Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cage Contender (Featherweight)

Options
  • 18-11-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

The next Cage Contender show will be on 5th Feb 2010 at the Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. The main tournament will be fought at featherweight and will run in the std Cage Contender format(ie: knockout contest with £1000 to the winner).

Any clubs or fighters who want to be on the show contact us asap!!! The main tournament will be pro rules and the undercard will be class C

Tickets will be released next week and will make a great Xmas present:D

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EMC_SFT

should be great....there's a lot of great fighters around at 66kg but av d say if jo clark's in it he'll defs be my favourite d win, he just seems d destroy every1 he fites n i cant see many featherweights beating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

From what ive heard of the fighters that are signed up for this Joe would have a very hard time. Featherweight in Ireland holds some of the toughest fighters around, its very stacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EMC_SFT

gud point and i agree, i dont know who is in it but im jus sayin from what iv seen of him,i definitely consider him to be one of the best fighters on the circuit at that weight, there is no denying there is some great fighters at that weight and it might actually be the toughest weight category in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

EMC_SFT wrote: »
    gud point and i agree, i dont know who is in it but im jus sayin from what iv seen of him,i definitely consider him to be one of the best fighters on the circuit at that weight, there is no denying there is some great fighters at that weight and it might actually be the toughest weight category in the country...

Just out of interest guys, who do you see as the top irish featherweights??

John
    Cage Contender, 5 Feb 2010, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus
    www.fight.ie

fightie wrote: »
    Just out of interest guys, who do you see as the top irish featherweights??

Theres Loads.
    In no Particular order:
    Mick Leonard (EFR Champion)
    Tim Murphy (TW Champion)
    Kevin Carney (Spartan Champion)
    Steve McCombe (FW and BW)
    Damo Rooney (FW and BW)
    Peter Wilson
    Ben Davis
    Seb Torres
    Johnny Doey
    Shane Thomas
    Paul Cowzer
    Gary Morris
    Owen Roddy
    Jonny McGillion

No offence to Joe Clarke but at the minute i feel he would struggle to beat many of these guys. However hes at a good stable that wouldnt push him into fights too soon so i dont think it would happen anyway. Give him a few years and he will be up there but now... no.

• Advertisement

EMC_SFT wrote: »
    it might actually be the toughest weight category in the country...

The LW division is the toughest in Ireland without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 McManus

Theres Loads.
    In no Particular order:
    Tim Murphy (TW Champion)
    Damo Rooney (FW and BW)
    Peter Wilson
    Ben Davis
    Seb Torres
    Johnny Doey
    Shane Thomas
    Paul Cowzer
    Gary Morris
    Owen Roddy
    Jonny McGillion

No offence to Joe Clarke but at the minute i feel he would struggle to beat any of these guys. However hes at a good stable that wouldnt push him into fights too soon so i dont think it would happen anyway. Give him a few years and he will be up there but now... no.

Joe Clarke has already beat 2 people on the list! He has beat Johnny McGillion and Peter Wilson, Everytime i have seen him fight he gets better, most of his fights have been semi pro and he has still to prove himself at pro and i have no doubt that he will prove himself!

The list above isnt a list of people Joe Clarke cant beat so dont make it into that. Those people are who i would consider the top Featherweights like John from Fight.ie asked.
    Again as you say im sure Joe will prove himself at pro ut as of now he hasnt. Like anyone else he will build up to fight the best. Not jump in at the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

kevin Mc alonan is without doubt one of irelands finest at feather weight..
    especially with his recent win over the highly ranked and respected fred fernandez..

what about owen roddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Owen Roddy is on the list.

+1 for Kevin McAlonan, I think we got it in our heads he was Lightweight, now he is back down to featherweight he is one to watch,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 McManus

What about Norman Parkes i know he beat Ben Davis recently was this at featherweight?

Ok,

lets put it all out in the open, its most likely going to be a 4 man contest again

which 4 men would you like to see battle it out?

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Kevin or stevie from EFR (damo is a bantam??)
    Tim
    Ben
    Owen

for me stand out a bit, though plenty others could make it from marty walkers list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

fightie wrote: »
    Ok,

lets put it all out in the open, its most likely going to be a 4 man contest again

which 4 men would you like to see battle it out?

Mark

Will it be five minute rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

its always 3 min rds, the 2 shows so far have been

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

The Cage Contender format is 3x3.

