Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

Grim. wrote: »
    finally got efibre last week

nice upgrade from 8Mbs

5059979985.png

Normal bolloxollogy has returned. Supposed 70mb connection.:(

5080841633.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

My conn's been suffering at peak times too. Maybe the network is congested again.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Massive upgrade from a 8 MB max connection with my new ISP :). That's rural BB in the sthicks ^^

5081726927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

jca wrote: »
    Lord Jaysus that's dire.

Yep, it is pretty terrible jca. I was struggling to get 2Mps DL this eve :(

We have told Carnsore and they say they are upgrading the network....I can be patient ......but it does make me wonder how they can charge the full price for the current service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

morgana wrote: »
    Massive upgrade from a 8 MB max connection with my new ISP :). That's rural BB in the sthicks ^^

5081726927.png

Is that wimax? Where are you based is it expensive? Great speed in fairness.

• Advertisement

improv_12 wrote: »
    Yep, it is pretty terrible jca. I was struggling to get 2Mps DL this eve :(

We have told Carnsore and they say they are upgrading the network....I can be patient ......but it does make me wonder how they can charge the full price for the current service....

Nothing as bad you'd be better with no connection than that muck. I had the same experience with sky DSL BB it was enough to tip me over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Is that wimax? Where are you based is it expensive? Great speed in fairness.

No its not WImax afaik, it's some kind of LTE technology I think. I am in North Cork, the product is called Imagine Fibre Connect (promising up to 100 Mb/s) with an average of 60). 60 Euro/month for a 20 Gig/day allowance with throttling till midnight if you go over). There are two areas where this is live atm -North Cork and Kildare. They only started to accept orders in North Cork about 2 weeks ago. (See also here). And so far I'm consistently getting over 60 Mb/s over a wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is that wimax?

TDD-LTE

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We'll probably see a formal publication from COMREG soon detailing who's been licensed in those bands. It would be nice to see at least two operators take it on to start a bit of a land grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    We'll probably see a formal publication from COMREG soon detailing who's been licensed in those bands. It would be nice to see at least two operators take it on to start a bit of a land grab.

All existing FWALA rights of use in the 3.6 GHz band will end on 31 July 2017. Consultation on the auction process is underway.

The current licences are technology neutral, so licensees can use their preferred technology. Current licensees and their areas of coverage can be seen here (under 3.5 GHz band) - http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

The Bweeng site, from the other thread, is licensed to Imagine on Ch. E (3410-3424MHz/3510-3524MHz), 2x14 MHz/28 MHz FDD/TDD.

This from Imagine in a previous consultation submission
    The Imagine TD LTE service has been fully tested and ready to deploy. With clarity on the continuation of our licences we estimate that Imagine can service up to 500K customers by December 2018 with NGA services they would otherwise be unable to access.

Under the current business plan, Imagine will be rolling out a TD LTE fixed wireless network of 933 sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    Normal bolloxollogy has returned. Supposed 70mb connection.:(

5080841633.png

5099123159.png

Speeds back up a bit but not a patch on original speeds. Eir tell me the max on my line is 40mbs but I was 80mbs when I got efibre two weeks ago. Could it be the case of them cutting line speed to meet demand....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just got Sky Fibre 100mb put in yesterday afternoon, this is what I'm getting right now:

5102612422.png

Would this be normal for such early days? Previously had Virgin so line that Sky are using was not in use for some time so maybe its just because its so new?

Techmaster wrote: »
    Just got Sky Fibre 100mb put in yesterday afternoon, this is what I'm getting right now:

5102612422.png

Would this be normal for such early days? Previously had Virgin so line that Sky are using was not in use for some time so maybe its just because its so new?

Few options here:

A. Sky have had Sierra out but KNN have not visited the cab yet, you're on ADSL not "Fiber". Most likely. EDIT: Not possible.

B. Botched install, something was done incorrectly and thus the line is way under performing

C. You're WAYYYY away from the cab and should never have be sold it in the first place.

Put you phone number in here and paste back the results (without the number):
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Few options here:

A. Sky have had Sierra out but KNN have not visited the cab yet, you're on ADSL not "Fiber". Most likely. EDIT: Not possible.

