Kelly has made an excellent case for the 'Catholic' version of the 3rd place / state...........showing the very good references to the common belief in the early Church by the Church Fathers themselves ( which I read, and they truely are convincing and worth the debate! ) and points to several Scripture passages too...that certainly do need some logical assessment and serious discussion....

There was never any arguement in the early church about 'prayers for the dead' ( which is tied in with the dogma of Purgatory ) until the reformation.

I certainly do believe there is such a place, 'another' state other than heaven or hell, where when we aren't quite ready for heaven we go to be prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lmaopml wrote: »
    Perhaps it is! ....and perhaps it is the place that we 'know' exists in Scripture, between the 1st and 2nd judgement.

I'm not sure if there is a place in the middle. There will be a judgement, new Earth and new Jerusalem (heaven), and Hell will be formed. Sheol will probably no longer exist. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
    So we are all in agreement there is a 'third' state other than 'heaven' and 'hell' for people who have passed on? Be it, Hades, Sleep, Purgatory.

Not quite. See above.
    I think Kelly has made an excellent case for the 'Catholic' version of the 3rd place / state...........showing the very good references to the common belief in the early Church by the Church Fathers themselves ( which I read, and they truely are convincing and worth the debate! ) and points to several Scripture passages too...that certainly do need some logical assessment and serious discussion....

Yes, I believe Noel (kelly1) has brought some good points to the discussion. The problem is that the concept of purgatory is not specifically in the Bible. That is the reason why people who are of a non-Catholic position find it difficult to regard the idea of purgatory. My own denomination argues that purgatory is contrived, and has no Biblical basis. I'm obliged to agree, because this is true.

The Church Fathers are fallible, and are subject to error. Hence why I find people like Thomas Aquinas and Augustine to be interesting, but it does not mean that I am obliged to agree with them without question.

The most interesting Catholic case I have read involves the instance in the 2 Maccabees (chapter 12) when Judas Maccabeus' (Yehuda HaMaccabi) army are killed by God due to wearing pagan symbols. In this case Judas offers a sacrifice for the sake that they might be spared the punishment of God.

This was the closest I have got to being convinced of purgatory. I then looked to the passage again. Nowhere does it say that God forgave these men in any way. It merely said that Judas offered a sacrifice in the hope that they would be forgiven.

As a result, this passage cannot be used as evidence for purgatory. Especially since most Protestants do not include 2 Maccabees in their Bibles. I read it out of interest in the pursuit of having read the Greek Orthodox and Catholic scriptures. These books are also recognised by the Church of Ireland to a limited degree, but we are advised not to form doctrine from them.
    There was never any arguement in the early church about 'prayers for the dead' ( which is tied in with the dogma of Purgatory ) until the reformation.

I'm not sure this was true. If you are referring to the stage after the Apostles this may be true. However, Paul argued that we cannot be saved except by believing in Jesus Christ.

If we are Christians, and if we have sinned. We have received the mercy of Jesus Christ, we have been cleansed entirely by His grace. This is again another issue I have debated with numerous times with a well meaning Catholic friend. We can be forgiven our sins by Jesus Christ alone, nothing else including purgatory is necessary.

About the Reformation, I'm incredibly biased about this. I personally believe it was if not the best thing that happened to the church since Jesus Christ and the Apostles, one of the best things certainly.
    I certainly do believe there is such a place, 'another' state other than heaven or hell, where when we aren't quite ready for heaven we go to be prepared.

I believe we must be ready to meet our maker. By the by, what do you think happens in purgatory?

Thanks for being so engaging with the topic by the way :)

I hope you don't mind, I still haven't mastered the multiquote thing, so I'll just use colours intead..:)
    Jakkass wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is a place in the middle. There will be a judgement, new Earth and new Jerusalem (heaven), and Hell will be formed. Sheol will probably no longer exist. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

So would I.

