Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Val Falvey TD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

what a load of twat..first impression is not good at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

mike65 wrote: »
    The first series of Blackadder didn't really work.

You could use that line on any show that had a poor first series but it wouldn't make it true. Should they keep recommissioning every bad sitcom on the off-chance that it might get better next year?

Remember, BlackAdder had a partial change of writing staff (and a drastic change of scope and characters) for the second series, so it's not a typical case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not even one laugh throughout, I thought it was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Y'know I really must remember to use the ;) next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Awful :/

I was really hoping for something but couldn't wait for it to be over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

Sorry Mike, I didn't see the sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I only had time to watch the first 5 minutes or so. I enjoyed what I saw. I will check it out on the RTÉ Player tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

I was really looking forward to this show as i know some of the people involved in its production, but what a bloody let down, its forced, unfunny and a bit boring. Who commissions this drivel? I know its easy to jump on the band wagon and slag off everything RTE produces but yet again they fail to deliver a comedy containing a few laughs. it really makes me glad that I don't pay the licence fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I thought it was decent enough,wasn't laugh out loud funny but it had a few decent moments,it wasn't cringe worthingly bad anyway which is a good achievement for a RTE comedy.
    I'll give it a few more show's before I make my mind up on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

The premise has so much potential, especially when O'Hanlon and Matthews are involved.

But jaysus that was piss poor. A couple of chuckles were about as far as it got, most of it reminded me of the latter series of Killinaskully, cringing and quite boring. I'll be giving it another go next week, not too confident though.

RTE is crying out for a comedy along the lines of 'Peep Show'...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I sniggered....twice. Thats about it. Could've been worse but could've been an awful lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I've being looking forward to this all week, very disappointed:(, but hopefully it will improve.
    I thought Patrick McDonnell was funny, even though he wasn't on for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I can think of nothing positive to say about this first episode so I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

I thought it was decent enough,wasn't laugh out loud funny but it had a few decent moments,it wasn't cringe worthingly bad anyway which is a good achievement for a RTE comedy.
    I'll give it a few more show's before I make my mind up on it though.
    I truly was expecting an apologistic post along these lines. But, wow, to hit all the defence cliches so accurately is startling!

Mediocrity really is the new excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I truly was expecting an apologistic post along these lines. But, wow, to hit all the defence cliches so accurately is startling!

Mediocrity really is the new excellence.

eh, just because he didnt completely denounce it? The IT crowd's first few episodes were cac, as were blackadder's. Theres potential there, and theres nothing wrong with giving it a good shot before condemning it.

eh, just because he didnt completely denounce it?

No. Not because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

I think this is very promising. Certainly it takes a few wrong turns. I could do without the twee near-surrealism of swimming flippers and Eurovision tickets. Was there a single viewer who didn't know that the bike was going into the river? And there is too much self-conscious cutesiness (characters oh-so-rurally saying baldy instead of bald, etc).

But some of the writing is sharp. I actually liked the Nazi/Pearse joke. I also think the supporting roles are very strong. Enda Oates was measured, instead of sending it up, and Owen Roe as the sidekick was just terrific. And I'd tune in again for the theme song alone.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, basically. I'd call that a victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

Surely the first episode should engage an audience so that they come back and watch the rest of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Its a stinker...straight to the wheelie bin for Val Falvey TD.

Ardal O'Hanlon is crap in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deckydunbar

Not as bad as most Irish comedy lately. But not as good as 95% of UK sitcoms lately. RTE. WE NEED A DECENT SITCOM. CONTEMPORARY. Think Peep Show. Think Pulling. Think Inbetweeners. Think The Smoking Room. Think.

Back to Val. Liked Ardal more than anyone else in it. His sidekick and swimming cap lad are the usual RTE actors, in everything. We need new COMEDY talent. It's too Kilinaskully for my tastes. In the current climate it missed more open goals than Ireland the other night. Could do with a "Thick of It" over here with NAMA and all that.

Two or three clever lines, including the Nazi one. I once read that some of the biggest sitcom cliches are looking after dogs and falling off bikes...

Would give it one more chance but can't ever see myself ordering the box set off Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

What tripe! With Arthur Matthews teaming up with Dougal again, I was expecting a lot of laughs and was so disappointed.

RTE can sing for the licence fee and I WILL be able to handle the shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

I thought it was horrendous. Not a laugh once. Plenty of cringe moments where I actually felt sorry for the cast.

I smiled once. That was when McDonnell turned and gave that look at the woman with the rash on her face. And I had seen that on all the trailers.

This is easily in the top ten all time stinkers RTE ever foisted on us in 48 years of TV. I would pull it immediately, as it does nothing for anyone involved in it, particularly the cast. If it is pulled quickly and quietly, people might forget it ever existed. That would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Its total CRAP:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Fr. Dougal is irrecoverably damaged after that god awful piece of sheer rubbish. I'd say Ted turned in his grave and to think I fell for the "from the writers of Fr. Ted" bit thinking it would be good. Probably the worst thing on RTÉ since Brendan Grace's interview the last night with Tubridy.

Not as bad as most Irish comedy lately

Which recent decades? :p

I think the upcoming "The Savage Eye" series has some modicum of potential (though it's a sketch format rather than a sitcom). Its pilot effort was the best of a bad lot from RTE's earlier season of comedy try-outs. (Though that sounds like damning it with faint praise.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

That was woeful. Zero laughs, the few jokes there were were totally botched. The editing/directing was amateur.

You can take proven (nigh legendary) writers and proven actors but the second RTE lay their anti-talent mitts on something it falls into a unwatchable mess.

This proves its the unqualified, backslapping clowns in RTE that are the problem, they have never made real television and they drag down the few people in Ireland that ever have. It looks like it was feedbacked to mediocrity.

I mean what the hell... it was lukewarm, aimless filler. RTE should be shut down before they kill off the few scraps of talent left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deckydunbar

In all seriousness who commissions comedy in RTE? What are their qualifications comedy-wise?

paddyland wrote: »
    This is easily in the top ten all time stinkers RTE ever foisted on us in 48 years of TV. I would pull it immediately, as it does nothing for anyone involved in it, particularly the cast.

Ah yes, critical hyperbole for comedic effect. Send some scripts to RTE (actually, best not). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I can see where they are coming from.

However, i didnt laugh. I will give it another go next sunday and I shall reserve judgement until then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

In all seriousness who commissions comedy in RTE? What are their qualifications comedy-wise?

This is Nightlive, The Byrne Ultimnatum, The Lucy Kennedy Show.

The RTE hack in charge of entertainment only ever worked in Prime Time / current affairs previously. No one in there is remotely qualified to made decisions about comedy or broadcasting full stop as they have never worked in a real television station.

Advertisement