B. Botched install, something was done incorrectly and thus the line is way under performing

C. You're WAYYYY away from the cab and should never have be sold it in the first place.

Put you phone number in here and paste back the results (without the number):
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Line results from that link:

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 100 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Most likely its just a wrong profile so, or its botched. Call Sky, chances are they'll have you sorted out within a few minutes on the phone. Just ask tech support to move you to the maximum profile.

Most likely its just a wrong profile so, or its botched. Call Sky, chances are they'll have you sorted out within a few minutes on the phone. Just ask tech support to move you to the maximum profile.

Grand, will do that now and let you know.

Rang them, I'm still on ADSL as the Fibre service doesn't kick in til this coming week. No hassle, will report back with another speed test after it kicks in :) Hoping for at least more than 70mbps considering my line can go to 100mbps. Fingers crossed anyway as I'm delighted with the €49 deal otherwise :)

Techmaster wrote: »
    Rang them, I'm still on ADSL as the Fibre service doesn't kick in til this coming week. No hassle, will report back with another speed test after it kicks in :) Hoping for at least more than 70mbps considering my line can go to 100mbps. Fingers crossed anyway as I'm delighted with the €49 deal otherwise :)

Sky tell everyone their line can do 100 meg. How far are you from your cabinet?

Sky tell everyone their line can do 100 meg. How far are you from your cabinet?

No he can, see the prequal result he posted.

He actually isnt on ADSL, but the order hasnt completed yet so sky thinks he is.

He actually isnt on ADSL, but the order hasnt completed yet so sky thinks he is.

Aren't all fibre cabs on 100 meg. Maybe it's just me but I have absolutely no faith in sky's BB service at all. They told a work colleagues brother he was on a brilliant line easily get 100 meg when in fact he's in a house that was built in the 60's and is a direct to the exchange line. You need to bring a flask and sandwiches with you if you wanted to trace the convoluted route his pair take back to the exchange!!!! Needless to remark it wasn't a happy union with sky eventually letting him free after 6 months.

• Advertisement

As above, please READ.

This is based on a result from the Digiweb checker which is a direct copy of the eir database. If it shows 100Mb for a line then the MTAU in the DSLAM thinks its a really short loop.

As above, please READ.

This is based on a result from the Digiweb checker which is a direct copy of the eir database. If it shows 100Mb for a line then the MTAU in the DSLAM thinks its a really short loop.

I can read, no need to get so smart about it. We'll see what sky do for him in the coming week, sfa I'd imagine if they can't tell the difference between DSL and fibre and tell him lies as well. That digiweb checker told me I could get 100 meg and that was before vectoring was enabled on my cab.

Speed test from Virgin's supposed 360Mb:

5105786740.png

While not slow, it's way below what I should be getting and every night it's the same. A speed test around 11am gives me 370 down, 37 up so it's obviously congestion.

Doesn't matter now anyway because I've given my cancellation notice, all the dodgy routing was the final straw for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Karsini wrote: »

5105786740.png

While not slow, it's way below what I should be getting and every night it's the same. A speed test around 11am gives me 370 down, 37 up so it's obviously congestion.

Doesn't matter now anyway because I've given my cancellation notice, all the dodgy routing was the final straw for me.
    Hi is that wired or wireless speedtest

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi is that wired or wireless speedtest
    Wired to a desktop PC with Cat6 cable.

5105786740.png

Who do you plan to switch to?

Will let you know tomorrow night/Wed. morning what my speed is after the Fibre kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

5105786740.png

Unless you can get FTTH you're not going to do any better. Would you rather be giving your money to Eir or Vodafone?

Mine can be a little variable, bur never drops to those speeds. At least the upload remains consistent. Have you asked them what he story is?

Switched to VF on Friday, very happy with this, 5106961935.png

• Advertisement

I went to Eir yesterday. I don't really care about raw speed, I'd much rather a stable 50 meg connection over an unstable 360. Plus with Virgin's dodgy routing as of late, it might feel quicker despite the max throughput being lower.

Advertisement