Yes, I believe Noel (kelly1) has brought some good points to the discussion. The problem is that the concept of purgatory is not specifically in the Bible. This is true, however it doesn't disprove the existence of purgatory, or that belief in 'prayers for the dead' and a 'sanctifying' has always been part of Church teaching...The words 'Trinity' and 'Incarnation' are not found in Scripture either.... That is the reason why people who are of a non-Catholic position find it difficult to regard the idea of purgatory. My own denomination argues that purgatory is contrived, and has no Biblical basis. I'm obliged to agree, because this is true. Depending on perspective?

I think you have hit on the major difference here....it's major and minor too I guess, because we are all Christians at the end of the day. Catholics go by ancient tradition too in order to try to get the fuller picture......right back to before our New Testament scripture and during the time that our new testament scripture came into being, when Christians used 'word of mouth' and wrote letters to various churches, what they did...how they acted etc. There is an interim between the Old and New Testament that we take very seriously, as seriously as scripture, because one interprets the other...

The Church Fathers are fallible, and are subject to error. Hence why I find people like Thomas Aquinas and Augustine to be interesting, but it does not mean that I am obliged to agree with them without question.

Ah yes! Or Maccabies....! So, what is 'infallible'? Surely the Church fathers of the early Church would have known more than the church fathers of the reformed church? Are they infallible?

The most interesting Catholic case I have read involves the instance in the 2 Maccabees (chapter 12) when Judas Maccabeus' (Yehuda HaMaccabi) army are killed by God due to wearing pagan symbols. In this case Judas offers a sacrifice for the sake that they might be spared the punishment of God.

This was the closest I have got to being convinced of purgatory. I then looked to the passage again. Nowhere does it say that God forgave these men in any way. It merely said that Judas offered a sacrifice in the hope that they would be forgiven.

As a result, this passage cannot be used as evidence for purgatory. Especially since most Protestants do not include 2 Maccabees in their Bibles. I read it out of interest in the pursuit of having read the Greek Orthodox and Catholic scriptures. These books are also recognised by the Church of Ireland to a limited degree, but we are advised not to form doctrine from them.

The Catholic Church historically has 73 books....after the reformation, 'I think' you guys have 66 books? The Palistinian Canon?

I'm not sure this was true. If you are referring to the stage after the Apostles this may be true. However, Paul argued that we cannot be saved except by believing in Jesus Christ.

Ahh the 'big' difference!...and this is where the debate would always lead, I'm sure you will agree! I would agree to disagree on this too, as the Catholic Church wouldn't say Paul 'argued' that point at all....Catholics too believe that we are saved in Jesus, but not just by 'faith' alone....we have to practice it outwardly in charity to our fellow Christians...and we are judged on 'both'.

If we are Christians, and if we have sinned. We have received the mercy of Jesus Christ, we have been cleansed entirely by His grace. This is again another issue I have debated with numerous times with a well meaning Catholic friend. We can be forgiven our sins by Jesus Christ alone, nothing else including purgatory is necessary.

About the Reformation, I'm incredibly biased about this. LOL I personally believe it was if not the best thing that happened to the church since Jesus Christ and the Apostles, one of the best things certainly.

You are entitled to that :)as are others to their own faith too....we're all finding our way..

I believe we must be ready to meet our maker. Me too! He is one and the same

By the by, what do you think happens in purgatory?

Catholics believe, and again I'm open to correction because I'm kinda new to it....... that literally nothing unclean can enter heaven, and that sin of any kind no matter how much 'faith' one has stains the soul unless we are truely truely sorry for it....We believe purgatory basically cleanses us for God's presence of those sins we have kept in our heart and never truely acknowledged even to ourselves....and confessed to God.

Thanks for being so engaging with the topic by the way :)

You too :) It's good to see the differences, and I find it very interesting, because as I say I'm learning too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

If purgatory is real then there is no such thing as justification through Christ. It states four times in scripture that the just by faith shall live.

“Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.” Habakkuk 2:4

“For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.” Romans 1:17

“But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.” Galatians 3:11

“Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.” Hebrews 10:38

But what does it mean to be just? To be just means that you are justified in God’s sight. And when you are justified in God’s sight you are viewed as just like Christ even though you are not, just as He was viewed as just like us when God poured out His wrath on Him on the cross even though He was not.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21

So if you are going to heaven then it is because of your faith in Christ who justifies you. In short, even though you might be a sinner according to the flesh you are not seen as a sinner from God's point of view anymore as long as you keep your faith connection in Christ. You are seen or viewed as just like Jesus judicially speaking, even tough you are not. Just like courts of law on earth who hold people innocent until proven guilty. That is what’s known as judicial imputation of innocence even though you might be as guilty as hell.

For faith, God imputes righteousness to us. Our faith is what gets us that status before God, not our performance. So if we are justified by Christ, then why do we need to be purged through suffering in purgatory? If there is such a place then there is no such thing as justification in Christ. Or if there is justification through the blood of Christ and there is also a need for purgatory, then the blood of Christ is not very efficacious is it? Which is like saying that the sufferings of Christ were not enough to purge us from our sins. Does anyone want to stand before God the Father and tell Him that the blood of His only begotten Son was not good enough to purge us form our sins? I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Rb wrote: »
    And you see nothing humourous about taking the (very conflicting) words of men who lived in caves and mud huts a few thousand years ago as evidence in this day and age?

No, I don't. But if you want to assert that it is humorous then I suggest the Atheist and Agnostic forum as a place where you can express that view. (But first of all you may want to brush up on your history and geography. The biblical authors lived in houses and tents.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    Even if our faith takes precedence over our actions, surely we must try to live good lives too?

The problem with that is that we can’t, not in our own strength, we need God to quicken our mortal bodies. By simply trusting in God’s promises, which is what faith is, we connect to God and a sort of conduit is established where He places in us a deposit of His own nature. Maintained long enough this deposit of God’s spirit-life will effect change in our nature, produce good works and lead to even more faith which in turn will lead on to bigger and better good works. Good works are simply the fruits or expressions of God’s spirit in us by faith. If we lose the faith connection then it is like turning the power switch off. No amount of fumbling around in the dark trying to imitate Jesus will pass muster with God. If you are not acting in faith on His promises then His spirit is not working in you and if His spirit is not working in you then you are none of His. All the good works in the world are nothing without faith. We cannot get God’s spirit in us by deserving it by our works. We can never deserve it. The word grace means unmerited favor, it cannot be earned. Sure God wants to see fruit but we cannot produce that fruit without faith. So it is imperative that the focus on faith alone be maintained, else the connection be lost and no amount of will power induced good works will suffice because without faith it is impossible to please God. Hebrews 11:6
    Yes, we must all believe in order to be saved, but are we really saved by faith alone.?

Yes we are saved by faith alone. As said above, the rest all flows from faith anyway. Even if we produce the best works in the world due to our faith in God, those works are not the basis by which God saves us, it is always based on our faith, which is simply trusting in His Word of promise daily.
    It just seems too simple that a lesser-committed believer (but a believer nonetheless) is entitled to the same treatment as someone who has consciously committed their lives to their faith.

If you think that God’s ways are unfair then listen to the lesson Jesus Himself teaches in The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard:

"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard. "About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' So they went. "He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?' " 'Because no one has hired us,' they answered. "He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.' When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.' "The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.' "But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?' "So the last will be first, and the first will be last." Matthew 20:1-16
    This is how Purgatory can allow for the salvation of both, as they are judged by the standards by which they each lived their lives.

Well the parable above suggests that everyone gets paid by the same method, no matter how long you have been committed to God in your life. Genuine death bed conversions are as valid as childhood ones, as long as faith in God’s promises is there, then God is bound by His Word to honor it. The parable above teaches that God does not discriminate between early starters and late starters.
    Perhaps faith can be understood as something we perform or live out, so this makes good works an important consequence of faith?