The reason for this is that fighters are being asked to fight more than one fight in a short space of time (sometimes less than an hour between fights). Should their first fight go the distance with 3x5 that would be 15 minutes of hard gruel, followed by an hour of rest, then maybe the same.

For fighter safety (tired guys are more likely to make dangerous mistakes, or drop guard and get serriously KO'd) and out of fairness we decieded that 3x3 makes more sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

McManus wrote: »
    What about Norman Parkes i know he beat Ben Davis recently was this at featherweight?

That fight wasn't at featherweight. It was fought at ~69 kg I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I know it wasn't at featherweight.

Here is the poster for the Cage Contender Featherweight Competition

Tickets will be available from ticketmaster today/tomorrow, will post that link once i have it.

MMA_clarion_feb2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

McManus wrote: »

Norman is Lightweight, see MMA Universe for more, Ollie triangled the correct when he said it was a catch weight fight, not fought at 65 as Norman is too big to make that weight.

Both men had late pull outs in different fights and Ben stepped up to fight a bigger fighter on short notice, and I think he acquitted himself well.

The Son of Life remains undefeated at featherweight, and we are looking forward to this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

Norman is Lightweight, see MMA Universe for more, Ollie triangled the correct when he said it was a catch weight fight, not fought at 65 as Norman is too big to make that weight.

Both men had late pull outs in different fights and Ben stepped up to fight a bigger fighter on short notice, and I think he acquitted himself well.

The Son of Life remains undefeated at featherweight, and we are looking forward to this tournament.

Yeh Cant Wait!!!!!...FeatherWeight an Lightweight i think are arguably the best catogories!!!...Speed, Power, agillity= Exciting stuff!

• Advertisement

Ive just signed up for my own account, john will now be the sole user of the fightie username, and i will use this one: markfightie

To avoid confusion as to who you are speaking to.

Mark

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wayne1

ok i put the 3 champions in

Tim Murphy (TW Champion)
    and i put( paul cowser )
    i think that be a great show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

"Yeh Cant Wait!!!!!...FeatherWeight an Lightweight i think are arguably the best catogories!!!...Speed, Power, agillity= Exciting stuff! "

I find that terribly offensive to big boned people. icon9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I'm really looking forward to this one.

From the talk here it sounds like its the most competitive weight group. I can't see any reason why the top fighters won't want to have a go and prove who is the best.

Anakin.S wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this one.

From the talk here it sounds like its the most competitive weight group. I can't see any reason why the top fighters won't want to have a go and prove who is the best.

I totally agree, as well as bragging rights remember the winner also gets £1000

We can confirm that Sebastian Torres and Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis have already entered the contest

John
    Cage Contender (Featherweight), 5 Feb 2010, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus
    www.fight.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

I'd love to see
    1.Kevin Mc Alonan
    2.Tim Murphy
    3.Owen Roddy
    4.Mick leonard
    Now that would be a good 4 man tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Theres Loads.
    In no Particular order:
    Tim Murphy (TW Champion)
    Damo Rooney (FW and BW)
    Peter Wilson
    Ben Davis
    Seb Torres
    Johnny Doey
    Shane Thomas
    Paul Cowzer
    Gary Morris
    Owen Roddy
    Jonny McGillion

No offence to Joe Clarke but at the minute i feel he would struggle to beat many of these guys. However hes at a good stable that wouldnt push him into fights too soon so i dont think it would happen anyway. Give him a few years and he will be up there but now... no.
    That list is unreal lol

Martys is right, for now anyway;) my wins over jonny and peter dont credit me in anyway for my professional carear. Both are doing amazing and pro.

And when i do turn pro (early next year) i will be fighting an bantamweight (61kg)

joe

kid chaos wrote: »
    That list is unreal lol

Martys is right, for now anyway;) my wins over jonny and peter dont credit me in anyway for my professional carear. Both are doing amazing and pro.

And when i do turn pro (early next year) i will be fighting an bantamweight (61kg)

joe

We can confrim that Joe Clarke will be on the undercard of this show!!!!

John
    www.fight.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Does Damo Rooney make bantam?

• Advertisement

Roper wrote: »
    Does Damo Rooney make bantam?

Yes Barry, I was chattin to Damo on thursday and he was saying he is bantam

J

Advertisement