Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Warning from AA Road watch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Holy Moley. Great pics, Eliot. Not in Cork right now but heard from the brother that my house survived OK.
    Really sorry for everyone who's affected by this... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Just some more there, apologies if Im clogging up the thread!!

Towards the County Hall
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96600&stc=1&d=1258727872

Other direction:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96598&stc=1&d=1258727835

Castlewhite apartments:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96596&stc=1&d=1258727754

attachment.php?attachmentid=96599&stc=1&d=1258727872

One of the UCC buildings on Western Road
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96597&stc=1&d=1258727771

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sorry if this has been asked already - - -- I am supposed to drive to cork city in the morning - does anyone from Cork know if the roads are passable on the main Dub-Cork route - & right into say as far as MacCurtain Street or along the quays there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Just got these in an email. I don't know who took these photo's, they aren't mine. PDF attached.
    Edit: I also have some pics a few pages back in case anyone missed em.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Updated: 20/11/2009 14:49:57

IN AREAS AFFECTED BY FLOODING, PARTICULARLY CORK AND GALWAY, PEOPLE ARE ADVISED NOT TO TRAVEL. More Flooding in counties Roscommon, Monaghan, Cavan and Leitrim. Click on Live Traffic map for full details. *CORK CITY* Patrick St, Grand Parade and Washington St have re-opened. The following roads are closed; Western Rd, The Mardyke, Carrigrohane Straight and Lee Road. To travel via Cork/Mallow go via the tunnel or South Link Rd. *NORTH CORK* •The Blackwater River has burst its banks in Fermoy; Fermoy Bridge,the Quays are impassable •The Tallow Rd in Fermoy-impassable. •Mallow- the N72 is impassable at Reas Cross also Kilavullen Village. Park Rd is closed. *WEST CORK* •The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd at Innishannon is passable however roadworks will cause delays.Nearby,Bandon town remains impassable. •The N22 Cork/Killarney Rd-passable with care through Crookstown and Cloghdubh.
    *TIPPERARY* •Clonmel Quays and bridges are flooded and impassable. *GALWAY* • The N6 Galway/Dublin Rd is closed at Ballinasloe & Craughwell. Traffic is diverted at Loughrea via the N66 and at Oranmore via the N18 to Gort. However, there is a stop/go system on the N18 Galway/Limerick Rd at Labane and flooding on Crowe St in Gort with diversions in place. • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is blocked at several spots between Carnmore Cross and Monivea. • N17 Galway/Tuam Rd is blocked at Tuam, Claregalway and Loughgeorge. • Most routes around Corofin are impassable as the River Corrib burst its banks. • N59 Galway/Clifden Rd - flooding at Oranswell and Knockranny. • N63 Galway/Roscommon Rd flooding between Newtown Cross and Ballyglunin Cross – passable. • N84 Galway/Headford Rd between Corundulla Cross and Clonboo - passable • The Loughrea/Athenry Rd (R349) is impassable.
    • Travelling to Connemara from the east divert via Westport. Bus Eireann and Irish Rail services have been cancelled. See Travel News for more info. *KERRY* • The N71 Killarney/Kenmare Rd closed at Molls Gap. Divert via Kilgarvan. *WATERFORD* The N72 Lismore/Cappoquin is closed at Ballyrafter Flats. In the city, the following roads remain closed:Old Tramore Rd between Cork Rd and the Ballindud R/A,Inner Ring Rd at Tramore Rd, Cork Rd R/A up to the Folly. Heavy traffic in the Ballytruckle Rd and Ursuline. *KILKENNY* • Flooding on the N9 near Mullinavat, Danesfort and Knocktopher – passable. • The New Ross/Thomastown Rd impassable at Inistioge and the N24 Limerick/Waterford Rd passable with care between Grannagh and Aglish. • Thomastown; the Quay & Marches St impassable. HGVs - no access to Thomastown from Graiguenamanagh or Inistioge *CARLOW* Kennedy St, Centaur St and Marlborough St are closed, use the Bypass. * Leighlinbridge and Tinnahinch are both flooded.
    *N11/WEXFORD* • The N11 is flooded between Kyles Cross and Killurin-diversions, major delays. •Enniscorthy-The main bridge and the quays are closed to traffic. There are major delays on all routes through the town. *CLARE* • Avoid Ennis town, the N18 Gort Rd is closed, delays on all surrounding routes. Only access to Ennis is on the Tulla, Quin and Kilrush Rds. Diversions in place at the Barefield R/A. • The N85 Ennis/Ennistymon Rd is flooded - divert via Inagh. • The N68/Kilrush Rd into Ennis - flooded but passable at Darragh. • The Corofin/Kilfenora Rd is flooded (R476). *LONGFORD* • The N5/Strokestown Rd closed, from the west divert at Kilmore Cross, turn left for Newtownforbes and take N4. • The N5/Strokestown Rd at Willow Park and the N63/Lanesborough Rd at the railway bridge in Town are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Has anyone been in the city centre since lunchtime?
    Has the water subsided in the Grand Parade and South Mall?
    I was planning to go into town tonight. It's meant to be a dry night with the next heavy rain not expected until dawn so I was thinking I'd be safe enough.