That’s true. But don’t put the cart before the horse. Faith produces good works, good works cannot produce faith. "...faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17 There are millions of people who do good works all the time but have no faith in God. God wants faith first then He’ll be please with the works that flow there-from.
    Also, I may be wrong, but I understand that Jesus died specifically to make reparation for Adam and Eve's transgression, and that our baptism affirms this. Therefore we are still responsible for what actions we take and what sins we commit throughout our lives, and we must make reparation for them ourselves. This doesn't undermine the fact that humanity could not have been saved without Jesus, but we are still capable of sin, and we still must pay for it.

Jesus made reparation for all sins. Every man's, woman's, and child's throughout all of history. That’s how precious His blood is. To turn around and say that we must also make reparations is to insult God and to trod underfoot the blood of Christ. Because of one man’s sin God put all of us under death, but because of one Man’s death God has opened the door back to Him and we walk through that door by faith, we can never earn what He did for us.

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God; Not of works, lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:8-9
    Sorry if my post is meandering, I'm trying to think this thread out. And it's 1.30.

I forgive you. Late nights can make us think all kinds of stupid things. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I have a book that says it's real. So it must be.

This is true, however it doesn't disprove the existence of purgatory, or that belief in 'prayers for the dead' and a 'sanctifying' has always been part of Church teaching...The words 'Trinity' and 'Incarnation' are not found in Scripture either....

Right. Although the word "Trinity", and "Incarnation" are not themselves in scripture. The concept of the Immanuel, and the reference of Father, Son and Holy Spirit are made clear in Scripture.

I don't think I could argue the same in respect to purgatory. The best we get is the term "prison" which doesn't lead us any closer to the concept of purgatory. Prison could well refer to hell in many peoples mindsets rather than purgatory. As far as I know most people equate it to Sheol due to the fact that the judgement hasn't come.

However, it is a stretch to suggest that Sheol is a place of punishment. There isn't anything really to suggest this either.

Personally, in my case, if I cannot find a solid basis for something in Scripture, it makes it more difficult to subscribe to it in terms of theology.
    I think you have hit on the major difference here....it's major and minor too I guess, because we are all Christians at the end of the day. Catholics go by ancient tradition too in order to try to get the fuller picture......right back to before our New Testament scripture and during the time that our new testament scripture came into being, when Christians used 'word of mouth' and wrote letters to various churches, what they did...how they acted etc. There is an interim between the Old and New Testament that we take very seriously, as seriously as scripture, because one interprets the other...

Well, people of a Reformed mindset would look to Old Testament writings in order to give light to the New Testament. The Old Testament scriptures serve as a shadow for what is to come.

I personally think that it is better to focus on what is necessary for salvation first and foremost before divulging into other texts, which of course can be valuable with discernment.

The reason why the Apocrypha wasn't included in post-Luther Bibles was because it was not included in the Jewish Scriptures (as you say Palestinian Canon) following Christ.
    Ah yes! Or Maccabies....! So, what is 'infallible'? Surely the Church fathers of the early Church would have known more than the church fathers of the reformed church? Are they infallible?

Infallible, being that it is God revealed rather than the result of human reasoning.

Bearing in mind that I do not take the opinion of either the Reformers or of the Church Fathers to be infallible but rather what is contained in the Bible which contains all things necessary for salvation.
    The Catholic Church historically has 73 books....after the reformation, 'I think' you guys have 66 books? The Palistinian Canon?

That's right, the Church of Ireland do accept the use the 73 book Bible but do not allow any doctrine to be formed based on the Apocryphal books.
    Ahh the 'big' difference!...and this is where the debate would always lead, I'm sure you will agree! I would agree to disagree on this too, as the Catholic Church wouldn't say Paul 'argued' that point at all....Catholics too believe that we are saved in Jesus, but not just by 'faith' alone....we have to practice it outwardly in charity to our fellow Christians...and we are judged on 'both'.

I think that faith is not proper unless it bears fruit. Jesus made this clear with his demonstration of the fig tree. However, we can only bear fruit if we have faith in the first place.

Nobody says that we shouldn't live a good and honourable Christian life, rather this comes as the fruit of faith. If this fruit does not show, it is not faith at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

kelly1, Slav I'm sorry you won't continue the debate. But your posts were very interesting.
    It's a long drawn-out debate with multiple points to respond to that I'm trying to avoid. I don't have the time. I prefer to deal with one point at a time. One of the downfalls of this forum I believe.
    For all Christians, I'd love to know views on the following, in simple terms. Is this right?

Saved = accepting Jesus as our saviour and accepting His sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins.

Saved != holiness

Saved != saintliness

The saints are the ones who go straight to heaven. What is in between being saved and being a saint?

Surely God only begins to mould us when we accept His son but many of His works of art die before becoming His masterpieces.

For a Catholic, being saved means dying in a state of grace i.e. with the Holy Spirit dwelling within our soul. I'm not going to dare say who is and who isn't saved but I do know what salvation is only possible through Jesus. But we must persevere to the end in avoiding sin (and doing good works) i.e. finish the race.

We remain in the state of grace until we commit mortal sin i.e. a sin which is grave (e.g. breaking the 10 commandments and related sins), is done with our knowledge that it's grave and is done freely. But we are again justified when we confess our sins and ask for God's mercy and pardon for the offence against His goodness.

Venials sins, i.e. ones which aren't as serious e.g spending too much time on the net while ignoring ones family (:)) do not merit eternal damnation but do close us off to the action of God's grace. When we die, the effect of these sins is carried with us into the next life and they must be erased in purgatory. Ideally out purgatory should happen on earth so we don't have to go to the real purgatory.

The way I look at it, God want us to be truly mature followers of Christ and that means being serious about loving God and others and not glossing over our short-comings. Sin upsets the order that God has established in the universe so I don't think He's going to simply overlook our failings. While Jesus saves us from hell, we still have a price to pay for the sins we commit. Why would it be otherwise? What about divine Justice?

Jesus told us to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect but who among us can claim to be perfect. Not me for sure! Only the perfect will enter heaven, only those who are totally oriented to the will of God. We're all inclined to overlook our selfishness but it will catch up with us.

That's what I think anyway! :)

Why would we have a price to pay, if Jesus died for the sins of the world (all of them)?

Why would we have a price to pay, if Jesus died for the sins of the world (all of them)?
    To give an extreme example, lets say Hitler converted and repented just before he died. Would you expect God to welcome him into heaven with open arms, no questions asked, not a word about the holocaust of God's chosen people?

Would it be fair that someone who sacrificed their lives to live for Christ (e.g. Mother Teresa) would be treated the same as Hitler??

Do people really think that God doesn't take past sins into account on the day of judgment as long as we believe in Jesus?

Part of repentance is recognising that you deserve to go to hell. I personally don't believe any human on this earth is good enough to go to heaven. We are only restored to that position by Christ's mercy. If Hitler had genuinely repented of his sins, and if Hitler genuinely changed as a person, I would see no reason why under the Christian framework he would not be able to be forgiven.

Edit: I am no more deserving of heaven than Hitler is. I don't deserve it at all, it is only for grace that this option is possible.

Plus Hitler was a Roman Catholic. He was baptized, made holy communion, was confirmed etc... I thought under Catholicism that made you OK with God? Please correct me if I'm wrong. But if that is the case then there is no purgatory for Hitler.

Noel in all seriousness, purgatory is a man made tradition based on pagan idolatry. The idea is not unique to nor does it have its origins in Christianity. If it was true then there would be a lot more said about in the New Testament surely. Such a place would be somewhere to avoid. Jesus spoke more about hell than He did about Heaven and yet not a word about Purgatory. I can respect that you believe it exists because of your Catholic faith but trying to shape it into a scriptural doctrine is pointless. It doesn't fit in. The closest you'll come is Hades or Sheol or Paradise. This place does seem to be divided in two by some sort of chasm, where on one side there is torment and on the other side there is joy, possibly the place where Jesus descended to after He expired on the cross in order preach to those on the joy side, where Abraham was with the servant boy in the parable Jesus told about the rich servant who had the easy life, and where Jesus said He would be with one of the two thieves, but neither of these places is either heaven or the lake of fire and neither of these places is described as a place to be purged of sin through suffering. Those left in the torment side will eventually be cast into the lake of fire as described in the book of Revelation, those on the joy side will rise in the resurrection to eternal life with Christ. The only purging for sins that went on in the New Testament was Christ's on the cross. And that is based on His own nature which is eternal. His sacrifice will always be forever adequate and there'll never come a time when some purging is needed from us. If we could purge ourselves from sin then we would not need Christ in the first place. If that's true on earth and its true in heaven then even if Purgatory did exist it would be true there to. It would be a place where a sinner would forever be suffering, because no amount of suffering on our part can purge us from our sin. Only the sufferings of Christ can do that, because His suffering was perfect, ours can never be.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