Has anyone been in the city centre since lunchtime?
    Has the water subsided in the Grand Parade and South Mall?
    I was planning to go into town tonight. It's meant to be a dry night with the next heavy rain not expected until dawn so I was thinking I'd be safe enough.

I was told that the floods have died down a bit but there's still a lot of surface water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Redisle wrote: »
    Just got these in an email. I don't know who took these photo's, they aren't mine. PDF attached.

is that photo 13 an underground car park in the kingsley, well that is ruined if it is! Savage destruction. Imagine how bad we would be if we got hit my a hurricane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

glanman wrote: »
    is that photo 13 an underground car park in the kingsley, well that is ruined if it is! Savage destruction. Imagine how bad we would be if we got hit my a hurricane!

I wonder if there are many cars down there... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Dunno if this was posted already but anyway:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=124735&id=533115221&ref=mf
    Look at pic number 11 OMg :eek:

Bill-e wrote: »
    Dunno if this was posted already but anyway:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=124735&id=533115221&ref=mf
    Look at pic number 11 OMg :eek:

Yeah, they were posted already. Still unbelievable to see Cork like that. More rain tonight and the ESB are releasing more water from the dam so the prospect of more flooding is very high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Anyone think it would be likely that the area around the College of Commerce/Copley St. Apartments would flood? Probably v. unlikely but might be safer to take the Xbox upstairs.

I feel so sorry for my friend living in a basement flat up the Western Road. Her place got destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Flood warning issued for tomorrow

http://corkcity.ie/news/flood%20alert21Nov09.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Great timing for the releasing of the film 2012.... :D

Anyone here good at Photoshop? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

if the water supply is cut off in the city does that mean all the clubs/pubs will be closed???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

JimBob85 wrote: »
    Flood warning issued for tomorrow

http://corkcity.ie/news/flood%20alert21Nov09.pdf

Even more vague than yesterday's.

nuts86 wrote: »
    if the water supply is cut off in the city does that mean all the clubs/pubs will be closed???

Probably but I don't think it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

nuts86 wrote: »

I hope not, just got tickets for a gig in cyprus avenue tomorrow night and I am really hoping that I will be able to get in there tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Cant even flush the jacks! ****s sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

What my family are doing is keeping an empty wheelie bin open overnight to catch any rainwater. That way we can use that water to flush the toilet the next day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Larkin91 wrote: »
    What my family are doing is keeping an empty wheelie bin open overnight to catch any rainwater. That way we can use that water to flush the toilet the next day. :D

Simple, yet so brilliant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Uh, so is the whole city going to shut down for a few days or what?

I know the rain was exceptionally heavy but does anyone else think the response has been pretty pathetic?

I will spend the evening thinking of the best way to maximise the half litre or so of water I have left in the Brita filter in my fridge. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The East side of the city seemed to be completely un-affected, but then again the Lee does widen a bit by that stage.