darno wrote: »
    is purgutory real ?,,,,,,,i hope so i want my family and friends to be saved

HAH! of course purgutory exists! However if you give generously to your church collection tray then you can spend less time there or even skip it altogether

Part of repentance is recognising that you deserve to go to hell. I personally don't believe any human on this earth is good enough to go to heaven. We are only restored to that position by Christ's mercy.
    Agreed, none of us is worthy. But I believe what makes us worthy to enter heaven is the presence of the Holy Spirit in our souls and our union with Jesus in the Body of Christ.
    If Hitler had genuinely repented of his sins, and if Hitler genuinely changed as a person, I would see no reason why under the Christian framework he would not be able to be forgiven.
    I think our understand of forgiveness is a bit different. I believe Hitler would be forgiven the guilt of his sins i.e he'd be saved from hell. Afterall, isn't salvation being saved from hell?

But I still think there's a price to pay for sins committed. To use an analogy, let's say I broke and window and got caught by the owner of the house. If I don't say sorry, he's going to get me sent to jail. But if I say I'm sorry and offer to pay to get the window fixed, he'll agree not to call the guards.

So I think when we're forgiven it means not going to jail but we still have to pay the price for the damage done. And I think this is what Jesus meant in Mt. 5:26 "Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny".

I also think good works and penance are the means by which we pay the "temporal" (not eternal) price for our sins. I believe 1 Peter 4:8 backs this up:
    "... for charity covers a multitude of sins".

Plus Hitler was a Roman Catholic. He was baptized, made holy communion, was confirmed etc... I thought under Catholicism that made you OK with God? Please correct me if I'm wrong. But if that is the case then there is no purgatory for Hitler.
    Baptism etc is no guarantee of salvation. It doesn't prevent us from commiting mortal sins.
    .....His sacrifice will always be forever adequate and there'll never come a time when some purging is needed from us. If we could purge ourselves from sin then we would not need Christ in the first place. If that's true on earth and its true in heaven then even if Purgatory did exist it would be true there to. It would be a place where a sinner would forever be suffering, because no amount of suffering on our part can purge us from our sin. Only the sufferings of Christ can do that, because His suffering was perfect, ours can never be.
    You seem to have completely misunderstoody my posts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭patmartino

Ok, we now are agreed that

Limbo, purgatory, are not in the bible.

how does the church still explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

NO!

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    Baptism etc is no guarantee of salvation. It doesn't prevent us from commiting mortal sins.

So can you get in if you don't get baptised etc...?

You seem to have completely misunderstoody my posts :(

You're probably right but can you point out exactly where please?

patmartino wrote: »
    Ok, we now are agreed that

Limbo, purgatory, are not in the bible.
    Yes, not explicitly i.e not given a name.
    patmartino wrote: »
    how does the church still explain this?
    Using theological reasoning to interpret Scripture.

Hitler was baptised a Roman Catholic by his Mother and Father. According to historian Michael Rissmann, a young Hitler was influenced in school by Pan Germanism and began to reject the Church and Catholicism, receiving Confirmation only unwillingly. A boyhood friend reports that after Hitler had left home, he never attended Mass or received the Sacraments.

Early on, Hitler expressed his opinion about God and religion as follows, "We do not want any other god than Germany itself. It is essential to have fanatical faith and hope and love in and for Germany..

A public statement from later, after he decided it was worth his while to not antagonise Christianity into looking into his blatant anti-Christian party...
    "The National Government regards the two Christian confessions (i.e. Catholicism and Protestantism as factors essential to the soul of the German people. ..."

So, basically Hitler was an atheist, and a real cute one too ;)

Now that is establised. No your mistaken 'baptism' doesn't guarantee being 'OK with God' Catholicism is not that simple.

Noel in all seriousness, purgatory is a man made tradition based on pagan idolatry. In your opinion..And yet the Jews and early Christians ( Years before the New Testament was ever first penned...) even in the time of the Aposles practiced praying for the dead, and not a whisper of condemnation?? Strange that don't you think? The idea is not unique to nor does it have its origins in Christianity. If it was true then there would be a lot more said about in the New Testament surely. There is, and the verses are there in black and white - and the Church has stated it's position on Purgatory - perhaps your version of Hades or I know some of you have a doctrine of a sleep of some sort, between the 1st and 2nd judgement? I don't know there are so many versions of the third place - However, in ancient practice of the first Christians it's very clear what they believed and they were closer to the apostles....and Catholics believe that the Pope is the only one guided by the Holy Spirit to interpret the bible correctly. We believe that Jesus established one Church for all time...This makes sense to me as a person seeking 'faith', I'm new to it, and the Catholic Church seems to me to have more authority as it is the Church established by Jesus himself....Such a place would be somewhere to avoid. Jesus spoke more about hell than He did about Heaven and yet not a word about Purgatory. Jesus also said that sins against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this world or the next....( Which implies that some sins are forgiven in the next, and also establishes the need for 'forgiveness' in the first place along with having 'faith'......I can respect that you believe it exists because of your Catholic faith but trying to shape it into a scriptural doctrine is pointless. It doesn't fit in. The closest you'll come is Hades or Sheol or Paradise. This place does seem to be divided in two by some sort of chasm, where on one side there is torment and on the other side there is joy, possibly the place where Jesus descended to after He expired on the cross in order preach to those on the joy side, where Abraham was with the servant boy in the parable Jesus told about the rich servant who had the easy life, and where Jesus said He would be with one of the two thieves, but neither of these places is either heaven or the lake of fire and neither of these places is described as a place to be purged of sin through suffering. Those left in the torment side will eventually be cast into the lake of fire as described in the book of Revelation, those on the joy side will rise in the resurrection to eternal life with Christ. The only purging for sins that went on in the New Testament was Christ's on the cross. And that is based on His own nature which is eternal. His sacrifice will always be forever adequate and there'll never come a time when some purging is needed from us. If we could purge ourselves from sin then we would not need Christ in the first place. If that's true on earth and its true in heaven then even if Purgatory did exist it would be true there to. It would be a place where a sinner would forever be suffering, because no amount of suffering on our part can purge us from our sin. Only the sufferings of Christ can do that, because His suffering was perfect, ours can never be.
    I agree with a lot of what you say here.....However, where do you think this 'third' place is exactly and what are the different versions among the various denominations? I would be interested to know?

I agree with a lot of what you say here.....However, where do you think this 'third' place is exactly and what are the different versions among the various denominations? I would be interested to know?

May I ask you to use multi quotes please? All you need to do is put the text you want to respond to into brackets formatted as follows:

Samplequote.jpg

It should look like this when you post it:
    Text you want to specifically respond to.

Use this format and your good to go. If you can edit your last post in this fashion I can reply better. Cheers ;)

So I think when we're forgiven it means not going to jail but we still have to pay the price for the damage done. And I think this is what Jesus meant in Mt. 5:26 "Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny".

This is what confuses me. In 1 Corinthians 6:20 and 7:23 according to Paul we were bought for a price. Our sins were atoned for, and according to Romans 8:1, we have nothing to fear if we are truly to believe in Jesus Christ.

Saying that there is still a price to be paid in addition to Christ's crucifixion, implies that Christ's crucifixion wasn't enough.