Some pics from the Grand Parade around Lunch Time, still impassable (accept army jeeps offcourse :D ):

img0311x.jpg

img0310zf.jpg

img0312ua.jpg

img0313y.jpg

img0314h.jpg

Updated: 20/11/2009 18:18:27

WARNING! HIGH TIDE IN THE WEST IS AT 9PM. WATER LEVELS WILL RISE AGAIN FROM 7:30PM. For more information on all areas click on Live Traffic map. *GALWAY* The as yet unfinished M6 Balinasloe Bypass has temporarily opened so you can now drive from Dublin to Balinasloe but the M6 bypassing Craughwell will not open until 9pm approx. • This is to bypass the flooding and closures on the N6 at Ballinasloe, Loughrea and Craughwell. Single Lane Traffic will be in operation and a strict speed limit of 50km per hr will apply. * The N18 Galway/ Ennis Rd is heavily delayed between Oranmore and Ardrahan at least 45 mins bothways. At Gort there is a diversion due to flooding at Crowe St. • The N17 Galway/Tuam Rd is delayed outbound by 60mins due to flooding at Two Mile Ditch, at Claregalway and at Loughgeorge. • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is blocked at several spots between Carnmore Cross and Monivea.
    *ROSCOMMON* The N63 Roscommon/Galway is closed at Athleague. Divert via McNeal's R/A, Castlecoot, Creggs, Ballygar. The N60 Castlerea/Ballymoe Rd is impassable at Ballymoe. *CLARE* • A number of roads are blocked in Ennis town, including the Gort Rd. The only access is on the Tulla, Quin and Kilrush Rds. • The N85 Ennis/Ennistymon Rd is flooded - divert via Inagh. • The Corofin/Kilfenora Rd is flooded (R476). *CORK CITY* Western Rd, Carrigrohane Straight and Lee Rd remain closed. There's a crash on the Dunkettle R/A and traffic is heavy on all approaches. Also travelling north through the Jack Lynch tunnel is heavy. Douglas is slow from all approaches. *NORTH CORK* • The bridge in Fermoy has reopened to traffic. •Mallow-the N72 remains impassable at Reas Cross. Park Rd is closed. Diversions in place *WEST CORK* The N71 Cork/Bandon Rd is still blocked at Bandon and Innishannon.
    *KILDARE* On the M7 Southbound Gardai are dealing with a crash near J9 Naas North. Expect delays. *LAOIS* 30 min delays both ways on the N8 Dublin/ Cork rd at Abbeyleix. *N11/WEXFORD* • In Enniscorthy the quays have fully reopened to traffic. And earlier delays are easing through the town. *LEITRIM* The Leitrim Rd (R280), Park Lane, Quay St and the N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd at Tesco are all closed in Carrick-on Shannon. Long delays reported in Carrick-on-Shannon. *MAYO* The N5 Longford/Westport Rd is impassable due to flooding at Bellavary. iversions RD* • The N72 Lismore/Cappoquin remains closed at Ballyrafter Flats. Diversions in place. • In Waterford city, the following roads remain closed:Tramore Rd,Old Tramore Rd between Cork Rd and the Ballindud R/A,Inner Ring Rd at Tramore Rd, Cork Rd R/A up to the Folly.It's busy inbound on Ferrybank and Sallypark.Dunmore Rd, Parnell St and the Quays are also busy. *TIPPERARY* • Clonmel's Quays and bridges are flooded and impassable. *CARLOW* In Carlow town, Kennedy St, Castle Hill, Centaur St and Marlborough St are closed.The ring rd is heavy as a result. * Leighlinbridge and Tinnahinch are both flooded. *LONGFORD* • The N5 Longford/Strokestown Rd is closed in Longford town, all westbound traffic must divert left for Newtownforbes. • N63 Longford/Lanesborough Rd is closed at the railway bridge in Longford with diversions via Ballymcormack cemetery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Heres some pictures I took from Victoria Mills down in Victoria Cross this morning. The first picture is a pretty amazing site...http://thewonderfulworldofjoe.com/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

To the two girls asking about the cinema, it is currently open. Enjoy the movie poohbear and undecidedkris. Cant guarantee it will be open all night. River is v high

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

I was driving around town today and by around half three the water was gone from the grand parade

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

kingtut wrote: »
    To the two girls asking about the cinema, it is currently open. Enjoy the movie poohbear and undecidedkris. Cant guarantee it will be open all night. River is v high
    I'm back in Kerry. Its 7pm the tide started coming in yeah? - things could get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'm back in Kerry.
    good call.
    Its 7pm the tide started coming in yeah

yeah, more flood warnings for 7-9 tonight and tomorrow morning.

Advertisement