This is what confuses me. In 1 Corinthians 6:20 and 7:23 according to Paul we were bought for a price. Our sins were atoned for, and according to Romans 8:1, we have nothing to fear if we are truly to believe in Jesus Christ.

Saying that there is still a price to be paid in addition to Christ's crucifixion, implies that Christ's crucifixion wasn't enough.
    Yes all true, we will be saved from hell but who says we will be saved from all suffering?

Romans 8:1 says "Hence, now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". But what is condemnation? Is it not damnation?

Also how then do you explain 1 Peter 4:8? i.e. "[our] charity covers a multitude of sins"? According to you Jesus atones for all sin. So is scripture wrong?

Again for the sake of clarity, I'm saying that Christ saves us from eternal punishment (hell) but we pay a "temporal" price in Purgatory assuming we haven't paid the price on earth through penance and good works.

Yes all true, we will be saved from hell but who says we will be saved from all suffering?

That isn't the main point we need to explore, we first need to explore what basis there is for purgatory in the first place. There is no discussion in the Bible on the nature of purgatory, or even whether or not it will be a place of pain even if it did exist.
    Romans 8:1 says "Hence, now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". But what is condemnation? Is it not damnation?

If purgatory exists, we still have much to fear.
    Also how then do you explain 1 Peter 4:8? i.e. "[our] charity covers a multitude of sins"? According to you Jesus atones for all sin. So is scripture wrong?

No, it isn't.

My translation deals with the verse as follows:
    Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins

Indeed, loving one another is the fulfilment of the law. Hence it does cover a multitude of sins.
    Love does no wrong to a neighbour; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

There is no implication of purgatory in that passage.
    Again for the sake of clarity, I'm saying that Christ saves us from eternal punishment (hell) but we pay a "temporal" price in Purgatory assuming we haven't paid the price on earth through penance and good works.

I don't believe we are saved by works, but by grace. We respond in love and fellowship to one another because we are reminded of the amazing grace of Jesus Christ in our lives. There is no reward for good works, rather we can given a free gift of grace through belief and acting upon it. Works implies that it is deserved, we don't deserve heaven. Without God, we are all deserving of hell.

The point is, Jesus has paid the price, one and all. His death is entirely sufficient. Hence the role of purgatory seems to be nonsensical to me.

That isn't the main point we need to explore, we first need to explore what basis there is for purgatory in the first place.
    There is no discussion in the Bible on the nature of purgatory, or even whether or not it will be a place of pain even if it did exist.
    I'll come back to you on this. Need to do some research.
    If purgatory exists, we still have much to fear.
    The verse said condemnation, not fear.
    I don't believe we are saved by works, but by grace.
    I totally agree!! No argument there. But purgatory isn't about salvation!
    There is no reward for good works........
    Can you back this up with Scripture? What about Matthew 5:12 "12 Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven"?

This reward isn't the product of works. But by bearing fruit in faith. Faith has signs, if the signs aren't apparent it isn't living. At least that is my take on the Paul / James dilemma. This reward isn't deserved, but is the gift of God.

• Advertisement

This reward isn't the product of works. But by bearing fruit in faith. Faith has signs, if the signs aren't apparent it isn't living. At least that is my take on the Paul / James dilemma. This reward isn't deserved, but is the gift of God.

Hi Jackass,

Are we splitting hairs a little on the justification? Do Protestants believe that if they have faith, even if it doesn't show outwardly that they are 'saved'? or do Protestants believe that if one has true faith that the other ( outward charity ) will follow, and if it doesn't then the faith wasn't true in the first place? I'm picking up that it's something like that?

Whereas Catholics say that justifcation is first and foremost by faith, but that acts of charity ( in other words showing this faith in action ) are very important too? The teaching in the Catholic church to my understanding is that we aren't 'justified' by acts, but that they are as pleasing to God as having a true faith.....and we are judged on both.

So are we going around the globe to say something similar? only in a 'different' way? Or is the difference that Protestants believe they are just saved by believing and nothing else is necessary? *Scratches head*

Advertisement